Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Monofilament and Dikote in SR4.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
emo samurai
How much do they cost for spurs and katana, and what do they give?
Squinky
Dikote hasn't been converted yet.... (I wouldn't mind if they just left it out though, too crazy).

And I am lost on your monofilament question.
emo samurai
Is dikote REALLY good? And I heard that you could have a monofilament edge for a katana.
Space Ghost
If they do add it, i'd hope for more AP than power, and remove any difference between dikoted edged weapons and piercing.
emo samurai
What did it do in SR3?
hyzmarca
In SR3, dikote added +1 power and +1 DL to edged weapons. In other words, a dikoted katana would do (STR+3)S and a pair of dikoted spurs would cause (STR*2 +1)S base damage.
emo samurai
Wow... dikote is AWESOME!!! Would it also add armor piercing?
Liper
I'm betting dikote will add to AP and DV by a small amount, or just AP value.
Kyoto Kid
I'd put my money on just AP, considering today's diamond tipped drilling & cutting tools. They do not add to the actual power of the bit or blade, but do have a higher hardness factor allowing them to cut more efficiently.
jervinator
I agree. Sharpness does inflict a little more damage due to being able to penetrate/cut deeper, but the real benefit is is getting through that pesky armor. Since SR4 has separate stats for damage and penetration, I feel that they can convert dikote more realistically than ever before.
Monofilament's big thing is that monowire and monowhips have AP -4. Any added damage they do is just a bonus because at least they CAN damage heavilly armored targets.
emo samurai
So monofilament edge would be about -3?
Liper
-1 if you go based off of the sword =p
Space Ghost
Are you talking about the monosword? Cause it wasn't that cool, actually. It had the same damage code as katana, and debates raged on about wether you could dikote it at all. SR3 assumed that katanas were really long compared to swords (or less concealable, anyway), and SR4 seems to run that way too given the concealability table. Also, the core SR3 book called a katana a two-handed weapon, so i guess the trade off is that the monosword was one handed and more concealable but had the same damage code as the katana. We can assume the a monosword in SR4 would have the same stats as an SR4 katana, and there was no mono-katana.

No, if you want the damage, skip the monosword and wait until dikoting rules come out, though i'd suggest either an extra -2 onto the existing weapon or maybe 1 DV and -2 AP if you're feeling generous. i'd kinda hate to see it get crazier than that. And i don't even want to think about dikoted vibro mono-katanas.

As to wether a katana should be more or less powerful/concealable than an entry as generic as "sword", and debates about single/two-handed swords, i'll save those for another time.
Liper
it says in the book the sword is 1handed and the katana is 2handed...

so yeah it's better then the katana.
Azralon
QUOTE (emo samurai)
How much do they cost for spurs and katana, and what do they give?

Please read the book.
Squinky
My biggest beef with dikote is it did everything. Added damage to any weapon (even blunt weapons, somehow magically) and if sprayed on armor (that could handle it ) you got more armor to.

The stuff was pure gold.

Then of course you add that to a guy with a vibro-sword and some light security armor, let the team rigger put some on his car and you've got a shadowrun team walking through town like godzilla....

jervinator
QUOTE (Azralon)
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Jan 19 2006, 09:03 PM)
How much do they cost for spurs and katana, ...

Please read the book.

It is based on surface area, and that is largely a GM call. Surface areas are not listed.
There is a minimum to even bother firing up the machinery, if a Katana or a single set of spurs is all, then that minimum applies.
Liper
I think it was like 1k to get a katana done. and that was the min cost.
emo samurai
My biggest beef with dikote is it did everything. Added damage to any weapon (even blunt weapons, somehow magically) and if sprayed on armor (that could handle it ) you got more armor to.

The stuff was pure gold.

Then of course you add that to a guy with a vibro-sword and some light security armor, let the team rigger put some on his car and you've got a shadowrun team walking through town like godzilla....

Well, it IS diamond, and the technology for it is being developed even today.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Well, it IS diamond [...]

So what?

QUOTE (emo samurai)
[...] the technology for it is being developed even today.

No, the technology exists even today. In fact, technology more advanced than what was described in Man & Machine exists. It provides few if any of the advantages mentioned in the book. It's good for reducing friction and wear and tear -- it does nothing to make any kind of weapon more lethal.

