Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Munchkin Edges/Flaws
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
The Stainless Steel Rat
Amnesia.

Munch: "Wait a minute. You're telling me that I can sink more points into Slaymaster the Human Quisinart, AND I don't have to come up with some lame-assed backstory? Sign me UP!"

I have also learned to hate Common Sense, because some players seem to take it as a license to blame everything on the GM. "Hey, my character has an INT of 6, and I've got common sense, so you're supposed to tell me when I'm not doing the absolutely smartest possible thing."
blakkie
IMO Sea Madness for an awakened or rigger land-lubber Dwarf. High Will gets you through the odd time the GM manages to contrive a way to get you out on a boat. smile.gif
caramel frappuccino
Where do people get the idea that you don't have to write a backstory for a character with Amnesia?
Trax
Common Sense doesn't allow your character to do the smartest thing possible, it's so your Super Genius of a Runner doesn't do the absolute dumbest thing possible because unlike your character, you do NOT have an Int of 6. biggrin.gif
FrankTrollman
Certainly, I've found that characters with full or partial amnesia have spent more time futzing with their backstory than other characters.

Sea Madness, OTOH, that's a flaw I don't even allow. It's too crippling in a pirate game to be allowed, and in any other game it doesn't even do anything.

Now if you want a flaw that's in danger of being an advantage - you go with day job, which gives you character points and money in exchange for having your character have more screen time in comedy bits. Or dark secret which gives you points for nothing or adventure hooks (which is to say, nothing, since you go on adventures anyway). Still, I don't resent them at all, because as GM they make my life easier. Essentially, I am perfectly willing to throw a PC 2 points in exchange for them having a built-in melodramatic hook that I can exploit if I otherwise can't think of anything to do this week.

If you want straight munchkinism, go for minor SURGE Effects. Those are straight-up bulldrek. Unusual Hair? Altered Eye Color? Heck, while Chronic Osteocuspus is initially crippling, in the long run it's a net advantage and is for some reason a negative ten!? I think the blood elves are cool and all, but I don't think they need to be quite that cool.

-Frank
hyzmarca
Amnesia is the greatest Flaw. If your munchkins are taking it so often that you have to ban it outright then you simply aren't sadistic enough.

"Hey guess what, you're really Darth Revan and the Corporate court has sentenced you to death fro crimes in humanity after your trial in absentia."

"Mr. M grins sadistically and presses "play". As the trid recording rolls the true horror of your past is revealed. On the screen is an image of you being tenderly sodomized by the Great Dragon Lofwyr. The note left under your door makes perfect sense now. You were the Great Dragon's homosexual lover but such relationships are taboo amongst his kind. When you became a liability he didn't have the heart to kill you and instead magically removed your memories. Now that you know the truth you are in as much danger as Mr. M is."

Dark Secret isn't bad either, if you make sure the secret is dark enough. Say that the character is a Ghoul that is passing as an uninfected human in a place where being a ghoul is likely to get him killed or fired.
nezumi
I *LOVE* amnesia and dark secret, when the player is foolish enough to let me choose them. However, they are the ones I see abused most often by less experienced GMs.

Other frequently broken things:
Aptitude (very nasty, I ban this with all but few exceptions)
Good Looking and Knows It (not technically an edge, but people still try it on me. It's poorly balanced, and therefore not allowed.)
Incompetence (rarely used appropriately)
Allergy/phobia ('space rock' type things are chosen too often.)
Combat Monster (just because if you're dumb enough to take it, you're in trouble)
Codeblock/Choker/Scortched (for non-matrix types)

blakkie
QUOTE (caramel frappuccino)
Where do people get the idea that you don't have to write a backstory for a character with Amnesia?

Because they have/are smart enough and sadistic enough GMs to see that getting to write the backstory themselves is Christmas come early? love.gif The only thing tastier is Amnesia coupled with Hunted/Enemy.
Critias
Other: APTITUDE.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (nezumi)
Allergy/phobia ('space rock' type things are chosen too often.)

