Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stuffer Shack
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
stevebugge
Yes the question of just what is stuffer shack has come to a boiling point in our group. We rotate GM duties and depending on who's running Stuffer Shack either resembles a 7-11 (a 24 hour convenience store specializing in overpriced pseudo food, beer, soda, and magazines), sometimes with a gas pump or it Resembles a certain well known pseudo-burger joint with a pair of yellow arches (which is what I thought Nukit Burgers were). Somehow or other Starbucks survived in our games too which is just scary in and of itself (does anyone else think they are evil enough to be a subsidiary of Aztechnology?) Anyway what's everyones take on the Stuffer Shack, Convenience Store, Fast Food Joint, Regular Grocery, something else entirely?
Lazarus
It's like a Convenience Store/small Wal-Mart. McHugh's is the fast food killing zone.
Tarko
you could see the stuffer shack as a mix between a (small)wallmart and a convenience store
FrostyNSO
I always thought of it as kindof a AM/PM market with a cook and no gas pumps.
Tarko
well Lazarus, you beat me to it smile.gif
Kagetenshi
White Hen.

~J
RunnerPaul
SR1 refered to it as a supermarket chain. Both SR1 and First Run use the analogy of "a half dozen chimpanzees going wild in your local supermarket."

However, the size of the stores indicated on both version of the map suggest something more along the lines of "large convenience store" or "neighborhood corner market" than a supermarket, I would say. To me, at least the terms "supermarket" and "small wal-mart" imply a bank of checkout lanes at the front of the store. Both Stuffer Shack maps had a single checkout counter in the corner by the door.
stevebugge
QUOTE (Lazarus)
It's like a Convenience Store/small Wal-Mart. McHugh's is the fast food killing zone.

Yeah I knew McHugh's. I don't include them that way in my game, the McHugh's Restaurants are pretty nice and quite an institution in Seattle, that and I worked for Mick McHugh's brother Tucker's coffee company for a while (Caffe Appassionato, really good stuff).

http://www.tsmchughs.com/ an example of a McHugh's Restaurant

stevebugge
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
SR1 refered to it as a supermarket chain. Both SR1 and First Run use the analogy of "a half dozen chimpanzees going wild in your local supermarket."

However, the size of the stores indicated on both version of the map suggest something more along the lines of "large convenience store" or "neighborhood corner market" than a supermarket, I would say. To me, at least the terms "supermarket" and "small wal-mart" imply a bank of checkout lanes at the front of the store. Both Stuffer Shack maps had a single checkout counter in the corner by the door.

Those are the sort of things that confuse things.
RunnerPaul
Oh, and for what it's worth, the scale on the map for the SR1 Stuffer Shack gives dimensions of 36 x 30 meters, and that's including the back room areas as well. That's a small Dollar General, or a decent sized 7-11.
Lazarus
The McHugh's in SR is like McDonalds except it has ungodly security complete with knockout gas and plastic tables that provide no cover. I think it was meant as a joke in SR1.

Of course the layout is sort of messed up for what they sell but in the SR1 and the First Run book they sell everything from food and radon kits to cheap furniture. So to me it has the feel of an oversized convenience store or a small Wal-mart with one check out. It’s basically local crappy chain store at its finest. The perfect place to destroy as a little side thing.
Mr.Platinum
Ah the good old Stuffer Shack, it seems everytime i play a game; shit goes down in the Shack?

**Insert sarcasm here**why is this, some one tell me?
Slump
I've always seen Stuffer Shacks as a sort of generic small store. Most have food, some have other stuff. You could probably pick up a TV, and, with the right checks, a couple of automatic weapons.
Snow_Fox
Not quite as big as Walmart or Target, but much more selection than a Wawa or 7/11.

It doesn't have the selection of the bigger stores but it has more than the smaller ones. It is NOT a fast food joint.
Dog
Maybe SS is run by Aztechnology, too?

Well, in my game they are. As is Starbucks, and Wal-Mart, and every other place where I hate to love to waste my money. It's the retail equivalent of a skanky hooker. You do it because it's cheap and easy, but you desperately feel the need for a shower afterwards.

Oh, my description is basically a 7-11 clone.
Ed_209a
Aztechnology seems to have a lock on consumer goods, so I'd be surprised if the owner trail _didn't_ eventually lead back to AZT.
Jrayjoker
7-11 with gas pumps. And I thought Stuffer Shacks were definitely owned by Aztechnology in canon. I have no sources, but it my be in the Spraw Survival Guide. I have the PDF, I'll check soon and repost.
Jrayjoker
Nope, not in SSG.
stevebugge
QUOTE (Lazarus)
The McHugh's in SR is like McDonalds except it has ungodly security complete with knockout gas and plastic tables that provide no cover. I think it was meant as a joke in SR1.

