Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Earthdown Crossover with SR
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cang
I have a player who wants to be hit with SURGE. He doesn't care how, he thinks it would be fun. I agreed. At first i wanted to make him lizard like but now i am thinking to make him somewhat like a T'skang from Earthdawn. We are doing Harlequins adventure and i would think it would be fun if Harlequin called him a T'skang (being an immortal elf and all, he probaly knows about them). Do you think its a good idea and how would i convert him into something like that. I don't know anything really about character creation in Earthdawn.

PS. do T'skrang shed thier skin. If i am going to post his characters abilities, i want him to loss that pesky orthoskin of his. cyber.gif
Cheops
T'skrang do not shed. However, if he had ortho before he SURGEd then he is in big trouble. Large parts of him would be unprotected assuming he didn't just destroy the ortho. You'd also have to decide on what sort of shapes his body took. My T'skrang has a beak like a small herbivore dinosaur and a rather large head crest that goes from his head to the base of his neck. Add to this his kangaroo sized tail and his orange and red coloration. T'skrang can be just about any form and the book talks about duckbill, spoonbill, and other shaped mouths. no crests, spiky tails, plates like a stegasaur (sp?), blue coloration, etc.

As to game abilities, BARSCILW of 22112111 with E1 and they are able to hold things with their tail (tail attack ability in ED is STR+3 steps so tail attack should be about S/2+1 in SR4).
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Cheops)
BARSCILW of 22112111 with E1.

What?
Valentinew
Body Agility, etc ... with Edge 1
Cang
thanks alot.. i think during his "transformation" he will have to go to the hospital and they will have to remove his orthoskin due to his SURGE effect. I think i'll have him go through this after we do a run in glowcity to keep him guessing exactly what happend to him. Not sure where i am going to run with this, but i think it can get really fun. grinbig.gif
Cheops
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (Cheops @ Dec 16 2005, 12:04 PM)
BARSCILW of 22112111 with E1.

What?

I is lazeeee...

That sounds like a pretty cool idea Cang. Is your group at all familiar with ED? If not they'll be filling their drawers with brown stuff. You may want to make the transformation gradual too to really make it look like some sort of cancer/mutation. BTW, it isn't exactly in canon ED but in my group we assume that T'skrang only have cloacas (sp?) so males and females both look exactly the same gender wise and have no easily discernable sex bits. It is canon that the males are the ones who raise the young and produce the milk for the babies. That might provide some added OMG! for the player.
nick012000
Umm...

T'skrang hatch from eggs that the great dragons are keeping under magical stasis right now, because T'skrang need a certain level of ambient magic to reproduce, so if they woke up now, they couldn't.
Cang
couldn't reprduce or couldn't be in shadowrun? I am planing of him to sort of "goblinize" into one or something that looks like one.
Jaid
i'm pretty sure i remember looking at a crossover information file once that mentioned someone SURGEd into what sounded suspiciously like a T'skrang.
Ancient History
I can fairly rule out any canon references to such a SURGEling.
mintcar
Why not? They have the blood elf thorns as a SURGE effect in the book. I think maybe the only good way to use SURGE might be to add some ED splashes to Shadowrun.
Cang
7125 (Corporate Download)

Lofwyr's servant Scale appears to be a drake, along the lines of an Earthdawn drake. Scale's appearence as a lizard-man could imply the existence of T'skrang in Shadowrun as well as Earthdawn.

something from the ancient files i found lick.gif
nick012000
The T'skrang still exist, they're just all in hibernation, waiting until the mana levels get high enough for them to start reproducing again. There's nothing stopping them from waking up now, it's just that any that do will reduce the breeding population later on, weakening the race in general.

Earthdawn-style drakes are different in that they're magical constructs created by dragon magic, they don't reproduce naturally.
boskop-albatros
Leave it to me to bring this up but couldn't the T'Skrang if they SURGE/Awaken Early then Cluster in parts of the world with Mana Spikes produced by ManaNode clusters or Even a LOCUS?---__ {only a few places like that}ohplease.gif Or in other words--if their is a LifeRock &/or ObsidianPeople--{even fewer are possible for THAT! at this time} [being gender neutral now] around them---then the mana in that area would be high enough for them to breed?________OF COURSE THESE COULD ALL BE JUST FURTHER developments in the 6th world culture durring the 2070's___ cyber.gif grinbig.gif Which will a turbulent time of political reconstruction and inovation----- spin.gif twirl.gif smile.gif
phasmaphobic
QUOTE (nick012000)
Umm...

