Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sniper rifle power to high vs hvy machine gun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Krotiez
The M134 is used on helicopters and ships mount a Phalanx Mk 15 Close-In Weapons System with fires 20mm rounds (on US ships) or 25 or 30mm rounds on some designs.

[Edit: Correction. The Mk 15 CIWS consists of Mk 16 Weapons Groups (which are modified M61 Vulcan 6-barrel gatling cannons), Mk 339 local-control panels, and one Mk 340 remote-control panel.

In other words every Mk 15 CIWS has a way to control each gun locally and a way to control them remotely, perhaps from the Combat Information Center (CIC.)

For those of you curious, Mk is just short for mark.
mfb
he edited! no fair!
KarmaInferno
Nyahh nyahh!

Hmm...

Since we're mentioning miniguns, my favorite is the 30mm jobber on the nose of the old Warthog attack aircraft.

Saw a video once of a Warthog completely reducing a tank to shreds with a long burst.

Damn cool.

That would be the (in)famous GAU-8/A Avenger 30mm gatling cannon.
Austere Emancipator
You can see a clip of the GAU-8/A plowing a field here. The sound alone is pretty disturbing.

For some reason the US Navy is all about 20mm gatlings (M61A1s, as Krotiez mentioned), while the Russian Navy is hot for 30mm gatlings (AK-630s).
FlakJacket
Jesus wept, check out the picture of one laid out against a VW Beattle. It's not so much an aircraft weapon as an aircraft designed and built around the gun. smile.gif

As for troll portable mini-guns, a while back there was thread where Raygun or one of the resident gunheads worked out what size calibre round they could fire and suffer the recoil equal to a regular human firing a 9mm round. From what I recall it was a fairly hefty bullet so I could easily see 7.62 as being little more than 5.56 for humans. Where you're going to stick the battery to run it or the truck full of ammunition you'd get through is another matter.
gfen
Here's where you start to lose any sort of credibility that you had.  Knowledge isn't something to be belittled, regardless of whether you choose to use it.

The problem is that much of the knowledge that you all want so badly is maimed and ridiculous, taken from books, gungho Internet warriors, and other halfass sources which in the end only serve to make someone LOOK smart, when in fact the facts they regurgitate have little to no merit.

And here's where you completely fall apart.  Guess what?  I would wager that quite a few DSers play D&D D20.

Fine. No issue with that, except for I challenge you to not tell me that D&D has devolved into a game with its primary focus being a way to provide PCs with quick powerups and fancy special effects.

The fact that you're implying that all posts on the subject of D&D are "nonsense about toys and powerups"

Not all posts, and not even all D&D D20 players, but the game isn't the same. Hasn't been for a long time. The game cater towards 13yo video game players, not its former target audience. Video games are about fantastic special toys, things to give you the advantage, not about developing a persona and taking it somewhere.

Then, you finish it off by insulting everyone on the forums.  Nice.

Not all of them, just those that choose to fall into my blanket statement.

mfb
QUOTE (gfen)
The problem is that much of the knowledge that you all want so badly is maimed and ridiculous, taken from books, gungho Internet warriors, and other halfass sources which in the end only serve to make someone LOOK smart, when in fact the facts they regurgitate have little to no merit.

so, because there are lots of dumbass gun nuts, the pursuit of firearms knowledge is worthless? what kind of logic is that? i mean, thanks for the heads-up, and all. good thing you were here to tell us that there are some guys who will claim to be firearms expert but actually wouldn't know which end goes bang. we were unaware.
The Stainless Steel Rat
QUOTE (gfen)
...much of the knowledge that you all want so badly is maimed and ridiculous, taken from books...

Yes, all books are full of LIES!

Never was much a one for no book learnin' meself.
Austere Emancipator
US DoD official publications are all fact, no heart.
eidolon
QUOTE (qfen)

They've already chimed in with their "less than accurate" sources. My "challenge"? Do better.

Fine. No issue with that, except for I challenge you to not tell me that D&D has devolved into a game with its primary focus being a way to provide PCs with quick powerups and fancy special effects.

Okay. I won't. Challenge overcome.

