Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headware Memory go *poof*?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
BookWyrm
OK, so I haven't really gone through SR4 yet (been a little busy with Real Life™, employment hunting & the new GF), but I checked the Cyberware section, and all that lovely Headware memory that I loved from SR3 is.....gone?!
(ie, my character, an Independent Professional Courier, an archetype I made years ago, used 100Mp in Headware memory to cart around data safely...sort of ala Johnny Mnemonic, but with cyberware {I read the shortstory WELL BEFORE the movie, folks!}). Now, the new & improved Datajack/Datalock does the same thing, only it doesn't say how much memory it can hold.

I get the feeling there will be a SOTA 207X (71-72-73?) book in the near future.
stevebugge
They may be treating this like Commlink storage memory, virtually limitless.
Slacker
Yes, pg 212 has a box A Note on Storage Memoy that says "gamemasters and players can assume that characters have enough storage memory on any particular device to meet their needs, so there is no need to micromanage file sizes and available memory."
So basically any and every device has a virtually unlimited memory, unless the GM wants to limit it for whatever reason.
BookWyrm
Ah, I see now. Thanks.
Liper
memory was always a retarded thing.

I mean, we have 512 flash cards that cold a crap load of images and text.

In sr3 you had to have memory to store it that cost essence.

(or if you're like me you made a cyber limb, put a cyber deck in it and added as much storage memory as you wanted)
Zen Shooter01
That "free, limitless memory for all the people!" thing is just lazy game design. Because it will take five minutes before a player says, "So I can download every skillsoft in the world into my datajack, right?"

Then I have to say no.
Cold-Dragon
I'm fairly certain there's a comment with that 'no more memory limits' thing that said there is a difference between having room and huge files. - it's one thing to assume you have memory for just about every basic program or file you want, but if it's something VERY large in design, you may need another storage space or twenty to move it around.

all they took out was the numbers, as it wasn't entirely necessary. Now the GM just says 'it's too big for your tiny little head' or some equivalent.
hyzmarca
The only thing that keeps someone from carrying Deus around in his pistol/mp3 player is fear that the GM will beat him to death with the hardcover BBB. This, I presume, is why SR4 is the first edition to have hardcover BBB.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
That "free, limitless memory for all the people!" thing is just lazy game design. Because it will take five minutes before a player says, "So I can download every skillsoft in the world into my datajack, right?"

or you can say hell yea, explain that most of the files will be stored on a online storage area and then keep dropping them into runs that at one time or other makes them unable to access the matrix.

allso, keep reminding him that unless he have a valid licence for all of them, the copyright enforcement arm of the corporate court is looking for him wink.gif

why? he is the biggest single knowsoft warez user on the planet smokin.gif
Liper
allso, keep reminding him that unless he have a valid licence for all of them, the copyright enforcement arm of the corporate court is looking for him

And what if he bought all the skills? they aren't that expensive =p
hobgoblin
then you have a problem wink.gif

or you can nuke his online storage area silly.gif

i wonder, how fast can one swap the skills out in a skillwire?
Rotbart van Dainig
That's a Simple Action.
Zen Shooter01
I know that I, as the GM, can invent lots of ways to interfere with downloading every skillsoft in the world into the datajack. But this just leads to bickering, and situations where the PC does something the rules say is okay, and I make him slip on a banana peel.

What I am doing is declaring that devices have a standard 100 GB storage, and that programs take up GB equal to their rating.

COMPUTER EXPERTS! Please do not post fifty messages explaining how this isn't very realistic. It's only meant as an easy-to-use rule to prevent datathieves from downloading every scrap of data Wuxing owns into their hold-out pistol's ammo tracker.
Rotbart van Dainig
So... let's buy some RFIDs to be on the safe side, hm? wink.gif
Heimdalol
There is headware called a Datalock page 331. It works just like the memory you want, infact it's designed to be exactly that. It just doesn't have any storage maximum.
BookWyrm
Exactly, Heimdalol. I have to learn about the character creation process first, then the conversion, re-convert my original character, then reverse-engineer the archetype. Ouch, migraine. But first, I want to get though System Failure to understand what happened.
hobgoblin
this may be the single biggest change from SR3- to SR4, less walls to keep the players in line with...
Liper
no, sr3 memory rules were just plain stupid, in relation to the skills it made sense, but in relation to utilities, texts, and other crap it made no sense.
hobgoblin
so now we instead have the ability to swap any knowsoft based skill for any other with a simple action?

only trouble is that using those skills dont allow you to use edge wink.gif
SpasticTeapot
I'd measure it in 10's of megapulses.
Because we don't know what a megapulse is anyway, who's going to complaim?
Liper
I believe a megapulse is like one picture.
Lilt
I'd let them download every knowsoft they bought into memory, plus any they found and possibly some free promotional knowsofts (IE: Ares Firearms Products as a knowsoft freely downloadable from ares, so you know that ares firearms are the best in the world love.gif ). Please, why is it that whenever limitations are removed from players there are people automatically shouting "OMG NERF IT AND DROP AN ORBITAL COW ON THE CHARACTER!!!!1111one".