T'skrang hatch from eggs that the great dragons are keeping under magical stasis right now, because T'skrang need a certain level of ambient magic to reproduce, so if they woke up now, they couldn't.

Really? Where did you read this? I must have missed it, but I would love to read up on it.

And Since I'm out of the loop, what about Obsidimen? And windlings?
nick012000
If memory serves, I read it somewhere on these forums. I think it was by Ancient History, I'm not sure. *shrugs* I might be wrong.

And windlings are around, they just aren't sentient yet, if memory serves. They're the Sprites from Paranormal Animals of Europe and/or Critters.
boskop-albatros
but how do we know that they aren't sentinent yet!!--FREE THE WINDLINGS!!!!:cyber:
nick012000
Because Critters says so? biggrin.gif
Gothic Rose
QUOTE (boskop-albatros)
but how do we know that they aren't sentinent yet!!--FREE THE WINDLINGS!!!!:cyber:

Because they're windlings, dude.

Windlings aren't sentient. They're little bugs that pretend to be nyahnyah.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (phasmaphobic)

The overall magic/mana level isn't high enough to support the existence of these races. Or powerful magic like the adepts of ED and the high-circle spells of that age.
Ancient History
QUOTE (phasmaphobic)
QUOTE (nick012000 @ Dec 16 2005, 04:47 PM)
Umm...

Really? Where did you read this? I must have missed it, but I would love to read up on it.

Denizens of Earthdawn Books I and II. T'skrang do indeed lay eggs, though they aren't always fertile, especially in low-mana areas.

Obsidimen are kinda like flesh-form earth spirits.
mintcar
I donīt remember right now, but wasnīt there something in ED that makes it impossible for obsidimen to still exist in SR? Like they were extinct or something?
boskop-albatros
well if you look around on line you can find windling rules--(don't remember where it was and if the sit is still up)

I just wanna know if Windlings and T'Skrang can get cyber or bio mods (I'm not crazy enough to suggest modifying Obsidionmen) cyber.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (mintcar)
I donīt remember right now, but wasnīt there something in ED that makes it impossible for obsidimen to still exist in SR? Like they were extinct or something?

The mana level is not high enough in the current SR-setting.
RunnerPaul
I'm no loremonger, but I thought all the liferocks ended up getting mined for mineral wealth by SR's time. I seem to remember something official to that subject from the old FASA days.
boskop-albatros
never heard that before-but it's very possible; I always figured that if their were any liferocks becoming active in the current 6th world that they would be in awakened lands so remote that it would take some extream circumstances for the young 6th world obsidimen to need to shadowrun anyway
Ophis
On obsidimen, there appears to be a life rock on an island in lake Baikal in siberia, large rock men have been sghted near it (shadows of Asia) and one of the rascists on Yamatesu's (now Evo) board surged (info in Year of the comet on surge is sent to him by his doc) and he is described in System Failure as being a big rock man, make of that what you will.
Omer Joel
By the way, my girlfriend has drawn up something similar to a lizard-style SURGE-victime young girl: Nejala. Not a full T'skang, but seems quite SURGE-y for me, and might be a "partial" T'skang result: green scaley skin and a big balance/prehensile tail.
boskop-albatros
cool that means all we need now is jackelmen

IS there any other extra ED races besides Jackelmen?
Grinder
Leafers (?) and Ulk-Men iirc.
FrostyNSO
I just thought "Leafer" was a derogatory term for elves...
Grinder
MAybe, but iirc a race presented in the Theran Empire has that name too. smile.gif
boskop-albatros
so what would leafer, jackelmen, and Ulk-men rules for shadowrun be??
FrostyNSO
Here's some rough skratches, though my ED knowledge is meak.

Leafers:

-1 STR, -1 QWK, +2 BOD, -1 CHA

I think I remember them getting some sort of pain resistance, like the only modifiers they get is to healing tests. However to heal they have to root (or something like that).

