Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Archetype for a Jailbird
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Starfurie
I'm working up a new character and can't come to a decision. I'm playing an ork jailbird (Police record flaw) and trying to decided between a physad and a sammie. If I go sammie I need to carry enough hard to disable/remove cyberware to still be functional as a runner until I can get the rest reinabled.

Short term goal is to get all my cyberware reinabled (physad or sammie, I have a smartgun link at least) and leave NO evidence pointing back to me. Long-term is get my eyes, finger-prints and DNA altered before geting a new ID.

Thoughts?
hyzmarca
If you go with a Physad, they could have just burned you out with stims.

Dermal Sheathing, Bone Lacing, Muscle Augmentation, and Skillwires would be difficult to disable, off the top of my head.

A Datajack is easy to disable but there is no reason for them to do so unless you're a whiz decker. It has too many legitimate uses and is perfectly legal. When you were in prision it would have been simple to control your matrix access. Likewise, a chipjack is easily disabled but there is little point to it except to prevent the use of BTLs and disabling cybereyes is only counterproductive.
Slump
Skillwires are really easy to disable, just make them run skilltwichers with the interference programming bug -- the one that can cause permanant damage to the skillwires.

Sure, you can (eventually) get them working again with enough surgery and money, but they're pretty well shut down for a nice long while.
Critias
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
A Datajack is easy to disable but there is no reason for them to do so unless you're a whiz decker. It has too many legitimate uses and is perfectly legal. When you were in prision it would have been simple to control your matrix access. Likewise, a chipjack is easily disabled but there is little point to it except to prevent the use of BTLs and disabling cybereyes is only counterproductive.

I figure it's the principle of the thing -- they'd epoxy in a Jackstopper, just to remind you that they can. Taken to extremes, not disablilng cyberware on a criminal who's not a "decker" is like not checking them for knives unless they're in their for aggravated assault or something.

They'd plug up 'jacks because they can plug up 'jacks, the jacks might still be able to cause problems (especially that BTL issue you mentioned), and because there's really no reason at all not to do so.
Edward
I would expect a data jack to be left active depending on the nature of the prison system. Today prisoners have access to computers in many prisons, those guilty of computer crimes would be blocked. Also on leaving the prison any legal cyerwear would want to be active to increase your chances of getting a job so the state (or corp) dose not hav to pay for your further incarceration.

I would say everything with a legality code of legal would be unmodified but the time you leave. Much cyber wear is not worth the effort of disabling, even a smart gun link is useless inside (prison officers should have smartlinnk safeties on there weapons). Although I would probably flash its firm wear to a usles state.

As to phisads being burned out on stims it was mentioned in one book that especially nasty prisons do thisbut most consider it inhumain. (the procedure imposes several mental flaws).

Edward
Backgammon
If you haven't checked it out yet, SOTA 2064 offers some GREAT ideas on jail or ex-jail related ideas.
Starfurie
QUOTE (Backgammon)
If you haven't checked it out yet, SOTA 2064 offers some GREAT ideas on jail or ex-jail related ideas.

Yes, I own it. It's what inspired the character. I've already planned several details. My parol officer is a contact (debating between 1 & 2) and I have the day job flaw (1,000 nuyen.gif ) to pay for my low-lifestyle, and I'm picking up a LS cop as an enemy (he's trying to find dirt on me to send me back).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012