Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First Character
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Gamble
Been messing around with the character generator and tossing and moving things around and I think I've settled down on something but not quite sure if it could be improved on. Appreciate any advice or constructive critcism you guys can think of. Here goes:

Race: Human
B:3 (4)
A:5 (6)
R:5 (7)
S:3 (4)
C:2
I:4
L:2
W:4
Edge: 4

Skills:
Dodge: 3
Unarmed combat: 2
Armorer: 5
Perception:2
Etiquette: Military: 2
Pilot Ground craft:2
Firearms group:4

Knowledges:
Firearms Design:5
Firearms History: 5
Security Procedures: Military: 4
Merc Hangouts: 2
Miliary: 5

Qualities:
Ambidextrous
Quick Healer

Addiction: Mild: (Stim)
SINner
Mild Allergy

Cyber:
Alpha Grade Cybereye 4 with:
+flare comp
+slink
+low-light
+therm
+vision enhancement 3
+visual magnification
+protective covers
Damper
Spatial Recognizer
Spur
Bio:
Superthyroid Gland
Synpatic Booster 2

3.88 Essence left and other BPs spent on gear, contacts and other stuff. Mostly looking for attributes that could use tweaking or cyber/bio that could be tweaked, etc. Threw some BPs in knowledges to round the character out as the group I play with is RP intensive. Again, thanks for any info or advice you can throw my way.
Drace
My advice, drop the dodge, and add some of the points to your unarmed skill, and then maybe a language (always good for RPing to have more than one, so you can communicate with team mates easier).

Also don't have SINner, unless you know your GM isn't going to overly use that agaisnt you.
EDIT: also another good quality if you have the room is Will to live if your planning on having a viscous campaign

EDIT: I would also recommend Muscle toner, to increase your agility giving you more dice for shooting, and if your planning on taking the brunt of the damage, some bone lacing, to give you more dice to resist damage

Thnx for that RunnerPual, my last guy died, so my new one won't have to pay for those
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Drace)
For your eyes, have an image link, allowing you to access your PAN, and an eye recorder to record so you can record sec. patrols, faces, and the like.

Already come free with every pair of cybereyes. (p.332)
Fortune
The Spur uses the Blades skill, which your character doesn't seem to possess.

I echo the suggestion to get rid of Dodge in favor of a higher Unarmed skill.

I suggest a point or two in the Athletics and Stealth groups.

If it were me, I'd pick up a point of the Influence group instead of the two points of Etiquette (and Specialization?). It's just as easy to raise them individually later on, but the four skills in that group are used often enough to be worth the small investment.

On the topic of Specializations, you'd be better off picking them up in-game. 2 points of Karma are easier to come by than 2 BP (which is the equivalent of a 1/1 Contact).

I also suggest picking up Reaction Enhancers at level 2. Interestingly enough, in order to eventually take full advantage of the maximum levels of both Synaptic/Wired and Reaction Enhancers, your starting natural Reaction should be 3. I'd throw 2 points from your Reaction into your Body.
Oracle
QUOTE (Drace)
My advice, drop the dodge[...]

Do you really think that is a good idea? The characters in my game all have relatively high dodge scores and it seems to be really usefull. They use full dodge quiet often. And survive.
Grinder
Lower Armorer to 2 and get some points in Stealth & Athlethic, as well as Blades (for the spurs).
Oracle
Grinder is right.
wavydavy
Seems reasonable character overall

QUOTE (Gamble)

Bio:
Superthyroid Gland
Synpatic Booster 2

If you are playing canon rules, Suprathyroid Gland has an availibility of 20 (from memory) and so is unavailable for a starting char.

Also, I would agree with the comments about the dodge skill and blades skill

Without more backgound, it difficult to comment on the choice of stats/skills/gear

You want to flesh him out a bit for us?
6thDragon
I personally think it's impossible to have a military background and not have the first aid skill. That's just from my own personal experience. Also, the survival skill would be important if you plan on spending any amount of time outdoors, unless your character had some type of desk or warehouse job. There are also other skills to consider: heavy weapons, leadership, athletics skill group, and parachuting. Dodge would be helpful, maybe consider specializing it out to ranged attacks later unless you find yourself jumping into too many melee encounters that you find yourself overwhelmed.
To be in a military I would think you would have to have a SIN, or at least the military would give you one when you entered. So that is very reasonable.
Gambitt
Superthyroid is avail 20, so is way above starting gear but i suppose it depends on your GM.
I just made a Sammy with a lot of help with the forum, so i will just throw in a couple of things they suggested.
Muscle toner/augmentation are both great.
I noticed your char didnt have much by way of athletics skills, so if hes more of a toe to toe/fight in the trenches type i reckon some of the cyber/bio that lets him take a beating would be good for him. Dermal plating or orthoskin both offer added armour to soak up bullets. Bone density offers extra dice to absorb physical damage and dish more out in unarmed combat, and the bone lacing set offers all three in some way.
The quality pain tolerance means that you can ignore some modifers when you are injured, and platelet factorys also mean you take less damage when hit.
Anyway most of that is only relevant if you want to stand in the front line and are prepared to take some hits for the party... hope that helps.

