Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sample flaws for consideration.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
emo samurai
Lovesick. The character is manipulated by those he is attracted to easily. Any member of the opposite (or same) sex has a reaction modifier of +3. BP value?

Sadistic I have no idea how to do this one. It would be fun, however crazy it was.
boskop-albatros
indifferent.gif Ok now just for consideration

Troll Poser BP+ 10 (This should be rarer then Elf or Ork Poser)

Humans, Orks, or Dwarves Who get ALOT of sergery and steriods can look like a Troll---also might be more useful for characters working in a Outer Space Environment
wobble.gif
boskop-albatros
a reverse of this would be HUMAN POSER-BP +10 open to Elves,Orks, and Dwarves
ElFenrir
I wouldn't mind them bringing back some of the old ones, but a lot of them gotta be pretty tightly controlled, like Distinctive Style. The GM HAS to make sure the PC keeps their red orb cybereyes, long violet hair and black PVC suit that's rivited to their skin. It's a cool flaw that fits some characters well(I mean, they have Blandness as an edge, this was essentialy the opposite.)

I can see why they did away with Sea Legs/Sea Madness, i guess you can just houserule them in for a pirate-type campaign.

Liper
There's no reason a troll poser should cause more problems then bieng a orc/elf poser, really. No reason to make it twice the bp of regular posers.

Lovesick, make it that the recipient towards anyone of opposite gender or a potential sex mate, he recieves -2 dice towards any con/seduction/intimidation tests against.
boskop-albatros
was scaried troll poser would involve more radical procedure-thanks
(dwarves as troll posers would need cyberpathic hightening-but in space now as shadowuns start going to semi-near earth space more-a dwarf troll poser would do well out there)
Liper
the level of alteration isn't what gives the flaw it's points, but the consequences of it.

Which is largely socially based, and the same "poser" for troll-hood would result in the identical social derision.
Gondor
I have put in the flaw Dependant and Enemy

Dependant (+5) Someone you care about ( mother, sister, friend) that you will go out of your way to help, but does not depend on you for finances and is not living with you.

Dependant (+10) Someone you live with and care about (wife, kid, mother) lifestyle cost increases by 10%.

Dependant (+15) As above but more than one, increase lifestyle cost by 20%. (wife and kids).

Enemy (+5) A fellow shadowrunner or compeditor that will try to snake a job from you and maybe take a shot at you if convenient, but he does not actively try to kill you.

Enemy (+10) A gang or organization that has it in for you, or someone that goes out of his way to kill you.

I like these because they give a little backstory and are another way to screw with the character.
emo samurai
What would sadistic be like? Maybe every time there is an opportunity that is TOO tempting, the player makes a Will roll(2). This doesn't give base points, but does give karma points for roleplaying.
Grinder
Sounds like a combo of Mean As A Rattler and Bloodthirsty of Deadlands. wink.gif
Why not give him points for that flaw?
emo samurai
It's just entirely too subjective; also, karma should be awarded based on the frequency of creepy acts. There are just too many opportunities, with varying amounts of blood in a pencil and paper RPG.
KB12
Dependant (+5) Someone you care about ( mother, sister, friend) that you will go out of your way to help, but does not depend on you for finances and is not living with you.

This is basically a high level contact, I would not allow someone to get extra points for that. I might qualify it if they had to give a mandatory amount of time to the dependent, similar to the old Day Job, but otherwise they are basically good friends and the book does note that contacts will ask for favors at times...

I should also note that I would make sure that this mandatory time does interfer with runs, as all flaws should...
stevebugge
QUOTE (KB12)

This is basically a high level contact, I would not allow someone to get extra points for that. I might qualify it if they had to give a mandatory amount of time to the dependent, similar to the old Day Job, but otherwise they are basically good friends and the book does note that contacts will ask for favors at times...

I should also note that I would make sure that this mandatory time does interfer with runs, as all flaws should...

