Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New shadowrun Novels
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
sureshot
I am not sure if this has already been posted. There is a new shadowrun trilogy available from Roc books the first book is out it is called Born to Run. The author of the book is called Stephen Kenson. Yes the same guy who wrote the Mutant and Masterminds Rpg. The ISBN of the book is 0451460588. The isbn number is a tracking number unique to every book. just write the number in any book search database and the entry for the book should appear right away.

I just bought it today so have not had time to read it yet. It is set in 2053. So it's not set during shadowrun 4th Edition. It cost 6.99 U.S. 9.99 CAN.
Adam
2063, actually.
sureshot
Are you sure about 2063? According to the back of the novel it's written 2053. Could be a mistake on the publishers end.
Adam
According to the back of my proof copy, it's 2063.

http://www.penguinputnam.com/nf/Book/BookD...1460588,00.html
memorax
QUOTE (Adam)
According to the back of my proof copy, it's 2063.

http://www.penguinputnam.com/nf/Book/BookD...1460588,00.html

Strange I also have 2053 as the year on mine. Like sureshot said it's probably an error on the publishers end.
JBlades
2053 on mine, too. Fresh from Borders.
winterhawk11
Oopsy...
blakkie
QUOTE (winterhawk11)
Oopsy...

Especially if the proof has the right year. newbie.gif
AJCarrington
For those living in Canada, you should be able to pick up a copy at your local Chapters; three different stores in the GTA and K-W areas all list multiple copies of the book in stock. biggrin.gif

Hopefully sales will bode well for the series.

AJC
sureshot
So 2053 is the correct year then?
Fortune
Considering the timing of the novels' release, and the main character's former relationship with the WizKids minis, I would think that 2063 is the correct year.
Adam
By the way, moving this thread to the main Shadowrun forum.
Zolhex
Got my book today and just finished going throught it no mention of the current date although there are some dates listed and on the back it does say 2053.

I understand that yes it is more than likely a printing error on the back cover but figured I chime in with what I found on my copy from barns & noble.
apollo124
My copy reads on the back cover as 2053, however, of course, since it does deal with the WizKid mini figures, one would guess that the year should be later. By the way, my opinions on the book itself.

I think an alternate title for the front cover might have been "A newbies' guide to the world of Shadowrun". For those of us here on Dumpshock, I don't think there are any surprises at all. Just a typical run with a green runner who is learning all about the world, decking, magic, and rigging all at once.

And it is only 287 pages long. I don't know about you, but even just reading during my lunch break, I go through a 350 page normal pocket book in about 1 1/2 weeks, so this is just a light book to me. I guess he wrote it with modern kids' attention spans in mind.

I also find this book to be a fantastic cross-promotional tool for the WizKid mini's, if only the book had been released at the same time the mini's came out.

All together, not a bad book. definitely something to get for someone who wants a quickie intro into what SR is all about, but doesn't have the patience to go through the rule books. But for the veteran SR player, I would only get this if you have been starved for new SR novels for like a half dozen years.
kryton
For those interested. I setup a book signing and a 4th edition SR demo at Pandemonium books and games in Cambrigdge, MA (at the Garage). Stephen Kenson will be signing copies of the book for fans and what not so feel free to come by if your in the area. Call the store for details on the start time. Those have changed.
apollo124
Any chance of getting SR4 novels anytime soon? Please, please, please! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Adam
My understanding is, should the first six novels sell well, WizKids will be producing more novels and they will be set in the 2070 timeline.

I'm doing a podcast reading of [at least] the first chapter of Born to Run over at my blog, btw. You can can check out the entries here: http://www.talkinabout.com/category/sr-bor...to-run-podcast/
apollo124
Also along the timeframe issue, I just finished the book, and in it there is a description of some of the loot being a set of Predator III's. So that would stand more in line with the 2063 theory, so I guess someone goofed on the back cover.
Siege
Having read this book...um...

Using the names of the SR-minis was annoying.

And what kind of troll is afraid of a handgun?

Hardcore runers excited about skimming off a handful of...Ares Crusader machine pistols?

It read more like a "welcome to SR fundamentals 101", but it wasn't bad if somewhat light fiction.

I finished the book, cover to cover, in roughly two hours.

-Siege
caramel frappuccino
QUOTE (Siege)
And what kind of troll is afraid of a handgun?

A smart troll? nyahnyah.gif

Yes, believe it or not, they do exist.
SL James
QUOTE (Siege)
Hardcore runers excited about skimming off a handful of...Ares Crusader machine pistols?

