Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions of the Bizarre
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mr.Platinum
Yes i was pondering? I was warped in the head, but i could not find anything cannon that would suggest um you know, the uh uh, the schuka schuka, the hot dog and donut and so on.

Do a species infected with the HMHVV virus get it on?
Ancient History
Yes. Children born of ghouls are not Infected (at least not always), but are often infected shortly afterwards.
Mr.Platinum
Man thats some fucked up shit!

Thanks for creeping me out Ancient.
Ancient History
Never took a gander at Zeuvembie, eh?
FrankTrollman
I'm going to disagree with Ancient:

QUOTE (SR3 Companion @ p. 33)
As with any disease, it may not be passed to one's offspring; however, most children of ghouls are born infected.

There is an occassional pinky born to ghoulish stalk, but they are rare.

-Frank
Ancient History
Well, Hell. I must have misremembered.
Zibik
In Psychotrope one of the deckers is a ghoul. In one of the chapters he talks about his son being born a ghoul and it biting flesh from the mother as she tried to nurse it.

Oddly it doesnt really say (AFAIR) if the mother was a ghoul or not. One would assume so, but I guess its entirely possible she wasnt.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 21 2006, 12:48 PM)
Never took a gander at Zeuvembie, eh?

Hmmm... one of the reasons of getting 'protection' when going for a night out...

What are some of the srun equivalents for protection? Full body condom that is meshed with chainmail and kevlar? silly.gif dont' bother answering, I'm being silly.

Oy, I still can't get it out of my mind about the one comment in SoA, where that one exec is being blackmailed because of a video of him, some underaged boys, and a HMHVV-infected panda... eek.gif
FrankTrollman
God damn that shit pisses me off. There is not now, and never will be an HMHVV infected panda. Ever. There can't be. If it turns out that pandas can be infected by the virus that causes vampirism, then the entire virus would be renamed MVV - Mammalian Vampiric Virus. If, as is far more likely, Pandas (and perhaps Koalas) can be infected with a similar virus that also causes vampirism of a sorts, then they are infected with UVV - Ursid Vampiric Virus.

HMHVV can only infect humans or metahumans, that's what its name means. There are nomenclature rules for a reason, and the names of virus categories convey real information, they aren't just a bunch of fancy letters put up to look cool.

---

Similarly, there is no fucking way that ghouls could be the result of a strain of HMHVV either - the name of the virus means that it causes vampirism. Since ghouls do not have vampiric powers, the virus that causes their condition would by definition have a different name. HMHHV (Human Metahuman Horridus Virus) perhaps. But that's a different, and much longer running complaint.

-Frank
hobgoblin
they dont rename a decease just because it changes its target. look at bird flu...

HMHVV was first documented as just that. then later on variations on said virus where then found to cause anything from ghouls to werewolfs...

btw, im not surprised that the ghoul strain can jump from parent to child. isnt there a whole lot of kids with HIV/AIDS running around in african nations because their parents have it?

desceases allso have a bad habbit of being able to mutate, and at a very rapid rate at times (us humans playing around with them dont help matter either)...

and ghouls can in broad terms be seens as a a variant on vampires. not as powerfull, but then allso more stable (no essence loss for one thing). they have a very specific diet, metahuman flesh, is astraly active, and can transfer the illness with a bite (iirc).

still, SR is a game. dont like it, dont play it that way. but as this is related to canon, i dont see the need to air what looks to me like a in-house rewrite of said canon...
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Jan 21 2006, 05:01 PM)
God damn that shit pisses me off. There is not now, and never will be an HMHVV infected panda. Ever. There can't be. If it turns out that pandas can be infected by the virus that causes vampirism, then the entire virus would be renamed MVV - Mammalian Vampiric Virus. If, as is far more likely, Pandas (and perhaps Koalas) can be infected with a similar virus that also causes vampirism of a sorts, then they are infected with UVV - Ursid Vampiric Virus.

HMHVV can only infect humans or metahumans, that's what its name means. There are nomenclature rules for a reason, and the names of virus categories convey real information, they aren't just a bunch of fancy letters put up to look cool.

