Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magic Tweak
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Eyeless Blond
What do you suppose would happen to game balance is mages swapped Magic and their tradition's stat for conjuring and sorcery tests? What I mean is, for instance:

1) Mage rolls (Attribute)+Sorcery skill to cast a spell, like Logic+Spellcasting for a hermetic, or Charisma+Spellcasting for a shaman
2) Mage rolls Magic+Willpower for Drain.

I'm thinking this could be a good idea for limiting the power of mages in the long term. This way, instead of using the cap-less Magic attribute for actual spellcasting--thus as you gain in power easily overshadowing the Opposed character's dice pool--they "only" use their attribute cap-breaking Magic stat to help resist Drain. It also makes that primary stat for a mage's tradition even more integral to their actual spellcasting rather than Drain, which makes more sense to me flavor-wise.

So, what do you think? Am I missing something important?
Squinky
Sounds cool to me...
Dread Polack
So, the Magic attribute would still cap the force of a spell, but your spellcasting test would rely on a different stat?

First, this would turn casting into more of a skill than a talent, since you'd either have to be smart, intuitive, charismatic, etc. to cast, than simply have pure magical power to cast.

Second, this would mean casters would have two separate attributes they'd want to buy up even more than before. If you want your spells to work well, you'd need 2 high attributes instead of one. Of course, if most of your spells don't particularly need to be cast at high force (for whatever reason), then you could lower your magic, and raise your spellcasting-linked attribute.

If you try it in out, let us know.

Dread Polack
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Dread Polack)
So, the Magic attribute would still cap the force of a spell, but your spellcasting test would rely on a different stat?

Exactly. As before, Magic still determines the max Force for spells and spirits, the base area on all area effects, the line between regular casting and overcasting, the max number of Foci bondable, etc.

First, this would turn casting into more of a skill than a talent, since you'd either have to be smart, intuitive, charismatic, etc. to cast, than simply have pure magical power to cast.

Yes, exactly! If all mages had to do was will things to happen and they did, then why would traditions be so important? I mean, all it is right now is a Drain stat; under this idea the tradition attribute would be much more important to the actual practice, rather than the practice's impact on the user, which I think would really be interesting.

Second, this would mean casters would have two separate attributes they'd want to buy up even more than before. If you want your spells to work well, you'd need 2 high attributes instead of one. Of course, if most of your spells don't particularly need to be cast at high force (for whatever reason), then you could lower your magic, and raise your spellcasting-linked attribute.

Well you want both attributes high anyway, as the other one still deals with Drain and is important for that reason, as well as all the other things Magic is important for.

Unfortunately the only game I'm involved with at the moment is a bit stickier about the rules, being very long-runing and a bit widespread.
blakkie
Well, without further modification to the rules, Power foci would not be usuable for your Spellcasting Test. They'd only work on Drain, which they don't work with right now. Well in RAW Power foci do kinda influence Drain if you rule that the Power foci increase the maximum Force you can cast at (wording is vague on this) like they did in SR3. Otherwise, hrmmm, it'd be kinda wierd since all those skills would have variable Linked skills. But *shrug*, doesn't seem horrible.

At first blush i don't really like how heavily it favours Elf shamans and hinders Troll magicians and most Ork magicians (outside of whatever Traditions will use Intuition). Right now those two can sort of tough out the drain because they have room for an extra couple of Physical boxes, and through Initiation (Centering metamagic) the difference is more buried.

But still an interesting idea.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Oct 29 2005, 12:53 PM)
What do you suppose would happen to game balance is mages swapped Magic and their tradition's stat for conjuring and sorcery tests? What I mean is, for instance:

[...]

So, what do you think? Am I missing something important?

It would make magicians in general more powerful. It would make combat oriented initiates in specific twice as powerful.

For combat spells, base damage is determined by Force while drain is determined Force/2.

Every net success on the spellcasting test increases the damage while every net success on a drain resistance test reduces the drain damage.

An increase in force by 2 adds 1 to the drain code but 2 to the damage damage code.
As a result, an average of 1 extra success on a drain resistance test is worth an average of 2 extra successes on the spellcasting test, assuming that the magician is playing the numbers (and he should).

So, 3 drain resistance dice are worth 6 spellcasting dice in combat.

With other spells it is a little less clear cut. However, a magician able to cast with less drain is able to cast more often.
Shemhazai
I think this is an intriguing idea. Maybe it works that way in space, or on certain metaplanes. You rule the universe, so you can make it however you want.