Or maybe if they added 10-20% to your lifestyle cost
boskop-albatros
so with the social flaws-what are we going do as the genera-gobliniod becomes popular----if you have a Troll looking Ork who is a Human poser?---does ONLY Humanis dislike him because most everyone else can't tell what he really is----Most of the statement at this point Would be for No-one to be able to tell Exactly What metatype He/She is
boskop-albatros
Another Flaw would be American Religions and Movements in 2070 that Aren't Main Stream Now(Presently)

I mean what if you've got a Character Who is A Waco Branch Davidian, Seventh Day-Adventist (One of David Koresh's Follower's Desendants)
emo samurai
Insanity would be fun.
ElFenrir
Me and a friend were talking after braving the masses of xmas shopping tonight, and some things were brought up:

We think it would be pretty easy to use the Allergy table to adjust to some other flaws they used to have...like Flashbacks or Hunted. For instance:

Flashbacks could have Uncommon triggers(2, think of some uncommon triggers like a car wreck), or Common(7, gunfights, etc.) Also, Severity could be like Mild(3, a -2 dice pool to all actions under the flashback), Moderate(8, must make a Composure 3 or so test to do anything at all but spaz out, and if you do, pools take a -4 modifier regardless), or Severe(13, you're a babbling idiot raving about the burning, oh, it burns. You're pretty useless during the duration.)

Doesn't seem to unbalanced to me.

Hunted could be Single(2) or Group(cool.gif, with Mild being 'Watch Your Back, and make sure you have safehouses), to Moderate(yeah, they want you dead, might get a price on your head), to Severe(paint yourself red so the satellite laser designator is harder attached to the Thorshot is harder to see.)

Might work as well...
boskop-albatros
Cool Insanity could be done with triggers like that (Or just call it Skitzing)

Also if you are magicaly active AND Insane!--Much Highjinks can result!

A sorcery Adapt begins casting spells like crazy screaming "the shadows are coming for me!!" (severe reaction)

Also would ED SURGES suffer any kind of social penalty & WHAT kind of hacker would a Quadrapleagic Be? (Paralized from the neck down)
boskop-albatros
and what kind of Penalty would being Transvestite/Transgendered/Transexed Be?
PlatonicPimp
Where ever people discuss bringing back the personality Flaws, I WILL BE THERE!

With this bit of advice. You don't pay employees before they do the work. You don't pay for internet service before you get it. You don't give a puppy a treat until AFTER they go on the paper.

Likewise, when a character wants something like the vindictive flaw, or be a persecuted religion, or whatever, you shouldn't give them build points up front for roleplaying they are essentially promising to do later.

You have to ask yourself, why does the player what this flaw? If it is for the build points, I promise you that two sessions into the campaign they will be arguing why they don't have to roleplay their flaw in that circumstance. They will not bother to actually be religious, they will un-dye their hair, they will work against the flaw rather than with it because they didn't really want the flaw, they just wanted more build points. You gave them what they wanted, but now they don't want to pay the piper. You feel gyped because they aren't holding up their end of the bargain, and they feel gyped because you are forcing them to play a character in a way they dont want to play. Bad recipe.

If the player wants the flaw for the roleplaying, then they will take it even if there is no corresponding benifit in the form of bonus BP. Someone really interested in playing a character who is a devout mamber of a persecuted religion will play that role for the fun of it, and for no other reason. Beware the palyer who says "I really want to play this flaw, but without the extra BP, how will my flawed character survive?" That person really falls under option 1.

Now lets say you get someone who wants to take the distinctive style flaw, and will do it even after you tell them they get no points for it? Congradulations, you have a real role player on your hands. They should be rewarded. But not until after they do the role-playing. The answer: Bonus Karma. Every session where the character's flaw comes into play, and they do a good job role playing it, they get bonus Karma. Make sure the players understand this up front, and they will load their characters down with character flaws and play them to the hilt, in hopes of that sweet, sweet carrot you, as GM, have dangled in front of them. Since this is what we want from our flaws, it is good.
littlesean
PlatonicPimp-
I agree with you about 90%. But I have seen that method backfire. I have been blessed (cursed?) with a group of decent roleplayers. One guy played a gnome that hated being picked up. He took no points for this, but he would make a Willpower check like a Shark or Bear shaman or just go berserk. And he simply had no way to effectively resist Fireball at level 6D and frequently exploded and knocked himself out in the process. If he had been the only neurotic character, that would have flown, but he wasn't. It can get complex coordinating all of it, and those who DON'T have these flaws can get impatient waiting for play time.

