Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Baseball.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
KosherPickle
Miles Lanier is a White Sox fan? Tremendous. Especially considering what happened this year. Oh well, it's still only three titles for the White Sox. He's got a right to be aggrieved.
SL James
Well, it happens. It could be worse. He could be a Cubs fan. But, yeah, what happened this year never happened in SR. Not unless it was some fantastic coincidence (which seems unlikely given the context).

Meanwhile, I'm still trying to figure out where the Cardinals who won a Superbowl (SoNA) play.
ShadowDragon8685
How is this even remotely on the topic of Shadowrun? Maybe I just don't recognize the name Miles Lanier, but...
SL James
He's Richard Villiers' right hand man. He's ruthless, and helped screw Renraku with its pants on and come out a much richer man for it.

My kind of guy.

Anyway, it's a reference to the Epilogue of System Failure.
toturi
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
How is this even remotely on the topic of Shadowrun? Maybe I just don't recognize the name Miles Lanier, but...

Maybe this is why some GMs will come along and post on the forums: "OMFG! My dumbass players had their PCs try to beat up Miles Lanier! Are they insane? Are they absolutely CLUEless?"
ShadowDragon8685
If it's a high-key, superpublicity name IC, then the DM should tell us that that would be like "Guys, you want to beat up Micheal Jackson?!" (Of course, then the answer is "Fawk no, I whip out my Pred and double-tap his head.")

And if it's NOT a superpublicity name ICly, players can hardly be faulted for being IC and beating up someone they think is some random fragger.
toturi
It read more like "I'm Miles Lanier!" "Who the frag is Miles Lanier!?"*bang*bang*
ShadowDragon8685
Ahhh, the sound of some justice being dispensed, Ares Macrotechnology style. nyahnyah.gif
JongWK
Back when I wrote the little bit about Boston winning the World Series by default in SotA64, I didn't even imagine that Real Life ™ would catch up with Shadowrun so quickly. nyahnyah.gif
DocMortand
It still ticks me off that the Cubs weren't recreated until 2064. nyahnyah.gif The legion of Cubs fans shall rise up and DESTROY THE INFIDELS!

Come Drop Bear Legions! We shall destroy you blasphemers once and for all!
brohopcp
With the fanaticism shown in baseball (myself happily included), could there be a Cubs Totem? If so, any ideas for it?

GO CUBBIES!!!!

Insert insulting totem joke about Cubs never winning here ______________ when quoting.
DocMortand
It would be a Bear totem, of course. And your spirits all have Cubs hats on them.
DocMortand
Actually the thing about baseball is I'm wondering what rules have been changed to allow/disallow cyberware/bioware/metahuman abilities?

The only baseball explanation I know of is from Wolf and Raven by Stackpole, and those stories aren't exactly canon.

Are the "official" rules in shadowbeat, perhaps?
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (DocMortand)
Are the "official" rules in shadowbeat, perhaps?

Yup. The limit is 3 essense points worth of implants.
SL James
Damn, and here the teams already spend a fortune on players. Imagine the contract negotiations that go with new cyber, and trying to bargain down from various grades.
FrostyNSO
What about adepts?
RunnerPaul
At first, pro sports tried to ban adepts, but due to a rash of lawsuits, they've reversed their decision. Adepts can no longer be kicked out of the sport just for being an adept. Any player who is an adept and has any implants is fair game for firing though.

However, prejudice and resentment from the unawakened being what it is, adepts are not popular with the fans, despite high levels of performance. You may see one or two on a team, but they're likely to be the ones that even the hometeam boos. The officials tend to target adepts for extra helpings of unsportsmanlike conduct penalties too, which sometimes gives a franchise the excuse it needs to let an adept player go, without actually firing them "for being an adept".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012