But hyzmarca has it exactly right. Imagine this character:

Gets the Aptitude (Spellcasting) Quality for 10 BP. Pays to pump it up to 7 (only 32 total BP). Perhaps pays 10 BP to get Focused Quality (10 more BP) to max out Qualities (Being a magician cost 15 BP for a total of 35 BP.).

Here is where the fun begins. They initiate and choose Quicken as their first metamagic power. They Quicken Increased Logic to the max. Their spellcasting pool would be 9 + 7!! That is a starting point of 16 dice, not accounting for focuses, finding their mentor spirit, etc. That amount is very early on in character development. Just 23-30ish Karma so far. And what if the character does stuff to get even more dice?

Now Drain will always be on-par with Max force. This could be a gravy train. Getting Magic to some insanely high level, such as 8. To do that optimally would take 40 BP for a starting Magic of 5, 18 Karma for 6, 21 more Karma for 7 (the character has initiated once already. The next initiate level costs 16 and it takes 24 more to get Magic to 8. Total Karma spent to do this is 23-30ish + 79. Ouch, over 100.

But now tossing Force 16 spells with 16 base dice pool and resisting drain with 18 dice (remember Focused Quality). Base drain is 8, give or take +/- drain code modifier. With 18 dice, 6 hits are expected so it often reduces down nicely. But base damage of 16 plus 5 or more hits on average? 21 less hits made by opponent on Body or Willpower alone. Spells cast at level 8 will seldom cause significant drain, but will be very powerful.

Still, somebody could do the same thing with the rules as they are now. Just Quicken Increased Willpower as well and you have the same kind of powerhouse. In the truly sick instance of charcters getting Magic of 10 I am envisioning something like 16 dice to cast 20 level spells with base drain of 10+/- and 20 drain resistance dice. Those will actually hurt big time. The spells at force 10, however, will still be generally negated drainwise.

The final insult is when that character Quickens their reflexes so they are doing this four times a round. Also remember a magician can split her spellcasting dice pool among multiple targets in the same complex action. Her new nickname is Death Blossom. Casting four or more very powerful spells per round with hardly ever experiencing drain.

And then she asks, "Since when do dragons work as security guards?" eek.gif
Eyeless Blond
To be honest Shemhazai most of that isn't a flaw with *my* idea so much as a flaw in the magic system as a whole, in particular the Increase Attribute spells. All of those exploits are possible as before, and all would have a similar benefit. The only real difference is that you can't initiate a bunch of times and get even *higher* in in your spellcasting pool; now that you've hit a cap that's about as far as you go.

hyzmarca makes a good point. Unfortunately this kind of ballooning is already possible with Centering anyway.
Azralon
I find myself liking the idea quite a bit. It does make the magical skills more skill-like (mechanically and thematically), while making the Magic attribute into a better measure of how much power you can safely channel.

True, there are some short-term gains for magicians with attribute boost spells. In fact, one might consider chainboosting their spellcasting attribute since the second casting could potentially get more hits than the first.

Longterm, however, it really caps the effectiveness of the magical skills. Your skill and your linked attribute can get only so high before capping, and under the proposed system it's your drain-handling capacity that has no hard limit.

Again, I like this because gunslingers run into the same "I can get only so many hits" situation as it stands. That is to say, it brings magicians and non-magicians more in line.

The shifted value of foci are the only bothersome complications I see. Yes, elven shamans basically get +2 to cast rather than +2 to drain. Yes, trolls make less effective tankmages. I don't see those as thematic problems as they mesh with the genre.
PlatonicPimp
There may be one other side effect of this adaptation: Force of spells. Since the force of a spell limits the amount of hits you can get on the spell, it serves as a cap on magical power. No matter how awesome your dice pool, a force 5 spell will allow no more than 5 hits. Now since force is limited by magic, this rarely comes up under the current system. However, if the spellcasting test has a "cap", then there will be a practical limit to how high a force spell you will ever need to cast. If your spellcasting pool is logic + spellcasting, no matter how high your magic rating is, you will never want to cast a spell at a force higher than about 1/s your die pool. And since that pool never increases with initiation, High level casters will never have any reason to use the high force spells they are capable of casting, since they will not be any more effective than the low force spells they could cast as a newbie.
2bit
"Magic can theoretically do anything" has always been one of the philosophies of SR magic.