Edit: wow didnt see you had no gear that gave you extra initiative passes. wired reflexes or synaptic boosters means extra shots in a combat round.
Grinder
QUOTE (6thDragon)
There are also other skills to consider:

The problem of every character: you never have enough skills at a satisfying rating. wink.gif
Gamble
Excellent advice given all around and I still have some time to switch things around. And like others have said, there are so many skills that you want or need but don't have enough BPs to toss into them because you've sacrificed them to purchase cyberware or other things.

There are, of course, things like muscle toner and the like that I would like to purchase but still have to keep things within the 250k limit of spending and bioware and cyber adds up really quick.
Fortune
QUOTE (Gambitt)
didnt see you had no gear that gave you extra initiative passes. wired reflexes or synaptic boosters means extra shots in a combat round.

You mean other than the Synaptic Boosters listed? biggrin.gif
Gothic Rose
My suggestions: I rebuilt your character to be a bit more focused in combat, since it's a street samurai. You have spurs! YOU DONT NEED UNARMED. You need Blades, instead. Also, never bother getting knowledge skills with BP, it's kind of a waste.

All the stuff you had in the eyes you can get in contacts, glasses, goggles, etc. The ear things you can get in earbuds.

With the following build, please keep something in mind: He's built to EXACTLY 400BP, which means that you have no contacts. I would suggest either dropping fast healing, or getting another 5bp flaw and using those points for some contacts.

Human
B:5
A:5 (7)
R:3 (7)
S:3 (5)
C:2
I:4
L:2
W:4
Edge: 4

Skills:
Blades 6
Dodge: 3
Armorer: 4
Perception: 2
Influence Group 1
Firearms group:4
Stealth Group 1
Athletics Group 1

Knowledges:
Background: Firearms 5
Security Procedures: Military: 4
Merc Hangouts: 2
Miliary: 4
Language: Japanese: 3

Qualities:
Ambidextrous
Quick Healer

Addiction: Mild: (Stim)
SINner
Mild Allergy

Cyberware
Reaction Enhancer (2) .6 / 20,000
Skillwires (r3) .6 / 6,000
Cyberhand .25 / 5,000
w/Cyberspur [3] / 1,800
w/Strength Enhancement 1 [1] / 250
Plastic Bone Lacing .5 / 5,000
Cyberware Essence Cost: 1.95
Cyberware NuYen Cost: 43,050

Bioware
Synaptic Booster (2) 1 / 160,000
Muscle Toner (2) .4 / 16,000
Muscle Augmentation (2) .4 / 14,000
Bioware Essence Total Cost: 1.8 (0.9)
Bioware NuYen Total Cost: 190,000

Combined Essence Cost: 2.85
Combined NuYen Cost: 228,050
Fortune
If you plan on using this as a long-term character in a campaign-type game, you might think about getting Wired Reflexes instead of the Synaptic Booster at chargen, and replace the Wires with Boosters in-game.
Grinder
I would lower Blades by 2 and raise Athlethic and Stealth both by 1. But wait, could become too expensive, as the latter are groups. So raise at least one skill group by 1.
Squinky
I'm amazed at blades six in the first place, not the route I would go. And if I did, I would pump up his strength and drop the firearms skills....

Gamble
I guess I should have clarified that he was more of a gun bunny and the blades was a last ditch effort part and the reasoning for the spur. If he has no guns, he's not completely disarmed. He's more of a Gunnery Sergeant than anything. An all around type grunt.
Fortune
If you are going to get both Unarmed (or another Melee skill) and Gymnastics (or better yet, the Athletics group), you will never really need the actual Dodge skill at all.
Gothic Rose
QUOTE (Gamble)
I guess I should have clarified that he was more of a gun bunny and the blades was a last ditch effort part and the reasoning for the spur. If he has no guns, he's not completely disarmed. He's more of a Gunnery Sergeant than anything. An all around type grunt.

Ahhh. Well, the 'ware I used is still perfectly applicable, and very good.

And it makes it so that all those skills you want as a character you can have via nuyen, with the skillwires.
Squinky
QUOTE (Gamble)

Really, if you want to get the most bang for your buck, lose the spurs, and the cyber-hand (unless you want a gyro-dealy in it, which would be good) and plastic bone lacing, get bone density. It's the next best thing since sliced bread.

Get it to lvl 4 and you not only get to be a bad-ass for dmg resistance, you will do str/2+3 P damage unarmed (pretty much the same as spurs, but lacking the reach). No need to waste skill points on blades...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012