But as I said, I am about 90% in your corner.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
Now lets say you get someone who wants to take the distinctive style flaw, and will do it even after you tell them they get no points for it? Congradulations, you have a real role player on your hands. They should be rewarded. But not until after they do the role-playing. The answer: Bonus Karma. Every session where the character's flaw comes into play, and they do a good job role playing it, they get bonus Karma.

Sounds like taken straight out of GURPS. wink.gif
ElFenrir
I'm about half, well, more than half in agreement with Pimp.

Tho like littlesean, ive seen the method backfire as well. Ive also seen groups of good roleplayers actually just TRY to bring their flaws to the forefront constantly for the sake of roleplaying, to the point where it disrupted the game and endangered not only themselves but the whole party, and more than a little of the time. By using the book method, you get at least a bit of a rule of thumb to use how often they pop up, and sort of limits just how many they can saddle themselves with. I have seen some masochistic players out there that will saddle their characters with a LOT of crippling flaws for roleplaying's sake(noble enough), but there ARE a select few that try to steal 'screen time' with them as well...yes, I have run into players who have taken flaws in order to gain more screentime rather than more points.

Of course, the reverse method can work too...people take the flaws at chargen, with the points...but if they DON"T roleplay them, that's a little less karma they get(you do get karma for good roleplaying, so this is where it would come from.) After getting 2 or so less karma each session, being 6-8 karma behind their partners after just a few sessions(you can see how this will start to add up longer it goes), they'll hopefully get the point. I don't belive in taking karma AWAY, but getting less at the end of the night might do the trick. And remember, stuff you buy ingame is expensive: You want all the karma you can get.

I think method 2 works a little more streamlined personally. Still makes them roleplay the flaws, without running into the couple of problems you might run into using method one.

MaxHunter
I have to agree with Elfenrir.
BTW, Flashbacks and Enemy are very nice too!

Cheers!

Max
ElFenrir
Yaknow, you could also perhaps use the same chart for Enemy....Single or Small Group(-2), Large Group(-7), with the 'how bad they hate you' as the severity.
Gondor
(KB12)

When taking a dependant as a flaw, they have a loyalty rating of 5 or 6, however there connection rating is always 1, and they have limited stats, and use. another negative is the fact that your loyalty to them is 6, also if the dependant dies, you have affectively given up that flaw, and must pay double the karma cost of the negative quality.

The idea is to encourage background, and to give me something to hold over their heads. Few characters would choose to take this for free, must less pay for it.
aussie elf
some good stuff in here. I thought it could also be interesting to use favors as qualities either positive or negative. Spend BP someone owes you a favor or for a couple extra BP you could be in dept to someone. Now there would have to be limits and be watched too like not going over a level 3 favor (favor rating table pg. 281)
either way, and it would have to be specific to a contact the character has so something like a street dock probably couldn't get you corp access. Not sure what the BP cost would be but not a lot if I come up with something I'll post something.
PlatonicPimp
I've added Enemies to my home game quite easily, actually. I use the contact rules, only replace loyalty with enmity, which is efectively a negative loyalty score, reflecting how bad the person hates you.

The BP return is the same as if you would pay for the person as a contact. So a connections 3, enmity 3 enemy would be give you as many BP as a Llyalty 3, connections 3 contact would cost.
SpasticTeapot
Cold Bastard
Although a cool, uncaring demeanor is considered desirable by most in the shadow community, this character is just plain freaky. He or she can order a small child to be tortured, and then show no reaction at all to her screams. He can electrocute kittens, mangle puppies, and snap the necks of doves with no second thoughts.

Game Effects:
- Penalty of -2 to all dice pools for social tests not linked directly to shadowrunning or similar activities. (Certian Jhonsons may get along BETTER with this type of character, in fact. The same applies to toxic shamans, Twisted Way adepts, and pretty much anyone affiliated to Aztechnology).
- +1 dice pool bonus to intimidation tests, providing the character does something suitably cruel without emotion. (If I saw someone crush a baby in his bare hands without even the slightest shred of emotion, I'd be a little spooked myself.)
-Character may not have any contacts with a loyalty of greater than 2, unless they are similarly scary individuals. (Ghouls, organleggers, aztech employees are all good examples.)
- Character has a degree of immunity to some Horror powers, in addition, some Horrors are unable to "feed" off of him.