Magic has no limits. You do. That's why it's the way it is.
Azralon
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
No matter how awesome your dice pool, a force 5 spell will allow no more than 5 hits. Now since force is limited by magic, this rarely comes up under the current system.

QUOTE (me)
I like this because gunslingers run into the same "I can get only so many hits" situation as it stands. That is to say, it brings magicians and non-magicians more in line.

QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
High level casters will never have any reason to use the high force spells they are capable of casting, since they will not be any more effective than the low force spells they could cast as a newbie.

Not so; an off-the-cuff example would be damaging spells which still have a base DV equal to their Force + net Hits.

With regard to other spells, you're still Hit-capped by the Force but even if you're throwing an average 4 hits, there will be times that the (Attribute)+Spellcasting dice will offer you more than 4. Obviously with a higher Force spell, the happy end of the bell curve will actually be profitable rather than wasted.
PlatonicPimp
QUOTE (Azralon)

With regard to other spells, you're still Hit-capped by the Force but even if you're throwing an average 4 hits, there will be times that the (Attribute)+Spellcasting dice will offer you more than 4. Obviously with a higher Force spell, the happy end of the bell curve will actually be profitable rather than wasted.

After a certain point the bell curve ends. You cannot score more hits than you have dice in your dice pool. Even before that point, there is a very limited return. Why would I cast a high force spell for the slight chance that it will be better than a low force spell, when the increase in drain is a sure thing?

If you use the swap as described, there will be a certain upper end to what magic can do, but after a certain amount of initiation, it will cease to be draining. Mages will never cast a spell at a force higher than what they can reasonably hope to score on their test, and the attribute they use to resist drain will be uncapped. While you may be comfortable with these changes, I'd like to submit that they go against the fundamental nature of magic in the shadowrun universe, where the limitation on magic is not effect (See great ghost dance), but the drain it takes to accomplish that level of magic (Again, great ghost dance.) The fundamental feel of magic in the shadowrun setting is that it can do anything, you just have to find out how and be willing to make the sacrifices needed. Unlimited potential, draining. Power is something you just have to reach out to find, Drain is not just something unskilled magicians have to worry about.
Fortune
QUOTE (2bit)
"Magic can theoretically do anything" has always been one of the philosophies of SR magic.

Magic has no limits. You do. That's why it's the way it is.

This is simply not true. Shadowrun Magic has always had very specific limitations, in that it cannot actually be used for time travel or teleportation.
Eyeless Blond
And further magic can do anything, but metahumanity certainly cannot.

It's interesting to note that the Great Ghost Dance is imporrible to perform under any actual SR rules. The number of members of a ritual team has always been limited by ritual spellcasting skill, which now has a cap and before would have required thousands of karma for each participating magician.
blakkie
This has come up before; The GGD was actually more of a series of different ritual casting groups acting at roughly the same time, and with general common [political] purpose. It was not a single Ritual Spellcasting.
Azralon
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
Why would I cast a high force spell for the slight chance that it will be better than a low force spell, when the increase in drain is a sure thing?

If you use the swap as described, there will be a certain upper end to what magic can do, but after a certain amount of initiation, it will cease to be draining.

You (perhaps inadvertently) hit upon one of my points.

Under the purely hypothetical tweak, eventually high-Force spells would cease to be draining to high-level initates. Therefore -- per your own reasoning and mine -- those ubercasters would be able to afford to casually cast at very high Force.

This would also apply to summoning, of course, but that hasn't been the focus of the discussion.

Regarding the upper limits of magic: Yes, there would be an upper limit to the number of hits possible. However, ultimately Force would still be unlimited so Magic continues to be infinite in scope (things you can do) as well as magnitude (sheer power).

I liken it to nuclear bombs as AoE weapons. There's going to be a point where you just can't place the device at a more ideal ground zero, but the explosive force is limited only by your technology at hand.
Azralon
QUOTE (blakkie)
This has come up before; The GGD was actually more of a series of different ritual casting groups acting at roughly the same time, and with general common [political] purpose. It was not a single Ritual Spellcasting.

Also, it was using a form of plot-device-only blood magic and therefore isn't subject to normal game rules. smile.gif
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Azralon)
Regarding the upper limits of magic: Yes, there would be an upper limit to the number of hits possible. However, ultimately Force would still be unlimited so Magic continues to be infinite in scope (things you can do) as well as magnitude (sheer power).