I know this, we still call them McDonalds in our game because of the confusion with the RL McHugh's restaurants (TS McHugh's and FX McRory's). There are some difficulties with playing SR and actually living in Seattle, most notably that the Game Designers weren't from here and so some of the Seattle Canon material borders on ridiculous to those of us who are from here.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (stevebugge @ Dec 30 2005, 10:36 AM)
There are some difficulties with playing SR and actually living in Seattle, most notably that the Game Designers weren't from here and so some of the Seattle Canon material borders on ridiculous to those of us who are from here.

I run out of Minneapolis/St. Paul when I run a game. Solves a lot of problems...
Mortax
QUOTE (stevebugge)
Somehow or other Starbucks survived in our games too which is just scary in and of itself (does anyone else think they are evil enough to be a subsidiary of Aztechnology?)

LMAO! rotfl.gif

It is the same in our game, starbucks has survived and i think we did a run where we found it to be an Azzy subsidiary.

I always thought of Stuffer Shack as kindof a Biglots store combined with a Sheetz gas station, minus the pumps. Some food to order, convinence store, and random cheap drek laying around.
Mr.Platinum
I just looked at it as a giant convienent store open 24/7.
Calvin Hobbes
Only it's the size of an A&P, allowing for frequent running gunfights in them.
SL James
QUOTE (Jrayjoker @ Dec 30 2005, 09:08 AM)
7-11 with gas pumps. And I thought Stuffer Shacks were definitely owned by Aztechnology in canon. I have no sources, but it my be in the Spraw Survival Guide. I have the PDF, I'll check soon and repost.

Corporate Download

QUOTE (Lazarus)
Of course the layout is sort of messed up for what they sell but in the SR1 and the First Run book they sell everything from food and radon kits to cheap furniture.  So to me it has the feel of an oversized convenience store or a small Wal-mart with one check out.  It’s basically local crappy chain store at its finest.  The perfect place to destroy as a little side thing.

It reminds me of the two closest CVS stores to my old apartment almost exactly to the layout, contents, and complete disregard for ADA (SS aisles are small for trolls, CVS aisles couldn't fit a wheelchair) regs.
emo samurai
I think Stuffer Shack doesn't exist physically, but as a symbol. A symbol of stagnant, chain-store America. One is unable to discern what exactly the store does because the chains have become so interchangeable in their repetition that it does not matter to the shopper anymore which chain he shops at, but whether or not he has shopped in a place he has shopped in a thousand times before, and will shop at a thousand times again out of sheer apathy.

So in other words, I have no idea.
Dog
Okay, so maybe "Stuffer Shack" is a generic street-name for any convenience store or variation thereof? Around here, we call 'em all Kwick-E Marts. The only place to rent Bollywood!
emo samurai
I still think it's an uncharacteristically absurdist fixture; its function and specifications keep changing as a symbolic comment on the nature of large chain stores and corporate consumerist America.
TheNarrator
On a side note, I know people who've worked for Starbucks before, and whatever else you have to say about them (I've no love for them myself), they actually treat their employees quite well. Not very Azzie-like. Of course, there's no telling who might have bought it out by the 2050s, but it might still be around as an A or AA corp, rather than a AAA mega.

As for Stuffer Shack, I always envisioned a convenience store, myself, maybe with a bit more variety in product (but probably many made by susidiaries of Aztechnology, which owns the Stuffer Shack franchise).

But yes, it is also probably supposed to symbolize the death of the small, local, friendly businesses in the wake of megacorp-owned, uncaring, franchises with cheap, crappy products.
emo samurai
I don't drink coffee. What do people hate about Starbucks? And what do you mean "treat their employees well?" Do they pay them a lot?
TheNarrator
They give them benefits, which is to say medical insurance, if they work a mere 23 hours per week. These days, when many corporations are slashing their full-time employees' pensions, offering your part-timers medical is pretty magnanimous. And apparently there's a lot of room for upward mobility, since new stores are constantly opening and thus require new managers, who are apparently recruited from among the baristas.

And I actually haven't had been to a Starbucks since I started drinking coffee regularly, but there's a variety of reasons people don't like them, including an inherent distrust of anything that's deemed a "corporation" and given the near-immunity to legality that label implies. I personally just don't like that there's so frickin' many of the damned things, or that they seem to have been at the forefront of many moronic coffee-related trends ranging from the naming system to the pricing, but I don't really care that much. For other people it's a big deal, but I'm not a big coffee drinker in general, and I already have a regular place to get it when I am.
Kyoto Kid
Yeah,

Stuffer shacks have always made me think of the 7-11 or Plaid Pantry down on the corner. Good place to get your 40 of Spud Beer & a bag of "Soy Rinds".

