Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why even get cyberware?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
emo samurai
Bioware is so much cheaper essence-wise even than delta-grade, and it's on average about 5 times as cost-effective nuyen-wise compared to delta grade. Most of the time, its availability isn't even higher.
Liper
money?
Ancient History
Cyberware can do some things bioware cannot.
emo samurai
True. Like store guns in your arms and stuff.
Dale
Agreed.
Plus, Cyberware is shiny and cool. It's also about image.
emo samurai
But bioware is always more efficient magic-point wise than even Adept powers; it's like they're encouraging burnout.
FrankTrollman
Bioware had better be more efficient than getting Adept Powers on a magic-for-magic basis - it has additional costs. It costs Essence and nuyen.gif in addition to just Magic, so if it cost the same or more in Magic it would be an insultingly shitty deal.

-Frank
Glyph
Don't forget that when you calculate Essense loss for bioware and cyberware, you take the highest one, then half of the lowest one. So if you go mostly for bioware, what cyberware you do take will cost half of the normal Essense cost.
Cynic project
Here it is. Bioware used to cost something called bio-index or something.having a high bio-index made it so you never healed.Or slowed you down so much that if it was a big as essence you would take a light wound and having it for week unless you were healed with magic.

In forth they got rid of that. They did not change the cost of a lot of cyberware. But they change what bioware cost your characters. I see this as one forth ed biggest flaw. The only cyberware you want is the thing that bio can't do. They need to rework the costs of cyberware. Sorry but wired reflexs need to cost way less money and essence. This is a legacy issue, and one that need to be fixed. I do not think bio or cyber should be hand down better than the other. I do not think that if given a resouce that the players can't refund that there should items that are provably better in every way. you have 6 point of essence and you don't get them back. I am just sorry if something bio or cyber and do the same thing they should both cost about the same in money and essence. I do not mind if bioware is basically higher grade.Hell you could make it even slightly less money, under the idea that you have to put some much just to get it or something. So if the cyberware cost 2 essence and 30K.. The bioware should cost no less than 1 essence, and something like 300K(maybe 280K). That would make them different enough that the poor man would get cyberware and the rich man would get bio. That would also make them balanced..As the man with cybware could get delta grade and bingo pay the price for his crome.
Clyde
Bioware costs less essence, but some of the cyberware is an incredible steal in terms of the raw, "how tough can I make this character on 50 points of resources" power. Take muscle replacement - horrible deal on essence but it costs 5,000 nuyen.gif and gives +1 to Agility AND Strength. 1 Build Point spent on Resources gets you 20 in Attributes!!! The Reaction Enhancer (in addition to costing so little essence it might as well *be* bioware) is almost as good - 2 build points to get you 10 points worth of stat. The fact that the stat in question is Reaction (useful for going first and not getting shot) and the essence hit is low make this item a must have. Hell, a decent car costs more.

Synaptic booster is 80,000 nuyen.gif per level. That's 16 Build Points - more expensive than buying Reaction naturally! Muscle Augmentation and Muscle Toner are okay - the exchange ratio works out to something like 7 to 1 in each case - and the low essence hit is nice. The only bioware that's an actual steal, however, is the oft-maligned Adrenal Pump, which gets you 40 BP in temporary stat boost for every 6 BP you put in.

Finally, cyberware costs very, very little. The old (2nd Edition) Street Samurai archetype needed 400,000 nuyen.gif (Resources B) to get his cyber - Wired II, Dermal Plating I, Muscle Replacement I, Retractable Spur, Cybereyes and Smartlink if I remember right. You can do the same build on less than 50,000 nuyen.gif today. I.e. that's only 10 BP on resources - leaving you a lot more for contacts. Take the stuff as alphaware (saving at least a full point of essence) or sub in only the most attractive bioware, and you get a build that's just as powerful as an all bioware guy, but on only half the points.
stevebugge
Why cyber? It's all about style and flavor! I'm sorry but Muscle augmenttation just doesn't have the eyepopping wow factor that a shiny chrome cyber arm has. If the only thing you look at when building a character is the power fot build points ratio, in my opinion you're missing a big part of the game.
Grinder
I'll second stevenbugge. Chrome can help to intimidate people, bio, can't.

Azralon
The social modifiers table even says so.

Are you a chromed monster? +2 to Intimidate!
BlackHat
Plus, didn't this reasoning begin with comparing bioware to DELTA-grade Cyberware?
(I)t's on average about 5 times as cost-effective nuyen-wise compared to delta grade

A starting character can't very well get his hands on delta-grade stuff - and for most, down the road, it's unlikely that they'll get an appointment with one of the 10 (or so) delta-grade clinics in the world. When I make a character, I don't really think about the fact tha someday I might get Delta-grade stuff.