Some things are directly force dependent - such as the damage that a Manabolt inflicts. I am not sure that it is anything like a good idea to set up a situation where damage is theoretically unlimited but protection is not.

-Frank
Cynic project
Well, to be honest look at the world around you.It is easier to destroy things than protect things. I mean How do you stop the damage of a nuke once the bomb goes off?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Cynic project)
Well, to be honest look at the world around you.It is easier to destroy things than protect things. I mean How do you stop the damage of a nuke once the bomb goes off?

A very massive wall.
PlatonicPimp
QUOTE (Azralon)

That's the problem, though. A high force spell is only good if you can make the hits to back it up. (Outside of direct damge spells.) It doesn't matter if you can cast a force 40 spell, if you only have a die pool if 16 or so. Any force higher than the number of hits you get is wasted, but you still take drain for it.

So now, magic is no loger unlimited, because your casting dice pool will never be high enough to get the hits to acheive high force effects.
blakkie
Unfortunately "direct damge spells" works out to be a pretty damn big exception. frown.gif
Shemhazai
This would be great for player characters. Even though it is theoretically possible for a magician to become a god, PCs are limited by the massive amounts of Karma it takes to achieve this. This tweak would limit NPCs in an even more restrictive way, while at the same time allowing PCs to max out magically in a very short time. Dragons, Harlequin and other NPCs with awesome magical abilities would be far less formidable.
blakkie
Ironically it would give GD, in SR4 RAW, an extra die for the Spellcasting Test. eek.gif But those stats are wierd since they don't have any Initiate Grades.
Eyeless Blond
Note that dragons (and presumably IEs too) break the skill caps, as well they should given what they are. (This is entirely beside my opinion that they should all die slowly and painfully, along with whoever decided that LA could become an island, but I digress.)

Hm, an interesting point brought up about high-Force not meaning anything for most spells, but being really important for combat spells. Is there an easy fix for this, because it seems like this would be a problem in the canon SR4, what with Centering allowing a theoretically infinite number of Drain dice just as my proposal does.
blakkie
The metahuman Skill cap isn't really broken by them per say. It simply does not nessasarily apply to them, nor to Spirits and such.

EDIT: It would of course cause many contortions if a player tried to play something that wasn't constrained by something near metahuman levels of Skill/Attribute cap.

Average hits from Centering is outpaced by Magic increases 3 to 1, and since maximum Force increases at double the rate of Magic, and Drain for most spells at 1/2 the rate of Force. Therefore average hits on the Drain test will increase at only 1/3 the rate of Magic increase. Since the cost of each point of Magic starts at 34 karma for Magic 7 and increase by 6 karma each point, the rise to that theoretical inifinite is fairly subdued.

EDIT: Also the risk of larger net Drain damage increases. Eventually you need to slow down your increase in Force cast even more so since even a moderately below average Drain Test roll could be extremely dangerous.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (blakkie)
Average hits from Centering is outpaced by Magic increases 3 to 1, and since maximum Force increases at double the rate of Magic, and Drain for most spells at 1/2 the rate of Force. Therefore average hits on the Drain test will increase at only 1/3 the rate of Magic increase. Since the cost of each point of Magic starts at 34 karma for Magic 7 and increase by 6 karma each point, the rise to that theoretical inifinite is fairly subdued.

EDIT: Also the risk of larger net Drain damage increases. Eventually you need to slow down your increase in Force cast even more so since even a moderately below average Drain Test roll could be extremely dangerous.

Yes, well, all of this applies exactly the same to my proposal. Just replace "Centering" with "Magic Attribute", as Magic is the source of the "infinite increase to Drain rolls" that everyone's talking about.

Centering, btw, would probably change to something else, though God alone knows what; maybe a complimentary skill for Spellcasting? That would still put a more manageable cap on the actual casting test than currently exists.
Azralon
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Nov 2 2005, 02:57 PM)
Centering, btw, would probably change to something else, though God alone knows what; maybe a complimentary skill for Spellcasting? That would still put a more manageable cap on the actual casting test than currently exists.

There you go. Use the ol' function of Centering for more effectiveness instead of drain reduction. When you center, you get your Initiate Grade in dice on the Sorcery or Conjuring test. It'd be a pool modifier, not a skill modifier, so wouldn't hit the cap.

That'd be a proper role-flip (befitting the proposed change's flip itself) and would allow for the theoretically infinite scalability of power some folks are worried about.