If you really want to nerf it then at-least consider that it's not broken, just mildly silly. If you really must then say that once they've bought enough knowsofts to fill their current memory then they have earned a free memory upgrade voucher. GMs who think micromanagement is fun, and thus enforce it on players, are soon going to find-out that some players don't like micromanagement. Of-course some players like micromanagement, I find a little bit of micromanagement to be fun myself, but I still think the removal of the excess levels of it in SR4 is a good thing.
evil1i
QUOTE (Lilt)
"OMG NERF IT AND DROP AN ORBITAL COW ON THE CHARACTER!!!!1111one".

jesus fricken christ a cow just landed on Johnny! That download he'd been doing for the last 30 years finally finished and then a cow landed on his head! Stupid corporate council they should have waited until AFTER he had paid his matrix bill for the downloads from the iCrack Megastore™

Gotta agree though Lilt, surely it would be better to talk to the players and say "unspecified limit on storage" doesn't mean "unlimited memory" it just means that we treat everything important on a case by case situation and we use some common sense otherwise the cows will come home!
Shrike30
Headware memory was one of those things which, honestly, was an absolute pain in the butt to deal with. Given how precious Essence is, it was much more frequent for a player to keep a chipjack hidden away in a body pocket, some storage memory in a cyberlimb, or any of a hundred other tricks to avoid coughing up the decent chunk of essence you needed to have any real amount of head storage.

My personal spin on it is, hey, it's 2070. Technology has advanced, storage has gotten smaller, and you've got enough capacity in those memory chips they buried in the bones of your skull to hold most of what you'd normally keep on a commlink. Things like skillsofts (that is, things which have a noticeable game effect and which you'd normally think of being packed on a chip, with the 3rd ed "or you can load it into headware storage" method not being the norm) have largely moved back to being kept on chips that you slot to aid access times or whatever... I, as a GM, would say "yeah, your commlink doesn't have enough memory/isn't fast enough/isn't built to handle running a skillsoft."

Of course, skillsofts can be downloaded into a commlink (how else do people ship them around the Matrix?)... they're just compressed and unusable until they've been unpacked and burned onto a chip for your wires.
Liper
in sr3 they said any ammount of memory would take up essentially the same space because of how tech was (physical space a 1gig chip took up the same space as a 800,000 gig chip) so the essence of it all made no sense beyond a initial investment.

Hurray for progress.
Shrike30
I think they were talking about storage memory (think hard drive space). Active memory (think RAM) is different stuff, and IIRC that's what headware memory was supposed to be.
hobgoblin
headware mem could be used as both if you where using a cranial cyberdeck...
SL James
Then why is there a separate active memory for C^2 decks listed in Matrix which has 10% of the essence cost of storage memory and cost 1/3 more?
(Mp / 1,000 Essence, 200¥ per Mp, page 168)

That's why I hated M&M. It's like they only wanted to allow cyberlimb decks, because you couldn't make a Renraku Kraftwerk unless you had it and the memory (and this is using the above value for RAM) installed as Deltaware and couldn't get any more cyber.
Shrike30
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
headware mem could be used as both if you where using a cranial cyberdeck...

There's nothing with modern computers that specifically keeps you from storing data in RAM long-term, like you would on a hard drive... it's just that you usually have less RAM and want to use it for a bunch of different things (like running programs), so there's no reason to keep something you could store on the drive and aren't planning on needing to access quickly loaded into RAM. So, using Active memory as Storage memory is certainly feasible... it'll just make CS majors raise their eyebrows.
hobgoblin
err, oops, missread. disregard this one...
hobgoblin
QUOTE (SL James)
Then why is there a separate active memory for C^2 decks listed in Matrix which has 10% of the essence cost of storage memory and cost 1/3 more?

if only i was part of the M&M dev team, then i would answer that one silly.gif
Liper
There's nothing with modern computers that specifically keeps you from storing data in RAM long-term, like you would on a hard drive...

And that when you lose power to the ram, the data in it goes poof.

Because just like computers these days we have RAM(active memory) and we have not sure the name, but the stuff on our HDs, which isn't the same but storage to cost wise the HD is alot more but doesn't do the same thing for our processing needs as ram does.