Jackalmen:

+2 STR, +1 BOD, -2 INT, -2 CHA, +1 WIL

Lowlight vision, and can make a bite attack <(STR)M maybe?>

Ulk-men:

+2 STR, -1 QWK, +3 BOD, -1 INT, -2 CHA

There was something about them being able to learn Horror powers but also being vulnerable to things the Horrors were vulnerable to.
Azralon
QUOTE (Cang @ Dec 16 2005, 10:32 PM)
7125 (Corporate Download)

Lofwyr's servant Scale appears to be a drake, along the lines of an Earthdawn drake. Scale's appearence as a lizard-man could imply the existence of T'skrang in Shadowrun as well as Earthdawn.

I wouldn't equate drakes to T'skrangs. Yeah, both are scaly, but they're not the same critter.

Also, "spike babies" have precedent (the current SR mana levels aren't supposed to be sufficient for drakes to exist, but there are circumstances that have let a few express). So having a few population pockets in very high-mana areas doesn't sound out of the question.
ogbendog
funny that mana levels aren't high enough now for T'skrang. I seem to recall that someone said once that any ED mage would think that SR has lots of magic; healing magic is much more powerful in SR than it is in ED.
Jaid
who knows, maybe it has something to do with the fact that there isn't a background count of like 50 million in most places in SR.
boskop-albatros
well I'm not so crazy to think if you were going to use Obsidimen,Windlings(Sprites), T'Skrang(Lizardmen), Leafers(Treepeople??) and Jackelmen~They shouldn't be more then Very Rare!~ As for Ulk-Men since they need Horror's to really exist Nothing Short of Harliquinn part 3 (Harliquinn Strikes Again!!~Or a similar ultrahigh level SR Horror Adventure) would warrent using them

Comments? Thoughts?
Cang
I am not thinking of using a T'skrang regularly. I was just thinking it would be fun to SURGE a char. into one or something like one during our Harlequin Adventure. Since he knows close to nothing about ED, it will really through him into a tailspin and make him dig for information (something my team isn't prone to do).
Grinder
QUOTE (ogbendog)
funny that mana levels aren't high enough now for T'skrang. I seem to recall that someone said once that any ED mage would think that SR has lots of magic; healing magic is much more powerful in SR than it is in ED.

Yeah, but SR mages get body damage when they cast a spell. And ED adepts can perfomr stunts noone in SR is capable of at the moment.
Cheops
QUOTE (ogbendog)

What this comes from is the corruption of astral space that took place during the Scourge in Earthdawn. Spellcasters had to come up with something called a spell matrix (presented as the Filtering metamagic ability in SR3) which was essentially a safe pocket of astral space in which they could place their spell threads and cast from. If you didn't use one then you were in for a whole world of hurt/torment.

ED magic is still far more powerful than SR magic but whether that is because it is "lost" or because it is impossible to do has not yet been clarified. With the current bias towards adding ED links in canon material I'm sure this will get clarified more in the future. If you've ever tried to convert ED adepts into SR ones and seen what ED mages can do you'd be shocked.

Taking the baseline conversion the Elementalists in my party have ED effect step of 24 for Throne of Air. So about 22 dice in SR3 converts to 14 dice for free dodge tests against any attack that the Elementalist is aware of in combat. The Warrior/Sky Raider has Shield Bash, Battle Shout & Bellow, Melee Weapons, Momentum Attack, and Air Dance. This means he gives up to 5 opponents -3 SR4 dice to all actions, has two attacks at 7 dice one of which causes an automatic knockdown check, if he gets a critical success on the melee attack he gets another free attack at 5 dice, and if he doubles your initiative then he gets another attack for free. All of this costs him about one box of stun damage (and that's over inflating since his Durability and Wood Skin could make it even less). The T'skrang I used to play would split his pool dice to do 2 attacks (melee plus unarmed with tail) at about 8 dice each, would get another attack at 4 dice and if he doubled your initiative he'd get to do it all again at the cost of about half a box of stun, or he could roll everything at half effect, take a full box, and add 4 dice to all defense rolls.

Comparing ED to SR is apples to oranges right now. Unless you're going up against 4th Agers in which case you'd need to do the crossover.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012