The high-Force spells are already extremely easy to spot, so overt chanting or finger-wiggling for extra oomph keeps with mechanic and theme.
blakkie
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Nov 2 2005, 12:57 PM)
Yes, well, all of this applies exactly the same to my proposal. Just replace "Centering" with "Magic Attribute", as Magic is the source of the "infinite increase to Drain rolls" that everyone's talking about.

Ah, another change. You'll get rid of Centering (the actual function of, whether or not you keep the name) to avoid picking up 2/3 a hit per Magic/Grade pairing.

Er, it would add dice at the same rate as Magic. wobble.gif Only a bit ahead of Magic since you increase your Grade cheaply before you spend the bigger chunk of karma on the point of Magic, and could also (assuming no magic loss) actually get a couple Spellcasting dice out ahead of the curve by Initiating a bit more ahead of the Magic increase.

Even moreso if you are an Elf Shaman that can get a couple of relatively cheap Cha dice about the base 6.

.... and it all starts to kinda look like same turd, different pile, different name tag. Only the first pile wasn't that bad to start with. wink.gif
Azralon
Lemme sum up what I'm thinking in an example:

* Hermetic casts a spell with Force X. If X > his Magic, he takes Physical Drain. He cannot cast a spell higher than double his Magic.
* To determine hits, he rolls Logic + Spellcasting (+ Spell Focus) (+ Initiate Grade if Centering).
* To soak drain, he uses Magic + Willpower (+ Power Focus).

So when someone initiates -- provided they take Centering -- they're getting an addition +1 "to hit" automatically. They still need to increase their Magic rating to get the +1 "to soak" as well as raising their Force cap.

This fulfills the design idea of making the magic mechanics more consistent with everything else as well as keeping the magic theme of potentially-infinite raw power.

And yeah, it's barely more than a cosmetic change from the existing system. So why change something if you're not really fixing anything? Broken and consistent is easier to absorb than broken and inconsistent.
blakkie
QUOTE (Azralon @ Nov 2 2005, 04:43 PM)
This fulfills the design idea of making the magic mechanics more consistent with everything else as well as keeping the magic theme of potentially-infinite raw power.

Umm, except it requires that the skill be linked to the Attribute based on Tradition, which i don't recall anything else doing that. It's not even the same as that Dodge/Unarmed/Gymnastics swirl of oddness.

It also causes a Power focus to not be usable for actually forming the Spell effects or bringing forth or Binding a spirit (you are changing Conjuring too, right?). The Power foci can only be used for Drain, which doesn't strike you at least a bit oddly? Sure, you could take that next step and change the Power foci too.

That's a lot of shuffling compared to writing down literally or figuratively:

The Tradition's Drain Attribute respresent how the magician view their magical abilities and adapt their mind maintain concious control while staying clear of, for the mind's own protection, the dangers of the flow of raw Magic power that they have trained to channel through their bodies.

The "skill" is allowing the Magic to flow. You learn it when you Initiate along with a metamagic and how to further atune your body to widen the channel to allow you to bring the Magic through. The actual atunement of the body to be ready to let the Magic flow is then the next and step in the process.

Presto, "skill" not just "talent". Is it extending meaning and reading into the fluff in the book? Er, yes. But that is considerably less intrusive than moving Attribute links and metamagic functions and such around.

EDIT: A big benefit to Eyeless Blond being that the change is in "fluff" and works within his own head. So he can have this even in the game that requires the mechanics to stay canon.
Azralon
I did say "more consistent."
blakkie
QUOTE (Azralon)
I did say "more consistent."

Yes, and i call that into serious question. Currently the Skill is linked to an Attribute, the pool is Attribute+Skill+Gear_Dice.

You are taking it and making it Some_Attribute_That_Changes_From_Person_To_Person + Skill + Gear_Dice + Metamagic_Dice?

Right now the thing that is not "consistant" is the Magic attribute being uncapped. Really want more consistant? Cap the natural Magic attribute at some number, say 12? Or 9? That in turn by RAW caps the Grade at the Magic_Cap + Essense. So assuming a character ever saves up and dedicates 500+ karma for Magic 9, or somewhere around 800 karma for Magic 12, and then dumps about another 150 karma into metamagics they've hit the 'top'.
Azralon
QUOTE (blakkie)
You are taking it and making it Some_Attribute_That_Changes_From_Person_To_Person + Skill + Gear_Dice + Metamagic_Dice?

