Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5 Ways to Pilot a Vehicle in Shadowrun 4th Edition
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Cain
Cain, you may install a Pilot program on a vehicle, as seen under the Pilot header.

How? According to the rules, you do it by rigger-adapting a vehicle. If you read that section, you'll note that it only says Pilot stands in for System in a vehicle, not that you can install it on a vehicle without modifying the vehicle first. Later on, the Agents section is rather specific about how to upload an Agent/IC program.

SR4 p238:
The key difference that sets drones apart from ordinary vehicles is the rigger adaptation that provides drones with a Pilot program, which enables the drone to act independently of its controller to a limited degree.

Does not seem to say "The key difference that sets drones apart from ordinary vehicles is the Pilot program". That intentional misreading indeed results in circular logic.

Semantics.

And that's not circular logic, that's an argument of definition.

Unfortunately, you cannot install an Agent onto a vehicle, since that's what Pilots are *for*. If you can install an Agent istead, then the rules would say: "You need to add your Pilot program into an Agent before it can run on a vehicle". Instead, it says: "By rigger-adapting a vehicle, you add a Pilot program, which allows the drone to act independently." Heck, the gear rules make a distinction between Agenst and Pilots!

In fact, drones are consistently to the above rules always equipped with rigger adaption, see Drones entry in the equipment chapter.

In fact, drones are *always* equipped with rigger adaptation, that's part of the definition of a drone. So's having a Pilot. There's no argument that Drone = Vehcile + Pilot, there's only a question of rather or not you can have the Pilot without becoming a drone. And the answer to that is a firm "No"; nowhere in the rules does it say: "You can add a Pilot to a vehicle without rigger-adapting it first".

So, vehicle + Pilot = Drone. Repeat it several times, it's canon.
Starmage21
QUOTE (DigitalMage)
4. Rigging
The act of using Control Rig cyberware and a simsense module (either cyberware or in a commlink) to be able to �jump into� a vehicle and control it using full VR immersion. The rigger may be physically located in the vehicle and accessing it via a fibre optic link, or he can be controlling it remotely via a wireless connection (a commlink). This requires the vehicle to be rigger adapted, though it is unclear whether all the vehicles in the SR4 core book are rigger adapted or not (see below).
Roll: Reaction + Vehicle Skill +2
Threshold: -1
Initiative: Commlink�s Response + Intuition (+1 if Hot Sim)
Passes: 2 passes (3 passes if Hot Sim)

SR4 p158:
If the controlling character is using full-immersion virtual reality to control the vehicle (this is called �rigging� the vehicle), the vehicle operates on his Matrix Initiative (see p. 230).
SR4 p159:
Characters who are driving a vehicle through virtual reality (whether they are directly jacked in to the vehicle or piloting it remotely), receive a �1 threshold modifier to all Vehicle Tests.
SR4 p228:
A simsense module is required to access full VR. The sim module is a commlink accessory that you access with a datajack or trode net.
SR4 p230:
If you�re operating in cold sim virtual reality, your Matrix Initiative equals your commlink�s Response + your own Intuition attribute. You also get an extra Initiative Pass (two total).
If you�re running with hot sim in virtual reality mode, your Matrix Initiative equals your commlink�s Response + your own Intuition attribute + 1. You get two extra Initiative Passes (three total).
SR4 p331:
Control Rig: This implant harnesses the raw data-coordinating and synchronization power of the middle brain for the express purpose of directly manipulating rigged vehicles / drones. The control rig provides a +2 dice pool bonus on all Vehicle skill tests while the rigger is �jumped into� a vehicle/drone via full virtual reality. This bonus does not apply to other drone manipulation through the Matrix.
SR4 p341:
Rigger Adaptation: When added to a vehicle, this �black box� allows a character with a control rig (see p. 331) to rig the vehicle (see Rigging and Drones, p. 238), either through a direct fiberoptic cable or wireless link.

If you rig in hot sim, wouldnt that mean an additional +2 dice because of the generic "everything done in hot sim gets +2" rule?
Riley37
Cain has succeeded in a test which involved rolling more hits on Willpower, than the attacker rolled on Logic. Cf. the thread on PC-vs-PC social interactions.
Ryu
One can install a pilot on a vehicle. As long there is no quote saying "installing pilot on a vehicle requires rigger adaption", it does not.