SL James
Actually, my question was leaning more towards, "why bother" re: the headware mem from SR3 when you can use the memory in Matrix. It's at least less painful when it screws you.
BookWyrm
The concept behind my archetype was that sometime the Matrix isn't all that secure, especially when you need to transfer the specs for a prototype gizmo from an off-site R&D to the main offices. Containing it in an off-line storage is one thing, but it's easy to lose a disc/chip with the info, especially in airport lost luggage, or just simple forgetfulness. By downloading it into headware memory storage, it's still on you, but you're not carrying a loose-able item. Also, if you get stuck up by some gangers shadow-hired by the competition's Johnson, you lose a dummy disc or chip, not your life.
Yes, it's being a glorified mailman or delivery boy/girl, but it pays.
PlatonicPimp
And all you need to do it is the Data Lock Cyberware, and a Data Jack.
Azralon
Isn't there mention somewhere about how any common object can now be used to house data? I remember something about clothing used as a datastore.

Here's one mention, but I don't think it's the one I'm recalling:

QUOTE (p304)
Even non-electronic devices without moving parts may have a built-in computer, if it might be useful or convenient to the user (wouldn’t you like to be able to download and play your favorite songs on your jacket?).

Another mention:

QUOTE (p315)
Clothing in 2070 comes with some incredible options to enhance its wearer’s quality of life. Commlinks, music players, and other electronic devices are often woven right into the fabric, powered by interwoven batteries or special fabrics with solar recharging capability.
stevebugge
There are mentions of this sort of thing periodically throughout the book.

On a tangent wouldn't be annoying for your clothes to remind you they hadn't been washed in a while?
Azralon
It does open up some entertaining job possibilities.

Johnson: "The current girlfriend of a mafia don was looking to sell some information to me, but she has unfortunately gotten herself disappeared before the drop-off. Reportedly she was keeping the data in an encrypted file housed in her undergarments. The clothing is, presumably, still in the mob safehouse."

Runner: "So.... we're going on a panty raid?"
stevebugge
QUOTE (Azralon)

Johnson: "The current girlfriend of a mafia don was looking to sell some information to me, but she has unfortunately gotten herself disappeared before the drop-off. Reportedly she was keeping the data in an encrypted file housed in her undergarments. The clothing is, presumably, still in the mob safehouse."

That Rocks
Shrike30
LAMBDA LAMBDA LAMBDA!
PlatonicPimp
And I was wondering what to put my runners through next. HAH!
Cold-Dragon
*laughs* panty raid? Oh my....hehehe, I have ot use something like that, for sure...although I might stick with a cyber sock for now, and work up to panties.
Feshy
QUOTE (Azralon)

A stroke of genius there, I love it!
Liper
worse yet, johnson gives you tracker for the rfid tag in it...

The don is wearing the panties.
BookWyrm
QUOTE (Azralon)

Panty raid, LOL!
BookWyrm
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)

I agree, now that there's SR4, but SR3 didn't (or at least I don't recall).
hobgoblin
i would hate having to remember what jacket i put the latest pirated songs on nyahnyah.gif
BookWyrm
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp @ Dec 7 2005, 07:33 PM)

True, but sometimes a prototype is included with the data. A contract courier would need to not just ferry data, but small to medium-sized prototypes (small enough to fit into a ballistically-protected briefcase or messenger's bag) at least covertly. Travel between nations, both continentally & abroad, becomes a necessity, and sometimes the 'legitimate' jobs are far & too between, so some shadowrunning keeps the bills paid & his edge sharp.
Working both sides of the street can be dangerous, but it can be worth it.

As far as the Data Lock cyberware from SR3, I don't recall it, but I would add an Encryption Rating to the files for game purposes.
Also, a Memory Compressor (ala the RAM Doubler Johnny uses before the meeting in the movie) helps with the BIG files.
Cynic project
Okay let's look at the biggest hard drives you can get. I think they are terabytes now.

That is 1,099,511,627,776 bites.

Okay in 10 years we went from hard drives around 3gig to 1024 gigs..... So let's say in 2070 they have only gone one step further and have hard drives that are only 1024 bigger than ours. So one patabyte. Most likely they will think of petabytes the same way that we think of megabits. I think that is being conservative. Now if I am not wrong they are using petabytes to measure the band width of large projects and companies today.

So do you worry about hard drive space for MP3s?Why would a shadowrunner worry about space any file?What do you want loggestics to make characters sweat? Do you also makes sure they keep their dead skin cells from falling off?Or maybe just stray hair? Cause if you really think they should bring back file size I think you are being just as anal as the people who do the full CSI bullshit. That being said you can be as anal as you want to be in your games. They are your games after all.
ThreeGee
So do you worry about hard drive space for MP3s?

All the time... sarcastic.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012