Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The HK XM30
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
schmitzzy
i want to know what skills woud i use if i was to ay fire the barrel mounted shogun would i use longarms because its a shotgun or would i use automatics because it is on the assult rifle and does the shotgun still fallow shotgun rules cool.gif
warrior_allanon
i would say you would have to use longarms as per the shotgun rules, however you could bypass all of it by just getting the firearms skill group
schmitzzy
how does skill groups work
BishopMcQ
Skill groups work by paying additional build pts or karma and you get access to a large group--there are multiple skill groups such as Athletics or Firearms which bunch a set of related skills together.

See the SR4 chapter on Skills for more details, I don't have the book with me ATM for a pg number

Edit:
QUOTE (SR4 p. 106)

Skill groups are a collection of three or four related skills acquired and increased at the same time for fewer Build or Karma Points. Any time a character uses a skill that he purchased through a skill group, the skill group rating is used instead. Skill groups are identical in function in all ways to individual skills purchased singularly, and a character with a skill group containing a skill at rating 3 is just as good as another character with that skill alone rated at 3. You cannot use specializations with skill groups.

Skill groups have their own special rules for improvement, as they are cheaper to increase than the same individual skills improved separately. For more detailed information, see Improving Skills and Skill Groups, p. 264
schmitzzy
would you wright Firearms on your record sheet or Pistols,automatics,longarms and would the LMG change use longarms or heavy weapons
BishopMcQ
You'd write Firearms for as long as you buy the group...If you later bought a specific skill higher than the group, that one would get written separately.
Lagomorph
I'm betting you'd still need to buy the Heavy Weapons skill to use the XM30 in the LMG configuration.
BishopMcQ
For multi-weapon systems, I believe each configuration uses the appropriate skill for that specific setup.
schmitzzy
ok so i would then need firearms and havyweapons to fire all of the different types of guns
BishopMcQ
Presuming you have purchased every module, yes.
Heimdalol
By the rules yes. I would really suggest the firearms skill group plus heavy weapons if you want to make use of every aspect of the XM30. Then you get automatics for the carbine, longarms for both the shotgun and sniper and the heavy weapons extra to use the LMG. If you're playing a street sam type character you'll have enough BP for all these skills I'm fairly sure.
schmitzzy
what about the gernade launcher would that be heavy weapons right
If you're playing a street sam type character you'll have enough BP for all these skills I'm fairly sure.
and what does that mean Street sam
evil1i
what about the gernade launcher would that be heavy weapons right

Yes the Grenade Launcher is also Heavy Weapon skill

and what does that mean Street sam

Street Sam = Street Samurai - basically a cyber'd/bio'd warrior. In the strictest sense the character should really have an ethics code along the lines of bushido (japanese warrior ethos where honour and the glory of combat are paramount although who you apply the cade to depends on how strict an adherant to the code you are - eg is it "honourable" to fight a 14 year old ganger armed with a street special/zip gun - remember you are just as dead if you die fighting the kid as if you die facing a corp samurai/security guard). The term Street Sam is now used for pretty much any cyber'd/bio'd warrior type where the majority of the cyber/bio installed is to increase lethality/surviveability/speediness and to some extent is used for those characters that don't fit into other categories (eg no magic so not Adept/Mage, not highly technosavvy so not Decker/Hacker/Technomancer, not vehicle obsessed so not a Rigger, only basic social skills so not a face... etc)
schmitzzy
thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012