Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: movement rates
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
6thDragon
Has anyone else noticed the movement rates are now much faster. In SR3, an average person (quickness of 3) could run 9 meters in 3 seconds without much effort (not adding athletics to increase their rate), now every human, elf, and ork, runs at 25 meters in 3 seconds. My group was playing the other week, for the first time. We were at a part where the group broke into combat at close range. Now my group uses miniatures to identify where each character and NPC is during the encounter. We were all left scratching our heads and had to say, "Ok if you're running pretty much just place your character anywhere you want." This is especially true if you only have one or two actions. You start to slow down a bit if you have three or four, but not by that much. In SR3 even a character with maxed out natural quickness at 6 would still be moving slower than average character in SR4. Has anyone encountered this or am I missing something here? Otherwise, I feel a houserule coming on.
PlatonicPimp
And what is up with troll movement rates? in SR2, they moved slower than normal, at the same speed of dwarves. In SR3, they moved at the same rate as a human, and now in SR4, they not only have a higher movement than everyone lese, but their higher strength means that they'll also have more dice on a running check to increase that!
Rotbart van Dainig
Evolution though natural selection - brough to you by HPC? rotfl.gif
Azralon
I used to consider it a properly-balanced blessing that most folks could at least (have a chance to) run away from a melee-dominating troll. Far from the case now.
jervinator
Personally, while I though slow trolls were good from a game-balance standpont, they weren't that realistic. I mean, they got longer legs and similar strength/weight ratios, so logically they would be as fast as humans, if not moreso. I mean, NBA players aren't slower than normal-height people. If bigger = slower, then how do horses run so fast?
blakkie
QUOTE (Azralon)
I used to consider it a properly-balanced blessing that most folks could at least (have a chance to) run away from a melee-dominating troll. Far from the case now.

Remember, you don't have to run faster than the Troll. Just faster than your team's Dwarf. wink.gif
Valatar
Trolls are pushing nine feet tall, their speed only makes sense given their huge stride distance compared to a human. A good human runner should be able to outpace an average troll, but all else being equal the longer legs will win, especially since the longer legs are paired with great strength. Trolls are less nimble than the smaller metas, but raw land speed doesn't require precision so much as power and endurance, and trolls have those in spades.

That aside, yes, I did notice that everyone in SR4 seems to have a prodigious movement speed. Seems a bit excessive for three-second rounds.
Critias
That's why you shoot them in the knee then start running.
caramel frappuccino
Or just shoot them in the face and not waste the effort.
Liper
aye for a race that got a reach advantage in combat, for them to run the same speed as a human made no sense.
Dranem
Note, that the land speed for Metas are for an unencumbered person... I don't know many people who do a Run in just jogging shorts.
While I can pull off a 25m dash in one round on a good day, add a backpack, kevlar/armored clothes and some other gear, and that should slow you down a bit.

Another note: While the trolls don't move any slower, try taking the sudden angled turn to chase someone when you've got longer legs at full sprint... you'll find out quickly how the bigger guy will often overshoot his target on a charge if the target suddenly darts out of reach.
hobgoblin
the speeds given are for cover to cover sprints right?
not for over land endurance runs?
Critias
QUOTE (Dranem)
Another note: While the trolls don't move any slower, try taking the sudden angled turn to chase someone when you've got longer legs at full sprint... you'll find out quickly how the bigger guy will often overshoot his target on a charge if the target suddenly darts out of reach.

Not in-game, they don't.
Valentinew
QUOTE (Dranem)
Note, that the land speed for ....

Why am I suddenly struck by the image of someone running along clacking coconuts together?
Magus
But what is the average speed of an unladden AFRICAN swallow?
starman77
has any one noticed that any human can do a 8-minute mile w/o breaking a sweat?

ie: 10m / 3 sec = 200m minute = 1,600m in 8 minutes = 5,249.6 ft/8min.

even a person with a 1 body and can do it for hours on end.
Lilt
QUOTE (starman77)
has any one noticed that any human can do a 8-minute mile w/o breaking a sweat?

ie: 10m / 3 sec = 200m minute = 1,600m in 8 minutes = 5,249.6 ft/8min.

even a person with a 1 body and can do it for hours on end.

Perhaps that soyfood everybody is eating is really nutricious?
mfb
bah. all that work i put into a movement mechanism that gave (more) realistic movement rates, for nothing. i thought some had said they'd taken that idea. guess not.
blakkie
An 8 minute miles isn't that big a thing for someone in some sort of respectable shape, if they aren't carrying a lot of gear. The lack of differentiation between Body and the lack of lack of granularity in carrying load rules are the only real issue there. SR simply doesn't have extended distance rules because it is relatively rare to be doing overland marches.
mfb
yeah. doing an 8-minute mile is more a matter of endurance than the raw ability to move at a certain speed. just about anybody can move at a mile-per-8-minutes rate; the question is whether or not they can maintain that rate for the full 8 minutes.
Critias
*looks around the internet forum full of role playing gamers*

*listens to crickets chirp*
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ Nov 29 2005, 01:31 PM)
yeah. doing an 8-minute mile is more a matter of endurance than the raw ability to move at a certain speed. just about anybody can move at a mile-per-8-minutes rate; the question is whether or not they can maintain that rate for the full 8 minutes.

Those are in combat movement rates. If you can't mantain an 8 minute mile for at least a minute (and you have all your limbs in working order) you should probably doing something about correcting that. That covers off 20 combat turns, and up to 80 chances for someone to put a full auto burst and/or Stunbolt between your sholder blades. How often have you seen SR combat last that many turns?

There simply are no out of combat rates, largely because in SR it is either very rare that is non-trivial at what speed you are traveling or you got in a car/truck/boat/plane/snowmobile well before the minute was up.

EDIT: It of course doesn't stop you from posting what you'd think it should match up with for Str, Body, gear carried, etc. for those rare cases. *shrug*
FrankTrollman
The sprinting speed of characters in Shadowrun - 30 kilometers per hour - is also no big deal. That's a 12 second hudred meter dash, and nowhere near olympian. When people start having a running skill however, things get a little crazy. It only takes a strength and running of 4 to beat a 9 second 100 meter dash if you spend Edge every turn. And that's a world record.

Although even then, I don't really care. Characters being able to slightly beat a world record beats the old system where I could personally hike faster than many characters could sprint.

-Frank
PlatonicPimp
In older editions, Trolls had shorter legs than an approprately scale adjusted human. That accounted for their lower movement speeds.

It's not the ruling that amuses me as much as the Consistent CHANGE. Trolls ahve gone from being turtles to being race horses without so much as a sideways glance.
snowRaven
Actually, trolls had a movement multiplier of x3 in SR3, and x2 in SR1 and SR2. So apparently their increasing movement rate is part of the general awakening . the higher the level of mana rises, the faster a troll can run. Just wait til the mana levels peak... grinbig.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012