Thoughts?

Hmm....perhaps I should ressurect my "Yaoi Victim" flaw....
Mr.Platinum
Hmmm a Dwarf trool poser, a little cyber + ugly and it works.
Valentinew
QUOTE (KB12)

I think you should take the description "friends" out. An obligation/flaw like this one would definitely work with a relative, but I agree that a friend in this role would simply be another contact.

I do like the idea of being allowed to buy this flaw for family, though.

I keep seeing "The Fifth Element" in my head, & Corbin's mother calling him at the most inopportune times....
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (ElFenrir)
I wouldn't mind them bringing back some of the old ones, but a lot of them gotta be pretty tightly controlled, like Distinctive Style. The GM HAS to make sure the PC keeps their red orb cybereyes, long violet hair and black PVC suit that's rivited to their skin. It's a cool flaw that fits some characters well(I mean, they have Blandness as an edge, this was essentialy the opposite.)

I can see why they did away with Sea Legs/Sea Madness, i guess you can just houserule them in for a pirate-type campaign.

I agree,

KK basically puts on Kabuki face makeup before going on a run, Wears a Stetson and Armoured Range jacket, uses two six guns (Doc Holiday style) and combines both acrobatic and dance moves when melee fighting. Yeah, I'd call that distinctive.
Space Ghost
Right now i'm playing a full borg who is allergic to electricity. It sounds dumb when i say it like that, but we modified the allergy flaw to encompass some design flaws in his cybernetic body.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (KB12)

Contacts should only be worth points if they are useful to you. Characters will have friendly interactions with countless other characters during the course of a game, any of which could be called contacts. But, we don't charge BP for any Tom, Dick, and Harry that you might shake hands with sometime during the day.

The point of the dependants flaw isn't to give free contacts nor is it to take time or money away from a character. The point is to have an innocent and mostl defenseless party that a character's enemies can attack to get at him or her.

The dependant flaw can be crippling because the character cares about the dependant's well being. When the dependant is held hostage he could be forced to intentionally fail a mission, betray his teammates, or go on a dangerous and difficult quest to recuse the dependant.

I'm sorry Mario, but the princess is in another castle.
boskop-albatros
ok here are some interesting ones

Autistic
Stutter
vestigial tail(not a joke)
cancer
hermaphrodite/intersexed(not a joke either)
abnormal amount of body hair
downs-syndrome or mentally disabled
skitsophrenic(misspelled-spell check couldn't fix it)
sociophathic & psycopathic
brittle boned
hemophilia
synasteisia(crossing your sences{like hearing colors,feeling smells, or teasting sounds-like and LSD trip})
no immune-system

That is about all I can think of
hyzmarca
Natural hermaphrodite wouldn't be a flaw (it would have to be a result of SURGE, anyway) it would be a positive quality. It would save the character, by my estimation, about .3 to .6 essence worth of bioware.

Intersexed isn't a flaw either. People can live perfectly normal lives with different sexual organs and if they want to change they can do so with cosmetic surgery. Cosmetic surgery doesn't costs essence so this wouldn't be positive or negative.

Cancer is basicly the Borrowed Time flaw. It is a favorite of munchkin combat monsters with no attachment to their characters.
Kyoto Kid
I was also wondering what ever happened to Phobia. This is a pretty basic flaw (bad quality). Yeah, I've seen players come up with some silly ones, but the GM is always the one to make the final call. My decker Diamond Ice had a mild phobia of crawling bugs (she was originally from India), which kicked in from time to time while she was cruising through the matrix (pretty standard iconography).

Another of the old ones was Dark Secret. Again here the GM makes the call & It should be a major part of the character's background (such as Leela who was known to Serb Intel as the notorious saboteur code named the "Queen of Diamonds") While still living in occupied Zagreb, Leela was very active as Cell Z's demolitions expert for over 3 years. This nearly came to light on several occasions, particularly when she began concertising in Europe again.

Finally there is Flashbacks. If handled properly, this should have the potential to affect the character every couple of sessions. Again Leela had the flaw which was triggered whenever she was confronted by large helicopters. At the age of 8 she watched helplessly as two Serb Hind 6s lay waste to the market square in Zagreb. During that afternoon she witnessed the deaths of her father mother and older brother.
nick012000
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Natural hermaphrodite wouldn't be a flaw (it would have to be a result of SURGE, anyway) it would be a positive quality. It would save the character, by my estimation, about .3 to .6 essence worth of bioware.

