Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aspected magicians?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pendaric
Am sure there are people out there that do play aspected magicians other that adepts. Care to give voice to how many?
And if so for general edification, what kind?
They seem an under used choice, particularly hermetic conjurers.?
Dawnshadow
I've got a shamanic conjurer. Scary powerful when she wants to send her horde against people. Invoking+channelling.
Roadspike
I love playing Aspected Sorcerers. Although I do enjoy summoning spirits, I find it a secondary use for a magic user, and prefer the straight-out Sorcery angle. Plus, it's kind of fun to work a "weakness" into my characters: "You're a mage, right? Go Astral and check out that building." "Um... I can't. I'll do what I can with Clairvoyance, but I can't just zip around and check it all out."
Critias
I have a lot of fun with Aspected Sorcerors. I find saving a few points at character creation helps a lot (along with not needing two Active skills to do your schtick) -- but then I've never been a fan of the physically frail, helpless, guy who can only cast spells. I like to give average-to-good stats across the board, and a handfull of physical skills, to my mages; saving the points on being Aspected helps with that.
TheHappyAnarchist
Aspected Hermetic Conjurers are generally woefully underrated.

You would be amazed at the badassery that is theirs to command.
Calvin Hobbes
Yeah, summoning in something with immunity to ordinary weapons and letting it run interference for the escape is my favorite tactic.
Sicarius
Playing a Wolf Shamanist at the moment. Plays about like what Critias describes. I'd add that the additional 10 spell points are helpful.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (TheHappyAnarchist)

Not the least because they only have to use their magic under controlled circumsrances, and can thus Geas it all to hell. The rest of the time you can be a Rigger or something, but every once in a while you can drop 5 Force 8 Water Elementals on somebody. You don't even have to shut of the Wanjina to do it.

-Frank
Pendaric
This does my heart good to see that old 1% being diverse. Lets push the envelope.
Any Shamanists?
(As an aside, Frank T. thats a huge kick me sign on the PC. At least when I am reffing wink.gif )
Jaid
QUOTE (Pendaric)
This does my heart good to see that old 1% being diverse. Lets push the envelope.
Any Shamanists?
(As an aside, Frank T. thats a huge kick me sign on the PC. At least when I am reffing wink.gif )

QUOTE (Sicarius)
Playing a Wolf Shamanist at the moment. Plays about like what Critias describes. I'd add that the additional 10 spell points are helpful.
Pendaric
My apologies Sicarius and thank you Jaid.
I should therefore should of said, any other shamanists?
embarrassed.gif
TheHappyAnarchist
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
QUOTE (TheHappyAnarchist @ Dec 19 2005, 05:13 PM)

Not the least because they only have to use their magic under controlled circumsrances, and can thus Geas it all to hell. The rest of the time you can be a Rigger or something, but every once in a while you can drop 5 Force 8 Water Elementals on somebody. You don't even have to shut of the Wanjina to do it.

-Frank

You mean my shadowrunner can only summon and bind spirits during the day, after fasting (I skipped breakfast)!

Oh the horror!!! How ever will I get by. I guess I will just have to shoot you 6 times in the face after I turn on my wires. wink.gif
Glyph
I generally prefer sorcerers. I know that conjurers are powerful, in much the same way drone riggers are, but there's just something more satisfying, to me, about accomplishing things with personal power, be it a spell or an assault rifle, than relying on other things to do it for you. Even though the latter actually tend to be more powerful.

I also prefer sorcerers to full mages. They are so much cheaper (not just the 5 build points, but also the conjuring skill, and you don't need a high Charisma unless you're building a face). You wind up with decent Attributes and a wide range of skills.
Sharaloth
One of my older characters is a seriously powerful Combat Sorceress. From character creation she had 9 spells (including a Force 3 inc. Reflexes +3 and a Force 6 Armor, both of which had sustaining foci to keep them running), Muscle Augmentation and Toner (only lost one point of magic, ungeased) which collectively turned her into a high-speed damage dealer. Decent skills in a variety of areas (Though not very versatile, she was focused on taking people out with spells, so only a specialized pistols and pole-arms skill. In a straight fight she was more dangerous than the team Adept or Sammy. For added measure she had a batch of Kamikaze in case of emergency asskicking.

The only major headache she encountered (other than the evil addiction rules, but high will and body make those easier to avoid if you abuse the drugs responsibly) was the lack of Astral Projection. It really coulda come in handy a bunch of times, and there was this one case with a Free Spirit that decided to go all vendetta against her. She could blow it away every time it appeared, but it just kept coming back, and ended up killing all her contacts and friends.
nick012000
Don't forget the Voodoo conjurers.

See this for why.
Mr.Platinum
I have never had an Aspect mage in my games
and I've been running since 1st edition.
Grimtooth
Currently playing a hermetic bodyguard. Not a single offensive spell. Just armor, barriers, and fashion stuff so he can fit in with the clientele.
killifish
We have yet to play the first session, but I've created a Mouse Shamanist. We're going to be playing a Doc Wagon High Threat Response team and my shamanist is going to be the doc. He's limited to Health and Detection spells, but I imagine Stabilize and Detect Individual will come in handy. Not a single offensive spell might be seen as a drawback, but he can fire his SMG just fine. At any rate he's got his team mates to watch his back. smile.gif
warrior_allanon
um, you do realize that "Increase Reflexes" is a health spell right
Dale
Do Magician Adepts count?
Like Wolfgang Keis. Mostly hand to hand types but with a few spells as back up.
Trax
Why not get stunbolt as well? It doesn't kill anything. Unless of course they are near the edge of something very high up. But at least they won't be awake when they hit the ground.
FlakJacket
I've played quite a few aspected magicians in the past, after adepts they're my favourite type of character. Played the occassional conjurer, mostly all shamans, but the majority of times they were mage sorcerers. A few levels of initiation, low level power focus and a sprinkling of cyberware equates to exceedingly scary and efficient combat monster. smile.gif
killifish
QUOTE (warrior_allanon)
um, you do realize that "Increase Reflexes" is a health spell right

I do, but I haven't picked that as one of my spells. It doesn't really fit with the mood of the game.
Glyph
QUOTE (Trax)
Why not get stunbolt as well? It doesn't kill anything. Unless of course they are near the edge of something very high up. But at least they won't be awake when they hit the ground.

That's a good spell for a shaman, but not possible for a Mouse Totem shamanist, who only gets spells that he receives a Totem bonus for. Thus, only Detection and Health spells. There are a few Health spells that can be used offensively, but they are generally not worth it - he's right to stick to the SMG.
Trax
Oops, forgot about that.
killifish
I think the most violent spell on my character is Combat Sense with a sustaining foci. Should work nicely with the SMG smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012