We are just told that drones need to have rigger adaption for that. Vehicles are distinct from drones because they don´t have rigger adaption. I do not need to install a pilot because they come with pilot. Which they may have, because vehicles may run pilot programs.

After you installed rigger adaption, your vehicle can be used as a drone. But you don´t have to do that.
Cain
One can install a pilot on a vehicle. As long there is no quote saying "installing pilot on a vehicle requires rigger adaption", it does not.

"Hey, I'd like to install a jet engine on my vehicle? Why not, there's no rule saying I can't!" cool.gif

We are just told that drones need to have rigger adaption for that. Vehicles are distinct from drones because they don´t have rigger adaption. I do not need to install a pilot because they come with pilot. Which they may have, because vehicles may run pilot programs.

Almost got it. You don't have to install a Pilot, since it comes automatically with rigger adaptation. And since all vehicles in the book come with Pilots, they're rigger-adapted. QED.

There is nothing in the book saying that "Vehicles may run Pilot programs without being rigger-adapted first". In fact, there's a statement to the contrary. There is no argument that the rigger adaptation is how you provide vehicles with a Pilot program, converting them into drones. And there's no significant game-balance issues by following RAW on this one.

What's the problem?
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Cain)
"Hey, I'd like to install a jet engine on my vehicle?  Why not, there's no rule saying I can't!"

"Just one? That's not going to fly."

QUOTE (Cain)
There is nothing in the book saying that "Vehicles may run Pilot programs without being rigger-adapted first".

Actually, the RAW still does allow you to put Pilot on everything instead of system.
DireRadiant
When your supporting argument is the rules don't say I can't, well.... there's a lot of stuff the rules don't say.

Drones have Rigger Adaption and Pilot does not mean all things with Pilot have Rigger adaption.

The bit about drones having both Rigger Adaption and Pilot is in the book, but the inference that anything with Pilot must also have Rigger Adaption is not. (Please show me this exact statement in this form if I am wrong, I would be more then happy to see this. It is true all the vehicles in the book have Pilot, but the connection to Rigger Adaption is not explicit.)

Since it also does not state anywhere Rigger Adaption is required for a Pilot to operate a vehicle, I do not draw the conclusion that anything with Pilot must have Rigger Adaption as well.
Cain
It's basically an argument of definition. A drone is distinguished from a vehicle by tthe rigger adaptation that provides a Pilot program. In other words, the defining line between drones and vehicles is that Pilot program.

Look at it this way. All drones must be able to act a limited degree on their own. That's part of what defines a drone, that autonomous capacity. All the vehicles in the BBB have Pilots, enabling them to act to a limited degree on their own. That means they're all drones, in addition to being vehicles. And since the book says all drones must be rigger-adapted, then all the vehicles in the book are also rigger-adapted.

I don't get what the furor is.
Riley37
QUOTE (Cain)

No, you clearly don't. If you're happy with the rules as written, then enjoy them as-is.

If you have a coherent answer for why the BBB marks *some* vehicles as drones, and not others, and what the difference is between those two categories, then please enlighten us.
Ustio
Injecting some of my own take on this and that of the players and other DMS in the FanBoy 3 circuit (you know who you are)

Pilot - Software that runs a vehicle or other mechanical device (such as an autodoc or nano-fac), installed to a basic degree on all vehicles (may be upgraded)

Rigger adaptaion - a series of sensors and feedback circuits that act as a simrig for the device they are put in, always comes with a pilot program.

Drone - A vehicle with no control/passenger space, always comes with Rigger adaptaion to allow VR control.

The BBB Doesn't say that all vehciles are drones, nor does it imply it,

SR4 p238: "The key difference that sets drones apart from ordinary vehicles is the rigger adaptation that provides drones with a Pilot program"

This states that its the Rigger adaptation that makes a drone NOT the pilot program, the fact that a rigger adaption gives a vehcile a pilot program does not mean this is the only way to get a pilot program.

Vehicles can be controlled by Physical (with or without AR assist), Command or by Remote.

Drones can be controlled by Command, Remote, or Rigging

Vehciles which have been rigger adapted can be controlled by Physical, Command, Remote or Rigging.

