Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: History Lesson - why cyberlimbs suck
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Antimuppet
I'd love somebody who knows SR history to explain to me why cyberlimbs just aren't worth the essence and cash. Sure, you can pack cool stuff into them and they make you a little tougher, but where's the scary level of damage you can inflict on somebody with a mechanical hand?

I realize this isn't Cyberpunk - but come on, why the hate for the limbs?
Ancient History
SR4 cyberlimbs are a lot nicer than in previous editions. Just for an example, until Cybertechnology came out in 2nd edition, all cyberlimbs started out at the same base strength - which sucked ass if you happened to be troll! The sheer cost for a cyberlimb was astronomical compared to the cost of buying an organic limb replacement (used or cloned), and the main benefit was to pack in all the fun little toys: cyberguns, retractable blades, a cyberdeck, a tactical computer, increased speed and strength, magnetic cyberlimb system, swappable cyberhands, etc.

Part of the reason is that Shadowrun-style cyberlimbs are fairly high-end when compared to the crappy prosthetics of today. They have tactile sensation, dexterity, human strength, durability, and are fairly low maintenece.
Drac
I know what you mean Antimuppet. A cyberarm in the latter half of the 21st century should be able to shatter bones easily with just a squeeze.
mfb
one limit on limbs--and, believe me, i'm not defending SR3's or even SR4's limbs--is that they're usually hooked up to flesh and bone. sure, the limb itself is capable of lifting a subcompact car, but the meat it's attached to can't support that weight.

that said, cyberlimbs are teh suxx. i like these much better.
Gerald Fitzgerald
The actual metallic bones don't do the damage, it's the muscles.

As for crushing a normal arm with your cyber arm, the only thing that makes that logical is cyber-MUSCLES and they (used to) add anywhere from +1 to +4 to str and quick.

I, however, agree that in a world of AI's, mind controlled cars and trucks and computers which are mounted directly onto someone's brain... they are very expensive.
Critias
QUOTE (Gerald Fitzgerald)
As for crushing a normal arm with your cyber arm, the only thing that makes that logical is cyber-MUSCLES and they (used to) add anywhere from +1 to +4 to str and quick.

Yeah, but it was a +1 to +4 to a base "barely above average, and in fact quite sub-par for any physical/combat character" attribute. Whoopty shit. It was nothing you couldn't do (and do better, and cheaper, and with more subtlety) with a dozen other cyberware/bioware options (none of which stacked, of course, with the cyberlimb option).

A Strr 7 cyberarm is something to sneeze at, especially when they later integrated the "average all your limbs and use that strength score" BS in M&M. You either had a character who had so much bioware his metal arm was lagging behind (and literally slowing him down and weakening him), a scrawny guy who had an anvil for a limb (but still did crappy close-combat damage due to the imbalance), or a carefully-tuned balance of the two, with the same Quickness and Strength across the board -- that was a horrible waste of money, and was certainly easier to accomplish in other ways.

If the notion -- the symbolism, the iconic look, the idea -- of cyberlimbs wasn't so cool, they'd be absolutely worthless. As it is, if you're willing to sacrifice playability for style, they can be...kind of okay, but not really.
nick012000
Or if you're a cyberzombie, and willing to spend zillions of nuyen.gif to get... whatever the maximum is (rating 10?) Strength/Quickness enhancments stuck in all of your limbs.
Critias
Even so, it's nothing you can't do with Muscle Augmentation and Muscle Toner, for less essence/bio index, and less money, and to wind up looking less obvious.
nick012000
Yeah well, when you're a cyberzombie, money doesn't tend to matter much. wink.gif
Grinder
The fact that annoyed me most at SR1-3 cyberlimbs was their high price. Imo cyberlimbs have a huge market; they're not only useful to a specialized cutsomer group like smartlinks. So many people in the world suffer from a lost leg or arm and would likely pay some nuyen to get a replace. But 100,000 nuyen.gif for a basic model?

