Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whitney-Morgan Caseless Machine Gun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Perssek
First things first: I play exclusively 2nd edition SR (mostly because I have tons of 2nd ed. material), and among the illustrations in the Gear section of the SR2 Corebook, thereīs this "Whitney-Morgan Caseless Machine Gun". Well, apparently, thatīs all there is to know about this thing. No mention in any of my sourcebooks, nor any else, even the Cannon Companion (that I do have).

Iīm thinking of letting my players have one of these, since they see the nice illos and keep asking "how much costs one of these?". But I have no stats aside it being "caseless" and obviously rotating barrels. Is it LMG? MMG? Even HMG?

My guess itīs a LMG, similar to the Vindicator, but using only caseless ammo from a special magazine, maybe integral (can caseless ammo fit into a ammo belt?).

While youīre on it, I found some mentions of a "Colt 6-PAK" in the Lone Star Sourcebook, but without any comment more detailed than "being a cheap rip-off from the Vindicator". Any suggestions? Iīm thinking of using this as a support weapon for the Lone Star FRT - which my players sometimes meet (twice, to be precise, and thereīs a third in their way as we speak).

Please help.

Did I say please?
RunnerPaul
Ah yes, the Whitney Morgan Caseless Machine Gun (Not to be confused with the Whitney Morgan 30mm Automatic Assault Cannon, which was a statless piece of art from early printings of the First Edition book).

First and Second editions were kind of funny about military grade hardware (anything bigger than an LMG). I believe the designers only listed nameless generic versions of the assault cannon, the grenade launcher, the MMG, the HMG and the missile launcher because they were afraid that giving them a name would encourage players to take them even though they're really too heavy for a typical Shadowrun. Also, many of those weapons typically get vehicle mounted anyway, which tends to take away much of a weapon's individuality. (Of course, when they put out the Street Sam's Catalog, every weapon had a name, probably because with the layout of that book it would have been silly not to.)

However, the art department had drawings of heavy weapons, and it would have sucked to just put a generic label like "heavy machine gun" on a piece of art, so they invented a name. Unfortunately, because they didn't put the words "heavy" or "medium" in the name, we don't know which of the two generic classes of machine gun the Whitney Morgan was supposed to be representative of.

To address some of your other questions, yes, caseless ammo can be belted, and for the Colt 6-Pak I'd use the Vindicator stats, but maybe give it a longer spinup time and shorter battery life.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Perssek)
While youīre on it, I found some mentions of a "Colt 6-PAK" in the Lone Star Sourcebook, but without any comment more detailed than "being a cheap rip-off from the Vindicator". Any suggestions?

I don't remember the SR2 stats, but my advice would be to reduce the recoil comp (if any), cut the battery life (not the spinup time, that's critical), increase the weight, and reduce the price to 50-75%.

~J
Perssek
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
However, the art department had drawings of heavy weapons, and it would have sucked to just put a generic label like "heavy machine gun" on a piece of art, so they invented a name. Unfortunately, because they didn't put the words "heavy" or "medium" in the name, we don't know which of the two generic classes of machine gun the Whitney Morgan was supposed to be representative of.

Yeah, thatīs what I thought at first, but couldnīt accept as being the truth.

QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
To address some of your other questions, yes, caseless ammo can be belted, and for the Colt 6-Pak I'd use the Vindicator stats, but maybe give it a longer spinup time and shorter battery life.

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I don't remember the SR2 stats, but my advice would be to reduce the recoil comp (if any), cut the battery life (not the spinup time, that's critical), increase the weight, and reduce the price to 50-75%.

Good points. I was going to give the Colt 6-PAK exactly the same stats as the Vindicator, but with some schticks, as being cheaper and heavier, but thatīs better - makes them more differenciated.

The Morgan-Whitney Caseless is going to be the "generic" HMG - with rotating barrels (give her some 15 rounds/turn capacity) and 20% extra ammo capacity (her being caseless and all).
Raygun
You can forget about "spin-up time" if you want. It's a pretty rediculous concept, there more for "game balance" than anything else. Real miniguns don't work that way. They're either feeding ammo (thus firing it) or they're not; how fast the barrels are spinning has absolutely nothing to do with it. It can be rotating at 2 rpm, 6,000 rpm or anywhere in between, it doesn't matter. The thing is going to fire as long as it's being fed ammo. It takes less than half a second for the barrels to ramp up to full rotation and the weapon can be firing during that time.