Actually, I accidentally discovered that realistic allergies and phobias are frequently the most munchkiny. I had a character once with a Severe Allergy to Shellfish, and other than a few extra lines of dialogue in a few food-ordering scenes it never came up.

~J
Sharaloth
The only thing tastier is Amnesia coupled with Hunted/Enemy.

I've got one of those in my game right now. It's a beautiful little set up, and doesn't even take over the game (though nothing less than taking the 6-point hunted flaw for every single megacorporation and large govornment in Shadowrun could take over this game)
caramel frappuccino
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (caramel frappuccino @ Nov 4 2005, 12:11 PM)

Because they have/are smart enough and sadistic enough GMs to see that getting to write the backstory themselves is Christmas come early? love.gif The only thing tastier is Amnesia coupled with Hunted/Enemy.

Without the consent of the player, the GM has no more justification for writing the background of an amnesiac than he does for any other character.
Teulisch
actualy.... scorched and sensetive neural structure are VERY bad for a non-decker with any implants that can be hacked. if they get in, they can make your system play BTLs... and your -2 will to resist addiction. now, if those specific bad guys are the ONLY people who can supply the brand of BTL that your addicted to....

you have to have an evil mind, to see all the posibilities.

i have a food allergy to nuts/peanuts myself. its suprising how many things that say 'may contain traces of' actualy cause a mild reaction. cant eat lance crackers, they all have 'traces'. A food alergy will occur any time the substance gets in contact with a mucus membrane, or blood. so while it makes the mouth itch, if ingested you get vomiting and diareah.

the one food alergy that would be MOST deadly in shadowrun, would of course be soy.
PlatonicPimp
Actually, I think it says somewhere in the actual flaw that the gamemaster gets to make up your backstory. I know that if you take the higher version of it the gamemaster makes up the Stats.

Personally, anything like vindictive, combat monster, intolerance, liar, or any primarily roel playing flaws, all go out the window with me. I was in a game once where a player had intolerance (vampires). Later, we were hired by a vampire. At the meet, he said the the vampire: 'I don't like you.". This was the extent of the playing out of his flaw.

If you want to play a character with a character flaw, Just do it. Giving out bp for starting characters based on the promise of role-playing is like paying a shadowrunner up front: dangerously trusting. I tell my players: play it. If you do a good job, you get role playing Karma.
blakkie
QUOTE (caramel frappuccino @ Nov 4 2005, 01:08 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie)

Without the consent of the player, the GM has no more justification for writing the background of an amnesiac than he does for any other character.

It's right in the flaw description that when taking the higher level the GM makes up the whole character sheet, the player doesn't even know his PCs ABILITIES!
Siege
Heh.

Ok, what flaws do you allow for PCs?

-Siege
caramel frappuccino
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (caramel frappuccino @ Nov 4 2005, 01:08 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie)

It's right in the flaw description that when taking the higher level the GM makes up the whole character sheet, the player doesn't even know his PCs ABILITIES!

Who said anything about character sheets?

Besides, that's only for the 5 point flaw, which I doubt is the one being referenced in this thread. Not to mention that that particular course of action is by no means a mandate - it's only a recommendation for people with crappy players who can't be trusted to roleplay accordingly.
Kagetenshi
I disagree. Even with a good roleplayer, there's a difference between dividing in-game and out-of-game knowledge and truly not knowing.

~J
Demon_Bob
QUOTE (Trax)
Common Sense doesn't allow your character to do the smartest thing possible, it's so your Super Genius of a Runner doesn't do the absolute dumbest thing possible because unlike your character, you do NOT have an Int of 6. biggrin.gif

Seen players take common sense and then get upset when the GM tells them it is not a good idea to do things like, Steal the policeman's car.
Kagetenshi
I'd be upset too. That is a very good idea!

~J
Demon_Bob
Amnesia is great. Nobody ever take it in our group.
It translates to Evil GM writes your background + 10 pts of unknown flaws.

caramel frappuccino
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I disagree. Even with a good roleplayer, there's a difference between dividing in-game and out-of-game knowledge and truly not knowing.