---

Similarly, there is no fucking way that ghouls could be the result of a strain of HMHVV either - the name of the virus means that it causes vampirism. Since ghouls do not have vampiric powers, the virus that causes their condition would by definition have a different name. HMHHV  (Human Metahuman Horridus Virus) perhaps. But that's a different, and much longer running complaint.

-Frank

Geez dude, take a chill pill. or rather keep it up and have a stroke in a few years for all I care. Whatever the case, I could be using the HMHVV thing wrong, but still, it was funny reading that in the SoA commentary. And guess what, we'll stick with HMHVV for pandas and koalas even if it causes you to die. nyahnyah.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Jan 21 2006, 05:01 PM)

---

Similarly, there is no fucking way that ghouls could be the result of a strain of HMHVV either - the name of the virus means that it causes vampirism. Since ghouls do not have vampiric powers, the virus that causes their condition would by definition have a different name. HMHHV  (Human Metahuman Horridus Virus) perhaps. But that's a different, and much longer running complaint.

-Frank

Geez dude, take a chill pill. or rather keep it up and have a stroke in a few years for all I care. Whatever the case, I could be using the HMHVV thing wrong, but still, it was funny reading that in the SoA commentary. And guess what, we'll stick with HMHVV for pandas and koalas even if it causes you to die. nyahnyah.gif

or better yet, push it even more so that someone gets a stroke or similar, faster smokin.gif silly.gif
Ancient History
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)

---

Similarly, there is no fucking way that ghouls could be the result of a strain of HMHVV either - the name of the virus means that it causes vampirism. Since ghouls do not have vampiric powers, the virus that causes their condition would by definition have a different name. HMHHV (Human Metahuman Horridus Virus) perhaps. But that's a different, and much longer running complaint.

-Frank

Oh, come off it Frank. I know you've got this mad hate on for the Ghouldom-as-virus thing, but you really should drop it.

Look, everybody and their brother agrees the name should be changed - HMHVV barely works for the ones that do drain Essence - but it's a family of related viruses. Would you rather there were, say, 14 different viruses that all caused really funky mutations in various metahumans (and other animals, in some cases)?
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jan 21 2006, 05:17 PM)
they dont rename a decease just because it changes its target.

Actually, they do. Just look at Simian Immunodeficiency Virus and Human Immunodeficiency Virus.

look at bird flu...

OK. It's named Avian Influenza if it spreads easily in birds and not in humans. Human Influenza spreads easily in humans. Avian influenza is seriously not a problem among humans, definitionally. The worry is that if enough birds have a type of influenza in proximity to humans that a new human-infecting influenza will develope out of that large and geographically disperse genetic resevoire. As soon as it makes the jump and starts infecting humans it is labeled as a Human influenza.

The name "bird flu" is a slang term, not an acronymized scientific category. Similarly, the H1N1 influenzy (most devastating influenza outbreak ever) was called "Spanish flu", but again that was a term for where it came from, and not for what it infects.

HMHVV was first documented as just that. then later on variations on said virus where then found to cause anything from ghouls to werewolfs...

Right. And those variations would be given new names. Probably HMHDV (Human Metahuman Dietary deficiency Virus), but possibly HMHHV or HMHLV depending upon how the categorizers felt about it.

desceases allso have a bad habbit of being able to mutate, and at a very rapid rate at times (us humans playing around with them dont help matter either)...

Actually, humans playing around with viruses doesn't normally cause problems (biowarfare games excluded of couyrse). But yes, viruses mutate a lot - which is why there are so many names for them! The H5N1 virus is the current big scary because it has such a high lethality rate, not because it is particularly capable of infecting humans. The human infecting influenza variants on the market today are H1N1, H1N2, and H3N2. The "H" numbers refer to the type of hemagglutinin protein on the virus and the "N" number refers to the neuraminidase protein.

The concern of bird flu is that the new combination of antigens could mutate again and make a new combination of antigens that is simultaneously dangerous to humans and extremely deadly to those it infects. Right now the H5N1 virus is rather less dangerous to humans than pigs - who eat more people each year than the virus kills.

and ghouls can in broad terms be seens as a a variant on vampires. not as powerfull, but then allso more stable (no essence loss for one thing). they have a very specific diet, metahuman flesh, is astraly active, and can transfer the illness with a bite (iirc).