This take means that the rules in the skills and combat/vehcile section can be applied without any confusion

Paradigm
The main thing people are ignoring, straight from the BBB, page 238: (assuming BBB is big black book from what I read here, being the SR4 tome, please correct me if I'm wrong)

All drones that are incapable of carrying passengers are
usually automatically pre-adapted for rigger control. Passenger
vehicles or larger passenger drones are not usually pre-adapted,
but can be adapted quickly by the manufacturer, a mechanic, or
even a rigger character (see Rigger Adaptation, p. 341)

QUOTE (Ustio)
Vehicles can be controlled by Physical (with or without AR assist), Command or by Remote.

Drones can be controlled by Command, Remote, or Rigging

Vehciles which have been rigger adapted can be controlled by Physical, Command, Remote or Rigging.

Following the above rule, this to me seems the most logical explanation, requiring a vehicle control rig to actually rig, which in my interpretation of the rules negates the -2 for remote control AND adds the VCR bonus.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Cain)

People have eyes.
Everything with eyes is people.

Drones have Pilot.
Everything with Pilot is Drones.

While both statements may in fact be true, they do not follow each other or require that the other be true.

"Drones have Pilot" can be cited in the book.

"Everything with Pilot is Drones" is not cited in the book.
Fortune
My take on it.

All vehicles have Pilots. Rigger Adaption includes (among other things) installing a type of upgraded Pilot that turns the vehicle into an actual drone.
Cheops
I think you are arguing one of the main problems with the SR4 rules which no one really ever talks about:

Sloppiness of term usage.

In SR3 you could only rig if you had a VCR. In SR4 anyone who has a sim module and a commlink can "jump into" a vehicle. They didn't want to get rid of riggers so they put the Control Rig cyberware in. However, they unfortunately use the term Rigging to refer to anyone jumping into or using a vehicle. It muddies the rigging rules.

CAD/CAM systems are able to run themselves. They have a pilot. The operator does not "jump into" the system in order to correct a problem, he just corrects the orders given to the system.

According to Cain, anyone who operates a CAD/CAM system should also have the Control Rig cyberware because they'd get a +2 dice pool bonus to monitor the manufacture of widgets. This is because according to him everything with a Pilot has to have a Rigger Adaptation.
Cain
If you have a coherent answer for why the BBB marks *some* vehicles as drones, and not others, and what the difference is between those two categories, then please enlighten us.

It makes way for future vehicles that *don't* have Pilots. Basically, it marks all vehicles as drones, but makes a distinction between passenger and unmanned craft. As Cheops pointed out, there's a sloppiness of term usage going on here. There's two definitions of "Drone" in use: a remote-piloted vehicle of any stripe, the current usage; and any vehicle with a Pilot, which is the Shadowrun usage.

All the vehicles in the BBB are rigger-adapted. Future vehicles may lack Pilots, meaning that they are not rigger-adapted. The BBB tries to be somewhat predictive of future supplements.

This states that its the Rigger adaptation that makes a drone NOT the pilot program, the fact that a rigger adaption gives a vehcile a pilot program does not mean this is the only way to get a pilot program.

Then please show us where the rules ell us how to install a Pilot program into a vehicle. Note that the rules are very explicit about how to upload every other program.

This take means that the rules in the skills and combat/vehcile section can be applied without any confusion

The rules can be applied without any more confusion than before, regardless of rather or not every vehicle in the book is rigger-adapted or not. The rules themselves are very confusing, but this doesn't add to it.

All vehicles have Pilots. Rigger Adaption includes (among other things) installing a type of upgraded Pilot that turns the vehicle into an actual drone.

There's no such thing as an "upgraded Pilot"; there's just Pilot Ratings. A rating 3 Pilot is a Rating 3 Pilot. Rigger adaptation does not give a vehicle a super-Pilot, it gies it an ordinary Pilot. Which, incidentally, is currently the only way to give a vehicle a Pilot.

According to Cain, anyone who operates a CAD/CAM system should also have the Control Rig cyberware because they'd get a +2 dice pool bonus to monitor the manufacture of widgets. This is because according to him everything with a Pilot has to have a Rigger Adaptation.

No. To get the full benefits of Rigger Adaptation, you need the control rig cyberware. But not having the cyberware doesn't mean you can't operate the vehicle. There's at least 3 ways to pilot a vehicle/drone, and Rigging is only one of them.