I think a comparison with normal or alpha grade cyberware would give a better answer to the question - but with similar results to what everyone (including Emo) said above.

At chargen, normal cyberware is sometimes cheaper nuyen-wise than bioware equivilents. Bioware means less of an essence-hit, though. Some characters care one way or another. Personally, I usually go the cyberware route - but I almost exclusivly play tech-heavy characters whose essense is shot anyways, and who need money for everything else.

Also, like everyone said, cyberware does different things. If I want a cranial commlink - bioware isn't going to do it.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (BlackHat)
and for most, down the road, it's unlikely that they'll get an appointment with one of the 10 (or so) delta-grade clinics in the world.

Is this still true, or are we assuming?
Maybe delta grade 'ware isn't all that unobtainable anymore.
Of couse, soon they'll be coming out with Zeta-ware! (I know I'm skipping Epsilon-ware, but that sounds dumb. Plus, they skipped Gamma-ware.)

reference to those curious: greek alphabet:
alpha - a
beta - b
gamma - g
delta - d
epsilon - e
zeta - z
and so on...
Of course, they put their letters in a different order than we do, so depending on how you look at it, maybe they didn't skip gamma. Maybe that's next.
If my memory of the order of the greek alphabet is wrong, someone please correct me.
mdynna
The other downside of Bioware is that it can't be turned off. You switch off your Wired Reflexes when you're not on a run but that Synaptic Accelerator and Adrenal Pump are there all the time. So, anything that gets you excited triggers that stuff! Going to that hot new Concrete Dreams concert?

"WhoaManThisIsReallyCoolILoveThisBandSoMuchICan'tWaitToHearMyFavouriteSong!ChummerTheyTotallyRockI'mGoing..." <BANG> 5 points of stun damage! "I have a headache, I'm going home..."
Rotbart van Dainig
While this may may be true for the Adrenal Pump, the only real disadvantage of having an Synaptic Accelerator is that you'll have a penalty while trying motion sensors really slooow.
Azralon
Not per the RAW, Rotbart. That'd be strictly GM-induced flavor penalties.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Azralon)
Not per the RAW, Rotbart. That'd be strictly GM-induced flavor penalties.

P 254 Defeating motion sensors

"Characters amped
for speed may find it difficult to
maneuver in this way; apply a
negative dice pool modifi er equal
to their extra Initiative Passes."
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Azralon)
That'd be strictly GM-induced flavor penalties.

Yeah, sure... but that is such a delicate field - especially concerning overreaction (which would be more likely with wired reflexes turned on, as the user is not as used to it...)
Azralon
Oh ho, DireRadiant FTW!
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Azralon)
Oh ho, DireRadiant FTW!

It's just an example how the book has little tidbits buried in all sorts of places that make it impossible to know what modifiers might apply to various situations.

Ideally the GM screen, or somethign similar will have a handly dandy Sensor Test modifications chart.
hobgoblin
well that one is under motion sensors, so idealy everything about motions sensors are under one topic nyahnyah.gif

or should that particular part be under the various reflex enhancers?

thats the great thing about a relational database, you can link everything left right and center...
Azralon
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jan 17 2006, 04:59 PM)
thats the great thing about a relational database, you can link everything left right and center...

Books make horrible relational databases. You've got your table of contents, and you've got your index, and you might even have a glossary... but too much cross-referencing can get in the way of the reading material itself.

The Shadowrun PDF isn't as easily plopped down on a gaming table as ye olde hardcopy, but having the thing in a laptop sure makes looking stuff up quicker. It kills the visceral experience of flipping directly to the right page for something, of course. I'm okay with that tradeoff.
emo samurai
You can search in the PDF?
Rotbart van Dainig
Sure.
Bearclaw
Yea, that's the advantage to having an official, company made .pdf instead of scanned and dumped on Kazaa.
You can search, copy, paste, add bookmarks, all kinds of cool stuff.
BishopMcQ
Not to mention the kazaa version carries a prison sentence and up to $50,000 pricetag if you get caught...
nick012000
If you live in America. In Australia, it'll just get you sued unless you start trying to make money off of it.
emo samurai
That's IF they catch you.
hyzmarca
And if the copyright holder doesn't just have you killed as an example, which is cheaper than a trial anyway.
Clyde
That's WotC.
Kerberos
QUOTE (McQuillan)
Not to mention the kazaa version carries a prison sentence and up to $50,000 pricetag if you get caught...

