Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is Scale (Lofwyr's shifty expediter) a Drake?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Velocity
In Saeder-Krupp's entry in Corporate Download, on p. 89, a Shadowland poster named Shetani mentions an entity called "Scale:"
This creature you don't want to meet.  I'm not completely sure, but I think it's an ally spirit that can assume various forms: I've personally seen it as a mini-dracoform, elf and lizard-man.  Scale acts as Lofwyr's expediter and personal messenger.

Sounds like a possible drake (from Threats 2) to me. Thoughts?
DV8
I can't for the life of me find where I read this - possibly another thread on the old forums - but I'm fairly sure someone dug up something about this guy, and that he indeed was a Drake, or at least that there had been some severe indications that he was.
Stormdrake
Scale is a drake of some considerable power.
Velocity
Stormdrake wrote:
Scale is a drake of some considerable power.

Says who? Not that I'm disagreeing--it makes sense to me--but do you have a citation for this?
snowRaven
In my game, at least, he is a very powerful True Drake capable of assuming both Elven and T'skrang forms.
Kanada Ten
Dragons of the Sixth World "confirms" that Scale is indeed a drake.

Or that one of the Scales is a drake wink.gif
Person 404
My GM last year decided that he should be a powerful free spirit (this was before DotSW was released), which if anything made him more annoying.
Velocity
Kanada Ten wrote:

Thanks K10, much app'd. smile.gif
Synner
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)

Hey, I don't remember writing that... he has apparently been hunting drakes but I don't recall confirming that he himself is one.
Senchae
With a name like Scale and the things said about him in DotSW and CD it hadn't occurred to me that he might possibly not be a drake. But I guess it's possible.

Doesn't he post in the Drakes section of DotSW about joining a dragon being like getting a great salary and benefits and the like? That read to me like he was saying "this is why you should do as I have done."
But I'm at work and can't look it up right now.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Synner)
...but I don't recall confirming that he himself is one.

Is everything about you? wink.gif

Confirmation by percent
50% Corporate Download Saeder-Krupp section + Earthdawn
20% Threats 2 Dealings with Dragons + Dot6W Lofwyr
30% Dragons of the Sixth World Ryumyo
lorg
Isn't he in one of the recent adventures? I seem to recall so ... He is definetly a drake.
KosherPickle
QUOTE (lorg)
Isn't he in one of the recent adventures? I seem to recall so ... He is definetly a drake.

Scale is in the first adventure in Corporate Punishment. He represents the best possible way out of the predicament (and isn't that a scary thought?).
lorg
yes CP that was the one .... knew he was in one of them.
Synner
Corporate Punishment doesn't confirm or deny his being a drake. In fact it leaves the whole issue open to GM interpretation.
snowRaven
MAYBE Lofwyr has a true drake named Scale, AND an ally spirit named Scale who can take the same forms (drake, elf, lizard man (i.e. T'skrang)) - after all, Lofwyr likes having several people with the same 'street' name, and it would make using Scale be more of a benfit, if his actual abilities changed now and then. Keeo him more in the mystery, so to speak.

Ideally, quicken a mindlink spell to them so they are always in contact with one and another, and share each others knowledge...

The more I think about it, the more likely this is. In theory, he could even have two ally spirits, or two drakes, or both...
Kanada Ten
Lofwyr does not have an ally spirit, IMHO.

There can be many Scales, but the Big D pretty much clears up any confusion about the one and only dragon with an ally spirit.
Herald of Verjigorm
When does Dunky state that only he has ally spirits?
Kanada Ten
When does Dunky state that only he has ally spirits?

Dragons of the Sixth World, Ryumyo chapter. Dunkelzahn states that summoning ally spirits does not appeal to dragons, "it is simply not in our nature."

The ally spirits mentioned in the will were not his, just his favorite.
snowRaven
Well, just because Ryumyo is the only dragon with a known ally doesn't mean he's the only one.

If Lofwyr has an ally spirit which for all intents and purposes looks like Scale, he could hide it's existance as long as he took care not to send it where another great dragon risks meeting it.

And moreover, Dunkie doesn't say that dragons don't summon allies - just that they rarely will - and the words Far Scholar makes use of are 'the idea simply does not appeal to us'.
Large Mike

Being as dragons have a tendancy to meddle, especially with each other, I find it highly unlikely that none of the other dragons would have not encountered Scale especially if he was something that glowed as bright as an ally spirit.

My money's on Scale being a Drake.

That he can change into a T'skrang itches my curiosity glands a bit though. Can other Drakes do this? What are the conditions. Is it possible that Scale is immortal and actually has a relation to some/a/the T'skrang?

Hmm...
AK404
Depends. What other known drakes are out there?
lorg
Known to whom? Everybody? Then none. But Ryan is one, Scale might be one (I think he is one, or atleast that was my interpretation). There where multiple posters in the shadowcomments about Drakes which I take could indicate that there are quite a few of them out there.
Ancient History
A few drakes are revealed in Survival of the Fittest, and certainly there are hints of drakes in Threats 2, Dragons of the Sixth World, and certain previous works; though admittedly those could be "paracritter" drakes.

As for your question, Large Mike, the answer is likely no. Bred Drakes can only take on the for of their natural metahuman race and that of a iniature dracoform. It would require a True Drake (or perhaps a lesser construct) to appear in more forms. Even if a dragon granted a metahuman the ability to assue a drake form, they could not transform into the form of any other metahuman race without the aid of a shapechange spell.
Survival of the Fittest, Threats 2, Dragons of the Sixth World, and then other books, were mentioned as other books.

My question is does anyone have a more complete least. I need to read FanPro/FASA(possibly) material because well let's face it they wrote it, it is a book it will give the best idea of what these guys are. Thus I will hunt these books down.
Pistons
There was a little bit about drakes in Year of the Comet, as well.

You might want to check out some of the Earthdawn material, because that's where they also show up. The biggest source of material for drakes out of those books is, afaik, Dragons. The .pdf should still be available out there. Just do a Google search for "Earthdawn Dragons .pdf".
Ancient History
252, have you ever considered visitng my site?
Dude I downloaded Dragons from Ancient Histories site. So do you have any other Drake parts in your site. ::Could have sworn I checked all the links and have read everything thouroughly even the book list that give little details:: ::Goes back to site and begins re-reading dragon.pdf.:: biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012