Actually, that's exactly why ghouls aren't vampires. They can transfer their disease with a bite, a vampire can only transmit the virus by killing its target with Essence Drain - a vector that is both unnecessary and unavailable to ghouls.

QUOTE (Ancient History)
Would you rather there were, say, 14 different viruses that all caused really funky mutations in various metahumans (and other animals, in some cases)?

Yes. I would.

-Frank
PBTHHHHT
Anyway, so the HMHVV infected PANDAS should be a cause for concern in the wilds of China, but if there's such a panda craze nowadays at zoos, I wonder if the the infected pandas would draw a similar craze or not in the Shadowrun world. Plus, would people really want them to mate and have more HMHVV infected PANDAS? I guess that's one thing the pandas have going for them, more cuddliness and such. The ghoul nations should hire better publicists...
hyzmarca
I must wonder how many people who post in Shadowlands are actually hard-assed virologists and how many are lay persons using a generally accepted lay term.

Yeah, it should be possible for a blood borne virus to pass from parent to child. However, it should also be possible that it does not. The placenta serves to insulate the fetus' cardiovascular system from the mother's. Since parents and children can have different blood types this is very important. This also means that it is possible for HIV infected women to give birth to uninfected children. This happens fairly often. However, it is sometimes possible for small amounts of blood to pass through the placenta and certain viruses can pass through the placenta along with oxygen and nutrients.
Ancient History
Well, we all choose different things to be anal about.

[/edit] Just for shits and giggles, let's look at a general map of the HMHVV family:

HMHVV
-Transforms humans into vampires, elves into banshees, orks into wendigo, trolls into dzoo-noo-qua, and dwarfs into goblins

HMHVV (variant 1)
-Transforms humans into Abat

HMHVV (variant 2)
-Transforms humans into Amalanhig

HMHVV (variant 3)
-Transforms humans in Sukuyan

Bruckner-Langer Strain
-Transforms humans (and the rare elf) into nosferatu

Jarka-Criscione Strain (AKA HMHVV II)
-Transforms sasquatch into Bandersnatch, humans into loup-garou, trolls into formorians

Krieger Strain
-Transforms humans, elves, dwarfs, orks, and trolls into ghouls

Krieger-Laluah Strain
-Transforms humans, elves, dwarfs, orks, and trolls into sasobonsam

Krieger Strain (variant 1)
-Transforms humans, elves, dwarfs, orks, and trolls into busaw

Drop Bear Strain
-Transforms koala bears into drop bears

That's ten different strains, each of which probably has a scientfic name no one's bothered to post yet. If you break it down by species - which I think is pure overkill, but there is some basis for it - you're looking at a minimum of 17 virii. And that doesn't include weird critters like gaki which have barely shown up on the map yet. Too much of a geek fest, even for me, man.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Too much of a geek fest, even for me, man.

Ack, if it fails the Ancient History geek level test, then we gotta simplify it! wink.gif
BetaFlame
Good god.

I didn't know there were that many different things the stupid virus could cause.

Sort of one of my players (which is likely with my wife) making an expert in virology, I think I will stick with the "normal" name.

Where did the info for all those damn varients come from?

And tell me the Drop Bear thing is a joke from the Drop Bear thread.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (BetaFlame)
Good god.

I didn't know there were that many different things the stupid virus could cause.

Sort of one of my players (which is likely with my wife) making an expert in virology, I think I will stick with the "normal" name.

Where did the info for all those damn varients come from?

Yeah. There was a period in FASA development in which HMHVV was the default explanation for basically everything - leaving us with quite a bit of absurdity. Paranormal Animals of Europe has an HMHVV variant every couple pages. Apparently in the future virologists have simply thrown their hands up in disgust and all magical communicable syndromes are lumped under the heading of "Human Metahuman Vampiric Virus" even when they don't afflict humans or cause vampirism. I'm surprised that Mantis Spirits aren't classified as an HMHVV vairant.