Which is no less ludicrous than determining drain pool per the RAW.
blakkie
QUOTE (Azralon @ Nov 3 2005, 10:52 AM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Nov 3 2005, 12:44 PM)

Which is no less ludicrous than determining drain pool per the RAW.

You made it [the Skill test] more consistant by transfering an oddity of Drain into the Skill test?
Eyeless Blond
Ah, so some of you *do* like the idea of reinvisioning magic, to have the mage's worldview actually affect the way he channels mana rather than merely the way channelling mana affects him? Well, then I'll put out my original idea, rather than pandering to the constituency who want magical power to always scale infinitely the wy nothing else can or does in SR4.

So, here's my beef with the way magic works in SR4. Essentially, I don't like how helpless mundanes are agianst magic under the current system. No matter what that hacker does, if he's within sight of a decent-level initiate without Counterspelling backup he's gonna get owned by the mage tossing 16+ dice in Spellcasting, with a resistance test capping out at 6 Willpower. Worse, unless the counterspelling backup has Shielding even the counterspeller's not going to be much help.

So, I want to change things. In particular my biggest aim is to force Spellcasting into compliance with the other opposed tests and give it the same sort of cap that those tests have. Linking the Spellcasting test to the Tradition-specific attribute is in fact only the beginning, though an important one because it changes the infintely-increasing Magic att out of the Spellcasting test; I also want to change a few other things as well in order to minimize their ability to circumvent this cap of Spellcasting+(Tradition Att).

For instance, Centering will be used to negate penalties from distraction, background count, etc, which was by far the best use it had in SR3. You roll your initiate grade (+Willpower?), and every success negates -1 dice worth of dice pool modifiers, from say injury modifiers, sustainning other spells while casting, leaning out of a fast-moving vehicle while casting, etc.

Power foci will definately only add to Magic rating to help with Drain, though I guess spell foci would still add their rating to the test itself. Spellcasting foci would definately count toward the augmented skill limit for spellcasting.

Hm, maybe Shielding should act the same as it already does though. Then you'd have the interesting effect that, in a battle between two mixed forces, the mages will usually end up cancelling each other out, punctuated by periods where one side does something clever or slips and the whole battlefield goes straight to hell. smile.gif

(Edit): And I'd argue that the debate between blakkie and Azralon isn't so much about consistency as it is understandability and extensibility, as both are much more important to a usable and fun ruleset than consistency. Those were the issues, after all, that the SR3 system lived by, and to some died by.

In any case those goals are equally met by either this proposal or canon, so I contend that the debate between blakkie and Azralon is entirely vacuous. biggrin.gif
Azralon
I think I see your boggle, Blakkie. I'll explain my use of the word "consistency."

Normal skill pools are (Physical/Mental Attribute) + (Skill). The RAW has Spellcasting and Conjuring as (Special Attribute) + (Skill).

The original proposal makes magic tests (Mental Attribute) + (Skill). That's the consistency.

Specific example, if it's needed:

Shooting someone has a finite skill cap on dice pool hits -- barring circumstance modifiers, of course -- because Agility has a cap and Firearms has a cap. Per the RAW, manabolting someone has a theoretically infinite cap on dice pool hits.

Therefore, guns can be only so deadly while magic infinitely scales. Some people prefer the (however unattainable) idea of their mage eventually mananuking entire cities. Some people prefer the idea that mundane weapons and magic spells should have a more evenly-balanced scalability. That's the effect of the consistency.

For the record, I'm in the second group, which is why I don't object to the OP's idea. I won't be implementing it in my games, mind you, but it doesn't freak me out.
Azralon
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Nov 3 2005, 01:08 PM)
I contend that  the debate between blakkie and Azralon is entirely vacuous. biggrin.gif

Oh, I completely agree. It's just a thought experiment as far as I'm concerned. smile.gif My post count on this isn't due to enthusiasm, but instead a desire to shirk RL work.
blakkie
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Nov 3 2005, 11:08 AM)
In any case those goals are equally met by either this proposal or canon, so I contend that  the debate between blakkie and Azralon is entirely vacuous. biggrin.gif

I contend that changing mechanics to effectively change name tags is superfluousvacuous, and screwing around with name tags when you can simply align your understanding of the name tags with how you envision the underlying theory is innanevacuous, and trying to claim it is in the name of "consistancy" is bullshit vacuous, and finally that the biggest mound of festering rabbit pellets vacuous of all is going through all that while effectively ingoring addressing the core issue of:

So, here's my beef with the way magic works in SR4. Essentially, I don't like how helpless mundanes are agianst magic under the current system. No matter what that hacker does, if he's within sight of a decent-level initiate without Counterspelling backup he's gonna get owned by the mage tossing 16+ dice in Spellcasting, with a resistance test capping out at 6 Willpower. Worse, unless the counterspelling backup has Shielding even the counterspeller's not going to be much help.

