Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Somebody sell me on SR4...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Critias
One thing that helped me introduce players to pools in SR3 was to play a game or two without them. No PC's had them, no NPC's had them, nobody had anything but Karma pool.

For, like a session. Maybe two.

Then, suddenly? They could dodge, and make cinematically-difficult shots, and cast spells without Drain knocking them on their ass, and really throw a Fireball when it was called for, and combat got way cooler and they had a lot more say in what happened, and everyone loved it.

The end.
TheHappyAnarchist
A player like that is just indecisive. THey could just as easily go, I am going to hit the guy, no wait, he has this and this, maybe I should just go on defence, but I could hit him, but
JUST HIT THE GUY!!!

That is not a symptom of the system it is a symptom of the player.

As for grenades, there is issues. I think they should have made grenades base damage deadly, with no staging at all for damage increase. That way the troll that sets a grenade off in his hands goes boom.

The shot in the face argument doesn't hold.
If you go with an Ares Predator, I believe it is DV 5, and the person is an average fighty PC, with a body of say, 5?
Called shot to the head makes it 9DV vs the slightly higher body track and more likely to resist.

Shot in the face and live.

Of course, it is not D&D level bad, where you can take a cannon to the face and live, due to the lack of escalating hit points. Still not particularly realistic.

How dramatic would it be at the execution point of the movie if the guy gets up and says, sorry not dead yet?

Trinity - Dodge this!
Agent Smith turns around, ow that hurt.
Azralon
QUOTE (TheHappyAnarchist @ Dec 2 2005, 03:30 PM)
That is not a symptom of the system it is a symptom of the player.

Wholly agreed, and it was the complexity of the system that enhanced his inherent indecision.

Regarding headshots: Remember, that's without net successes staging up the damage. You can blow someone's jaw off and still not kill them. Pop them in a better spot and they're a sack of potatoes. A .22 can still be lethal if you place it right.

Regarding Trinity: She spent Edge. smile.gif
Ophis
I probably should state that I'm in the "No you miss" crowd.

I prefer the simpler SR4 system because it is esier for my new players to pick up quickly, and requires less work on my part. I handle ludicrous things with ref veto. The character example I gave I truly believe should stand a chance of the loony shot stated as long as he is being fed some info on targetting, from somewhere. As he uses a sniper rifle I penalise him for not properly bracing the gun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012