Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SURGE
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
stevebugge
OK, I apologize now if this has already been run to death, but I missed it if it was.

SURGE as described in Year of the Comet, could it also be caused by a sufficiently high background count? I don't think there is any Canon on this so I'm curious what people have done in their games?
Moon-Hawk
Sure, why the hell not? If it furthers the story, go for it.
Funky magic or strange goings-on in astral space trigger latent meta-genes and wackiness ensues. I like it!
Many a story has been based on far flimsier justification than this, my friend.

I can't think of any reason why this sort of thing would be inconsistent with the established canon of SR's metagenes or magic/physics.
mfb
well, put it this way--it's never happened before.
Ancient History
Sure it has. Spike babies could be considered early SURGE. Not to mention the triggered SURGE cases in the Ganges.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Sure it has. Spike babies could be considered early SURGE. Not to mention the triggered SURGE cases in the Ganges.

Yeah, read Shadows of Asia, regarding the Ganges River in India, if you're wondering what Ancient is talking about.
SL James
Wouldn't Goblinization be the precursor to SURGE, since elves and dwarves don't manifest changes in their genetic expression after birth like trogs and changelings did (do)?
Ancient History
Yes, Goblinization could also be considered a SURGE phenomenon. The Spike Baby factor is just pointing out that metagenetic changes can be triggered by power sites or local mana surges.
stevebugge
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 3 2006, 05:21 PM)

Yeah, read Shadows of Asia, regarding the Ganges River in India, if you're wondering what Ancient is talking about.

That was actually part of where I got the idea, though I was thinking more effectually along the lines of the YOTC random effects. For my game a Rating 5 or more power site would be required. If it is strongly aspected then certain manifestations may be more appropriate than others. Basically I want to have that extra creepy factor out there for players to worry about. I also was probably only going to check once per character in the character lifespan, but I might do it everytime a char bumps in to a realy high count (after all who knows what it takes to set off a metagene it may be more than just ambient mana level)
mfb
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Spike babies could be considered early SURGE.

or it could be another phenomenon entirely. the forces that cause both SURGE and spike babies are unknown, so it'd be hard to prove that the same force is behind both.
Ancient History
Of course.
SL James
OOOH... Right. Duh.
Mr.Platinum
I could'nt find a copy of Shadows of Asia. it seems like all of hamilton is sold out.
PlatonicPimp
Then there are metavariants to throw into that mix. Though I think it cleans things up nicely if we call metavarients to be early cases of localized SURGE and be done with it.

BTW, when SURGE first appeared in shadowrun, was anyone else drinking the coca-cola product of the same name?
Critias
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
BTW, when SURGE first appeared in shadowrun, was anyone else drinking the coca-cola product of the same name?

Maybe not, but I'd bet $20 the developers responsible were drinking something at the time.
stevebugge
QUOTE (Critias)
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp @ Jan 4 2006, 02:05 PM)

Maybe not, but I'd bet $20 the developers responsible were drinking something at the time.

Absinth maybe
Dissonance
Heeeey, I remember those ads.

A can of SURGE sits atop a couch in a junkyard at high noon. There is a crowd of very thirsty looking teenagers at the bottom of a massive pile of surprisingly clean furniture. It is silent. And from nowhere...

"Suuuuuuuuuurge!" And then they go at it like it's the damn Agro Crag from Nickelodeon Guts.

As for SURGE the thing, I always thought it was caused by living too close to the power lines. Maybe something in the water. Possibly a bad batch of Nerps. Inbreeding? Ninjas. Yeah. That's it. Ninjas.
Lindt
Inbreeding ninjas.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012