Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magic Tweak
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Azralon
QUOTE (blakkie)
You just didn't actually accomplish anything thing of worth

Your opinion on something that has no effect upon you. Leave it at that; let it drop.
blakkie
QUOTE (Azralon)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Nov 3 2005, 10:06 PM)
You just didn't actually accomplish anything thing of worth

Your opinion on something that has no effect upon you. Leave it at that; let it drop.

What, you have a problem with adding up the dice???? It certainly didn't accomplish the actual underlying goal of changing it from unbounded awakeneds. It doesn't help Eyeless Blond while he's playing his canon mechinics.

Oh, and nice job clipping off the last part of my sentence. It's a "finger in the ear, la-la-la i can't hear what i don't want to" stunt right up there with your "no effect" one. Drop it? Ya, i'll drop it in the Vacuous Bin...right where you and it belong.
Azralon
<pat pat>
blakkie
QUOTE (Azralon)
<pat pat>

Oops, that's where that smell was coming from. I forgot to put the lid back on the Vacuous Bin. embarrassed.gif
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Gothic Rose)
Because, you know, the hacker who's in line of sight of the unaugmented Sniper who's aiming at his head is going to have a chance.

No. Magicians kill people with magic. They do it very very well. A Sniper kills people with sniper rifles. He does this very very well.

Magic SHOULD be feared. And mundanes aren't completely without hope - a mundane character has a better than average chance of having a higher EDGE than the mage, and, thus, can add his edge to that resistance test. And then blast the hell out of the mage.

My problem is where magic gets *so* powerful that it becomes the hammer and everything else is the nail. Except, notably, hacking, though that's easily solved by a relatively cheap Hacker-in-a-box Agent these days. High-level Magic Snipes better than the sniper, Sammys better than the Sam, etc etc.

Hm. Edge does seem to be a good equalizer though, but even that's bounded. I guess it's not an issue that really comes up in practical terms, but it does rather bother me as a design issue, and will become especially important when people stert working on ways to make the game more extendable.
PlatonicPimp
I plan on solving the problem much more easily. When my characters get that much power, it's time to retire the campaign, mundane or awakened.
Eyeless Blond
"Oop, your character hit his fifth initiation. Suddenly rocks fall; everyone dies."

"But we're in the middle of a vast, featureless plain-"

"Rocks FALL! Everyone DIES!"

smile.gif
Fortune
I absolutely despise GM-forced retirement.
Gothic Rose
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)

Hm. Edge does seem to be a good equalizer though, but even that's bounded. I guess it's not an issue that really comes up in practical terms, but it does rather bother me as a design issue, and will become especially important when people stert working on ways to make the game more extendable.

Obviously your own opinions are your own, and you're entitled to them. smile.gif But I'm afraid I have to disagree, I think it makes perfect sense that magic becomes more powerful.

If Magic (and Razor) didn't make you BETTER than a Mundane, why would you have either? There's no tactical advantage to Razor or Magic if it doesn't Enhance or Augment your capabilities.

Look at the setting, in it's original, comprehensive form. Magic WINS. Look to Earthdawn to find out why. There's a reason why, in that game (which is the ancient world of SR) ALL PC's are Awakened.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012