Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Military Forces of the World
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
I wanted to compile a list of forces of Countries, and Corporation. Basicly that are Canon to Shadowrun.

CAS SEALs [Cyberpirates 9]

Aztlan Jaguar Guards [Cyberpirates 9]

UCAS Navy SEALs [Cyberpirates 171]
-commissioned Colt M24A3 Water Carbine

Tir Tairngire Peace Force [Tir Tairngire]
-High Proportion of Awakened
-Paranatural Critters assist

Tir Tairngire Ghosts [Tir Tairngire]
-High Proportion of Awakened
-Paranatural assist

On a side note what do you call a person for the Tir or the Ti'r. I mean you call someone for Russia, Russian. You call someone form America an American, someone for India as Indian. You call someone from France, the French.

2:52:16
Try doing that as a blunt that's unaugmented and not hyped on anything.
Req
QUOTE (252)
On a side note what do you call a person for the Tir or the Ti'r.  I mean you call someone for Russia, Russian.  You call someone form America an American,  someone for India as Indian.  You call someone from France, the French.

A daisy-eater? smile.gif

in regards to original post, don't forget the Sioux Wildcats, Renraku Red Samurai, Tir Paladins... I guess the artist formerly known as Russia still has the Spetznaz...
sir fwank
you should check corporate shadowfiles or corporate download for corporate armies/etc.

ares and fuchi(RIP) had like a battalion or something.
Rock-Steady
Stats for Renraku Samurai are in "First Run" and Tir Ghosts are in "Corporate Punishment".

If' that what you mean with "compile". beret.gif

[edit]

2nd Edition Stats are in the "Aztlan Sourcebook".
EVLTIM
Japan= Imperial Marines.
Australia = ASU I think.
I know they mention German in the source book , but I can't remeber it off the top of my head .
Kanada Ten
On a side note what do you call a person for the Tir or the Ti'r.

Tiran. What do you call one from the UCAS? The CAS would fight hard for the American title internationally, IMO, and would likely get it as all the Canadians would fuss to be called such. Inside the UCAS you would perhaps refer to one's self as Canadian or American, but internationally I've thought that UCASan (u-CAUSE-n) or Unionist might work. Is there canon?

MVD for Russia (T:SH)

Ares Firewatch

Edited per CD2.0
Large Mike

Cross has the (iirc) Archangels.
FlakJacket
Been mentions of the British Army, Royal Air Force and Royal Navy in the past. Also the obligatory SAS mention for the special forces. smile.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
On a side note what do you call a person for the Tir or the Ti'r.

Tiran. What do you call one from the UCAS? The CAS would fight hard for the American title internationally, IMO, and would likely get it as all the Canadians would fuss to be called such. Inside the UCAS you would perhaps refer to one's self as Canadian or American, but internationally I've thought that UCASan (u-CAUSE-n) our Unionist might work. Is there canon?

MVP for Russia (T:SH)

Ares Firewatch

UCASer. The ones from the lower 24 call themselves Americans.

MVD.

Firewatch is part of Knight Errant. Just nitpicking.

QUOTE (Large Mike @ Oct 2 2003, 05:02 PM)
Cross has the (iirc) Archangels.

Seraphim.

QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Been mentions of the British Army, Royal Air Force and Royal Navy in the past. Also the obligatory SAS mention for the special forces. smile.gif

Actually, a shadow comment in Target: Matrix was by a former SAS man named World War Terminus. WWT is a motherf-ing badass.

There used to be a Shadowrun Military Site. I assume somewhere someone still has something from it.
Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate
Special forces are scary. Aren't the Wildcats reputed to be just about the best of the best?
Connor
http://www.geocities.com/flanker562/

Is that the Military site you were referring to Crimsondude? It seems pretty comprehensive on an initial glance.
Rain
Over half of the SR Military Site's original content (including nearly everything I wrote) is now gone. The site isn't really maintained anymore, either.