The ability to act autonomously is part of what defines a drone. You do not now, nor have you ever, have to have Control Rig cyberware in order to make use of a drone. So, it isn't the rigger adaptation that really makes a vehicle into a drone, it's the ability to act on its own to a limited degree. Which, incidentally, is exactly what Pilot programs *do*.
Nightwalker450
Here's some fuel for the fire... This is new input, not "yes it is/no it isn't"

Do vehicles require a rigger adaptation for sensors?

According to the "all BBB vehicles are drones" group, yes they do. What's rolled for sensor, pilot + autosoft, and the only way to get a pilot is through a rigger adaptation.

According to the "Rigger adaptation yields Pilot but Pilot doesn't require Rigger adaptation" group you have half your program already provided free with the vehicle, but your sensor is likely to suck anyways because most vehicles only have a rating 1 pilot.

[Opinion]
The way it is meant to be taken, is all vehicles have a pilot that is just a simple computer to handle the car, it tells you your fluids are low, tunes the radio to match your prefrences, sets the internal temperature to a reasonable setting, check grid guide for warnings, respond to Lone Star overriding the car and telling it to pull over, and follow grid guide routes from point A to point B. The Pilot is essentially User/OS, the vehicle itself is the commlink.

Once you add a rigger adaptation, then the vehicle is able to respond at a level that a rigger can put out. Then it can perform stunts greater than parallel parking and merging. The rigger adaptation are skill wires for the vehicle basically its not the commlink, just an add-on feature.
[/Opinion]
DireRadiant
Cain, all your arguments have the assumption that Pilot programs require Rigger Adaption.

The book clearly states the Rigger Adaption on Drones includes a Pilot program. This is where Drones are defined as non passenger vehicles.

The book also clearly states that Passenger Vehicles are not normally Rigger Adapted.

The book also shows all examples of Passenger vehicles have a Pilot program.

The connection that a Pilot program requires Rigger Adaption is not clearly stated.

The inference that all Passenger vehicles have Pilot and are also Rigger Adapted is not clearly stated. (In fact you'll note it is clearly indicated that all passenger vehicles are not Rigger Adapted)

You cannot logically infer all vehicles have pilots.
You cannot logically infer all vehicles are Rigger Adapted.
You cannot logically infer Pilots require Rigger Adaption to operate.

You may may make all or some of those assumptions.

On a side note, my personal opinion regarding Vehicle Control Rigs and Rigger Adaption, Rigger Adapation is required for anyone to use VR and Jump In. Control Rigs add + 2 Dice when Jumped In.
Ol' Scratch
The big difference between a "vehicle" and a "drone" in most uses of the terms is that a drone can't be manually piloted, whereas a vehicle can be either or.
Cain
The book also clearly states that Passenger Vehicles are not normally Rigger Adapted.

Not "normally", but all the vehicles in the book aren't necessarily representative of every vehicle on the road in 2070. They're vehicles of interest to shadowrunners and GM's. We don't know what a "normal" vehicle in 2070 looks like, we only know the stats on a small variety of vehicles. I don't need to tell you that if I punch "sedan" into Google or the Kelly Blue Book or something like that, I'd get hundreds of models back. Not just the one sample we get in the book.

Also, "normal" is a frequently misleading term. Normal often means standard, but I bet you don't have a "standard" transmission in your car. Normal cars wouldn't have armor, either, but most of the cars in the BBB do.

You cannot logically infer all vehicles have pilots.
You cannot logically infer all vehicles are Rigger Adapted.

Correct, and you'll note that I'm not saying that. I'm saying that all the ones in the BBB are rigger-adapted. Other vehicles, that we do not currently have stats for, may or may not be rigger-adapted and have Pilots. We'll know for certain when we get "Rigger 4" or the equivalent. In the meanwhile, the correct assumption to make is that Pilots are linked to rigger adaptation, and that rigger adaptation is linked to Pilots.

The way it is meant to be taken, is all vehicles have a pilot that is just a simple computer to handle the car, it tells you your fluids are low, tunes the radio to match your prefrences, sets the internal temperature to a reasonable setting, check grid guide for warnings, respond to Lone Star overriding the car and telling it to pull over, and follow grid guide routes from point A to point B. The Pilot is essentially User/OS, the vehicle itself is the commlink.