The Colt 6-PAK is a kind of rip on a real minigun, the GE XM214 (which was also called the "6-PAK"). It's an electrically-driven 5.56x45mm minigun.
Perssek
QUOTE (Raygun)
You can forget about "spin-up time" if you want. It's a pretty rediculous concept, there more for "game balance" than anything else. Real miniguns don't work that way. They're either feeding ammo (thus firing it) or they're not; how fast the barrels are spinning has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Really? Crap, and I thought I knew something about guns (having two military fanboys babbling about guns non-stop full-time at every game session). Thanks for the info, Ray. I never went much into miniguns, except for some heavy stuff (like the Vulcan), but otherwise...

You know what? No rotating time for everybody - thatīll settle things right.

QUOTE (Raygun)
The Colt 6-PAK is a kind of rip on a real minigun, the GE XM214 (which was also called the "6-PAK"). It's an electrically-driven 5.56x45mm minigun.

Didnīt know that. Iīm taking in account that it looks like the gun used by some corporate soldiers (I think itīs the Lone Star Sourcebook, but could easily be Corporate Shadowfiles), the one with a helicoidal magazine, calico-like. Am I wrong?
Raygun
QUOTE (Perssek @ Nov 8 2005, 06:25 PM)
Didnīt know that. Iīm taking in account that it looks like the gun used by some corporate soldiers (I think itīs the Lone Star Sourcebook, but could easily be Corporate Shadowfiles), the one with a helicoidal magazine, calico-like. Am I wrong?

I don't know what a "Colt 6-PAK" is supposed to look like. There's a pic on LS.83 with a super-sexy gun-toting chick cop with a rediculously small minigun, if that's what you're thinking of. I suppose you could say that would be it (I don't personally recall any "Colt 6-PAK" in canon, but that doesn't mean much).

Anyway, the real XM214 looks like this. It never made it beyond experimental stage and was never adopted by any armed forces, AFAIK.
SL James
Just to make sure, that is Blaine's gun from Predator, right?

Perssek might also be referring to an image of a corpsec goon holding some kind of self-contained minigun on a staircase with a APC and floating mage in the background.
Raygun
QUOTE (SL James @ Nov 8 2005, 11:21 PM)
Just to make sure, that is Blaine's gun from Predator, right?

No. His (as well as Arnold's in T2, same gun IIRC) was a modified M134, the 7.62x51mm version. Unlike the XM214, the M134 actually has been adopted by the military and is in regular use, in particular with the 160th SOAR (ala Black Hawk Down).
Perssek
QUOTE (SL James)
Perssek might also be referring to an image of a corpsec goon holding some kind of self-contained minigun on a staircase with a APC and floating mage in the background.

EXACTLY!!
Ed_209a
If you really _must_ worry about spinup time, You can use something negligible like 90% max ROF the first turn of fire.

If the rules were being true to the ROF of a minigun, they would pump out between 100-150 rounds in a single combat turn. I don't think they do. IIRC, 15 rounds per action? A RL SAW or M60 can do that.
Critias
Not that realistic firing times have anything to do with any other gun, mind you, but yeah. Miniguns should just be called "instant death suppression wands" or something, realistically.
SL James
Damn, I'm good.
Austere Emancipator
Miniguns with RoFs up to 200 rounds per CT are available in my games. Yet no players has so far shown any interest in getting one. Weird.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Miniguns with RoFs up to 200 rounds per CT are available in my games. Yet no players has so far shown any interest in getting one. Weird.

I would suggest they see the miniguns as the bait on the hook, the hook being that if they start using them, the NPCs will.
tisoz
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Nov 23 2005, 09:47 AM)
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Nov 23 2005, 10:39 AM)

I would suggest they see the miniguns as the bait on the hook, the hook being that if they start using them, the NPCs will.

Maybe they are available as loot from dead NPCs?

[edit] RoF:
1 pass/combat turn = 200 rounds/minute
2 passes/turn = 400rpm
3 passes/turn = 600rpm
Initiative 31-40 = 800 rpm

I thought the 600-800 range is the upper limit on control for a hand held weapon?
[/edit]
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)

I assure you that's not the case. NPCs have always used them when appropriate.

