Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hacking your time signature.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
emo samurai
Has anyone done it? And how the hell did you do it?
RunnerPaul
In the sourcebooks, there have been a few shadowtalk posters who were able to post under a null timestamp (The Big D, and a few others whos names are escaping me at the moment.) I think someone in London Sourcebook made a post with a timestamp that had been rolled back to well before the post he was replying to. However, the undisputed #1 in timestamp hacks would be The Laughing Man, who hacked his timestamp to read "Strikes again!/Ha-Ha-Ha"

There's been nothing presented in the Rules As Written on altering Timestamps, but I belive there was a set of SR2-SR3 houserules for it in one of the old Plastic Warriors netbooks.
Fix-it
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
In the sourcebooks, there have been a few shadowtalk posters who were able to post under a null timestamp (The Big D, and a few others whos names are escaping me at the moment.) I think someone in London Sourcebook made a post with a timestamp that had been rolled back to well before the post he was replying to. However, the undisputed #1 in timestamp hacks would be The Laughing Man, who hacked his timestamp to read "Strikes again!/Ha-Ha-Ha"

that was the Smiling Bandit, not the Laughing Man.
RunnerPaul
Argh. That's what I get for posting just after waking up.
emo samurai
I mean on these forums.

And the Big D was a good enough decker for that? How does he do it? Does he possess a human decker or does he have gigantic electrodes?
Adarael
He has a human decker that he dictates to.
emo samurai
Has his decker ever been identified?
Ancient History
Jane-in-the-Box.

Dunkie also possessed deckers, experimented with dragon 'trodes and other weird drek.
Fix-it
QUOTE (emo samurai)

I mean on these forums.

No. You can't.

the PHP/web server gets a direct timestamp from the server clock when it recieves your post. So you'd have to spoof your way into the server as an admin, then fark with the code to allow alphanumeric changes to timestamps, and change your post. All for one line of text, and a bannination.

I can think of easier ways to waste my time.
Mr.Platinum
QUOTE (Fix-it)
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Jan 1 2006, 12:07 AM)

I mean on these forums.

No. You can't.

the PHP/web server gets a direct timestamp from the server clock when it recieves your post. So you'd have to spoof your way into the server as an admin, then fark with the code to allow alphanumeric changes to timestamps, and change your post. All for one line of text, and a bannination.

Man i have better things to do like....watching grass grow.
nick012000
QUOTE (Fix-it @ Dec 31 2005, 09:30 PM)

I mean on these forums.

No. You can't.

I think he meant in SR, not RL.

Though seeing someone on this board farking with the code for their timestamp to be "Strikes Again!, Ha ha ha" would be funny.

On a slight tangent, on another board I'm on, one poster hacked the board to give himself a postcount of over a million. Granted, this is a board where postcounts in the thousands are fairly common, so...
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (nick012000)
QUOTE (Fix-it @ Dec 31 2005, 09:30 PM)

I mean on these forums.

No. You can't.

I think he meant in SR, not RL.

Though seeing someone on this board farking with the code for their timestamp to be "Strikes Again!, Ha ha ha" would be funny.

On a slight tangent, on another board I'm on, one poster hacked the board to give himself a postcount of over a million. Granted, this is a board where postcounts in the thousands are fairly common, so...

QUOTE (emo samurai @ Strikes again!/ha-ha-ha)

I mean on these forums.

No, he meant on these forums.
RunnerPaul
Every so often, the system clock goes crazy all by itself. While this leads to odd timestamps, it's not the work of the person making the post, so it doesn't count.
emo samurai
How did you get it to display Strikes-Again/Ha-Ha-Ha on the quote? I can't even get it to display the time signature to begin with.
Backgammon
You mean on the quote?

I'm not even gonna answer that. Go to bed.
emo samurai
Come oooooooooonnnnnnnnnn......
hyzmarca
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Strikes Again! Ha ha ha)
Come oooooooooonnnnnnnnnn......