Once you add a rigger adaptation, then the vehicle is able to respond at a level that a rigger can put out. Then it can perform stunts greater than parallel parking and merging. The rigger adaptation are skill wires for the vehicle basically its not the commlink, just an add-on feature.

What you're describing would be, in SR3, the difference between an autonav and a Pilot program. Some of that has obvouly been held over as a legacy issue, probably by only half the writers on the Rigging section. However, in SR4, the distinction no longer exists. A Pilot of 1 is a Pilot of 1, rigger-adapted or not.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Cain @ Nov 12 2007, 04:07 PM)
In the meanwhile, the correct assumption to make is that Pilots are linked to rigger adaptation, and that rigger adaptation is linked to Pilots.

As long a you make it clear it is your assumption, not "what the book says".

Whether or not it is correct is to be seen, but currently we cannot know. That is the nature of all assumptions.
kigmatzomat
Y'all realize this is thread necromancy, right? This puppy was dead for nearly 3 months.

To rehash the rehashed:

Some people feel B requires A and since all vehicles have B therefore all vehicles have A.

Other people feel that B is typically bundled with A but not necessarily, so the existence of B on all vehicles doesn't mean they have A.

And the FAQ, to the best of my knowledge, dodges this question with karma thrown into a 12-die combat pool.

So until someone at Fanpro is willing to quash this grenade, have your GM publicly make a call for your group but realize that about 30% of the gamers out there might disagree (the remaining 40% are ambivalent or never thought about it)
Cain
As long a you make it clear it is your assumption, not "what the book says".

*shrug* We all assume that what we read and what the book says is identical. In this case, it's somewhat muddy, but the clear link is Pilot = Rigger Adaptation. The counterargument amounts to: "It doesn't say that explicitly." nyahnyah.gif Just judging by the rules threads here, everyone concludes that their assumptions equal "What the book says", just like I'm sure you do.

At any event, we must go with Occam's Razor. The most likely explaination is most likely what occured. In this case, we have facts and evidence linking Pilots to rigger adaptation. That makes it the more likely assumption; and until other facts prove otherwise, the correct one. grinbig.gif
Paradigm
Actually, using occam's razor the simplest interpretation would be that unless explicitly stated, it's an assumption, and thus not a fact.

Looking at the Vehicles and Drones in the street gear section, The drone section explicitly states that "All drones are equipped with rigger adapdation" while in that same section, before the vehicles the rigger adaptation is again explicitly listed as having to be added to a vehicle.

The fact that a matrix character can give a vehicle commands, for which a pilot rating would be needed to interpret them further clouds the issue, but it would seem to indicate that a pilot rating isn't neccesarily connected to the rigger adaptation.

Of course, every GM will decide this for themselves, but the rules, while a bit fuzzy, do not explicitly deny either of the two points of view. While I personally believe it's non-standard, I can see how some would see it as being standard, though the question to me would arise why they would've bothered to specifically list the adaptation set. I just hope that it'll be adressed in rigger 4, or arsenal, or whatever book will supplement vehicle rules.
Ustio
I'm at work at the mo and thus no BBB, but I was rereading the rules for vehicles in the combat section and theres a bit of text in there that helped shed some light someone want to have a quick gander at their BBB its in one of the first few paragrapghs in the section.
DigitalMage
Its funny, I haven't been on these forums for months and this topic I started is still on the front page smile.gif

I have skim read the rest of this thread and I can agree that although drones get their pilot rating by having rigger adaptation installed, this may not be the only way to get a pilot rating into a vehicle.

This would thus mean there is no contradiction between the vehicle listing which shows pilot ratings on non-drones. Also I assume that the need for a control rig to rig a drone is an error in the description of Rigger Adaptation.

5 Ways to Pilot a Vehicle in Shadowrun 4th Edition

1. Physically
The driver physically sits in the vehicle and uses the manual controls of the vehicle to pilot it.
Roll: Reaction + Vehicle Skill
Threshold: As normal
Initiative: As normal (Reaction + Intuition for un-augmented characters)
Passes: As normal (1 pass for un-augmented characters)

2. Physically + AR
The driver physically sits in the vehicle and uses the manual controls, augmented with the virtual controls of the vehicle to pilot it. This requires a commlink and associated peripherals.
Roll: Reaction + Vehicle Skill +1

SR4 p159:
Characters who are physically driving/piloting with the aid of augmented reality (they have subscribed to the vehicle as a service) receive a +1 dice pool modifier on all Vehicle Tests.