Now I always thought that Nukit Burger was more the Mc Doanld's of the Shadowrun world (Or quite possibly the White Castle or In & Out Burger).

One chain I brought in to my campaigns was from my days down in New Orleans - Takee Outee. These were hole in the wall shops where you could walk up & get Tempura or Asian BBQ shrimp/chicken on a skewer for a buck (of course that was back just a few years).
Mr.Platinum
Nacho momma's the meal for your runner on the go.
FrostyNSO
There's one of those in Northern California (or Oregon or something). We have a menu from the place!
RunnerPaul
I've got a couple "Nacho Mamas" (slightly different spelling) in my hometown area.
BookWyrm
Stuffer Shacks are the 7-11's of Shadowrun. Many vary in size, layout & stock. Compare a 'typical' 7-11 in a more suburban area to one in a major metropolitan center, where space is at a premium. Even today, sometimes I slip & call a 7-11 a Stuffer Shack.
McHugh's = McDonald's
Isn't there a fast-food rival to McHugh's? Like a Burger King?
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Jan 1 2006, 01:34 AM)
McHugh's = McDonald's
Isn't there a fast-food rival to McHugh's? Like a Burger King?

If I had to guess, I'd say the listing for "Regal Burgers" in the original Seattle Sourcebook counts as a trademark-sanitized version of Burger King. While McHugh's is a prime candidate for being the trademark-sanitized version of McDonalds, there were earlier references to a chain called "The Golden Archers". There's also Nukit Burgers, which while it is a chain, has it's original restaurant in Downtown Seattle at the intersection of 5th Avenue and Lenora St.
PiXeL01
Speaking of Nukit Burger, ever since a GM of mine had us make resistance rolls for not being addicted to the "special" sauce they use it has been a reacorring event in your campaigns. Kinda like MacDonald's, there is something that keep making you come back.
Anyone else do something similar?
RunnerPaul
As long as it isn't AmberGel, you should be ok.
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
QUOTE (stevebugge @ Dec 30 2005, 10:36 AM)
There are some difficulties with playing SR and actually living in Seattle, most notably that the Game Designers weren't from here and so some of the Seattle Canon material borders on ridiculous to those of us who are from here.

I run out of Minneapolis/St. Paul when I run a game. Solves a lot of problems...

for realz? I'm in Saint Cloud... ever do a run on the metrodome?
stevebugge
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
Downtown Seattle at the intersection of 5th Avenue and Lenora St.

Plausible. Today there is a parking lot, a Sushi Joint, a King's Inn (cheap motel), and a nicer Hotel (that is clockwise from the Northwest Corner). For Reference the Monorail Track runs over 5th Avenue.
mmu1
All this talk about fast food reminds me of our group's trip to LA, and our encounter with the Turducken franchise.

We don't know the area, want to grab a bite, and feel like non-soy meat. So we come across this place claiming to serve real Turkey, Duck and Chicken, and figure, what the hell, we'll give it a try...

Inside, we're a little thrown off by the enormous female troll running the place (who, to my dwarven sam's barely concealed horror, acts flirtatious - I'm not sure to this day whether she did it to have a lilttle fun with the out of towner, or seriously...), and the surprisingly low prices, but we're tired, so we stick with it.

We attempt to order, and it comes out that the specialty of the place is turkey-stuffed-with-duck-stuffed-with-chicken... Our inquiries into where exactly they come by so much poultry are coyly evaded, and attempts on our part to backpedal on the "real meat" idea (done with the usual subtlety of a group of runners who just had a sudden outbreak of paranoia) met with something approaching panic (hard to tell with a troll... is she furious at you, or worried about her job?), so we get a couple of orders, are served nice portions of pretty good looking (and smelling) turkey-duck-chicken-loaf, mashed potatoes and veggies, and also get salads, fries and sodas to alleviate suspicion and round out the order...

Some members of the team are now firmly convinced that Turducken is Made From People! (though the more reasonable idea that they simply make really high-quality fake meat and aren't used to having their workings examined by a group of professional paranoids coming down from a run is floated too), and the dish is carefully inspected. God knows what the poor clerk is thinking, as we sit there, whispering words like "vehicle sensors" and "gas spectrometer", and using microscopic vision to examine the Turducken's cross-section...

We finally eat it after my dwarven sam feels sorry for the clerk (who is by this point wringing her hands and looking near to tears - and not very Sweeney Todd like), and figures it can't be so bad as to be a match for a dwarven constitution, and takes a bite - which turns out to be surprisingly good, but doesn't quite answer the lingering questions... We leave LA, somewhat relieved they don't have franchises in Chicago.
The Stainless Steel Rat
Not a football fan?

John Madden makes a Turducken every Thanksgiving, and as far as I know he is the originator.