The new prices of SR4 make much more sense to me. Finally you don't have to sell your house just to get an improved cyberarm. biggrin.gif
Critias
QUOTE (nick012000)
Yeah well, when you're a cyberzombie, money doesn't tend to matter much. wink.gif

Yes it does. If anything, it matters more than usual. Just because corps (and other groups able to fund a cyberzombie) have money doesn't mean they love spending it on worthless crap -- you don't get filthy rich by being inefficient.
nick012000
QUOTE (Critias)
QUOTE (nick012000 @ Dec 10 2005, 05:25 AM)

Yes it does. If anything, it matters more than usual. Just because corps (and other groups able to fund a cyberzombie) have money doesn't mean they love spending it on worthless crap -- you don't get filthy rich by being inefficient.

I'll also point out that the price of the ware in cyberzombies is chump change to megacorps. I remember a character in a novel (not the best source, I know) thinking something to the effect of "Tens of thousands of nuyen have been imbezzled by someone at your company? [division AAA megacorp he works for] spends that much on office supplies." It was the novel with the evil mage who kidnapped the tiger 'shifter assasin's cub, and the Raccoon shaman shadowrunner who turns up on the doorstep of his corporate executive sister.
Critias
If you're knowingly wastefull on chump change, it adds up to real money pretty quick. And, especially once you start increasing the grade and amount of 'ware (like you would when making a cyberzombie), it comes closer and closer to breaking that "chump change" limit, anyways.

When you know you're going to go to all the trouble and expense of making a cyberzombie, why would a successfull corp knowingly be so horribly inefficient about it? You don't get to be a successfull corp by doing stuff half-assed. Just because you can be wastefull doesn't mean you want to be. It's all about the bottom line.

It's the principle of it. Yes, you have to spend money to make money. But that doesn't mean you have to throw the stuff away on stupid crap like it's going out of style. It's all a matter of profit/loss, to the mega's -- just because their ideas of profit and loss are huge compared to ours doesn't mean they can ignore that.

And it's not like ARES MACROTECHNOLOGY, the monolithic entity posessing a hive-mind, is gonna say "Let's make a cyberzombie today!" You've got some manager somewhere, of some division, trying to pull some impressive shit, out to get some shit done to get his boss's attention, who's got to stay under budget in the meantime. He's not gonna look and go "Ares can afford it," and just decided to cram some soldier full of worthless crap that costs twice as much as efficient gear.

I stand by it: corp or not, when it comes to raw attribute increases, cyberlimbs just aren't worth it. If you're really after a few cyberlimb-specific tricks (like having a swiss army knife instead of a left arm), they just don't work except for style points (and corps, especially, don't care about those when they're funding soem combat monster).
SpasticTeapot
QUOTE (nick012000)
QUOTE (Critias @ Dec 10 2005, 06:02 AM)

I'll also point out that the price of the ware in cyberzombies is chump change to megacorps. I remember a character in a novel (not the best source, I know) thinking something to the effect of "Tens of thousands of nuyen have been imbezzled by someone at your company? [division AAA megacorp he works for] spends that much on office supplies." It was the novel with the evil mage who kidnapped the tiger 'shifter assasin's cub, and the Raccoon shaman shadowrunner who turns up on the doorstep of his corporate executive sister.

An AAA megacorp likely spends more than that on ballpoint pens or paperclips.
daily.

On the issue of cyberlimbs, I personally think they're pretty sad. It's not hard to make the fingers strong enough to crush someone's neck; in 2060, it should be even easier. And if you've got titanium bone lacing, having insanely strong limbs is less of a problem.
Ancient History
Of course, the questions no one asks are:
1) Could metahumans properly control easily-snap-someone's neck strength?
2) Would the Powers-What-Is allow every Jane Citizen to hacker her arms off, put on some beefy cyberlimbs and go around snapping people's necks as the whim takes her?
3) Would someone with superhuman cyberarm strength try to do something stupid (like, say, trying to lift their car) and end up ripping their arms off?
Grinder
QUOTE (Ancient History)
3) Would someone with superhuman cyberarm strength try to do something stupid (like, say, trying to lift their car) and end up ripping their arms off?

Yep - someone stupid will definitively try it. But any corp worth its money will have a long list of "what you shouldn't do while having a cyberlimb attached to a weak meat body" list send with it.