BTW, the Paladins of Tir Tairngire are not military. There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding the Paladins, so allow me to clear some of that up. The term "Paladin" actually refers to two completely separate and distinct groups of people. The first, and most common, are the boys and girls annointed by Ehran the Scribe and other Tir nobles. These Paladins are just a bunch of kids running around playing at being badasses, and trying to win favor with the nobles by doing a lot of their dirty work for them. It is inglorious work, and they spend a lot of their time running stupid errands and pretending to be something they're not. The second group of Paladins really are badasses. There are only five of these guys, all of them physical adepts. They are Lugh Surehand's personal bodyguards and assassins, and they are uber. Although neither of these groups are technically a part of the Tir Tairngire Peace Force, the latter are probably all former Ghosts.

Finally, you might want to include the Salish-Shidhe Rangers. While not technically a special forces unit, they could probably be considered to be special operations capable.
2Claws
Don't forget the Green Serpent Guard (GSG) of the Nagato Corporation. They are all elven physads, with a mage or two thrown in for variety.
Crimsondude 2.0
Yes.

Yes, it sucks that it's a shell of its former self.

Kanada Ten
Pueblo Security Forces - pg 24 of T:WL
* Best air force next to Aztlan and UCAS - SoNA

Russia
*MVD's Vnutrennie Voiska (Interior Army)
*Red Army (seriously, capatalized in T:SH)
*UGB (Border Guards)
*Pacific Fleet (Naval Infantry Force)

Japan
*Imperial Japanese Navy
*Imperial Japanese Marines

MCT has jet fighters in YotC

UCAS, CAS, Great Britian also all have Marines

Korea
*Eastern Tiger Corp.
Crimsondude 2.0
Aztechnology has a Aircraft Carrier (Tezcatlipoca) in the original Seattle SB. So did, MCT (Izagami). Seattle (Everett Naval Yards) is the home port of the USS Koontz carrier battle group.

Cyberpirates! has stats for the CAS Defiant-class corvette, and (for some strange reason) Imperial Japanese Aircraft Carriers (and the names of all 10), and the UCAS's New Hampshire-class SSNs (and reference to older classes like Seawolf II).

Aztlan has a pretty good description of the corporate military forces circa 2047 (Operation: Reciprocity) including a great deal of late 20th/ early 21st century military aircraft and fighter(/bomber?) drones. Yama's navy was mentioned in there, too.

Missions's SpecFor mission mentioned the UCAS Rangers, and the PCs were Special Forces. The SRC also describes a 1st SFOD-Delta team (although it's actually the organization of a Special Forces "A-Team").

Bug City described the UCAS Wolverine-class light aircraft carrier that was parked off the city in Lake Michigan. They also described the Illinois National Guard and had stats for UCAS Army personnel. The best stats to use for Army soldiers now are in RA:S (or is it Brainscan. I can't remember).

Threats mentioned a UCAS WMD-hunting unit called the Special Assets Division.

The novel (just to be completely thorough, and this in no way actually lends credence to said novel) Just Compensation features the UCAS Special Resources Division, Fort Schwartzkopf, Army Thaumaturgical Corps, CAS Marine Corps Ferrets (Force Recon), and the 3rd Infantry Division from Ft. Myers, UCAS tanks, and miscellaneous other things.

POAD: DS also refers to the Army Thaumaturgical Corps.
Nagato Corporation, Green Serpent Guard....

And where were these drekkers mentioned in?

2:52:16
"And no for the last time I was awakened after the event, the emotions caused the rift"-Rohestial Laendros Ehraun
White Knight
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Inside the UCAS you would perhaps refer to one's self as Canadian or American, but internationally I've thought that UCASan (u-CAUSE-n) or Unionist might work. Is there canon?

In the novel House of the Sun Dirk Montgommery does refer to his nationality as "UCASan".
Swansonegger
<sigh> Reading over this, I noticed that all of the UCAS military is American. What ever happened to the Canadian units and groupings that have a rich and distinguished history? Sure, we're not that militant of a nation, but we do have a fairly separate military culture (like most of our troops are lifers, not youthful short timers).