You mean like that?
nick012000
[QUOTE=emo samurai,Strikes again!/ha-ha-ha]
I mean on these forums.
[/QUOTE]

Like that.
tisoz
One way to try to figure out how someone accomplished something in their post is to use the Quote button for the post that interests you. Many times the coding gets displayed.
emo samurai
QUOTE ( Emo Samurai Strikes Again/hahaha)
Like this? Oh yeah, like this.

This isn't hacking! It isn't cool at all!
BishopMcQ
Emo--That's about the best you're going to get unless you want to be banned from the board. If you try and hack Dumpshock, the Sys-Op team is going to take it quite seriously. Beyond the Admins, most of the DSF community is going to be upset.

Hacking systems generally causes server-side problems and we've all gone through our fair share of server outages. If the blame can be laid at one specific individuals feet, especially if he was doing it just for kicks, the community will probably be less than pleased with you.
emo samurai
(Hangs head down) Okaaaaaaayyyyy......
Critias
What an interesting and informative thread.
emo samurai
It IS!!!!!!
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (McQuillan)
Emo--That's about the best you're going to get unless you want to be banned from the board. If you try and hack Dumpshock, the Sys-Op team is going to take it quite seriously. Beyond the Admins, most of the DSF community is going to be upset.

Hacking systems generally causes server-side problems and we've all gone through our fair share of server outages. If the blame can be laid at one specific individuals feet, especially if he was doing it just for kicks, the community will probably be less than pleased with you.

if they did it without malicious intent, and without hurting anything else (heavy ifs) I for one would find it funny.

... for what it's worth.

... not that it's worth anything.
Tanka
QUOTE (Critias)
What an interesting and informative thread.

Innit, though?
nick012000
QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman)
QUOTE (McQuillan @ Jan 1 2006, 08:38 PM)
Emo--That's about the best you're going to get unless you want to be banned from the board.  If you try and hack Dumpshock, the Sys-Op team is going to take it quite seriously.  Beyond the Admins, most of the DSF community is going to be upset. 

Hacking systems generally causes server-side problems and we've all gone through our fair share of server outages.  If the blame can be laid at one specific individuals feet, especially if he was doing it just for kicks, the community will probably be less than pleased with you.

if they did it without malicious intent, and without hurting anything else (heavy ifs) I for one would find it funny.

... for what it's worth.

Well, all you'd need to do to change it would take the code for displaying the timestamp above people's posts, and change it to something like
CODE

IF username="whatever" THEN display("your string here")
ELSE [normal timestamp code]

That was in pseudocode, in case anyone can't tell.
Tanka
QUOTE (nick012000)
QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman @ Jan 2 2006, 02:59 AM)
Emo--That's about the best you're going to get unless you want to be banned from the board.  If you try and hack Dumpshock, the Sys-Op team is going to take it quite seriously.  Beyond the Admins, most of the DSF community is going to be upset. 

Hacking systems generally causes server-side problems and we've all gone through our fair share of server outages.  If the blame can be laid at one specific individuals feet, especially if he was doing it just for kicks, the community will probably be less than pleased with you.

... for what it's worth.

Well, all you'd need to do to change it would take the code for displaying the timestamp above people's posts, and change it to something like
CODE

Go ahead, crack Neuron's or Bull's sysadmin pass for the SQL database. I bet they'd find that real funny and pat you on the back.

Or maybe just issue a ban and change their password, then change all the errant code back to normal.

It is NEVER a good idea to hack/crack somebody's database, especially when it's free and the people running it are knowledgable about such things.

And also; IT'S ILLEGAL.
nick012000
Hey, I never said I would try.

I just said that I had a general idea for how to hack your timestamp should you manage to get into the code.

And you wouldn't be hacking the database, you'd be hacking wherever they keep the PHP files. wink.gif
Mr.Platinum
Entering the data base just to change the time code, well i guess every one needs hobbies.
emo samurai
It would be roleplaying.
Tanka
QUOTE (nick012000)
Hey, I never said I would try.

I just said that I had a general idea for how to hack your timestamp should you manage to get into the code.