~J

With a good roleplayer, that difference should be minimal enough to have zero impact on game balance.
LinaInverse
Amnesia: Depends on how the PCs/GM handle it. We have a character in our group w/ Amnesia and he's got around 10 pgs (single-spaced) of highly detailed background on how she (char's gender) was a former SpecOps for a corp (letting the GM pick), along with the story where she was betrayed, set up, and left for dead, etc.

Now Dark Secret/Amnesia combo can be ugly if a GM has a shred of imagination. Think the twist in "Total Recall" when some corp exec shows the captured group some video of their teammate once being something evil and ugly.

Combat Monster: Taken to its logical conclusion, this will eventually end with someone dying. It's already killed one member of our group at the hands of a street gang when the rest of the team wisely broke off and fled.

Assuming munchkinism is the topic, no Awakened is going to take Bio-Rejection when they can take the lesser Sensitive System for the same cost. I would normally say Sensitive falls under the munchkin label, but I've read enough people on this forum say the build cyber-enhanced mages that I would no longer say that.

Aptitude is probably one of the most powerful Edges there is and definitely falls under Munchkin. Unless a GM forbids it, no munchkin worth his salt would not pick this one up.

Believe it or not, our GM has come up with at least 3 (maybe 4 depending on how close you call it) major multi-part runs that involved the sea, so Sea Madness (which luckily none of our group has) would have been costly had anyone taken it, and no, we're not a pirate campaign (though we did blame pirates for something we did when we were trying to cover our butts).

One of my chars as Day Job and Distinctive; he's a day-time radio talk show host (think a low-rent non-syndicated Rush Limbaugh) and speaks with a distinctive Harvard/NorthEastern Erudite accent (think David Ogden Stiers or Kelsey Grammer). Hasn't really hurt him that much, though it did get in the way when he was trying to talk/negotiate with a bunch of street-tough gang members.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (caramel frappuccino)
With a good roleplayer, that difference should be minimal enough to have zero impact on game balance.

Who said anything about game balance? I'm talking about player experience here.

~J
Kagetenshi
Aptitude is probably one of the most powerful Edges there is and definitely falls under Munchkin. Unless a GM forbids it, no munchkin worth his salt would not pick this one up.

Eh? Explain, please. As far as I can tell it's overpriced and either forbidden or superseded most of the places it would be worth it (vehicles get Vehicle Empathy for half the cost, social skills get Good Reputation for a quarter of the cost, firearms, magic, and decking is all forbidden…).

Edit: bugger all, got my threads confused.

~J
caramel frappuccino
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (caramel frappuccino @ Nov 4 2005, 03:06 PM)

Who said anything about game balance? I'm talking about player experience here.

~J

Game balance is the whole reason behind the existence of multiple Amnesia flaws with varying costs.
Lindt
If a player TRULY wants to take multiple "Evil backstory" flaws, go for it, just be ready for a living hell, and quite possibly a dieing one as well. HMVV carrier + cutter nanites + hunted by 3 different AA/AAA corps. Been there, seen it happen.

And common sense isnt really twinkish at all, its to prevent people from doing monumentaly stupid things, like walking into the lobby of the Ritz packing anything bigger then a slingshot.
LinaInverse
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Eh? Explain, please. As far as I can tell it's overpriced and either forbidden or superseded most of the places it would be worth it (vehicles get Vehicle Empathy for half the cost, social skills get Good Reputation for a quarter of the cost, firearms, magic, and decking is all forbidden…).

Edit: bugger all, got my threads confused.

~J

If you read it carefully, Firearms/Magic/Decking/etc are not "forbidden", just "not recommended" for Aptitude.
nezumi
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

firearms, magic, and decking is all forbidden…).

It's forbidden for firearms? I thought it was highly recommended you not take it, which isn't quite the same.

In melee combat, it could be a serious game breaker.
Tanka
QUOTE (nezumi)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Nov 4 2005, 03:35 PM)

firearms, magic, and decking is all forbidden…).

It's forbidden for firearms? I thought it was highly recommended you not take it, which isn't quite the same.

In melee combat, it could be a serious game breaker.