Which i happen to have a lot of sympathy for. Just stop confusing the issue by getting hung up on name tags.

This post brought to you by the word of the day, vacuous, the letter V, the number 439, and the generousity of posters like you.
blakkie
QUOTE (Azralon @ Nov 3 2005, 11:13 AM)
The original proposal makes magic tests (Mental Attribute) + (Skill). That's the consistency.

No, that's getting hung up on labels while ignoring the "problem".
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (blakkie @ Nov 3 2005, 09:50 AM)
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Nov 3 2005, 11:08 AM)
In any case those goals are equally met by either this proposal or canon, so I contend that  the debate between blakkie and Azralon is entirely vacuous. biggrin.gif

I contend that changing mechanics to effectively change name tags is superfluousvacuous, and screwing around with name tags when you can simply align your understanding of the name tags with how you envision the underlying theory is innanevacuous, and trying to claim it is in the name of "consistancy" is bullshit vacuous, and finally [ blah blah blah ]

Uh huh. Well while you're busy trying to not foam at the mouth, please note that I didn't mention concistency once until you two brought it up, and only then because the two of you wouldn't stop picking at that one word like a bloody scab.

This post brought to you by the Church Against Three-Sylab-- Words.smile.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Nov 3 2005, 12:00 PM)
Uh huh. Well while you're busy trying to not foam at the mouth, please note that I didn't mention concistency once until you two brought it up, and only then because the two of you wouldn't stop picking at that one word like a bloody scab.

This post brought to you by the Church Against Three-Sylab-- Words.

rotfl.gif Umm, i didn't say you did. You passed judgement on my discussions with Azralon. Surely they are on topic for my reply, since you know, they are mentioned in the text of the quote i'm replying to. Or you didn't actually read them? biggrin.gif

P.S. su·per·flu·ous It's got more so i win! ;P
PlatonicPimp
In the places your proposal makes sense, it also seems unneccessary to actually change anything. In the places where things nee dot change, your proposal doesn't quite make sense. Mostly, it seems like a lot of rewrite for a little gain, but to each their own. I feel that the "ownage" by magic users against undefended mundanes is intentional, requiring that a runner team have magical backup. It just makes sense. A runner team needs a hacker to deal with computer based problems, a Sammy to deal with violence based problems, and a mage to deal with Magic based problems. Compare what a mage can do against an undefended person to what a hacker can do against someone's undefended tech.

What alway limited mages was not the power of the magic, but the fear of the drain. Remember that no matter how many dice you are rolling in your spellcasting test, you cannot acheive more hits than the force of the spell. And also remember that the force of the spell is the base for the drain code, and that, in general, a mage will not be willing to knock themselves out. Magic may have unlimited potential, but for practical purposes it is limited by the drain a mage is willing to take. And that brings it back in line, because a mage who isn't careful with their drain management is a dead mage. Either by their own overcasting, or by the sec guards that find his unconcious ass, he is dead. I think you see a balance issue where there is none.

But it's your game too. I'd never be one to tell someone not to house rule. You should just always realize exactly what effect it has on your game, and in your case, you are gimping all but the most mundane of magics. If that's what you want in your game, then more (Or less) power to you.
Azralon
QUOTE (blakkie @ Nov 3 2005, 01:53 PM)

Feel free to define the problem you wish to discuss. I was talking about was making magical skills act more like normal skills.

The side effects of having infinitely-scalable drain reduction but capped hits (swapping the RAW situation) was desirable to some, undesirable to others, and seen as no real difference to still others. Is that the subject that's got you so riled up?

I'm with PlatonicPimp; houserule whatever you like, or don't. Doesn't make a difference to me unless we're sitting around the same table, so I don't get how that adversarial attitude is supposed to help anything.
blakkie
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
I feel that the "ownage" by magic users against undefended mundanes is intentional, requiring that a runner team have magical backup. It just makes sense. A runner team needs a hacker to deal with computer based problems, a Sammy to deal with violence based problems, and a mage to deal with Magic based problems. Compare what a mage can do against an undefended person to what a hacker can do against someone's undefended tech.