Do you honestly mean to tell me that violating copyright on a product worth perhaps 30 dollars will get you a fine of 50.000 and a prison sentence? I find that hard to believe. I think you'd be closer to the mark if you removed 2 or 3 zeroes and the prison sentence.
Moon-Hawk
Would it be legal to download the Kazaa version if you already owned the dead tree version? What if you had already purchased the .pdf. (I know you wouldn't, but it's just a legal question) I'm more interested in the first one. I own the dead tree version. Can I legally download it? I know I could legally scan and make my own .pdf, provided I don't distribute it, but that's a pain in the butt.
PBTHHHHT
Depends if the judge really really wants to make an example of you... and if you piss him off in the courtroom. So be on your best behavior! nyahnyah.gif

So just buy the darn book and don't illegally download, it's not worth it. nyahnyah.gif
Kerberos
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT @ Jan 18 2006, 10:03 AM)
Depends if the judge really really wants to make an example of you... and if you piss him off in the courtroom.  So be on your best behavior!  nyahnyah.gif

So just buy the darn book and don't illegally download, it's not worth it.  nyahnyah.gif

Why would I buy it if it's not worth it? biggrin.gif

Wait that's not what you meant.

As it happens I did buy the book, the dead tree version, I much prefer the hardback to the PDF. The 50.000 dollar fine plus prison is way over the top however no matter how much you piss of the judge, not gonna happen, file piracy is at wordst the equivlant of shoplifting and they don't generally fine you 50.000 dollars for filching a candy bar.
Moon-Hawk
But why is the .pdf version illegal if you've paid for the dead tree.
For example, I know it's legal for me to download an .mp3 of a song, provided I have the CD at home, because I have paid for the song. Therefore, I can have it in multiple forms without stealing.
It seems to me that downloading a .pdf while owning the dead tree is the same situation. The only reason I wonder is that in the second example I'm comparing a digital media to a physical one, and the first example is two digital. Of course, I can always legally make my own .pdf, so I really don't see how downloading it could be illegal; again, provided the downloader already owns the material in some form
Don't get me wrong, I won't do it if it's not legal; nobody better be stealing from Shadowrun, but it would be convenient to have both.
Kerberos
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
For example, I know it's legal for me to download an .mp3 of a song, provided I have the CD at home, because I have paid for the song. Therefore, I can have it in multiple forms without stealing.
It seems to me that downloading a .pdf while owning the dead tree is the same situation. The only reason I wonder is that in the second example I'm comparing a digital media to a physical one, and the first example is two digital. Of course, I can always legally make my own .pdf, so I really don't see how downloading it could be illegal; again, provided the downloader already owns the material in some form
Don't get me wrong, I won't do it if it's not legal; nobody better be stealing from Shadowrun, but it would be convenient to have both.

Because they're considered seperate products. I digital mp3 on a CD is considered the same as a digital mp3 on a hard disc, while a printed book is not considered the same as a pdf digital copy. Kind of like how it's probably not legal for you to download a dvd-copy of a movie that you own on VHS.
Azralon
The PDF version can do things the hardcopy version can't, and it also costs less money but more Essence.
BishopMcQ
QUOTE (US Copyright Office)
Uploading or downloading works protected by copyright without the authority of the copyright owner is an infringement of the copyright owner's exclusive rights of reproduction and/or distribution. Anyone found to have infringed a copyrighted work may be liable for statutory damages up to $30,000 for each work infringed and, if willful infringement is proven by the copyright owner, that amount may be increased up to $150, 000 for each work infringed. In addition, an infringer of a work may also be liable for the attorney's fees incurred by the copyright owner to enforce his or her rights.

Since the files distributed over peer-to-peer networks are primarily copyrighted works, there is a risk of liability for downloading material from these networks. To avoid these risks, there are currently many "authorized" services on the Internet that allow consumers to purchase copyrighted works online, whether music, ebooks, or motion pictures. By purchasing works through authorized services, consumers can avoid the risks of infringement liability and can limit their exposure to other potential risks, e.g., viruses, unexpected material, or spyware.

More information can be found here

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
But why is the .pdf version illegal if you've paid for the dead tree...<SNIP>Of course, I can always legally make my own .pdf, so I really don't see how downloading it could be illegal

The main problem is that the copyright law as written says you are only allowed to create a digital back-up of certain materials for certain reasons such as legitimate back-up in case of damage to the original.