And tell me the Drop Bear thing is a joke from the Drop Bear thread.

It goes the opposite direction I'm afraid. Drop Bears are a real (tongue-in-cheek) legend from Australia, and appear in several pieces of fiction in numerous sources. Drop Bears were listed as being an HMHVV variant, apparently as a joke about how many extra HMHVV variants had been written up, and the Drop Bear Thread is a running joke originally based on that description.

In short, it's simply something that has passed so far into meta-humor that it stopped being funny and became funny again and then stopped being funny again. The joke about how old the original joke had become has itself gotten old.

-Frank
Wounded Ronin
It just goes to show that simplification in RPGs is bad. What SR4 really needed was a panel of virologists and biologists to get all the biological stuff, and then a really complex engine for simulating disease in a correct manner.

Then they needed to hire John Mullins to implement calibers and firearms realism.

And then of course they needed to hire Stephen Kenson for magical real...oh, wait.
FrankTrollman
Heh. I don't think we have to go that far. Mostly I think it just shows the danger of shooting your mouth off when you don't know what you are talking about. I'm fine with the Ares Pedator being "a heavy pistol" - players who know what the calibers of actual heavy pistols can fill those in if for some reason it becomes important. But letting someone like me (whose knowledge of firearms is much like Antonio Banderas' knowledge of swords from The Mask of Zorro - the bullet goes in the other man) write in calibers that "sound cool" on all the weapons would detract from the game. People who actually knew anything about firearms would be insulted, and people who played the game would actually know less about firearms after playing the games.

Actually something similar happened with offensive and defensive grenades back in previous editions. A "defensive" grenade is one that is intended to be used from a fox hole, and has a much larger kill radius than an "offensive" grenade that is intended to concuss people inside bunkers from without.

Similarly, letting people write up a bunch of virus "scientific names" back in the early nineties when they obviously wouldn't have the first idea of how to even decipher a virus name - was an error.

-Frank
toturi
In short, it's simply something that has passed so far into meta-humor that it stopped being funny and became funny again and then stopped being funny again. The joke about how old the original joke had become has itself gotten old.
Then it is time we refreshed the old joke about the old joke!

Vampire Pandas on the flanks, Dropbears in the van! Form a spear of darkness! Charge!

On-topic: Yeah. Ghouls do get it on, you know. Like if they didn't, there won't be a ghoul nation. nyahnyah.gif
Mr.Platinum
What in sam hell have i caused?
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Mr.Platinum)
What in sam hell have i caused?

Nothing unusual. If not for your exposure to the mirth that is the drop bear thread, you too may realize how absolutely normal nit-picking and arbitrary flames really are. Drek, go look at any gun discussion, you can sometimes find 3 RL gun experts arguing about whose complete house-rule set is more perfect.
toturi
rollin.gif
Ancient History
As long as we don't resurrect the Ask Ancient History thread. Serial nightmare, I'm tellin' ya.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Similarly, letting people write up a bunch of virus "scientific names" back in the early nineties when they obviously wouldn't have the first idea of how to even decipher a virus name - was an error.

That's great. But well I for one didn't write it up. But I'm gonna say that the animal is infected with HMHVV because it's simple enough to get the meaning across and people know what I'm talking about. The fact that I did not look up the specific virus in this regards, well then tell me what the virus name is specifically for vampiric pandas. part of the Drop bear strain? subclassed via the Panda?

Henceforth, I shall instead call it the VIRUS*-infected PANDAS

* Said virus being related to the Drop Bear Strain, related to the HMHVV strain in humans that causes vampiric conditions within the subject. Such condition includes symptoms of wanting to cuddle with an individual and suck their bloods out. By no means should one be in close proximity with such infected subjects and should one be aware of one, please remove self from the area and contact the local authorities. By no means should one deal with one themselves, leave it to the trained professionals. And above all else do NOT copy any moves you see by the Awakened Hunter ™ series, all such moves were done by a trained professional with years of experience and an onsite fully staffed medical team and a heavily armed response team.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
the Drop Bear Thread is a running joke originally based on that description.