Highly recommended. GM discretion. Not forbidden, but told to the GM to not allow it unless there's a damn good reason and it won't unbalance the game.

Big difference between that and forbidden, but they basically end up meaning the same thing.
ElFenrir

the one food alergy that would be MOST deadly in shadowrun, would of course be soy

One character I play is actually a troll with a severe allergy to soy. He also has Symbiotes:3. Needless to say, this character's lifestyle costs are insane(+% for the symbiotes, and then the GM tacks on extra to make up for the fact he must buy 100% real food, all the time.). Ration bars even, I must get in the 'non soy' versions. This allergy comes up often, needless to say. I think it was even a bit MORE in lifestyle, cos some of this food has to be custom ordered to make sure no traces of soy is in it. I made the troll albino tho, so I thought this would be an interesting flaw for him(what with the sensitive systems some albinos have.)

Distinctive Style is a good flaw as long as it's RPd. For one extra point(or+5 under the BecKs rules), its not too broken, and its great to fit some characters. I have another character(a young man who is ex Military but now looks like a total heavy metal guy), who is rarely seen in anything but camo pants, massive boots, and random sleeveless death metal shirts(just look at some of the album covers for Cannibal Corpse and stuff.), a big leather jacket, hair long as hell and speaks Polish as his native language(english at a 3.) Also standing about 200cm tall and human. Needless to say, he's not hard to spot "hey, there was this one dude...he was really big, talked with a thick accent, wore camo and had this shirt with a flayed cow' ''right over there, man!'' *point*

But don't allow distinctive style for someone who says 'my character wears a Polo jacket.' ''My character is a man who runs around dressed like a member of Slipknot'' on the other hand, would be ok I think.

I guess Aptitude can be broken, but you can control it(dont allow it for combat or vehicle, or computer skills.). A character with Aptitude: B/R Pistols actually isn't so bad.

I dunno what the most broken is. A clever GM can come up with all sorts of things for stuff. Or just not allow stuff like 'Severe Phobia: King Tut's Mummy".

I find Impulsive get a bit abused at times...Ive seen it taken very well, and ive also seen it not followed, in this case the GM should just keep reminding the player 'no, I think your character really likes the idea of jumping into the middle of those Halloweeners...'

Dawnshadow
Edges/Flaws that strike me as munchkin..

Sensitive System (Awakened). Same cost as bio rejection for awakened.

Amnesia? I love it. Great excuse for roleplay, and for setting up lots of hooks that are both good and bad. And really -- you don't get to avoid a backstory. They've got gear. They've got a home. They've got all the little things around said home. They just don't know why they have those things. They don't know who it is in the pictures. And they've got all the stuff that's gone on since their amnesia. Especially when you know someone is out to get you.. but you don't remember why.
Kyoto Kid
Sometimes these "munchkin" flaws actually do work well in certain contexts.

Take Dark Angel for example, She has the following combination of flaws. all which come out of her background. I worked with the GM on her design during Chargen. Some of her "unknown" background I outlined while the GM fleshed in many of the other details. I play her totally disconnected from my (player) knowledge of her history except when certain "memories" surface.

Dark Secret - She is a fallen Angel from The Seraphim

Amnesia (2) - She has slotted so many aliasofts during her career that she doesn't quite remember who she really is. At the current time she is believes she is actually her last covert Identity, a teenage sleuth named "Laura Mars" (OK I kinda borrowed that from a certain TV show).

Incomplete Deprogramming (SOTA 2064) - This is somewhat related to the above and boy does the GM have fun with this one. Normally she's an electronics wiz but then she thinks she's the sharpshooter assassin, or maybe the group's interrogator, or maybe....You get the picture.

Dossier on File (Sota 2064) - Yeah ol' Lucien has the entire skinny on her real identity. Keeps her looking over her shoulder from time to time when the GM says "you get an odd feeling of something familiar nearby" (with her reaction boosting she is a bit of a "twitch"). This also made for some real Bon Temps during the New Orleans segment of Brainscan.