Not all posts, and not even all D&D D20 players, but the game isn't the same. Hasn't been for a long time. The game cater towards 13yo video game players, not its former target audience. Video games are about fantastic special toys, things to give you the advantage, not about developing a persona and taking it somewhere.

If that's how you choose to run/play the game. If not, it's not.

Not all of them, just those that choose to fall into my blanket statement.

ohplease.gif
Jagermech
I realize that I've come late to the topic, but for arguments sake, how often do you see a HMG acualy using a 10S Damage Code.

Honestly, as a rigger, if I'm putting less than ten rounds into my target (at a 19D damage code) I'm just not trying. smokin.gif

Granted, armor penetration is a concern, but how often do you see ten points of hardend armor on a target.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Jagermech)
I realize that I've come late to the topic, but for arguments sake, how often do you see a HMG acualy using a 10S Damage Code.

Honestly, as a rigger, if I'm putting less than ten rounds into my target (at a 19D damage code) I'm just not trying. smokin.gif

Granted, armor penetration is a concern, but how often do you see ten points of hardend armor on a target.

Plus, if you're using a HMG, nothings more gratifying than pouring the lead out. With something that heavy, c'mon have that stream of lead pour out, it's what it's made for! Otherwise it's kinda a waste, like how sports car are made to be out and about roaring down the straightaways... not just collecting dust... grinbig.gif*

* - Sorry, it's sorta referencing to that one Ghost in the Shell episode (1st Gig) where Batou sees all those sports car in the garage of a mansion. Kudos to those who know which episode I'm talking about. The one with the robot/cyber watch dogs. lol.
TheNarrator
QUOTE (Jagermech)

Actually, it only takes 5 points of hardened vehicle armor to render a 10S HMG impotent. I've got quite a bit of familiarity with the vehicle armor rules because I used to play a rigger with an Ares Guardian and I rendered a lot of man-portable weapons impotent. smile.gif

But yes, I had tons of anti-recoil set up and generally fired ten round bursts of HMG for 20D killing power. I've also seen powerful drones easily destroyed in a single burst of AV ammo from an SMG. Balancing drones is its own sort of headache.

And none of this changes the fact that an HMG and the Barrett sniper rifle both fire the same .50 BMG round, and thus should be doing the same amount of damage, even for a single shot. But that's just the way the rules are. Personally I'll take SR3's little foibles over some of the other RPGs I've seen. (Like one's ability to defend oneself in melee being entirely based on what they're wearing in D&D, so a 1st level fighter and 20th level fighter are equally easy to hit when naked. Or one's accuracy with a ranged weapon being immaterial to damage, so a shot with an attack roll of 15 that just sorta grazes them or 50 that's clean through their chest still does the same 1d8 damage.) The canon rules work well enough to have some unrealistic fun, and for when we want more realism there's Raygun's totally awesome ammo and gun stats. (Which I'd really like to play with someday.)
Taran
QUOTE (TheNarrator)
(Like one's ability to defend oneself in melee being entirely based on what they're wearing in D&D, so a 1st level fighter and 20th level fighter are equally easy to hit when naked.)

Actually, this isn't true. Evasiveness in D&D is modeled through a combination of armor class and hit poi...

Sorry, spinal reflex. biggrin.gif

I always forget that hardened armor works against base damage code when deciding whether or not to ignore an attack. It's because Immunity to Normal Weapons works the other way, I think (doesn't it?). Since armor is so easy to get, it seems like machine guns are for soft targets only.
FlakJacket
Well when you're getting up to .50 BMG calibre and vehicles with an armour rating of 5, considering that some military armoured personel carriers only have a rating of 7, you're pretty much into the high end security/military category. Besides in that case you just use something like Anti-Vehicle rounds with it since it's only bullets that large than can realistically use sabots in real life IIRC.
Crusher Bob
Well, my handy dandy reference says that 12.7mm will penetrate ~30mm of RHA out to 175M, 25mm out to 625 meters, and 23mm out to 1250 meters.

In contrast 7.62 will do 25mm at 0 meters, 15mm out to 375 meters, and 8mm out to 625 meters.

The advantage of the HMG isn't just it's greater penetration, but its greater penetration at range.