And you wouldn't be hacking the database, you'd be hacking wherever they keep the PHP files. wink.gif

No, the time that the post was posted has a timestamp in the SQL database. You'd have to hack that post and change how the timestamp was displayed (which means changing the vartypes around).

QUOTE (emo samurai)
It would be roleplaying.

No, it would be stupid.
Herald of Verjigorm
Well, it does depend on whether you want to change the data in the database (which will likely cause an amazing number of crashes due to incompatible data types) or just toss an additional if statement in the display code.
Tanka
True, however it is highly unlikely to get that display code to display properly the first time, adding to the risk of massive databse crashing.

So, all in all a very stupid and wasteful idea.
Adam
QUOTE (emo samurai)
It would be roleplaying.

Roleplaying is when you pretend to commit crimes.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Adam)
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Jan 2 2006, 10:27 AM)
It would be roleplaying.

Roleplaying is when you pretend to commit crimes.

Adam, you are my hero. And so totally right it makes me shiver.
Mr.Platinum
QUOTE (emo samurai)
It would be roleplaying.

that or crack.
Bullet Raven
This is the single most ridiculous thread I have ever seen.

biggrin.gif
Critias
QUOTE (Bullet Raven)

biggrin.gif

Let's not be hasty. A quick "find all threads by this user" can find you several other, different, ridiculous ones.
hyzmarca
Since CC never banned Dunkie or Harlie, I suggest you go for it if you happen to be a 99th grade initiate immortal elf or the most powerful great dragon alive.
Tanka
Careful. He may have delusions of grandeur. Don't be giving him any ideas.
Bullet Raven
QUOTE (Critias)
QUOTE (Bullet Raven @ Jan 2 2006, 03:34 PM)

biggrin.gif

Let's not be hasty. A quick "find all threads by this user" can find you several other, different, ridiculous ones.

Lol man, harsh.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Bullet Raven)

The Drop Bear thread feels insulted now.
Bullet Raven
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)

I stayed away from that thread out of wide-eyed fear and for no real reason, I just never bothered to read it.

spin.gif
Darkness
It is very interesting to read. ^^
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Bullet Raven)
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Jan 2 2006, 10:47 PM)

I stayed away from that thread out of wide-eyed fear and for no real reason, I just never bothered to read it.

spin.gif

There is nothing to fear. Come read the 1300 posts of glory.
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (nick012000)
QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman @ Jan 2 2006, 02:59 AM)

... for what it's worth.

CODE

nick012000 is using the SCIENCE!!!!!!1111one one

cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif

QUOTE (tanka)
risk of massive databse crashing.

a Very Bad Thing, no?

frown.gif

QUOTE (tanka)
Careful.  He may have delusions of grandeur.  Don't be giving him any ideas.
better than the diagnosis they gave me. frown.gif do you know how hard it is to suffer from delusions of adaquacy?

Ophis
Actually just a thought...

Maybe the sys ops could charge for the ability to select your time stamp. Good way to raise a bit of cash for board up keep.

Just a suggestion.

And there is nothing ridiculous about the drop bear thread it is a work of divine eucalyptus laced inspiration.
Tanka
Shansu: Yes, a Very Very Bad Thing ™.

Ophis: Ew. Bad idea. They did a fund raiser and offered custom titles (see?), and Neuron said he'd shut down before doing another fundraiser. Or at least vehemently said he'd never do one again.

Either way. Ew. Custom timestamps are a bad idea.
nezumi
QUOTE (Ophis)
Maybe the sys ops could charge for the ability to select your time stamp. Good way to raise a bit of cash for board up keep.

I don't know if you use 'view new posts' often, but you ever notice those twelve or so posts that you've already read, but always come up as having new posts? The ones we will continue to see until November of 2009?

Yeah, imagine pages and pages filled with threads just like that, marked for 2060 or whatever people come up with.

I suppose you could backdate them, but then they wouldn't come up as new posts and I'm guessing they'd play nasty tricks on the search engine

Fooling with the time stamps is a very, very bad idea.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012