QUOTE (tisoz)
I thought the 600-800 range is the upper limit on control for a hand held weapon?

The "upper limit of control" is, in most cases, the absolute mechanical RoF limit of the weapon, since few weapons are manufactured such that they are uncontrollable at their cyclical rate. Some are just more controllable than others. There are some exceptions, of course -- for example, I'm not quite convinced a MAC-11 (1600rpm) or a fully automatic 10mm Auto or .45 ACP Glock (somewhere around 1300rpm) counts as "controllable" for the average shooter, but that's just because they're machine pistols without (useful) shoulder stocks -- they're meant to be quickly sprayed in the direction of the enemy at very close ranges.

MP5: 800rpm
MP7: 950rpm
Brugger & Thomet MP9: 900rpm
Uzi/Mini-Uzi/Micro-Uzi: 600rpm/950rpm/1250rpm
Scorpion vz.61: 850rpm
FN P90: 900rpm
AK-47: 600rpm
M4A1 (and M16A3?): 700-950rpm
G36: 750rpm
FN Minimi/M249 SAW: 750rpm (belt) / 1000rpm (magazine)
FN MAG/M240 GPMG: selectable 650-750rpm/950-1000rpm (high)
M60E3: 550rpm
M134: selectable 2000rpm/4000rpm (max 6000rpm)
XM214: selectable, up to 10000rpm
Starfurie
QUOTE (Perssek)
First things first: I play exclusively 2nd edition SR (mostly because I have tons of 2nd ed. material), and among the illustrations in the Gear section of the SR2 Corebook, thereīs this "Whitney-Morgan Caseless Machine Gun". Well, apparently, thatīs all there is to know about this thing. No mention in any of my sourcebooks, nor any else, even the Cannon Companion (that I do have).

Please help.

Did I say please?

Check Plastic Warrior's Running Gear, they developed stats for the WMCMG.
RunnerPaul
Didn't they also do stats for the statless Chandler Capture 100 shotgun that was featured in early printings of the first edition core book?
tisoz
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (tisoz)

The "upper limit of control" is, in most cases, the absolute mechanical RoF limit of the weapon, since few weapons are manufactured such that they are uncontrollable at their cyclical rate. Some are just more controllable than others. There are some exceptions, of course -- for example, I'm not quite convinced a MAC-11 (1600rpm) or a fully automatic 10mm Auto or .45 ACP Glock (somewhere around 1300rpm) counts as "controllable" for the average shooter, but that's just because they're machine pistols without (useful) shoulder stocks -- they're meant to be quickly sprayed in the direction of the enemy at very close ranges.

MP5: 800rpm
MP7: 950rpm
Brugger & Thomet MP9: 900rpm
Uzi/Mini-Uzi/Micro-Uzi: 600rpm/950rpm/1250rpm
Scorpion vz.61: 850rpm
FN P90: 900rpm
AK-47: 600rpm
M4A1 (and M16A3?): 700-950rpm
G36: 750rpm
FN Minimi/M249 SAW: 750rpm (belt) / 1000rpm (magazine)
FN MAG/M240 GPMG: selectable 650-750rpm/950-1000rpm (high)
M60E3: 550rpm
M134: selectable 2000rpm/4000rpm (max 6000rpm)
XM214: selectable, up to 10000rpm

Thanks for the comments and RoF. I knew when I was posting that, "upper limit of control" was a poor word choice. I just knew that many automatic weapons had RoF in the range of 600-800 rounds/minute. I had even read where people complained that the mini and micro Uzi spat bullets at almost too fast a rate, that they burned through clips and had a hard time firing short bursts.

I guess my point was - SR RoF do not seem so "off" as people complain. If the character is taking 3 or 4 actions a turn (initiative 21-40), then they are right in the real world range for many of the weapons RoF. The problem is if the character is only acting once a combat turn, holding down the trigger for a minute should spit out more than 200 rounds. If the system is going to break down and "shaft" someone, I would just as soon it be the ones who are probably not as dependant on the results as those built to use those weapons. Like non-rigging riggers, non-decking deckers, and non-spell sustained mages. Most other characters are going to regularly go 3 times a combat turn.
Clyde
You could always bump the range and damage of the Colt 6PAK down to assault rifle or SMG levels. . . . Just a thought to go with the small illustration
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012