Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Astral Perception and Targeting
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Sicarius
Here's what I understand about Astral perception. An astrally percieving character can percieve the astrally present (spirits, etc) as well as the physical (trash cans, people, buses, etc.)

So say (pretty common situation) a mage is facing an enemy hunkered down behind cover. Can he go to Astral perception and cast a mana spell through the barrier, at the target's Aura? What modifiers come into play for a situation like that?

this is a mega-n00b question, but i'm away from my books.
Edward
No because the trash can is probably opaque in the astral, most solid objects are. what you can do is go astral to avoid the penalties for shooting in the dark, although you still have +2 for taking a physical action while astraly preserving,

Smoke is a grey aria.

Edward
Apathy
I thought anything that interupted/interfered with physical LOS also interupted/interfered with astral perception? In which case smoke would apply astral perception modifiers.
nezumi
There was one aspect of the visual modifiers which applied to astral vision. It wasn't range and I don't believe it was lighting, but I don't think it was smoke either... Man, that's tough.

Anyway, no, you can't use astral vision to see THROUGH solid things. You COULD use it to help spot hiding people (won't be any good against drones or people with full cover, but people who are just using camouflage and shadows will be easier to spot) and it could be used to overcome certain visual problems such as darkness when firing.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (nezumi)
Anyway, no, you can't use astral vision to see THROUGH solid things.

Unless it's a transparent solid thing, like a glass window.

However, if you're playing SR4, that nowhere in the book does it contain the disclaimer that things transparent on the physical are transparent on the astral, so some people say that this no longer counts under the SR4 rules. YMMV.
Feshy
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (nezumi @ Nov 25 2005, 11:04 AM)
Anyway, no, you can't use astral vision to see THROUGH solid things.

Unless it's a transparent solid thing, like a glass window.

However, if you're playing SR4, that nowhere in the book does it contain the disclaimer that things transparent on the physical are transparent on the astral, so some people say that this no longer counts under the SR4 rules. YMMV.

Those people are silly. "Air" is a (generally speaking) transparent physical object. If it is opaque on the astral, "astral sight" is a lot like being blindfolded...

Though, given the "magic doesn't interact well with technology" aspect of shadowrun, I suppose I'd support an extremely processed transparent substance blocking astral sight. Like transparent aluminum. Or some nanite glass of some sort (or . . . *evil snicker* those uber contacts that are so popular in SR4...)
nezumi
I think he meant transparent solids (which is a valid way of interpreting what he wrote). That's a house rule I made a long time ago since there's no logical way to justify being able to psychically 'see' through glass but not through rice paper.
jrm549
There is nothing in any of the books that I've seen that suggests that magic can be cast towards mundanes while perveiving astrally. You can however do mundane things, (such as fire a pistol) while perceiving astrally with a +2.

If anyone can suggest a page that proves the opposite, I would be really happy.
nezumi
QUOTE (jrm549)
There is nothing in any of the books that I've seen that suggests that magic can be cast towards mundanes while perveiving astrally. You can however do mundane things, (such as fire a pistol) while perceiving astrally with a +2.

If anyone can suggest a page that proves the opposite, I would be really happy.

Reread the section on magic. You cannot cast spells on mundane while astrally PROJECTING, but while astrally perceiving you are dual natured. You can do things as though you were astrally projecting AND physically there (although modifiers do exist for some actions).
Sicarius
So the consenus seems to be that while astral perceiving you can't target someone's Aura for a spell, when unable to see their physical person, because physical objects which are opaque in the physical are equally opaque on the astral?

So an astrally percieving character can't cast a manaball through a wall, at the target on the other side by targeting is aura.

Am I interpreting what folks are saying correctly?
nezumi
QUOTE (Sicarius @ Dec 1 2005, 07:30 AM)
So the consenus seems to be that while astral perceiving you can't target someone's Aura for a spell, when unable to see their physical person, because physical objects which are opaque in the physical are equally opaque on the astral?

So an astrally percieving character can't cast a manaball through a wall, at the target on the other side by targeting is aura.

Am I interpreting what folks are saying correctly?

Err... Not quite following what you're saying in that first line, but the conclusion is correct. In general, an astrally perceiving person can NEVER cast a spell on a person's aura. Auras aren't people. That's like saying you're going to cast a spell on a person's skin. It's technically not correct. You cast a spell on a person, but perceive the person by his aura.

I'll give some examples. Albert the Mage is astrally perceiving. He wants to cast a spell on Bob the Target.

- If Al can see Bob normally (nothing blocking LOS, sufficient lighting, etc.) he can cast his spell regardless as to whether Al is astrally perceiving or not.

- If Al can NOT see Bob because Bob is completely behind a brick wall, Al cannot cast a spell, nor can Al see his aura, regardless as to whether Al is perceiving or not.

- If Al can NOT see Bob physically because of visibility modifiers (full darkness), Al can STILL see Bob astrally if Al is perceiving (assuming no full cover) and can cast his spell on Bob. This is the *ONLY* time Al will cast a spell 'on his aura', although as I said, it's technically incorrect (otherwise normal casting is cast 'on his reflected light').

- If Bob is partially obscured and hiding, Al can get a bonus at spotting him with astral perception

- If Bob is mundane and Al is astrally projecting (not perceiving), Al CANNOT DIRECTLY CAST SPELLS ON BOB! This is regardless as to whether he can see Bob or not.

Does this all make sense?
Sicarius
yes, thanks for all your help biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012