-Frank

It's more like a 10k marathon at this point really.

BTW< how 'bout 'mad cow' if you don't like the example of the bird flu.

Honestly I think HMHVV is more akin to UGE. Basically, it's an abbreviation for something they made up to classify something that they did not understand. UGE (Unexplained Genetic Expression) was named such becuase people were scareed, had no idea what was going on, and it became a catch phrase to make people feel scure. "No, you're kid isn't a demon, he's just a UGE baby." I thin they described it almost exactly like that in the source books actually. Advanced the time line 4-50 years, and they have a much better idea of what trolls and orks are. THey're not so unexplained anymore, although no one has the exact details (except for the Profezzor).

HMHVV is the same thing. By now they have a much better idea about it, and you can be sure that the scientists and lab rats in SR have much more complicated names for it. But we don't need that. If you feel so inclined to name each variant seperately, then do so. But for the world at large (and players) HMHVV is recognised and familiar enough to get the idea across.
FrankTrollman

BTW< how 'bout 'mad cow' if you don't like the example of the bird flu.

Exactly. Mad cow, or Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy is a prion, not a virus. And even then, once it affects humans it becomes new variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (nvCJD). Note that because it is a protein ailment and not a viral agent, it can be (and is) named after people. Viruses never are. Spongiform encephalopathy in humans gets treated the same way that things like Huntington's Disease are for the purposes of naming.

-Frank
fistandantilus4.0
notworthy.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (Ancient History)
As long as we don't resurrect the Ask Ancient History thread. Serial nightmare, I'm tellin' ya.

What? I loved that thread! biggrin.gif
Adarael
Despite what biologists tell me, I still think it's more fun to think of human-affecting prions such as C-J Mad Cow Disease as 'angry shapes' rather than 'malformed protein chains'.

Because I hate it when cows push their messed-up, self-replicating shapes into my gray matter!
mintcar
Frank: Game makers can´t be experts in every feild. So the virus pisses you off, well the only thing you can do about it (and I´m sure you are) is giving the different strands your own names in your game. You do realize that there are other completely stupid things in this game that you happily swallow with blissful ignorance, right? Just the way I´ve never been bothered (much) by HMHVV up until now. You´re lucky your disbelief only demands you change a few names of viruses—SLJames will have to change the entire history of the UCAS nyahnyah.gif .

(I guess I´m just ignorant enough to accept most of it as it is myself)
hyzmarca
If caught early the Krieger Strain can be cured. This is important to remember if you get into melee with a ghoul or if you run into Zeuvembie and don't have any condoms.
hobgoblin
ok, so it was another foot in mouth moment. but still, my main gripe was the clear anal and "my way or no way" kind of way the complaint was posted. but then i should maybe have gotten used to it as it seems to show up in all areas of SR...
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Well, Hell. I must have misremembered.

sum of snitch! mark the calendears and someone call Guiness!
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Adarael)
Despite what biologists tell me, I still think it's more fun to think of human-affecting prions such as C-J Mad Cow Disease as 'angry shapes' rather than 'malformed protein chains'.

Wow. That works surprisingly well. Of course, the proteins aren't independently alive and are incapable of caring about things, so they aren't literally angry. But the analogy is pretty tight - it is the folding (the "shape") that makes the protein damaging (or "angry" if you will), not the actual amino acid make-up of the chain. So you can carry on with that I suppose. It might get you some strange looks in an X-ray crystalography lab, but for a street definition it is certainly close enough. The important part about prions is that they are non-living and non-genetically induced. "Angry Shapes" gets that across fairly well actually.

---

My complaint is not that people have to use scientifically accurate terms, or that they have to have micro-organisms (and sub-organisms) behave like they normally do once they invke Magic. My complaint is only that if people do decide to whip out the science-speak to make themselves sound smart, that they at least do us the curtesy of looking up what that science speak means so that they don't undermine the story.