3. Remotely
The driver is not sitting at the manual controls of the vehicle but instead controls it remotely with a commlink over a wireless link.
Roll: Command program + Vehicle Skill

SR4 p220:
Remotely controlling a drone would take a Command + vehicle skill Test, and so on.
Note that remotely controlling a drone in this matter is different from rigging a drone (requiring you to ‘jump into’ the drone with full VR and ‘become’ the drone) or issuing commands to a drone (in which case it acts on its own accord).
SR4 p159:
If they are remotely controlling the vehicle, they receive no bonus.

4. Rigging
The act of using a simsense module (either cyberware or in a commlink) to be able to ‘jump into’ a vehicle and control it using full VR immersion. The rigger may be physically located in the vehicle and accessing it via a fibre optic link, or he can be controlling it remotely via a wireless connection (a commlink). This requires the vehicle to be rigger adapted meaning only drones and those vehicles explicitly adapted can be rigged.
Roll: Reaction + Vehicle Skill (+2 if driver has a Control Rig implant)
Initiative: Commlink’s Response + Intuition (+1 if Hot Sim)

SR4 p158:
If the controlling character is using full-immersion virtual reality to control the vehicle (this is called ‘rigging’ the vehicle), the vehicle operates on his Matrix Initiative (see p. 230).

SR4 p159:
Characters who are driving a vehicle through virtual reality (whether they are directly jacked in to the vehicle or piloting it remotely), receive a -1 threshold modifier to all Vehicle Tests.

SR4 p228:
A simsense module is required to access full VR. The sim module is a commlink accessory that you access with a datajack or trode net.

SR4 p230:
If you’re operating in cold sim virtual reality, your Matrix Initiative equals your commlink’s Response + your own Intuition attribute. You also get an extra Initiative Pass (two total).
If you’re running with hot sim in virtual reality mode, your Matrix Initiative equals your commlink’s Response + your own Intuition attribute + 1. You get two extra Initiative Passes (three total).

SR4 p331:
Control Rig: This implant harnesses the raw data-coordinating and synchronization power of the middle brain for the express purpose of directly manipulating rigged vehicles / drones. The control rig provides a +2 dice pool bonus on all Vehicle skill tests while the rigger is ‘jumped into’ a vehicle/drone via full virtual reality. This bonus does not apply to other drone manipulation through the Matrix.

SR4 p341:
Rigger Adaptation: When added to a vehicle, this ‘black box’ allows a character with a control rig (see p. 331) to rig the vehicle (see Rigging and Drones, p. 238), either through a direct fiberoptic cable or wireless link.

NOTE: The condition that the character has a control rig is believed to be an error, though this has not been officially confirmed. The basis of this assumption is that if having a control rig was the only was to rig a vehicle then the -1 threshold modifier for “full immersion� VR would be mentioned under the Control Rig description (it is not).

5. Issuing Commands
This involves the character issuing a command to a drone or vehicle with a Pilot rating. The vehicle or drone performs the task on its own.
Roll: Pilot + Maneuver autosoft
Initiative: Pilot + response
Passes: 3

SR4 p221:
While online, you can issue commands to an agent (p. 227), drone (p. 238), sprite (p. 234), or other device under your control with a Simple Action.

SR4 p238:
Drones acting on their own use their own Pilot and autosoft (see p. 239) ratings for all necessary tests, and act on their own Initiative (see p. 239).

SR4 p239:
Drone Initiative equals Pilot rating + Response, and they receive two extra Initiative Passes (three total).

SR4 p240:
Maneuver autosofts are the equivalent of vehicle skills - they assist a Pilot to maneuver itself better. [?] A drone with this autosoft rolls Pilot + Maneuver for Vehicle Tests (see p. 159).

Are the SR4 vehicles by default adapted for rigger control?
Page 238 states that it is Rigger Adaptation that provides a vehicle with a Pilot Rating, it also states that only drones usually come pre-adapted for rigger control.