The copyright in the book CopyrightŠ 2005 WizKids Inc. All Rights Reserved. Shadowrun, Matrix, and WK Games are registered trademarks and/or trademarks of WizKids, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. No part of this work may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, without the prior permission in writing of the Copyright Owner, nor be otherwise circulated in any form other than that in which it is published. lists exactly why it is illegal to download the PDF from any non-authorized provider.

I sadly have to explain this to people every day when they ask me to scan in and touch up professional photos. The law prohibits me from making a digital record of the photos because I am not the copyright holder.

--BACK ON TOPIC--

Emo--Buy Cyber because it's what your character wants and fits the concept...sometimes it will be the best way to meet a desired effect, other times it won't. But as many of the arguments here pointed out, it's a matter of style and personal choice.
Moon-Hawk
Wow. Okay, I guess that answers my questions. So I can't even legally scan my dead tree and make my own .pdf? Bummer.
Thanks!
zzimet
Well, I don't think the question should be: to cyber or not to cyber.

The question should be: how can I get the MOST cheese out of the things, and I think the answer to that is using BOTH cyber and bio.

That little rule that says that the lower of your cyber and bio essence costs is halved is very meaningful. (page 301, sidebar, section: "essence cost")

Wired reflexes is almost a no-brainer for anyone not magically active. It's just that simple. Once you have those, even if you get little other cyber, your bioware essence costs go down.

I think the two things are fairly well balanced. Sure, if you have endless money, bioware versions of cyber things are more essence-friendly, but they are often way more expensive.

And once you are out of character creation, adding cyber/bio means going under the knife of someone who is likely a criminal and likely someone you can't totally trust, not to mention mainly at GM discretion. Scary? Should be.

Zach
Dale
my 2 nuyen.gif

Laws blow.
Kerberos
QUOTE (zzimet @ Jan 18 2006, 12:58 PM)

And once you are out of character creation, adding cyber/bio means going under the knife of someone who is likely a criminal and likely someone you can't totally trust, not to mention mainly at GM discretion. Scary? Should be.

Zach

That's why you should get yourself a street doc contact. Preferably one with a decent loyalty.
nick012000
QUOTE (Kerberos)
QUOTE (zzimet @ Jan 18 2006, 12:58 PM)

Zach

That's why you should get yourself a street doc contact. Preferably one with a decent loyalty.

Or get yourself a license to get these things legally, and go under the knife of a doctor that you can sue for malpractice.
Grinder
Never leave home without them - friends! Escpecially not when going under the knife of a street doc (who lives of his reputation and won't kill every customer/ patient he has, btw).

Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)

By the by, this is actually illegal now, thanks to the Digital Millenium Copyright Act that got passed under Clinton while everyone was busy watching the Lewinsky trials*. What you describe used to be protected under the "Fair Use" clause, but not anymore.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I remember under the DMCA it's even illegal to allow other people to listen to a CD you bought. I'm honestly not sure about that though, but I do know that it's the music industry's practice of suing its customer base that's prompted me not to buy a single music CD in the past five years.

*Around the same time we also sent thousands of bombs into Iraq under Operation Desert Fox, predicated on the "fact" of Hussein's possession of weapons of mass destruction, that President Clinton broadcast to the American people. What, did you think Bush was the first president to make that claim, or use it to justify policy decisions?
Space Ghost
i know that if you play music in a public place you have to pay fees. A lot of restaurants don't bother, since it's rarely enforced and the fine you would be forced to pay if caught is negligible.
Galmorez
QUOTE (zzimet)
Well, I don't think the question should be: to cyber or not to cyber.
The question should be: how can I get the MOST cheese out of the things, and I think the answer to that is using BOTH cyber and bio.
That little rule that says that the lower of your cyber and bio essence costs is halved is very meaningful. (page 301, sidebar, section: "essence cost")
Wired reflexes is almost a no-brainer for anyone not magically active. It's just that simple. Once you have those, even if you get little other cyber, your bioware essence costs go down.
I think the two things are fairly well balanced. Sure, if you have endless money, bioware versions of cyber things are more essence-friendly, but they are often way more expensive.

Zach

Bingo.
In SR3, if you were going for 'ware, it was best to strike a balance between your bio and cyber. They've kept that concept in SR4. If you're going to put character creation budget into borging-out, get a good mix.
jago668
Oh just so you know, wired reflexes comes with a trigger to turn it on and off. You would then pretty much have to assume that the synaptic booster bioware stuff would come with something similar. Just a thought, plus we have always let the physical adepts turn their initiative boosters on and off.

Though I do have to agree with the adrenal pump, I've never really found it worth it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012