Did you know that Shadowrun has half-ghouls? I'm pretty sure its not supposed to, but now it does. Here's why:

Originally, ghouls were caused by goblinization. We all know how that works, it's an all or nothing process that is invoked if the mana-sphere takes a shine to your non-coding DNA sequences. Goblinized parents are more likely to have goblinized children, but since the non-coding bits are a little different there are no guarantees. So back then, an individual was a ghoul or not a ghoul, right?

And then they retconned the history of goblinization research, where apparently despite the fact that a virus was the original and disproved hypothesis for goblinization, noone had bothered to repeat the ork and troll research on ghouls and ghouls actually were caused by a virus. O-K. The reason that ghouls usually have ghoul babies is reported in Cyberpirates - Krieger Strain modifies the host's DNA and the virus is often passed from mother to child. So the ghoul causing virus that people managed to disprove the existence of and then subsequently find 40 years later is a retrovirus that affects the germ line.

So if you're a ghoul male, and you impregnate a human female (giving her a Krieger prophylactic or just using artificial insemination) then you have a child that has half ghoul-modified DNA and half normal human DNA. This child can even goblinize, making a half-ghoul troll.

---

That's what I object to. If people use real science words and don't know what they mean, they end up undermining the setting. I can accept that you can't make a living vampire with immuno-suppressants and a hypodermic filled with vampire blood because HMHVV is magic and doesn't have to follow your rules, man. Sure, that's the kind of suspension of disbelief that you have to accept when you start throwing Magic around. But when you start coming up with pseudo-science explanations ("the Magic altered his DNA to give him Ghoul Powers!") then it starts being subject to analysis and prediction by real science, which can take the story into directions we don't want.

We've all seen D&D close enough to know that we don't want half-ghouls running around. And yet, the Krieger-strain plotline gave us exactly that. And that's... unfortunate.

-Frank
Mr.Platinum
I would like to say something!

It's only a Game, there is more to life.!

biggrin.gif
Critias
"It's only a game, so we shouldn't be bothered if it sucks/is stupid/is so far removed from reality we can't stand it/feel like we've been ripped off/etc, etc."

Yes, it's a game. However, it's not "only" a game -- it's also a product we've, as consumers, paid money for. That means we'd like it to be a high quality product, and that means when it isn't, we're allowed to bitch about it.
Ancient History
QUOTE ("Frank Trollman")
Originally, ghouls were caused by goblinization. We all know how that works, it's an all or nothing process that is invoked if the mana-sphere takes a shine to your non-coding DNA sequences. Goblinized parents are more likely to have goblinized children, but since the non-coding bits are a little different there are no guarantees. So back then, an individual was a ghoul or not a ghoul, right?

Originally, ghouls were assumed to be caused by Goblinization, because the already-present retrovirus activated when the mana rose.

QUOTE ("Frank Trollman")
And then they retconned the history of goblinization research, where apparently despite the fact that a virus was the original and disproved hypothesis for goblinization, noone had bothered to repeat the ork and troll research on ghouls and ghouls actually were caused by a virus. O-K. The reason that ghouls usually have ghoul babies is reported in Cyberpirates - Krieger Strain modifies the host's DNA and the virus is often passed from mother to child. So the ghoul causing virus that people managed to disprove the existence of and then subsequently find 40 years later is a retrovirus that affects the germ line.

You're reading the facts wrong here. Ghouls were initially assumed to have Goblinized, and science initially approached Goblinization as being a result of a retrovirus. It was discovered that Goblinization was not caused by a retrovirus, and Ghouls were created by a retrovirus. Call it a retcon if you must, but metahumans don't Goblinize into Ghouls, the people at the time just thought they did. Later research proved them wrong.

QUOTE ("Frank Trollman")
So if you're a ghoul male, and you impregnate a human female (giving her a Krieger prophylactic or just using artificial insemination) then you have a child that has half ghoul-modified DNA and half normal human DNA. This child can even goblinize, making a half-ghoul troll.

The retrovirus would likely be passed along in the semen and Infect the child, but there is no evidence that the genes ghouls pass on is altered. If you want to take a further example, in SR2 (Bug City) that some metahumans can resist the retrovirus, and though they may gain some physiological changes or become carriers, they are not ghouls. That's as close to "half ghouls" as you're going to get. The reason those exist is because unlike Goblinization, Ghouldom is a condition caused by a retrovirus. Ghouls are not a race unto themselves. It's a very different argument than why you can't have, say, half-elves or half-orks.