That thud you heard was the death of any remaining faith I had left in SR novels.
MYST1C
QUOTE (Siege)

Well, shouldn't that be expected considering those are Shadowrun Duels novels?
Siege
QUOTE (M¥$T1C)
QUOTE (Siege)

Well, shouldn't that be expected considering those are Shadowrun Duels novels?

Hah. I missed that completely.

Then no, I can't complain overmuch. grinbig.gif

-Siege
Yoan
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (Siege @ Nov 12 2005, 11:14 PM)

That thud you heard was the death of any remaining faith I had left in SR novels.

Really? I'm glad to see something more low-powered for a change.
FlakJacket
I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I thought it was meant to be low powered since the main character was just starting out in the business?
Siege
Having just skimmed the cover, the book doesn't mention "Duels" anywhere on the front or back, so I feel marginally better.

Low-powered is relative, I suppose - at one point a character pegged the Ares guards as carrying AK-97s. It's a good thing Ares doesn't have its own assault rifle for issue to its grunts.

The magical battles were relatively low-powered, the details of the gun battles were relatively glossed over as it focuses on the main character, her magical involvement and the effectiveness of a handgun on a troll.

It read very much like a player's intro to the world, not necessarily a "read and enjoy for veterans," although it wasn't bad.

The "pick of the crop" was some Pred 3s and a couple of machine pistols...and this shipment is supposed to sway the balance of power in a struggle between established go-gangs?

Like a lot of things, you have to suspend disbelief in several areas and accept that "oh, you meet the adept. Give him a minute to explain what an adept is, you newb." theme.

-Siege
SL James
Kenson wrote a novel with a magician as the main protagonist. I'm overwhelmed by this shock to my system. But it would explain the glossing over of any meaningful combat.
winterhawk11
QUOTE (SL James)
Kenson wrote a novel with a magician as the main protagonist. I'm overwhelmed by this shock to my system. But it would explain the glossing over of any meaningful combat.

You know, he was probably given the parameters of the story (including who would be the main character) when he was given the assignment. Since the Kellan Colt figure was the special mail-order-only thing (along with the fact that she represented a newbie shadowrunner and therefore a good point-of-view character to get newbie players into the game), I'm guessing that this was why she was chosen as the protagonist of the story.

I have no knowledge of WizKids's novel specifications, so all this is just guessing, but it makes sense.
SL James
You know, I don't think I'd be so disapppointed every time I dared to question Fanpro or Rob or a freelancer if someone didn't insult my intelligence in the process of justifying their actions.
winterhawk11
QUOTE (SL James)
You know, I don't think I'd be so disapppointed every time I dared to question Fanpro or Rob or a freelancer if someone didn't insult my intelligence in the process of justifying their actions.

Damn, but you're touchy.

My intent was in no way to insult your intelligence. You made a comment, I took it as serious instead of snide (I know, silly me) and offered what to the best of my knowledge was a factual answer--or at least an educated guess at one.

If all you want to do is snipe at everything, go for it. I'll stay out of it.
Enigma
Isn't the point really that there is now yet another terrible SR novel to add to the pile of other terrible SR novels? And further that Kenson should stick to sourcebooks, like everyone said after his last set of 'novels'?
Zolhex
Funny I liked the new novel nice low street level runner action. None of the big bad change the world stuff. Don't get me wrong I liked the big world changeing stuff too but the street level stuff that is runners vs. average opponets is more interesting to me. Why? Simple it is what most people play true some players have thier 5 year old characters with a billon karma in them that they play and could as a team kill a great dragon ooo ahhhhhh great and also BORING at least to me.

The story was told in a shadowrun beliveable way if you ask me. I found reguardless of where the characters orgins are from (wizkids click figures) I had no problem in how and why kellan came to be in the shadows and in seattle. Nor did I have problems with the rest of the team heck the I was human now I am a troll mage was a good twist.
Siege
I never objected to Kellan moving to Seattle - but for a "two year veteran" of Kansas City's shadow scene, she was painfully unaware of the fundamentals.

And you're telling me nobody ever lied or got screwed by a Johnson in KC?

If she was a rank and file newb from anywhere, including Seattle, the effect would have been better.

And it's hard to have a "street level" campaign when you have players that are established names in the Sprawl like...well, let's face it, everyone but the main character.

To say nothing of the pilfered loot - if all the characters had been gangers or low-powered runners, it would have made a lot more sense.

