Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: nano scale batterys
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
hobgoblin
http://sandia.gov/news-center/news-release...t-math/eye.html

this should take care of the trouble with how cybereyes and similar is powered, no?
MrMiracle
I seem to recall in Man & Machine or one of the previous cyber sourcebooks that cyberware is simply powered by the same source as the rest of the body, converted to electrical current.
Azralon
I already scooped ya. smile.gif
Cray74
QUOTE (MrMiracle)
I seem to recall in Man & Machine or one of the previous cyber sourcebooks that cyberware is simply powered by the same source as the rest of the body, converted to electrical current.

Man & Machine tried to say something about "natural bio-electricity," but the only electricity in a human body is in the nerves, and that would have trouble powering an LED, let alone a high-powered cyberlimb or computer chip.

Batteries have the shortcoming of running out of stored power after a while. That's not a problem for low-demand devices like cybereyes or headware, but cyberlimbs can demand hundreds of watts of output to match natural muscle performance. You'd need an impressive battery to power a cyberleg for a marathon or long march.

Which leads me to my perennial suggestion for cybernetic power sources: a fuel cell or other chemical power system that taps blood sugar and dissolved oxygen to generate electricity. Excess power (generated during sleep or desk jockeying) can be stored in a battery to meet peak demands. Recharging is easy: just eat normally.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Azralon)
I already scooped ya. smile.gif

crap, i swear i looked nyahnyah.gif
Chandon
QUOTE (Cray74)
Which leads me to my perennial suggestion for cybernetic power sources: a fuel cell or other chemical power system that taps blood sugar and dissolved oxygen to generate electricity. Excess power (generated during sleep or desk jockeying) can be stored in a battery to meet peak demands. Recharging is easy: just eat normally.

That's exactly what man & machine imples.
Cray74
QUOTE (Chandon @ Jan 18 2006, 03:29 AM)

That's exactly what man & machine imples.

Would you quote that bit of M&M at me, or at least give a page number, please? I might be thinking of something else.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012