Sensitive Neural Structure (4) - This also stems from the constant Programming/Deprogramming and use of aliasofts during her career with the Seraphim. She has a 3 slot chipjack, Headware memory (100 mp), and induction datajack. because of her skill in computers, often times the other characters ask her to play the team's decker. This was also real fun during the BTL den scene in Brainscan.

Her edges:

Friends in High places
Blandness
Good Rep 2
Friendly Face
Human Looking (elf)
Bonus Attribute - Quickness (next to her Charisma - her one claim to fame)

Yeah, the girl is pretty messed up, but that is what makes her so fun to play
toturi
Amnesia at 5 points is not munchkin but Amnesia at 4 is. Why? Because(by the book) only at 5 does the GM have control over the PC's chargen sheet. Otherwise, it is business as usual. (And combining it with Dossier on File and Friends in High Places to get the complete low down on yourself)

Various Allergies and Phobias are also useful for munchkining. But if you stick to those named Allergies and Phobias(and so playing by canon, since other allergies and phobias do not exist in canon), then the munchkin factor drops like a rock.

Aptitudes are over-rated even for the "recommended" ones. I'd rather have Perceptive being "recommended".
hyzmarca
QUOTE (ElFenrir)
I dunno what the most broken is. A clever GM can come up with all sorts of things for stuff. Or just not allow stuff like 'Severe Phobia: King Tut's Mummy".

That's just asking for Survivor: Egypt - now with 20% more Shedim.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (toturi)
Amnesia at 5 points is not munchkin but Amnesia at 4 is. Why? Because(by the book) only at 5 does the GM have control over the PC's chargen sheet. Otherwise, it is business as usual. (And combining it with Dossier on File and Friends in High Places to get the complete low down on yourself)

Keep in mind, she has the 2pt Amnesia, meaning she remembers little or nothing of her background. My GM also house ruled Amnesia to give him increasing control on the character's background as the point bonus increases.

According to the description, a Dossier on File is something that the character never sees. Night angel is played totally unawares that there even is one on her. It also can take the flavour of a hunted at GM's discretion. Angel's contacts that fall under the "Friends in High Places" (most of which are pretty paranoid themselves being in the espionage business) have divulged almost nothing to her about her background. When they do so she usually has a very hard time believing it and thinks their daft for saying such things.
toturi
While the PC may know little about his background, it doesn't mean the player cannot seal off any potential hooks for the GM. Since your GM isn't playing by the book(ie house ruling), then there is little left to discuss.

Moreover, Dossier on File doesn't say that the PC does not get access to it. It merely states that attempting to erase a Dossier should be the basis of a major adventure.
Siege
I'll rephrase - how many flaws couldn't be abused by a creative player?

-Siege
pragma
Allergy/Phobia are prretty bad. I don't ban them in spite of seeing them abused frequently. But a common mild or uncommon moderate goes a long way in the edge department.

Aptitude is absolutely terrifying -- especially when characters take it for sorcery without telling you. I am so glad that character is retired.

Its an unspoken assumption in my group that the GM will write an amnesiacs backstory. I think it really adds to the PC experience to be completely in the dark that way. That said, amnesia 5 is banned simply for the inconvenience of it all. For example: how do you manage combat pool with amnesia 5?
toturi
Honest answer? I don't know. Just because I've not seen someone creative enough to abuse a certain Flaw, it doesn't mean you won't.
FrostyNSO
I'm a big fan of Aptitude>Small Unit Tactics
Ed Simons
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I'd be upset too. That is a very good idea!

~J

So why do you feel it's a good idea to steal a Lone Star vehicle/
caramel frappuccino
To pick up babes with, obviously.
Sahandrian
I pretend Common Sense doesn't exist. I have a system of my own for that. The first part is simply letting the players point out each other's stupid ideas. But the second only works in live games.

I have a well-known "sadistic" grin. My players quickly learn that when they see this, I'm about to have a lot of fun at their expense. They tend to reconsider their actions.

This same tactic also makes Amnesia a very unpopular flaw in my groups.