Intersexed isn't a flaw either. People can live perfectly normal lives with different sexual organs and if they want to change they can do so with cosmetic surgery. Cosmetic surgery doesn't costs essence so this wouldn't be positive or negative.

There are natural hermaphrodites around in the world today. They tend to result when a single egg gets fertilized by two sperm, and tend to have one testicle and one ovary.

Intersexed... yeah, it's 'simple' cosmetic surgery to fix that, and unless you made a point of telling people, noone would know.

As for psychopathy... well, it seems like most shadowrunners have that. wink.gif
BookWyrm
How about Professionalism / Unprofessionalism ?

Professionalism: The character is all business when operating, meaning he/she takes things just as serious as they are. Sometimes this can be mistaken for stoicism (aloofness) but that's just part of the character's makeup. This character is well on their way to becoming a Prime Runner. (suggestions on bonuses welcome)

Unprofessionalism: a serious Flaw, the character is often several minutes (or even more) late to a meeting, glib to the point of really bad jokes for every situation, never has the right tool/weapon/item for the job, ect. It's only a matter of time before someone shoots him (most likely someone on the team). (suggestions on disadvantages welcome)
Kerberos
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

What bioware would that be?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Kerberos)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jan 18 2006, 09:41 PM)
Natural hermaphrodite wouldn't be a flaw (it would have to be a result of SURGE, anyway) it would be a positive quality.  It would save the character, by my estimation, about .3 to .6 essence worth of bioware.

What bioware would that be?

A houseruled piece of bioware that I made up in this thread. There are no canon rules for sexual 'ware but it is obvious that there would be some and the classic Mr. Stud from Cyberpunk 2020 has made its way to many SR universes.

With Shadowrun's well devolped biotech industry, it makes since that medical technology would make complete sex changes with fully functional cloned parts commonplace. With that technology in place, biologically enhanced reproductive glands shouldn't be far behind. Among them would be the cultured parts designed specifically to make their recipient a true hermaphrodite capible of becoming pregnant or impregnating someone.

nick012000, that is correct. However, XX/XY and XO humans don't have two fully functional reproductive systems. Usually, they don't even have one full reproductive system and are sterile. Thus, they are better classified under the umbrella of intersexed and not the insensitive term hermaphrodite. The medical community recognizes this and now uses the more accurate term "gonadal dysgenesis" to describe such conditions Gonadal dysgenesis is classified as a a form of interxexuality.

Biological simultainous hermaphrodites have two fully functional reproductive systems at the same time.
BookWyrm
There was something similar on the UCAS Online website. Hang on a nano--HERE it is.
Glyph
Getting back to PlatonicPimp's advice about personality flaws: I agree that they are generally a bad idea, less for the ones out there and more for the slippery slope effect. Once you introduce flaw points for being vindictive or impulsive, players will want points for being lecherous, or spendthrift, or any number of other character flaws that should simply be part of the background of any character who isn't named Mary Sue.

But if you do introduce them, then there is another way to implement them besides giving roleplaying Karma instead of points. SR4 actually does this, at least slightly more consistently than SR3 did. Make personality flaws all quantifiable. Make them involve either a dice penalty or a Willpower check under circumstances that fall under the flaw. Don't want to really play out that impulsive flaw? Tough. The GM will tell you when you have to roll the dice, and if you fail, your character will run into that alley to investigate that scream, or kick down that door, or whatever.

That's also something that should be done with any new flaw. The Lovesick flaw was an example of this done right - the character suffers a dice penalty when dealing with the opposite sex. The Sadistic flaw should be done similarly. Either the character has to make Willpower tests to avoid being cruel when it is not in the characters best interests (such as trying to bully the VIP's daughter that the team is guarding), or the character should suffer dice penalties for most social skill tests.
MrMiracle
I'd like to see Addiction applied to something other than drugs/BTLs, particularly compulsive behavior. Kleptomaniac, compulsive liar, obsessive compulsive behavior (refuses to put an odd number of bullets into a clip, etc), and so forth.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012