Sorry to get off topic. But if the UCAS military is to be fleshed out, it would be really cool if it wasn't done just by Americans, with only the American viewpoint. I think people forget the C in UCAS half the time.
You are obsolutely correct. I think WE should gripe about this for a little while and see if a few FanPro authorities might pick up and add them to a source book or two.
Kanada Ten
Well... It is submission driven.

With the Flashpoint: Pacific Northwest book coming up sometime, perhaps a list of Canadian forces and speculation to their dissemination (which would go mercenary, American, Qubecian, or stood alone in the UCAS).

Since the CAS got much of the Naval forces, perhaps the Canadian Fleet structure is the dominate?
Nath
QUOTE (Rain)
BTW, the Paladins of Tir Tairngire are not military. There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding the Paladins, so allow me to clear some of that up. The term "Paladin" actually refers to two completely separate and distinct groups of people. The first, and most common, are the boys and girls annointed by Ehran the Scribe and other Tir nobles. These Paladins are just a bunch of kids running around playing at being badasses, and trying to win favor with the nobles by doing a lot of their dirty work for them. It is inglorious work, and they spend a lot of their time running stupid errands and pretending to be something they're not. The second group of Paladins really are badasses. There are only five of these guys, all of them physical adepts. They are Lugh Surehand's personal bodyguards and assassins, and they are uber. Although neither of these groups are technically a part of the Tir Tairngire Peace Force, the latter are probably all former Ghosts

Well, there is still confusion here. According to SoNA page 150, first there are more than just two groups of Paladins. There are even independent Paladin. It's a social title.

Then the Spirit Warriors/Meraerth ke'Tolo, nicknamed "Ghosts", the Special Force units of the Peace Force's military division, are 'paladins' because they all swore loyalty to the head of state, Surehand (basically, any oath makes a paladin). There are two groups inside those ghosts. The Black Banner/Bratach Falan (200 soldiers, 80% awakened) are 'standard' special forces with military missions. The White Banner/Bratach Gheal (<20 soldiers) are the High Prince bodyguards,wearing with armors and swords. And some of the White Banner, called "Black Daggers" are detached on special duties, assassinations and similar stuff. But all of those are paladins and members of the Peace Force.

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Since the CAS got much of the Naval forces, perhaps the Canadian Fleet structure is the dominate?

*look at the map* And which naval bases did Canada bring ? biggrin.gif

The topic of the US Navy split is a bit blurred. According to the map, the CAS get Norfolk but according to SoNA, they 'only' have two 50,000-tons air carriers based in Charleston and Mobile (back in NAGNA in 2054, there was only one carrier, the Atlanta). Has the secession involved the demilitarization of Norfolk ? Still according to SoNA, the CAS Navy is supposed to be mostly a "brown-water navy" with two air carriers and the strongest submarine force in the world... Maybe that just mean the CAS Navy has the big guns to do more but limits his policy to the control of brown-water (ie the Gulf of Mexico/Aztlan). While I'm here the OB for the rest of the CAs Armed Forces (SoNA page 67) gives 6 active Army divisions, 2 Marine expeditionary forces and 16 air combat squadrons, making the largest force in North America (and the Texas National Guard must be a nice and quet force too).

Concerning corporate troops, Corporate Shadowfiles was saying Aztechnology had no military forces, borrowing even its Desert War team to the Aztlan government. In Corporate Download, the Aztechnology Corporate Security numbers 140,000, in theory mostly for security, not military operations. But Year of the Comet mentions ACS troops fighting in Yucatan. For another number, CD says there are 400, a battalion of Jaguar Guards.

About Ares, YotC speaks of 2,500 Ares troops deployed in California, including a Signals Intelligence & Recon Battalion of 500 mens, plus two armor and two mechanized battalions. It is described as "very large for a corporate military presence" and made of Knight Errant "security personel" equipped with stuff from Ares Arms armories. According to the Shadowfiles, Ares Arms controls Ares military capacities, while YotC refers to the "Knight Errant Signals Intelligence and Recon Battalion" mentionned above. The Download limlits KE military operations available to customers to special operations, infiltrations, counter-insurgency and warfare instruction.