Edit: Oh yeah. And I restrict Aptitiude to specializations. And can still only be taken once.
brohopcp
I've got an elf with the human looking edge and amnesia. He woke up the first morning and couldn't determine his own species. His I.D. was no help, being fake.
Glyph
I don't think any of the Edges are unbalancing, although I would follow the recommendation for the Aptitude Edge (not allowing it for decking, combat, or magical skills).

The Flaws all have game mechanic disadvantages. They can be abused, but my simple rule for allowing or disallowing them would be: if it's not an actual disadvantage, it's not worth points. For example, Sea Madness in a land-locked game, or Bad Karma for a one-shot game.

For potential abuse, though, Infirm can be munchy. For three points, what's the penalty? That your Attributes max out at 6 instead of, potentiallly, 9? For a lot of character types, that would not ever even come up. Even a lot of sammies would probably rather boost one of their combat skills, rather than spend Karma on the expensive task of raising an Attribute past the Racial Modified Limit. I would look at that Flaw very closely, especially if the character has relatively "normal" physical Attributes despite the Flaw.

The 5-point version of Amnesia is fun - you get to create a character that's different than anything they've played before, and get to watch them try to figure out what they can do, and what's going on. The two-point version lets them create a character normally, but I wouldn't let it excuse a player from having a backstory. If they have gear, contacts, etc., then obviously some time has elapsed since the character woke up unconscious and bleeding in a dumpster. So, how did the character find out what he/she could do? How did he/she meet those other people, or find an apartment, or get an Ares Alpha assault rifle? Has the character tried finding out about his/her past? Have there been any clues? Any strange people asking questions about the character?
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (toturi)

Moreover, Dossier on File doesn't say that the PC does not get access to it. It merely states that attempting to erase a Dossier should be the basis of a major adventure.

In Angel's case, it is inaccessible. Both due to where it is kept and her current confused, personafixxed, reprogrammed/deprogrammed state of mind.
SMDVogrin
QUOTE (Glyph)
The 5-point version of Amnesia is fun - you get to create a character that's different than anything they've played before, and get to watch them try to figure out what they can do, and what's going on. The two-point version lets them create a character normally, but I wouldn't let it excuse a player from having a backstory. If they have gear, contacts, etc., then obviously some time has elapsed since the character woke up unconscious and bleeding in a dumpster. So, how did the character find out what he/she could do? How did he/she meet those other people, or find an apartment, or get an Ares Alpha assault rifle? Has the character tried finding out about his/her past? Have there been any clues? Any strange people asking questions about the character?

The finest "5-point amnesia" story I could imagine would be "The Bourne Identity". Doesn't know who he is, doesn't know what he can do, all kinds of funky backstory that screws with his life. A GM could be proud to pull that off in game.
Lindt
Last time I checked, arnt ALL charcters subject to GM approval?
And Kyoto, there is a reason that there is a recommended limit to the number of edges/flaws you can take. If my memory serves me, you have 10 edge points right there. Balanced with 10 points in flaws. Sheesh.
blakkie
QUOTE (toturi @ Nov 4 2005, 06:50 PM)

rotfl.gif

If either you or caramel frappuccino were players at a table i was GMing, or even just a playing at, i'd be reaching for the Rules Lawyer foamy bat if you tried that slide that one past.

The reasoning given for the Gamemaster creating the character sheet is so the "player character" doesn't know about any of the stuff that the -5 level says they aren't suppose to. Well guess what the character doesn't know about for -2? All of their past including who they are (EDIT: though usually they'll know some recent days or weeks or maybe even months depending just to make it easier to mesh them into the team). I suspect that not mentioning the Gamemaster writing up the character sheet for -2 is that there really isn't any space for "past"/background on the character sheet.

The closest thing is the Contacts, but someone with an Amnesia PC picking out and having listed Contacts that have anything other than an extremely short history with the PC? wobble.gif

Of course it's just worded as a strong suggestion, "should". So the GM may choose to pass on it. But i sure wouldn't, it's the little perks like that that can make all the hassle, work, and grief of being a GM worth it. devil.gif

P.S. Oh, and for the -3 and -4 options? Well it doesn't actually say what amounts of memory loss they are suppose to represent. I've never actually seen someone select them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012