-Siege
SL James
QUOTE (Enigma)
Isn't the point really that there is now yet another terrible SR novel to add to the pile of other terrible SR novels? And further that Kenson should stick to sourcebooks, like everyone said after his last set of 'novels'?

And make sure they're for Mutant & Masterminds.
Bull
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (Enigma @ Nov 14 2005, 03:46 PM)
Isn't the point really that there is now yet another terrible SR novel to add to the pile of other terrible SR novels?  And further that Kenson should stick to sourcebooks, like everyone said after his last set of 'novels'?

And make sure they're for Mutant & Masterminds.

Darn good thing not everyone agrees with your opinions, since I very thoroughly enjoy most of his stuff.

Also, I really liked the novel for what it was: An introduction to the world of Shadowrun.

Oh, and tone down the attitude and snark, James. It's uncalled for, unnecessary, and wearing extremely thin.

Bull
SR4WorldOrder
according to the penquin group site it says this:

Shadowrun Book #1: Born to Run
A Shadowrun Novel
Stephen Kenson - Author
$6.99

Earth, 2063. Long-dormant magical forces have reawakened, and the creatures of mankind's legends and nightmares have come out of hiding. Megacorporations act as the new world superpowers, and the dregs of society fight for their own power. Sliding through the cracks in between are shadowrunners-underworld professionals who will do anything for a profit, and anything it takes to get the job done.

Kellan Colt has come to Seattle to make a name for herself. But her first run proves that in her line of work, there's no such thing as a sure thing, and that in her world, there is only one law-survival.
SL James
You like that his books are contradictory, factually incorrect and poorly researched, and overall they are simply poorly written? That his plots are simple, his characters are one-dimensional, and his sourcebooks are pedantic and annoying? That his novels contradict rules from sourcebooks he wrote? Why?

And last time I checked, my attitude and "snark" aren't a banning offenses, so I'll take it under advisement.

Steve Kenson is the one author whom I take considerable measures to avoid even a hint of personal attack for the very purpose that doing so would make me look like an idiot and negate any legitimate point I have concerning the quality (or lack thereof) of his written work for Shadowrun. M&M is a fine game for what it is, but I don't particularly find any redeeming qualities in anything he's ever written for Shadowrun.

Having listened to Adam's reading of the book's first chapter, I can say with the legitimacy of someone who isn't completely ignorant that the first chapter is choppy, vague, fails to create any sense of atmosphere, and creates almost no impression whatsoever of any of the characters beyond the fact that the girl is the protagonist.
Bull
QUOTE (SL James)
And last time I checked, my attitude and "snark" aren't a banning offenses, so I'll take it under advisement.

Yes, but being rude, offensive, and condescending towards other board members *is* a bannable offense. You're good at hovering just on that border between rude and outright flaming, but you're going to stop. I've given you plenty of warnings on this subject. Be nice and be curteous, or find somewhere else to be a jerk.

Bull
mfb
edit: *sigh* nevermind.
Adam
QUOTE (SL James @ Nov 15 2005, 07:54 PM)
Having listened to Adam's reading of the book's first chapter, I can say with the legitimacy of someone who isn't completely ignorant that the first chapter is choppy, vague, fails to create any sense of atmosphere, and creates almost no impression whatsoever of any of the characters beyond the fact that the girl is the protagonist.

While I don't think that anything I'm able to say will ever influence what you think or feel, my podcast reading is probably only 1/3rd of the way through the first chapter. I wanted to get more finished in short order, but that just hasn't been possible this week.
Drac
This is starting to sound like the White Wolf boards when the "new" World of Darkness came out. If anyone DARED to point out its flaws, everyone else would attack them.

I just got the novel and will read it soon. However, I will mention that in the past I've liked Stephen Kenson's sourcebooks and almost loathed his novelized characters.
Bull
This has nothing to do with pointing out flaws. SR4 has flaws, and not every is going to like every author's writing. I personally couldn't stand House of the Sun and thought the original Secrets of Power trilogy was a fine example of very amatuerish writing, but not everyone agrees with me.

This has everything to do with a constant attitude problem that James has been warned about in the past. I'd be handling this much the same if he was acting in the same manner but was pro-SR4. Ask Blakkie about a couple private warnings he's gotten.

We've been lax in the pas because we felt that it might be possible for these boards to run without "hands on" moderation. That's not proven to be the case, and thus I've taken a much more direct, hands on approach the last 9 months or so, and plan to continue to do so.