Just think of microwaves and hamsters. biggrin.gif
Antimuppet
The neck (or well other body parts) snapping is what I'm talkin' bout. It's not so much "Can I pick that car up" (although that would rock to see). It's about grabbing somebody with a seven function force-feedback manipulator cased in grubby pink plastic and causing no end of havoc.
Ancient History
Ah, it's good you appreciate the classics, friend artiste.
Deamon_Knight
From a setting/story standpoint, this is a reasonable explanation as to why uberchromearms don't exist. Every street punk who thinks hes somebody will buy them, then try to pick up a ford americar and rip apart the torso the arms are attached to. 300 Class action Lawsuits later, the corps stop producing arms that could in anyway do this, and add a disclaimer etched over the forearm NOT MEANT FOR INDUSTRIAL LOADS. DO NOT LIFT CARS!

As to why much more powerful limbs aren't available on the black market, well, that a different call.

The only other advantage to cyberlimbs is they are the only other way to add to your body score after maxing bonelacing and Dermal Plating/Sheathing.
Fix-it
a disclaimer etched over the forearm NOT MEANT FOR INDUSTRIAL LOADS. DO NOT LIFT CARS!

added to txt-file-o-Fluff. for use on the next character with an obvious cyberlimb.
Catsnightmare
post deleted due to massive error
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Catsnightmare)
In SR4: 250,000 max in gear, synth cyberamr is 20,000 nuyen, that's costing you 12.5% of your total gear funds.

8%. Not much of a reduction in relative cost, but still a reduction.
nick012000
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (Catsnightmare)
In SR4: 250,000 max in gear, synth cyberamr is 20,000 nuyen, that's costing you 12.5% of your total gear funds.

8%. Not much of a reduction in relative cost, but still a reduction.

I think he got confused, because while 250/20 is 12.5, what it would be to work out the percentage is 20/250x100=8.
Catsnightmare
You're right.
That's what I get for trying to do math while being disnumeric. wobble.gif
FrostyNSO
I seriously don't see the guy with super-strength replacement arms tearing them out of his torso trying to lift a car unless he has super-strength replacement legs to go with it. Even if he does, he needs a stronger back (cyber-torso anybody). The muscles in his legs and back will give out long before he tears his arms off in most cases...but that would be damn funny.

It's not the strength in his arms that will seperate them from his body. His arms are really just holding onto the car and nothing else if his legs can't support the weight. Pushing up with the legs is the motion that will do the seperation.
nick012000
That would be the smart way to do it, yes.

Someone who rips their arm off obviously isn't too smart. He's probably grab the pole in between the front and rear windows and doors, and then make a lifting motion.
Sandoval Smith
Body straightens up, cars stay on the ground, arms stay with the car.

It's too bad I don't have my Ghost in the Shell manga here, there was a great little aside picture about this very problem (cyber arm can lift 120 kilos, meat shoulder reaches limit at 60).
Ancient History
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
I seriously don't see the guy with super-strength replacement arms tearing them out of his torso trying to lift a car unless he has super-strength replacement legs to go with it. Even if he does, he needs a stronger back (cyber-torso anybody). The muscles in his legs and back will give out long before he tears his arms off in most cases...but that would be damn funny.

It's not the strength in his arms that will seperate them from his body. His arms are really just holding onto the car and nothing else if his legs can't support the weight. Pushing up with the legs is the motion that will do the seperation.

Aye, GitS illustrated the problem nicely. See, the problem is that cyberlimbs do not act like normal metahuman limbs. If a normal metahuman tried to lift a car, their back and leg muscles would indeed give out first as you say. But if a character with cyberarms tries to pick up a car - that is, tells his arms to bend while one end is attached to the car - the arms will bend, but because they're anchored, this will cause the shoulder attachments to come up. Depending on the force involved, this could be as embarassing as being lifted bodily into the air...or as deadly as your arms ripping themselves from your sockets as they move and the rest of you doesn't.
FrostyNSO
What I'm trying to say, is that unless the body is physically unable to, the body will move downwards first rather than the car lift up. Usually when lifting heavy loads with your arms (not reccommended), this is accomplished by making the legs and back rigid enough to support the load. The legs and back need to have the force to tear the arms out of their sockets, not the arms themselves. So a guy with a cyber torso and two replacement legs but with meat arms would be in trouble.

Now if a guy tries to attach one arm to something solid and pull with the other, then you have a problem. Picture that pair of jeans between the two horses on the your levis tab.
akarenti
As far as the strenth of cyberlimbs I think it's important to note that in SR cyberlimbs are intended as quickly accessible replacement limbs; they require quite extraordinary facilities to manufacture, and are designed as replacements, not upgrades. The baseline cyberlimb goes to Tim, Company Clerk when he's in a car accident; the widely available ones are designed for average people. Average people would prefer not crushing their relatives and family pets.