For more details, search the Shadowrun forum history for "dikote" by poster "Cray74".
emo samurai
What's with the jokes about sex with ally spirits and dikote?
DarkMage
I sware your honor my ally spirit was perfectly willing I SWARE!
emo samurai
What the hell is the connection?
Austere Emancipator
It's all got to do with the AVS-materialization.
emo samurai
AVS-Materialization?
Austere Emancipator
A spirit using its Materialization power to take the physical form of an Ares Viper Slivergun, so that it can be Dikoted™ and had sex with. Duh.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Jan 21 2006, 09:13 PM)
What the hell is the connection?

munchkinism and in-forum jokes basicly.

they all are topics that will return to the forum in new threads about every 1-2 years. so in the end they have all been bunched into a single joke that can defuse any debate about any of the topics...

basicly you can count yourself a dumpshock veteran when you can understand&join the underlying collective groan that fuels the joke...
emo samurai
So they're basically like how "Soylent Green Is People" is a reference that refers more to how the secret of soylent green was released by bad marketing than to the actual movie?
hobgoblin
hmm, yep, kinda...
Gabriel (Argus #2323)
I figured that dikote had become standard SOTA by 2070, and if someones sword had it, then someones plates in their armored vest w/ plates had it, etc etc. What I want to know is what happened to my good friend Move-By-Wire! (just joking; but it was hilarious... essense cost = 7 !!!)
hobgoblin
just wait for the tech book, i have a feel it will return.

hmm, put enough bioware in there and the cost of the MBW will "only" be 3.5.

but then you would need a bioware total that goes above 7 (or more if you have aditional cyberware) silly.gif

hmm, given that now initative and number of passes isnt joined at the hip, i would expect MBW to have a very insane number of passes nyahnyah.gif

as for dikote being standard. maybe, maybe not. most likely only on high end variants of the normal gear, but thats just my take on the whole deal...
Lung Han
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jan 26 2006, 10:20 AM)

hmm, given that now initative and number of passes isnt joined at the hip, i would expect MBW to have a very insane number of passes nyahnyah.gif

Really? I always thought the CoreRuleBook said 4 IP is the maximum one can get.
Azralon
QUOTE (emo samurai)
"Soylent Green Is People"

Wait. It's people?
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Lung Han)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jan 26 2006, 10:20 AM)

Really? I always thought the CoreRuleBook said 4 IP is the maximum one can get.

and in SR3 it was a max of 5, but MBW got around that but granting you an extra action at the end of pass 1 (MBW3+)and 2 (MBW4)...
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Azralon)
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Jan 21 2006, 06:44 PM)
"Soylent Green Is People"

Wait. It's people?

if you want to be technical, its proteins. but yes, they come from dead people...
Angelstandings
Thanks for ruining a movie I've been wanting to see for a while... wink.gif
Azralon
They gotta be pulling our leg, Angel. I mean, people aren't green! It just doesn't track.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
and in SR3 it was a max of 5 [...]

Where was such a rule hidden?
hobgoblin
oh hang on, maybe i have it confused with the number of dice you can roll on initiative when all mods are calculated. still, if all dice are sixes, how many passes can you possible be able to generate?
Austere Emancipator
Give me Lofwyr with a Force 72 Increase Reaction spell...

You can definitely get past 5 IPs without any crazy shit. 5 might be the max number of init dice without drugs, etc., but I'm not too sure about that either.
emo samurai
Why Lofwyr? Aren't Ghostwalker and Hestaby bigger and more experienced?
FrankTrollman
Well, Ghostwalker is larger and more experienced than Lofwyr. But he's also a corpse humping crazy man even by dragon standards. Hestaby is not more powerful than Lofwyr, she's more able to understand human nature and thus has beaten him several times in this world where humanity has all the cards. But those have all been "upsets". The other dragons were surprised.

-Frank
emo samurai
I read about a contest among the dragons in Dragons of the Sixth World, and Hestaby beat out Lofwyr and Ghostwalker, which was supposed to be an upset. What was the nature of the contest, and what was it over? It was never really gotten to in depth.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Why Lofwyr?

Because Lofwyr is badass.
FrankTrollman
To make a long story (Survival of the Fittest) short, Dunkelzahn used to be the big man of the dragon world, which is why he was able to get away with so much crap that would have gotten any other great dragon killed. After his "death" there was a big contest amongst the great dragons to reapportion the dragon accolades. The smart money was on Ghostwalker (Big D's crazy brother) or Lofwyr (the more stable and effective of the Alamaise brothers). But Hestaby won and became the dragon head honcho.

It turns out that Dunkelzahn had previously rigged the contest so that Hestaby would win after his death. Possibly because he thought she would do things more like he would have (and indeed, she does Wyrmtalk now).

-Frank
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Give me Lofwyr with a Force 72 Increase Reaction spell...

You can definitely get past 5 IPs without any crazy shit. 5 might be the max number of init dice without drugs, etc., but I'm not too sure about that either.

oh, duh...

ok, i most definetly got my wires crossed (again. good thing i dont disarm bombs for a living).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012