Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yo Ho Ho off of Somalia
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Siege
Water cannons need water, which is an annoying and limiting logistical consideration. Tear gas can be blown back into friendlies.

Sonic cannons need...power. Presumeably not so much that it becomes infeasible.

And .50 cal weapons, while fun, are military grade weapons not necessarily appropriate for civilian craft.

-Siege
Fix-it
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
I'm glad that lots of money has been spent to produce a noise gun to do a job vs. rioters that water cannons and tear gas do perfectly well,

the advantage of the sonic weapon is it doesn't run out of water.

and yes, I'm aware that they are on a cruise ship in the middle of the OCEAN, but I would assume it was originally designed to be used on Riot vehicles in the US, with the sue-happy rioters here.

and to do a job vs. pirates that a .50 HMG, or, better, 20 mike mike does ten times better.

again, I state that electricity and sound waves are a lot cheaper than expending ammunition. Plus, I'm sure the patrons of the cruise ship would feal REAL safe when they see half a dozen machine guns pintle-mounted around the deck.

EDIT: Curse you seige for being quicker.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Fix-it)
and yes, I'm aware that they are on a cruise ship in the middle of the OCEAN, but I would assume it was originally designed to be used on Riot vehicles in the US, with the sue-happy rioters here.

That is really a good idea, because LRAD sure can't cause permanent deafness and hearing loss or anything.

Personally, I'd take my chances with tear gas and fire hoses.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Personally, I'd take my chances with tear gas and fire hoses.

Unless they blast it full power right next to me, I'll take the LRAD. As fun as puking and feeling like you can't breath is, I prefer ringing ears.
Arethusa
You prefer permanent hearing loss over temporary pain?
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Arethusa)
You prefer permanent hearing loss over temporary pain?

I prefer taking temporary pain and a potential for permanent hearing loss to temporary pain and a potential for permanent blindness or death. CS Gas has the following statements in its user manual:

Reviewers examined the evidence for permanent eye damage from riot-control agents. In each instance, the damage was from a weapon fired from close range (about 50% were self-inflicted). The reviewers concluded that the blast force driving the agent deep into tissue (with or without the wadding of the weapon) was the major cause of permanent injuries. This should not happen under normal use.

There is no evidence that CS causes permanent lung damage after one or several exposures to field concentrations. Following inhalation of lethal amounts, animals died from severe airway damage 12 to 24 hours post-exposure, but survivors from large exposures had minimal or no pulmonary abnormalities. After multiple (50 or more) daily exposures to smaller amounts, animals developed laryngitis and tracheitis.

Yeah, blow that. I would just assume not be hit with a "less lethal weapon" at all, but if I was going to be hit by one, I'd just assume be hit with a weapon that didn't specify that it "should not cause permanent eye injuries with normal use".

-Frank
Austere Emancipator
According to the graph on the BBC news article, the intensity of the sound generated by the LRAD at full power is less than 120dB when you're over 20 meters away, dropping under 110dB when you get to 100 meters. Judging from personal experiences at such noise levels, yeah, I'd definitely take that over puking, coughing my lungs out and feeling like someone whacked me in the face with a bat.

Right next to the device, though, at 150dB, you could start missing CS.
blakkie
What kind of skill would it take to land, and stick, a CS cansister into a boat at 200m? I'm thinking that the LRAD, with a continuous beam with a 9º field, is likely easier to aim than an arcing lobb shot. You'd have to lead a moving target because of the speed of sound, but still that beats trying to lead the target for the canister. Sure you have to keep the LRAD trained on them, but that is another benifit of the LRAD. You stop the immediate effect at will. A CS canister has no such option.

Also i think they have a quote in that news article to do with using the LRAD to "determine intention"? That might imply they might have something a bit nastier onboard. While likely not a cauldern of hot pitch waiting to be dumped on top of someone attempting to board, it could be something more dangerous that they would argue was appropriate to be used against attackers that pushed past the LRAD.

Indeed i expect having the equivalent of my first wife squawking at me, while not enjoyable, is probably preferable to having a gas canister tossed on me. Especially if i happened to be some lost dumbass in a wooden boat that wandered too close to a US Navy boat. While the chance of a healthy individual dieing from the CS canister is quite low, there is the small matter of the physical landing of a canister launched at high enough speed to make it a couple hundred meters. Also if i was indeed some lost dumbass it's entirely possible i, or my passensgers, are not in optimum health.

However i think the biggest reason for the US Navy to use LRAD is the political implication of a US Navy vessle being outfitted and using a gaseous chemical weapon, "lethal" or not. Especially when the intended use implies a real possibily of it being used against civilians.
Siege
Based on the CNN review, the LRAD also serves as a computer-generated bullhorn with a long selection of phrases in a variety of languages.

The user scrolls through a PDA-like device, clicks on the phrase desired and then selects the language option.

So yes, one can send messages at range with the bullhorn.

-Siege
Snow_Fox
After the 60's americans have a real image problem with fire hoses being used on crowds and tear gas cannot be controled once fired and can drift god knows where.
brohopcp
They should use the sound amplifying weapons from "Dune". Those have excellent range and are variable (killing shots, paralyzing shots, skin flailing shots, etc...)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012