For reference, the same source lists the armor equivalted of an M113 at 20mm front, 16mm sides and rear.

A Bradley at 40mm front, 30mm sides, 20mm rear

A BMP2 at 37mm front, 18 sides, 17 rear.

A BRDM at 15mm front, 10mm sides, 10mm rear.

This means that your HMG retains its light anti-armor ability all the way out past 1000 meters, but the MMG only has light anti-armor ability at point blank range.
Ed_209a
Crusher, did you mean that your source converted the actual thickness of whatever type of armor the vehicles use into a RHA equivalent?

I ask becuase those thicknesses mesh with my first-hand experiences with some of those vehicles. I don't think RHA is used much anymore. There are stronger materials available, even without looking at composites.
Crusher Bob
Yes, the source gives estimates of RHA equivalent vs KE and HEAT attacks.
Critias
Just curious, but what's this "source," Crusher? It sounds like a handy book (or whatever) to have around.
mmu1
I don't know of a specific all-encompassing internet source, but you can get some hits on related topics by Googling "mass efficiency+RHA".
Austere Emancipator
Are the penetration figures for a straight angle impact, or perhaps for 30 degrees or something else? It looks like the 7.62x51mm in question is the M993 round, since the steel core M61 has a nominal RHA penetration at 100 meters of 7mm -- although, even the M993 only claims to penetrate 12mm RHA at 100 meters. I dare not guess what the .50 BMG cartridge in question is.

MBT armor coverages are easily available on the net. I guess APCs don't generate enough interest to have a lot of sites of their own.
mmu1
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Feb 6 2006, 11:55 AM)
Are the penetration figures for a straight angle impact, or perhaps for 30 degrees or something else? It looks like the 7.62x51mm in question is the M993 round, since the steel core M61 has a nominal RHA penetration at 100 meters of 7mm -- although, even the M993 only claims to penetrate 12mm RHA at 100 meters. I dare not guess what the .50 BMG cartridge in question is.

Those .50 cal penetration claims are pretty much in line with those for a M903 SLAP, aren't they?
Austere Emancipator
M903 is supposed to penetrate 34mm RHA at 500 meters at a straight angle. If Crusher Bob's figures are penetration at, say, a 30 degree angle, then it might well be the M903. Of course, all RHAe is not exactly "equivalent", which might explain the different results.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (gfen)

Some people tend to focus to the point of detriment on the inconsequential, and in turn then have to fill a board clogged with a glut of posts explaining an already oft complex game with meaningless drivel which in turn only feeds the hordes of barely literate D&D D20 players more nonsense with regards to useless power-up like toys in lieu of them focussing on things like play, plot, and story.

So, simulationist gaming is incorrect, and the only correct gaming is White Wolf style gaming.

Thanks for letting me know. You've really saved me from error. Hence, I shall renounce Shadowrun and play only...White Wolf!
eidolon
Blech. Now I have to go wash out my eyes with Listerine.

wink.gif
Crusher Bob
I'm looking at the unit database for an earlier version of tacops. Get the demo.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
I'm looking at the unit database for an earlier version of tacops. Get the demo.

Thanks for the link.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (gfen @ Feb 3 2006, 04:24 PM)

I find this to be untrue about video games. A quick look through gamefaqs shows 'challange' FAQs for many popular games which, frankly, are equivilant to having an uncybered mundane human take on Lowfyr with nothing but a holdout pistol.

From desperatly running around and slicing up an El Gigante's shin in a knife&handgun only run of Resident Evil 4 to the complete mindfucking rules exploitation required to fight Penance in a No Sphere Grid game of Final Fantasy X International to beating the 20 year old high score of an aging Galaga arcade cabinet, video games are about the challange.

There are some people who want a challange in D&D and in Shadowrun, as well. Some people want challanging puzzles to solve and twisted conspiricies to unravel. Other people want the challange to come in the form of clever statistics manipulation and rules exploitation.
Wounded Ronin
Hyzmarca is right. I started playing mostly mundanes in SR towards the end of my time playing it in part because I was being emphasized by some video games like Metal Gear which are at least partially about making due with nothing for long periods of time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012