Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spell Defense
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Grimtooth
I have a sorcery adept in an SR3 game who has Sorcery(spellcasting) 5/7.

My questions are:

1. how many individuals can i cover? 5 or 7?
2. Can 1 of thise individuals be the car i'm riding in? I know the individuals have to be in LOS.

Thanks
Aku
on 1) The maximum would be 5, unless said character is also specialized in spell defense.

number 2, You can protect a vehicle with spell defense. See page 150 of SR3 for details.
Grimtooth
that was what i thought

Thanks for the clarification
Aku
Just remember, that if the caster can see theough the windows, he can use an AoE spell, and still turnt he occupants into chunky salsa
Grimtooth
tinted window in the back

but i would still be able to defend with defense dice anyone i can see.

Mr.Platinum
oh and heres a clasiic question since it will be most likley asked.

What about cyber eyes Jim?

Well the classic mag eyes will work but the digital one won't.

Accually I do have a serious question since i'm on topic of cyber.

Will ultra sound work?

I think it won't cause there is a structure in the way " for example a wall" but then using ultra sound is a line of sight though.

I'm confusing myself.

but do you folks agree or disagree
Nyxll
QUOTE (Mr.Platinum @ Jan 11 2006, 03:21 PM)
oh and heres a clasiic question since it will be most likley asked.

What about cyber eyes Jim?

Well the classic mag eyes will work but the digital one won't.

Accually I do have a serious question since i'm on topic of cyber.

Will ultra sound work?

I think it won't cause there is a structure in the way " for example a wall" but then using ultra sound is a line of sight though.

I'm confusing myself.

but do you folks agree or disagree

Cybereyes do not count as an electronic surveillance because the character spent essence on it, so a mage can target with them. (this was before there was a cybereye drone that could roll down the halls but I still think they apply.) You cannot see the "aura" when targeting.

Ultrasound is more a hearing ability than sight.
hyzmarca
Actually, electronic vision magnification won't work because it alters the image before sending it to the brain. Optical vision magnification will work. Electronic vision mag and ultrasound vision are the only vision enhancments that you can't cast through because, in both cases, the image is compiled or altered electronicly.
Magus
I thought it was errated(sp??) that any thing you spent essence on was considered yours so that Mana could be funneled through it. The limitation on Electronic vs Optical was for things outside of your own meat ie binos or Optical Cabling vs closed monitor TV
Mr.Platinum
i don't think so, but i knew the elctric would'nt work and now i know ultra sound won't work either, been part of this discussion a couple of times in the years i have been here, it even says in the core book that the elec mag will not work.
PiXeL01
In SR3 page 300 it says under Vision Magnification:

It comes in electronic and optical versions (The latter is necessary for magicians with cybereyes).

I looked in the Shadowrun FAQ and it doesnt say anything about it being changed, nor in the errata for the book.
Mr.Platinum
just as i thought.
hyzmarca
Cybereyes are considered natural for the purpose of spellcasting. The problem is that electronic vision magnification interupts line-of-sight. You aren't seeing the the target, you are seeing an electronic photograph of the target that has had its resolution lowered to make the target appear bigger.
Nyxll
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Cybereyes are considered natural for the purpose of spellcasting. The problem is that electronic vision magnification interupts line-of-sight. You aren't seeing the the target, you are seeing an electronic photograph of the target that has had its resolution lowered to make the target appear bigger.

by that same definition, thermo and low light would also since they would be interpreted. I was not aware of the sr3 definition which pretty much seals the coffin on electronic mag, but by version 2 SSG it was fine. I am now, not going to argue the "cannoness" of the ruling but I do question the common sense in the rule. I would house rule over it.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Nyxll @ Jan 11 2006, 09:57 PM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jan 11 2006, 05:57 PM)
Cybereyes are considered natural for the purpose of spellcasting. The problem is that electronic vision magnification interupts line-of-sight.  You aren't seeing the the target, you are seeing an electronic photograph of the target that has had its resolution lowered to make the target appear bigger.

by that same definition, thermo and low light would also since they would be interpreted.

Thermo and low-light don't have to be interperated at all. With low-light all you need is an eye structure similar to a cat's. This has already been accomplished with bioware called cat eyes. You could also go with a few extra-sensetive light sensors that can be turned off when they aren't needed. Likewise, with Thermo you only need sensors that respond to infrared light. You can just send the resulting electrical impulses alone the optic nerve and into the brain, letting the grey matter do the actual interpertation.
Similar tricks can be used to produce optical magnification that doesn't look like a pair of beer bottles sticking out of your skull.
Nyxll
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jan 11 2006, 10:18 PM)
Thermo and low-light don't have to be interperated at all.  With low-light all you need is an eye structure similar to a cat's. This has already been accomplished with bioware called cat eyes.  You could also go with a few extra-sensetive light sensors that can be turned off when they aren't needed.  Likewise, with Thermo you only need sensors that respond to infrared light. You can just send  the resulting electrical impulses alone the optic nerve and into the brain, letting the grey matter do the actual interpertation.
Similar tricks can be used to produce optical magnification that doesn't look like a pair of beer bottles sticking out of your skull.

By the same token, you could just have a higher resolution eye. Your eyes adjust for distance and focus already, so I fail to see how additional magnification would be any different. You are still "seeing" the same image, just a little grainy. It is not like you are trying to target someone with an image link. That would not work.

I would surmise that it is like trying to target someone through an blurry image of a telescope.

Edit: I think we should make a new topic.
hyzmarca
That's my point about using similar tricks to produce optical magnification that doesn't give you retractible beer bottle eyes. Does a system justify the greater essence cost of optical mag? That is a question for another topic and another time.
Crusher Bob
I would assume that the optical mag eye system uses a lens of much greater clarity and flexibility than the meat one. The lens of your eyeball Mk 1 can flex slightly, to help you focus on different things, the optical system would flex the lens much more. Of course, you'd still be limited in what you could see by things like the apeture size of your pupil, which means that the eye system will always be inferior to much bigger things. (Unless you don't require your cyber eyes to look human, drilling out the whole eye socket to put in much bigger cyber eyes would allow you to craw a lot more stuff in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012