As many crazy transhumanist cybermonkeys there are, they are a rather neglidable market for a Megacorp. The only legal cyberlimbs designed for combat would probably simply be upgraded versions of commercial ones that are given to athletes and military persons at great expense.

As a Shadowrunner, there are really only 3 reasons to get a cyberlimb:
1) your limb was blown off and you don't have weeks to wait around for a new one to be grown or found.
2) your limb was blown off and you figure you figure that a few extra electronic gizmos could only help
3)you are a crazy transhumanist cybermonkey

All that being said, I think they are a tad overcost. In my games, I drastically reduce the cost of a lot of cyberwar during gameplay (I still use book prices during character creation for simplicity), esp stolen ware. While Tim, Company Clerk might have a fat insurance policy that is willing to dole out 100,000 nuyen.gif to replace his arm, I don't think the average blackmarketeer would expect that kind of return on stolen property.
SL James
Tim's got a 50/50 chance of getting a used arm, too, if its temporary.

That's be great if there was a cyberarm out that that's been passed around more often than ... Well, I'll let you finish that one.
FrostyNSO
"Check it out guys, this new arm of mine always relaxes into a kung-fu grip for some reason."
hyzmarca
Top 10 reasons why no insurance company would pay for Tim the office clerk to get a cyberarm.

10 - Cyberarms are never medically necessary except when under the influance of wierd plot-devices.
9 - Clonal relacements are cheaper
8 - Office Clerk isn't exactly a time sensitive job. Tim doesn't need a new limb instantly. He'd probably be on leave untill he fully recovered anyway.
7 - If Tim is a magician then he will suffer from magic loss. He probably isn't but better safe than sued.
6 - Essence loss reduces overall health and wellness, increasing the probability of costly illness of injury.
5 - Essence loss makes medical treatment more difficult increasing the costs to the insurance company the next time Tim does get sick.
4 - If the cyberlimb is temperory two surgeries will be required. Two surgeries cost more than one surgery does.
3 - More surgeries mean more risk of dying on the table. In the world of megacorps Tim's health insurer is probably Tim's life insurer, as well.
2 - He might break it.
1 - Three words. Horrific masturbation accident. Possessing a cyberlimb greatly increases Tim's chance of becoming another masturbation accident statistic, further increasing the costs to the insurance company.
Antimuppet
So, with all of the bad - why is there very little good in getting a limb? What happened back in 88-89 that the original writers didn't put as much awesome in to cyberlimbs as they did into magic?
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Top 10 reasons why no insurance company would pay for Tim the office clerk to get a cyberarm.

10 - Cyberarms are never medically necessary except when under the influance of wierd plot-devices.
8 - Office Clerk isn't exactly a time sensitive job. Tim doesn't need a new limb instantly. He'd proably be on leave untill he fully recovered anyway.
7 - If Tim is a magician then he will suffer from magic loss. He probably isn't but better safe than sued.
6 - Essence loss reduces overall health and wellness, increasing the probability of costly illness of injury.
5 - Essence loss meakes medical treatment more difficult increasing the costs to the insurance company the next time Tim does get sick.
4 - If the cyberlimb is temperory two surgeries will be required. Two surgeries cost more than one surgery does.
3 - More surgeries mean more risk of dying on the table. In the world of megacorps Tim's health insurer is probably Tim's life insurer, as well.
2 - He might break it.
1 - Three words. Horrific masturbation accident. Possessing a cyberlimb greatly increases Tim's chance of becoming another masturbation accident statistic, further increasing the costs to the insurance company.

*gag*

GODDAMNIT, PUT A WARNING LABEL ON NUMBER ONE!

I was eating, and laughed so hard I fucking nearly choked!
Critias
QUOTE (Antimuppet)
So, with all of the bad - why is there very little good in getting a limb? What happened back in 88-89 that the original writers didn't put as much awesome in to cyberlimbs as they did into magic?

Well, cocaine was a lot cheaper back then.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Critias)
QUOTE (Antimuppet @ Dec 11 2005, 01:19 PM)

Well, cocaine was a lot cheaper back then.