Personally, I have no problem with someone in Shadowrun running around half-blind because of a close encounter with a ghoul.
Mr.Platinum
QUOTE (Critias)
"It's only a game, so we shouldn't be bothered if it sucks/is stupid/is so far removed from reality we can't stand it/feel like we've been ripped off/etc, etc."

Yes, it's a game. However, it's not "only" a game -- it's also a product we've, as consumers, paid money for. That means we'd like it to be a high quality product, and that means when it isn't, we're allowed to bitch about it.

What I'm saying ! is some times you guys/gals go way to far.

And Critias you really have to tone it down, i'm not attacking anyone.

You my fellow dump shocker have to stop trying to attack every one, i know you may be small in real life, but you have to try to stop being a tough guy on the forum, it's really really getting old. eek.gif
Critias
QUOTE (Mr.Platinum @ Jan 22 2006, 01:54 PM)
QUOTE (Critias @ Jan 22 2006, 06:06 PM)

Yes, it's a game.  However, it's not "only" a game -- it's also a product we've, as consumers, paid money for.  That means we'd like it to be a high quality product, and that means when it isn't, we're allowed to bitch about it.

You my fellow dump shocker have to stop trying to attack every one, i know you may be small in real life, but you have to try to stop being a tough guy on the forum, it's really really getting old. eek.gif

(1) I wasn't attacking anyone. You know what that looks like, and that wasn't it. Why knee-jerk and tell me to calm down, when I'm obviously not riled up?

(2) How do we go "too far?" By expecting a little realism in our game? By examining, and noticing discrepancies within, the dark corners your average/casual gamer may not notice? Welcome to Dumpshock. That's what happens here. We don't just come here to chittity-chat and pat each other on the back over how awesome Shadowrun is, and how cool we are for playing it. We come here to look at it, discuss it, examine it closely, dissect it, tear it apart, talk about what we don't like as much as what we do. It's the internet. Expecting endless positivity is remarkably naive.

(3) Don't say "I'm not attacking anyone" and then make ignorant, ridiculous, assumptions about how "small" I am in real life, or guesses as to how I act or why I act it on-line. You don't know me, you don't know anything about me. You don't know who I am or how I am, except for how I happen to act (in posts you notice, the negative ones, of course), on one little forum in one little corner of the internet (one little part of my life).

We done? If not, take it (back) to PMs.
Mr.Platinum
QUOTE (Critias)

Yes, it's a game.  However, it's not "only" a game -- it's also a product we've, as consumers, paid money for.  That means we'd like it to be a high quality product, and that means when it isn't, we're allowed to bitch about it.

(1) I am small?

(2) My parents beat me.

(3) I wish i was in prison to get fucked in the ass.

Man you have problems.

Now I was'nt attacking any one, did i specifically name any one?

But now i am attacking.
Critias
QUOTE (Mr.Platinum @ Jan 22 2006, 02:24 PM)
QUOTE (Critias @ Jan 22 2006, 07:21 PM)

(1) I am small?

(2) My parents beat me.

Man you have problems.

But now i am attacking.

Quoted to keep Mister Platinum from editing to cover his tracks before moderators arrive. I'm also done posting to this thread until such a time as whatever-his-problem-is gets resolved. Sorry for the disruption, everyone.
Mr.Platinum
Man that is so week, i have nothing to hide, i'm not the one who said they like prison.
BetaFlame
QUOTE (Mr.Platinum)
QUOTE (Critias @ Jan 22 2006, 07:21 PM)

(1) I am small?

(2) My parents beat me.

Man you have problems.

But now i am attacking.

That was so stupid I died a little.

On the inside.
Grinder
eek.gif or rotfl.gif ?
SL James
Goddamn you are pathetic, Platinum.
mfb
i agree with FrankTrollman re: overuse of misunderstood terminology. that said, retconning is part of the game, and at least the retcons can be forced into some semblance of sense with AH's explanation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012