Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magic Question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kavok
I'm not sure I understand the 'permanent' duration.

For example the healing spell is 'permanent' and hits will give you either more boxes of healing or reduce the time to make it 'permanent'.

How is it made perm? Are they slowly being healed forever? Why isn't it just a short time sustained spell or even instant spell?
Gothic Rose
The boxes of damage are healed permanently - as in, the wounds are gone as if your natural healing had dealt with them perfectly in a very fast way. They won't rip open if you stretch, for instance.
Grinder
The healing spell closes the wound permanently, reducing the damage to the body permanently.
FrankTrollman
"Permanent" means what it normally means, not what it means in D&D. To make spell permanent, you have to sustain for a number fo rounds, after which you can let the spell go and whatever the spell did will be part of the world. Essentially, a permanent spell in Shadowrun is a "short time sustained spell".

In the case of Healing, you have to sustain it for 2 rounds for every DV of the spell, and every excess hit can be used to reduce the time by 1 round. Note that force limits hits, but force doesn't affect DV for Healing spells. Most people cast Healing at a Force = to their Magic Attribute.

-Frank
Fortune
Another factor is that 'Permanent' spells can not be dispelled once they have been sustained for the appropriate amount of time.
blakkie
QUOTE (Fortune)
Another factor is that 'Permanent' spells can not be dispelled once they have been sustained for the appropriate amount of time.

I think that's what Frank was trying to get at refering to D&D, only Permanent is just as appropriate there as SR. It is just refering to a different aspect of the spell/magic.

In D&D it is the duration of the spell itself that is Permanent, and the effect is sustained only as a result of this perpetual magic. In SR it is only the effect of the spell that is Permanent without ongoing magic to sustain it. In D&D terms it is closer to Instantaneous, but with a multiple round casting time.
Fortune
QUOTE (blakkie)
I think that's what Frank was trying to get at refering to D&D ...

Yeah, I know. I just figured I'd say it in a different manner. smile.gif
Kavok
Another question, can I hand off healing to a sustaining focus?
Ophis
Well I wouldn't have a problem with it.]

Players in my games have been doing that for years.
Azralon
I'd be cool with it too. The focus would cap the spell's Force, of course, so it'd be handy for the small stuff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012