I've never had one, but it sure looks good.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (mmu1)
All this talk about fast food reminds me of our group's trip to LA, and our encounter with the Turducken franchise.

We don't know the area, want to grab a bite, and feel like non-soy meat. So we come across this place claiming to serve real Turkey, Duck and Chicken, and figure, what the hell, we'll give it a try...

Inside, we're a little thrown off by the enormous female troll running the place (who, to my dwarven sam's barely concealed horror, acts flirtatious - I'm not sure to this day whether she did it to have a lilttle fun with the out of towner, or seriously...), and the surprisingly low prices, but we're tired, so we stick with it.

We attempt to order, and it comes out that the specialty of the place is turkey-stuffed-with-duck-stuffed-with-chicken... Our inquiries into where exactly they come by so much poultry are coyly evaded, and attempts on our part to backpedal on the "real meat" idea (done with the usual subtlety of a group of runners who just had a sudden outbreak of paranoia) met with something approaching panic (hard to tell with a troll... is she furious at you, or worried about her job?), so we get a couple of orders, are served nice portions of pretty good looking (and smelling) turkey-duck-chicken-loaf, mashed potatoes and veggies, and also get salads, fries and sodas to alleviate suspicion and round out the order...

Some members of the team are now firmly convinced that Turducken is Made From People! (though the more reasonable idea that they simply make really high-quality fake meat and aren't used to having their workings examined by a group of professional paranoids coming down from a run is floated too), and the dish is carefully inspected. God knows what the poor clerk is thinking, as we sit there, whispering words like "vehicle sensors" and "gas spectrometer", and using microscopic vision to examine the Turducken's cross-section...

We finally eat it after my dwarven sam feels sorry for the clerk (who is by this point wringing her hands and looking near to tears - and not very Sweeney Todd like), and figures it can't be so bad as to be a match for a dwarven constitution, and takes a bite - which turns out to be surprisingly good, but doesn't quite answer the lingering questions... We leave LA, somewhat relieved they don't have franchises in Chicago.

Wait, what's the problem now? It may be people? I have a hard time believing that silly anti-canabalism social taboos would remain in SR, considering how many people survive on a diet of people. You go over to your ghoul friends' house for and you eat what they are serving, simple as that.
PBTHHHHT
One a side note, they sell Turducken on the internet.

wikipedia source on Turducken
Though, I would NOT be surprised if it was made during the middle ages, some variation of it. They were known to have made layered meat dishes, especially for banquets.

Though, from the guiness book of world records I had as a kid, there was a dish on the records made for a banquet of some wealthy middle eastern royalty that was comprised of a camel stuffed with a sheep stuffed with a something else, and it went down to duck, chicken, something smaller, and it rounded out with an egg. That was a weird dish.
mmu1
QUOTE (The Stainless Steel Rat)
Not a football fan?

John Madden makes a Turducken every Thanksgiving, and as far as I know he is the originator.

I've never had one, but it sure looks good.

Well, our 2055 characters certainly didn't know much about John Madden - or any kind of complex real-meat dish.

And it all looks different when you're tired, jumpy, and being served by a 10' troll with a carving knife. nyahnyah.gif
RunnerPaul
And according to Wiki, Madden did not originate Turducken. Take that for what you will.

What interests me about the wiki article is the two variants mentioned, one where you wrap a Turduken in ostrich, and the other where you stuff a Turducken with a cornish game hen, which is then stuffed with a pheasant, and finally stuffed with a quail. Why no one's tried to combine the two concepts into an Osturduckencorpheail, I don't know. Sooner or later though, someone's going to do it.
Moon-Hawk
Well, RunnerPaul, now that you've finally answered the mystery of how it would be spelled, someone can go ahead and do it. biggrin.gif
Lindt
Yeah, I have always seen it as a 7-11 type store. Plus the fact that i have oodles of plans for those simple convience stores helps...
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
One a side note, they sell Turducken on the internet.

wikipedia source on Turducken
Though, I would NOT be surprised if it was made during the middle ages, some variation of it. They were known to have made layered meat dishes, especially for banquets.

Though, from the guiness book of world records I had as a kid, there was a dish on the records made for a banquet of some wealthy middle eastern royalty that was comprised of a camel stuffed with a sheep stuffed with a something else, and it went down to duck, chicken, something smaller, and it rounded out with an egg. That was a weird dish.

I found a reference:
Stuffed Camel
PBTHHHHT
sweet, my memory was correct and I did read something in the guiness book of world records regarding a stuffed camel. lol.

However, eating camel flesh is not unknown especially in bedouin life.
see here and here.

I think that it is within the realm of possibility that they've tried it. Didn't say they did or not, but definitely within the realm of being possible.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012