BTW I have seen a reference somewhere simply to the "Canadian-American" (makes sense when you think about it, no ?.
Rain
QUOTE (Nath)

Well, there is still confusion here. According to SoNA page 150, first there are more than just two groups of Paladins. There are even independent Paladin. It's a social title.

Then the Spirit Warriors/Meraerth ke'Tolo, nicknamed "Ghosts", the Special Force units of the Peace Force's military division, are 'paladins' because they all swore loyalty to the head of state, Surehand (basically, any oath makes a paladin). There are two groups inside those ghosts. The Black Banner/Bratach Falan (200 soldiers, 80% awakened) are 'standard' special forces with military missions. The White Banner/Bratach Gheal (<20 soldiers) are the High Prince bodyguards,wearing  with armors and swords. And some of the White Banner, called "Black Daggers" are detached on special duties, assassinations and similar stuff. But all of those are paladins and members of the Peace Force.

Sigh. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I don't have Shadows of North America. Hell, I've never even seen a copy of it. But I know what it says about the Tir. Or at least I can guess.

So, since I'm the guy who wrote that stuff originally, I'm going to go ahead and call bullshit. I take my information from the original TT sourcebook, add a little common sense, and stir. Although it might be technically accurate to call the Ghosts "paladins", they are not Paladins in the originally intended meaning of the word, per the TT sourcebook. And, since it appears that whomever wrote this (I'm guessing it was Tzeentch) obviously borrowed a lot of their material from me, I have no problem calling it into question.
Kanada Ten
Kami No Bushi (The Spirit Company) - Shiawise Special Forces

Black Omega (Mages), Black Alpha (Awakened), Black Nova (Shamans), Schroedinger's Cats (Deckers) - Novatech black ops

Yamatetsu Naval Technologies (no military per se, but they will/do have SEAL type unit).

NMAth 
BTW I have seen a reference somewhere simply to the "Canadian-American" (makes sense when you think about it, no?

Sure, for text documents and official information, but really? Do you see some midwest hick saying, "I'm a Canadian-American?" Camerican, UCASer (you' - cause - err), UCASan, something short and bastardized.
Connor
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Sure, for text documents and official information, but really? Do you see some midwest hick saying, "I'm a Canadian-American?" Camerican, UCASer (you' - cause - err), UCASan, something short and bastardized.

Sure, I can see it for people of a 'younger' generation. I think the older folks who were around for it all will probalby stick to the old names, but as younger people come up and get indoctrinated with the 'textbook' names as they go through school they'll adopt them into common usage regardless of them being from the sprawl or some hick in the midwest.
Tadite
My personal opinion based upon the few stats that we have as well as the fluff I would have to say that for the special forces I would have to rank them as such:

Only the Americas:

1. UCAS Navy SEALs: Best of the best and I don't expect that to change. Best mixe of tech and magic in my opinion. Not dependent on either.

2. Tir Tairngire Ghosts: Best magic equpment in the game. I would have also added the Paladians but they seem to have a higher degree of variance. Maybe overly dependent on magic. Still has good training and tech though.

3. CAS Marine Recon: the CAS as a whole may not have as good equpment as most of the other nations but they still have the talent and the training to play with most people. Less magic though...

4. Aztlan Jaguar Guards: Seems to be just to common to be a real elite group. Lots of magic though and more then enough to take most shadowruners.

5. Souix Warriors: Lots and lots of magic and talent. Think they are a little to dependent on adepts and spirits though in my mind. Tech could be a weakness.

Crimsondude 2.0
In a country where so many people identify themselves by their state or city of origin first, what difference does it make? Whatever it is, it's going to be callow and a pathetic term for a broken and pathetic country. UCASer/an? That just sounds pathetic. Canadian, American, New Yorker, Hoosier, Bostonian. It's all slang anyway. UCASan sounds like an English version of estadounidense. How about that? If you look at population projections, it's more likely to become a part of the English language than any of these other terms.

Canadian-American sounds so PC it's disgusting.

There are like 400 Jaguar Guards. Last time I checked (which was about four years ago), Delta was about the same size and no one has ever said they're lacking for eliteness. I imagine that they are insanely selective given their stated functions inside Aztlan.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012