I mostly agree with that. Though it is much easier to set up, or have an expert set up, some tech protection and bring it with you than to do that Magically. Plus it is extremely tough to defend using Counterspelling/Banishing foci because they are now aspected (though Street Magic might address that to some extent). But since firearms also tend to favour the attacker at higher end, at least against metahuman targets, i guess it's somewhat to be expected.

Magic may have unlimited potential, but for practical purposes it is limited by the drain a mage is willing to take.

Unfortunately that's where Centering comes in. It adds your Initiate Grade (not even the more costly Magic) in dice to Drain Tests. So it does have unlimited potential.

So there are two flavours of the ownage. Magic over the magically unprotected mundane, and then Magic scaling past the mundane. The first i'm ok with. The second not so much. Of course it's a common theme in fantasy games, high end mages > high end mundanes. It certainly was true in past iterations of SR.
blakkie
QUOTE (Azralon @ Nov 3 2005, 01:00 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Nov 3 2005, 01:53 PM)

Feel free to define the problem you wish to discuss. I was talking about was making magical skills act more like normal skills.

The side effects of having infinitely-scalable drain reduction but capped hits (swapping the RAW situation) was desirable to some, undesirable to others, and seen as no real difference to still others. Is that the subject that's got you so riled up?

I'm with PlatonicPimp; houserule whatever you like, or don't. Doesn't make a difference to me unless we're sitting around the same table, so I don't get how that adversarial attitude is supposed to help anything.

I'm going by the problem YOU gave as the actual true issue you have. Theoretically unbounded Magical advancement.

I'm just trying to get through to you the uttermadness of where you were heading.

EDIT: OOPS, LOST IN THE WINDOWS. THOUGHT I WAS REPLYING TO EYES BLOND AND TOSSED IN THE ROYAL PRONOUNS. love.gif Eyeless Blond suggested adding Centering to Spellcasting dice....to fix the problem of earlier changes leading to doubling the rate of Drain dice increases. Which was fully in form with the changes up to that point, complete with the problem of essentially swapping the names around with little functional change (save for a different reason for getting the Centering metamagic).

The end product is Spellcasting that functions essentially no more, and no less similar to other Skills than it does in RAW. As i pointed out from the start, it was heading in circles creating change with no real change. The slight shifting that did occur (outside of the shifting of a die or two in some metahuman characters) is fluff and can be effectively replaced in function by those two italics paragraphs i gave.** The later however can be implemented on a per player basis in a game that is full on canon mechanics.

** EDIT: Perhaps with some wording changes to fully fit your view. Who is to say that the Magic attribute for one person of a given Tradition has the exact same basis and aspects as that of another Tradition?
Azralon
QUOTE (blakkie)
As i pointed out from the start, it was heading in circles creating change with no real change. The slight shifting that did occur (outside of the shifting of a die or two in some metahuman characters) is fluff and can be effectively replaced in function by those two italics paragraphs i gave

If you see no significant effect beyond the cosmetic, then I don't see a problem.
blakkie
QUOTE (Azralon @ Nov 3 2005, 07:20 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Nov 3 2005, 05:16 PM)
As i pointed out from the start, it was heading in circles creating change with no real change.  The slight shifting that did occur (outside of the shifting of a die or two in some metahuman characters) is fluff and can be effectively replaced in function by those two italics paragraphs i gave

If you see no significant effect beyond the cosmetic, then I don't see a problem.

wobble.gif Effect? Oh sure there is the effect of altering a crapload rules so it is nolonger canon mechanics. You just didn't actually accomplish anything thing of worth that couldn't be accomplish with a little 'magination and a 2 paragraph fluff addition. It's the Dr. Joseph Mengele of house rules, a whole lot of poking, slicing, and sawing netting little more than evidence that the patient bleeds when cut.
Gothic Rose
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)

Because, you know, the hacker who's in line of sight of the unaugmented Sniper who's aiming at his head is going to have a chance.

No. Magicians kill people with magic. They do it very very well. A Sniper kills people with sniper rifles. He does this very very well.

Magic SHOULD be feared. And mundanes aren't completely without hope - a mundane character has a better than average chance of having a higher EDGE than the mage, and, thus, can add his edge to that resistance test. And then blast the hell out of the mage.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012