And that's all I feel it's necessary to say publically. If anyone has questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me in private. I'd like to see this thread go back on topic now smile.gif

Bull
fistandantilus4.0
...uhh... on topic.. uhh.. 'novels are good'...

sorry, seriuosly though, does anyone know when the next book is do out? Or when one not written by Kenson is coming? Some of his stuff I have liked, some, not been a fan of. I'm a bit afraid this one may be of the latter, although I'll probably pick it up anyways. But I'm looking forward to a non 'beginner shadowrun' novel.
Bull
IIRC, the first 6 are written, as they had originally been commissioned to be Wizkids SR Novel line to be produced to compliment SR Duels (As well as the RPG). Only the first three, Steve's trilogy, were specifically Duels chracter oriented.

I think they're supposed to come out every two months (May be every three), and in the meantime Wizkids is working to get some new novels together that take place in the SR4 timeline.

Bull
fistandantilus4.0
dandy, thanks
JM Hardy
A few more details: yes, the books are scheduled to come out every two months. Steve's trilogy will come out November, January, and March; the first non-Steve Kenson book, _Drops of Corruption_, will be out in May of 2006. The two main characters and one significant supporting character of DoC are both Duels characters, mainly because I found them interesting. Most of the rest of the characters in this particular volume are non-Duels. I can't speak for the other books.

Jason H.

[quick edit right after initial post for clarity]
GrepZen
In the past there were not as many direct tie-ins between SR products and the novels. Are the tie-ins something we can expect to see in the future or is it just a passing phase we can blissfully ignore?
tisoz
QUOTE (GrepZen)
In the past there were not as many direct tie-ins between SR products and the novels. Are the tie-ins something we can expect to see in the future or is it just a passing phase we can blissfully ignore?

???

I guess you never heard of a novel where a couple immortal elves go globe hopping or miniature lead free figures of same said IEs or a couple adventure modules named after one of the alluded to elves? Shadowrun novels are known for the ties to other products and story lines, even other game lines like Earthdawn. I remember reading one novel and thinking it's like this guy just got done reading PAoNA there were so many critter encounters thrown in it.

I realize you probably mean novels directly featuring the Duels line characters. The reason for that tie is who has the SR novel rights and who has the SR game development rights. Fanpro does the game, Wizkids does the novels and Duels. (And it gets more complicated because Wizkids got acquired by another company and may have something to do with the novels being delayed.) Wizkids gets more direct results from cross promoting their own product than by promoting a product from which they receive licensing income.

So they have a couple secondary reasons for publishing non-Duels only novels. One, the promotion of a game they receive secondary income from, and two, not making the fan base that likes the game and has nothing to do with the Duels products feel like they are being used and/or abused by buying SR novels that should really be titled Duels novels. The backlash from this form of abuse can be seen by hardcore SR players complaint about the newbie feel of the novels intended audience. (The Kenson backlash seems to be based solely on personal taste. smile.gif)
GrepZen
I do realize that the cross-promotions are there but, they aren't as direct as how TSR/WotC does theirs (Novel + 5 game books on the novel; 1 game book and 30 novels dealing with the game book or a few characters in the book) where you have to buy all of the products to be "in the know".
FanPro may be whoring the product a bit but they are no where near as bad as some other companies.
Yes, there were a few must buys in SR but, in general you didn't need to read every bit of material ever published to get around in the cannon univ. That seems to be changing with the frequent release of world altering books (YotC, BS, SF, etc) and I'd like to know is if they will be stepping up the whoring and we can expect to be inindated by flagrant promotions in future products. Is SR5 scheduled for release in 2008-9?
tisoz
QUOTE (GrepZen)
FanPro may be whoring the product a bit but they are no where near as bad as some other companies.

Maybe I was too long winded or boring. Fanpro does not have the novel rights. They are even going to electronic distribution of serial stories to get around it.

QUOTE (GrepZen)
Is SR5 scheduled for release in 2008-9?

Fanpro will undoubtably say no. They were saying there was no SR$4 planned almost up to the time it was announced (and well after it was into development.)

I foresee a SR5 in 2006 or 2007 to fix all the stuff they snafud in their haste. (This will be kind of like how quickly SR2 followed SR1, and will have about the same degree of change.) Then a SR6 4 or 5 years later to keep the game fresh and to turn on the profit faucet again. This, of course, is all my cynical opinion loosely based on past performance to predict future actions. But we will see.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012