SR4 p238:
The key difference that sets drones apart from ordinary vehicles is the rigger adaptation that provides drones with a Pilot program, which enables the drone to act independently of its controller to a limited degree.
All drones that are incapable of carrying passengers are usually automatically pre-adapted for rigger control. Passenger vehicles or larger passenger drones are not usually pre-adapted, but can be adapted quickly by the manufacturer, a mechanic, or even a rigger character (see Rigger Adaptation, p. 341).

However, this does not necessarily imply that the only way to get a Pilot rating is to be rigger adapted i.e. rigger adaptation may be only one of several methods to provide a vehicle with a pilot rating. This distinction is made because the vehicle listing on page 342 shows every vehicle has a Pilot rating of 1 or more!
Ryu
QUOTE (DigitalMage)
Its funny, I haven't been on these forums for months and this topic I started is still on the front page smile.gif

See, we missed you that much. Never go away again.
DigitalMage
Ahhh that is sweet of you. Unfortunately I find RPG.net to be my main forum of choice nowadays as it covers all games that I play (including Shadowrun).

Still I may pop in every so often smile.gif
Alphastream
QUOTE (DigitalMage)
1. Physically
The driver physically sits in the vehicle and uses the manual controls of the vehicle to pilot it. 
Roll: Reaction + Vehicle Skill

Ok, I finally took the time to read through this. I have a few comments.

This one looks good, no comments.

2. Physically + AR
The driver physically sits in the vehicle and uses the manual controls, augmented with the virtual controls of the vehicle to pilot it. This requires a commlink and associated peripherals.
Roll: Reaction + Vehicle Skill +1

I mainly agree. One question is whether Initiative should be Response + Intuition for the Rigger? That's my understanding of Initiative when using AR if you are using the matrix.

Also, I agree on the Maneuver skill (Reaction + Maneuver +1). What about these other actions:
Perception: If jacked in, you use Perception + Sensor. A remote drone uses Sensor + Clearsight. Would it be Perception + Intuition + 1 if using vehicle sensors?
Attack: Gunnery + Sensor if jacked in, Targeting + Pilot for remote drones. Would it be Gunnery + Agility + 1 if using vehicle weapon controls with AR?
Defense: Response if jacked in, remote drones use Defense + Pilot. No idea what this would be.
Damage Resistance: Body + Armor if jacked in, Drone's Body + Drone's armor if remote. No idea what this would be in AR.
Infiltration: I'm confused on what this would be for all three cases, though I made guesses in my other post.

Any ideas?

3. Remotely
The driver is not sitting at the manual controls of the vehicle but instead controls it remotely with a commlink over a wireless link.
Roll: Command program + Vehicle Skill

I must say, I had not thought of this scenario. So, does that mean all applicable skills are Command + skill? See, I thought you would use the command program to issue a command, then the drone(s) would use their own capabilities (Maneuver + Pilot for maneuvering).

Perception: Would you use Command + Perception instead of the drone's Sensor + Clearsight because you are commanding it actively?
Attack: Would you use Command + Gunnery instead of the drone's Targeting + Pilot because you are actively commanding?
Etc., etc.
I think I like using the drone's capabilities better than using the Command program. Thoughts?

4. Rigging
The act of using a simsense module (either cyberware or in a commlink) to be able to ‘jump into’ a vehicle and control it using full VR immersion.  The rigger may be physically located in the vehicle and accessing it via a fibre optic link, or he can be controlling it remotely via a wireless connection (a commlink).  This requires the vehicle to be rigger adapted meaning only drones and those vehicles explicitly adapted can be rigged.
Roll: Reaction + Vehicle Skill (+2 if driver has a Control Rig implant)

I believe that when rigging, you would use Response + Vehicle. This is per either the FAQ or the SR4 book, I believe. Similarly, for Attack you would use Gunnery + Sensor, for Perception you would use Perception + Sensor, etc. The ability, such as Reaction, is not used.

Also, per the FAQ, you get +4 dice (+2 for Hot Sim, +2 for Control Rig). The -1 threshold is correct as you noted.

5. Issuing Commands
This involves the character issuing a command to a drone or vehicle with a Pilot rating.  The vehicle or drone performs the task on its own.
Roll: Pilot + Maneuver autosoft

No issues here, just that I think this is the same as #3 for almost if not all cases.

Let me know what you all think. I would like to nail these down as much as possible.

