Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A question on vehicles
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Aku
So i'm working on the Garage, and coding the weapon mounts, and i'm trying to determine what it takes to be able to install a weapon mount on a bike. the only thing i have is this

[quote Rigger 3]motorcycles with medium or larger sidecars and sufficient body can accommodate 1 hardpoint. The hardpoint can only take a foreward firing fixed weapon mount and must be in the sidecar.[/quote]

Now, i can read this a couple of ways. First, in order to have a weapon mount, you need to have a sidecar, of medium size or larger, and can then have a single, fixed weapon mount, on/in the sidecar (which, ofcourse, goes againist the book saying that any single fixed weapon needs to be installed centerline but OH WELL!)

or, it can be read as, in order to have a hardpoint, you need to have a side car, however, pintle and fixed firmpoints can be installed without a sidecar.

so, which would you all think it is?
Calvin Hobbes
Your second theory is corret. A bike can still mount a pintle or forward mount.
Aku
do we have some sort of quote for this? ya know, the problem with making a program is it has to be "right" not just "common sense says..."
nezumi
Firmpoints can be installed without the sidecar. I believe it mentions, if you look at the part on installing weapons in the BBB, that motorcycles can take weapons if they're forward facing. You CANNOT have swivel-mounted guns on a bike (or at least you can't fire them while moving without falling down). But having say an SMG mounted between the front fork somehow would be alright.
Calvin Hobbes
I kind of like the idea of a pintle mount on the back of the bike. Good reason to have one of those rear-facing cyberarms.
hobgoblin
or just a passenger facing backwards...

hmm, i recall a image of a camel with a pintle mounted lmg...
hyzmarca
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

Metal Slug X, a wonderful game.
Fix-it
I like to adapt motorcycles to drones, remove the passenger area to gain more space and weight, and load a micro turret and firmpoint on there. to these I attach an Ares alpha, and a LAW. then I put a mine deployer on the rear (or caltrops).

do this to 3 of these. excellent cover on the roadways.
ShadowDragon8685
Can you mount minirocket launchers on the back with DNI wire or radio guides? So you can guide the missiles in with your eyes?

You know, like the bike from the original Command & Conquer. nyahnyah.gif
Foreigner
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Nov 17 2005, 07:40 PM)
or just a passenger facing backwards...

hobgoblin:

Actually, that idea has been around for nearly 200 years (if you factor in the time difference between SHADOWRUN and the present).

In the 1870s or so, Dr. Richard Jordan Gatling--the inventor of the Gatling gun--marketed a saddle-mounted gun for the Arab nations who purchased his weapons. The gun was placed on the pommel of the saddle--a/k/a the "saddle horn"--and pivoted through roughly a 90-degree arc. Needless to say, the rider/gunner would have to be careful if he didn't want to kill his mount.

The version I saw was intended for camels, but I suppose the basic principle could be applied to other saddle-bred animals--although horses, donkeys, and such would most likely go stark raving mad the moment the weapon was put into use.

--Foreigner
Foreigner
ShadowDragon8685:

I don't recall if Sentry Guns (think the Director's Cut of ALIENS) are canonical (I've only seen them on the Web), but what about adapting a scaled-down model (about SMG-sized) to fit the rear of a motorcycle?

With the large cargo carriers some of the big cruiser/touring bikes have, you could easily hide a small weapon--either an SMG or a minirocket/minigrenade launcher, for example--in a disguised turret.

That is, the cargo container itself would be the turret--the rear panel could either be jettisoned with explosive bolts, or perhaps a portion of it would retract somehow in order to expose the weapon.

The traversing mechanism would either be under the turret (on the fender), or inside it, attached to the weapon itself.

Rig up a remote camera and sighting system linked to a heads-up display in your helmet, and there you go.

smile.gif

--Foreigner
Aku
ok, heres another question, coming from rigger three, what do i need to make a vehicle into a drone, i dont see anything that is giving a pilot rating?
tisoz
QUOTE (Aku)
ok, heres another question, coming from rigger three, what do i need to make a vehicle into a drone, i dont see anything that is giving a pilot rating?

R3.130, the Remote-Control Interface. You will also need at least rating 1 sensors. Also listed in SR3.305-6.
Aku
well, thanks... i was looking through the electronics system, where all the stuff the NEEDS the RCI is... who woulda thunk it...
Aku
ok, i have yet another thing thats confusing me, and that is with autosofts. The cost is listed as pilot*50 DP. However, in my program, this currently opens up the folowing loophole, where someone can purchase the remote interface, the autosoft, and then the pilot rating, and then sell the autosoft and the new pilot rating (greatly saving DP, or atleast a few hundred).

The best work around i have so far, is to link the autosoft upgrade with the pilot, so that once the autosoft is turned on, any future changes to the pilot also affect the autosoft.
Kagetenshi
That's the way to do it. There should be a warning (not a pop-up, but some warning text) and the autosoft should either be updated or nuked.

~J
Dog
Foreigner:

Fields of Fire, p. 46. It's 2ed stuff. I still use it sometimes.
Aku
well, the way i'm attempting to do it, is that autosoft=pilot, as i cant find any supporting text that would make me think that it's possible to have it any different, so, once you have the autosoft enabled, any chances to the pilot will also change the autosoft.

actually implementing said buttons are proving difficult for some reason though.
PiXeL01
They remade the sentry gun in Rigger 3. Revised page 175 ... But it is on a trailer ...
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (PiXeL01)
They remade the sentry gun in Rigger 3. Revised page 175 ... But it is on a trailer ...

Because "trailer" was the only chassis that'd allow for a drone that doesn't move under its own power. I don't think you're required to treat it like a trailer, it was just the author shoehorning it into the closest fit category rather than try to invent something new just to support one piece of gear.

SR4's version, the Smart Firing Platform, is another, more straightforward remake of FoF's Sentry Gun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012