Mwahahaaahaaaaaah!

Critias, wit of monowhip.
akarenti
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

While it may be true in my example, there are cases where cyber technology is medically necessary, if the person is suffering from some sort of localized nerve or muscular disorder, which do occasionally happen (I have a family member being treated for such a condition).

That depends on whether the client has to stay hospitalized while they're growing his new limb--500 nuyen.gif can add up. Also it depends on who the hostpital has contracts with, and what Mega Tim works for.
8 - Office Clerk isn't exactly a time sensitive job. Tim doesn't need a new limb instantly. He'd probably be on leave untill he fully recovered anyway.

That depends on who's clerk Tim is, once again; and that is not the case for employees in managerial posistions, or people who work on commission.

I don't think anyone in the 6th World who lives well enough to have health insurance has not been tested for magical ability. And all people with magical abilites must register them; if they ask you if you smoke today, I think they'll ask if your a magician in SR before you take out the policy.

It may, but the effect is neglidable unless the individual has very low essence; cloning limbs I'm sure has quite a few potential complications on its own.
5 - Essence loss makes medical treatment more difficult increasing the costs to the insurance company the next time Tim does get sick.

Once again, this is neglidable with simply a baseline cyberlimb.

Why would they instal a temporary cyberlimb? And medical costs very in more ways than the flat number of surgeries.

And it's probably the same corp he's working for, who would be paying for his leave while he was in the hostpital, and might also be the corp that manufactures cyberlimbs; also, I doubt there is much chance of death on the operating table when installing a cyberlimb; considering you can get a Datajack (which involves shoving metal into someone's brain) in a local mall.
2 - He might break it.

Cyberlimbs are more durable than normal limbs; he would be more likely to break a natural arm; and cyberlimbs don't have to wait for extended healing periods when they are repaired.

Right. sarcastic.gif
eidolon
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)

Or cause the hernia. eek.gif Ouch!
SL James
QUOTE (akarenti)
And it's probably the same corp he's working for, who would be paying for his leave while he was in the hostpital, and might also be the corp that manufactures cyberlimbs; also, I doubt there is much chance of death on the operating table when installing a cyberlimb; considering you can get a Datajack (which involves shoving metal into someone's brain) in a local mall.

I take it you don't use the surgery rules in Man & Machine.
Kagetenshi
What surgery rules? I noticed some weird blank pages towards the back, but no surgery rules…

~J
SL James
Oh, I must have been hallucinating. I kept having nightmares when I opened the book of seeing the most batshit crazy rules, even compared to the vehicle construction rules in Rigger 3, where installing a datajack took weeks and you could die getting an arm replaced.
Kagetenshi
Depends on what you mean by "batshit crazy". If you mean "probably pretty realistic, all things considered" you're right. If you mean "pretty much not at all fun and thus with no place in a game", you're also right.

~J
SL James
Mostly the latter. I appreciate the complexity... to a point. It was a cool idea that you could get a datajack as easily as getting a pair of glasses nowadays, but yeah. It is hard to read and really take seriously for some reason.
tisoz
Back in the 80's, the cost probably seemed reasonable. A pair of cyberlegs and an arm plus an eye or an ear cost $6,000,000, at least according to The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman. However, Steve Austin never ripped his own arm off lifting cars; it took an anthroform sasquatch to do that.
Grinder
Oh, and let's not forget the prices for somputers back then.

At least vinyls had been cheaper...
Arz
QUOTE (nick012000)
QUOTE (Critias @ Dec 10 2005, 06:02 AM)

That's just the number you and I pay for cyberlimbs. Megacorps also charge themselves that number but turn an internal profit in another department. Its all about accounting, the bill goes round and round.
Kyoto Kid
About the only cyberlimbs I ever considered were Cyberfeet and that was only to get the built in retractable rollerblades. Ended up getting confuused on the whole implant base attribute vs. character attribute thing. Turned out better for her just to go to REI & pick up a pair of Fusion S-6000s and deal with putting them on & taking them off the old fashioned way.
Drac
Weeks for a Datajack? Possible death for a Cyberlimb?
That's insane. In the latter half of the 21st century there is no way that's believable unless your installing them with a do-it-yourself kit at home ohplease.gif
ShadowDragon8685
D-I-Y Datajack. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012