Thanks!
Nightwalker450
Remotely is basically remote control, the pilot isn't doing anything. You are driving or targeting, the system is responding to your actions not the pilots. But command only works for physical actions I'd say you can't "Command" perception. It might be command + sensor in this scenario of remoting a camera. Most times this is a complex action.

Issuing commands is only a simple action per command whether issued to one drone or army of drones. These are less detailed then remoting. You tell drone (swarm) to return home, or target the sammy. They do the work you tell 'em what to do and forget them till its time to issue another order.

I'll reiterate though that there's supposed to be a -2 to dicepool due to "remotely controlling" This I believe is listed where its explaining command in reference to the med drone. I need to start bringing my SR4 book with me to work nyahnyah.gif
Ryu
AR uses physical initiative, VR is Response+Intuition(cold)+1(on hot VR).
StealthBanana
Cain: Normal cars wouldn't have armor, either, but most of the cars in the BBB do.

Actually, armor is in shadowrun is in terms of providing protection to metahumans. What I mean by that is, a car has armor by virtue of it being a lot harder to damage than flesh and bone.

The rules for the structure of different materials in the BBB merely reflects a basic example of that type of material. Bullet proofed glass, for example, most definately would not have a structure of 1.

Thus I would infer that the armor granted to vehicles in the BBB represents engineering choices designed to protect the car from damage sustained from running into shit, which incidentally helps a whole lot against bullets, too. Yeah, you could say that the rules for object hardness and structure represent that, but I think that hardness/structure just represents the basic resilience of the material. A steel beam wrought into a frame for a car and created to absorb a certain amount of impact should be armor, rather than increased resilience.

I have no idea if any of that made sense, as I'm posting from work and trying to hide from my boss. On that note, I must flee.
Cain
If that were the case, passengers would get the benefit of the vehicle's armor when the vehicle crashes. They don't: "Characters resist ramming damage wth half their Impact armor (round up).", p 160. Crashes are treated as if they were rams.
Alphastream
QUOTE (Nightwalker450)
Remotely is basically remote control, the pilot isn't doing anything. You are driving or targeting, the system is responding to your actions not the pilots. But command only works for physical actions I'd say you can't "Command" perception. It might be command + sensor in this scenario of remoting a camera. Most times this is a complex action.

Issuing commands is only a simple action per command whether issued to one drone or army of drones. These are less detailed then remoting. You tell drone (swarm) to return home, or target the sammy. They do the work you tell 'em what to do and forget them till its time to issue another order.

I'll reiterate though that there's supposed to be a -2 to dicepool due to "remotely controlling" This I believe is listed where its explaining command in reference to the med drone. I need to start bringing my SR4 book with me to work nyahnyah.gif

I think there are two things that can be argued to be remote control.

One is issuing a command, and the drone uses its own capabilities to carry out the order. This is the more likely scenario, and what the book really covers. A test like perception is Sensor + Clearsight. This is what the original poster, DigitalMage, is addressing in #5 (Issuing Commands).

The second is issuing a command and manipulating the drone actively, but without jumping into the drone. The rules are on p220, and seem more appropriate for non-drone devices or for doing something that the rules don't otherwise cover with drones, such as the example of controlling a drone to fix a car. Command is used to reflect the difficulty of the operation, I think. Otherwise, I think the appropriate check would be the drone's capabilities, as covered in #5, Issuing Commands.

Thoughts?
Alphastream
QUOTE (Ryu)
AR uses physical initiative, VR is Response+Intuition(cold)+1(on hot VR).

Yep, you are right. Thanks!

I think that makes initiative work as follows:

1. Physically

2. Physically + AR

3. Remotely
If controlling via AR while guiding the drone/vehicle remotely to perform a task not otherwise covered by the drone/vehicles capabilities, the drone would go on the rigger's initiative. In AR, this would be the rigger's physical initiative (Reaction + Intuition with 1 Pass for un-augmented characters).

If controlling remotely via AR and not actively guiding, see #5, Issuing Commands. If the drone is performing the task remotely without the rigger, the drone should probably act on its own initiative using Pilot + Response with 3 passes.

4. Rigging

5. Issuing Commands

I think the main issue is still that p.220 and the whole Remote control bit isn't appropriate for drones but rather for other devices or in situations where the drone lacks the capabilities and has to be directed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012