Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: House Rules, Ammo questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Deadjester
Greetings all, my first time here and I have enjoyed reading the fourms and have seen quit a few intelligent people here discussing this and that so this seemed the place to go to.

My group and I have played Shadowrun on and off over the years and have now bought SR4. We think SR4 is a great improvment over the previous versions but still needs some tweeking like any game and so we are working on a few of our own.

We had done quit a bit so far and may post them later to see what everyone thinks but for now I have this question.

Right now we are working on ammo and I was talking to a x merc friend I know about the Explosive rounds and it raised a few questions for us.

It describes the explosive rounds as a solid slug that fragments and explodes on impact. Well it can't be solid by its very nature, its more or less like a hollow point with some explosive in it from what I was told by my friend.

So these are my questions.

1) Should a explosive round be off of Ballistic or Impact Armor?

2) Based off of Ballistic, shouldnt the stats look more like:
a) Explosive rounds: +1 AP, +1 DV
b) Ex Explosive rounds: +1 AP, +2 DV

From what I have read and talked to some military people I know, I don't see how it would have such a AP mod as it does. It would seem the explosive, fragmentation part would be more damage then it would be AP, and would expend its force on the armor and then the body.

Also from what I know of AP rounds, shouldnt any type of AP (APDS) rounds actualy reduce the damage by -1 DV while reducing the AP value? Since they more or less pass right through you without any fragmentation or bounce effects going on within the body?

We are debating of making all rounds on the ballistic chart for ease of ammo comparison and leaving impact for all else.

Such as if Flechette was based off ballistic, it might look like +3 AP, +2 DV and be very cheap and availability. Not everyone shoud be walking around in armor 24/7 and would make it effective ammo for those that are not.

Also, things arent always fair or equal on give and take when it comes to tech, somtimes the balancing factor is in the cost and availability which I think many forget.

Looking foward to hearing your thoughts on this.

Deadjester

Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Deadjester)
It would seem the explosive, fragmentation part would be more damage then it would be AP, and would expend its force on the armor and then the body.

Depends on exactly how you see the explosive rounds as working. If they are supposed to simply explode and fragment the moment they hit something, then yes, they'd probably be worse against most types of armor than straight FMJ rounds, and in fact would likely be worse against any target barring massive advances in explosive device technology.

But they might also be designed to remain rigid through armor and only detonate some inches inside the target, in which case they'd penetrate armor just as well in addition to possibly being more effective through armor.

They could also be more complex designs, like the Mk 211 Mod 0 Multi-Purpose round which combines armor piercing, high explosive and incendiary effects. This would also require some pretty amazing new materials to make feasible for smaller and lower velocity projectiles -- the Mk 211 Mod 0 fires a bullet 3 times as heavy as what "Heavy Pistols" would, and at well over twice the velocity, which is what allows the pyrotechnical initiation of the explosive to work and leaves far more space for the explosive substance than you'd have in, say, any pistol or assault rifle bullet.

For large caliber rifles, though, the "multi-purpose" round type would explain both the increased armor penetration and the increased damage caused.

QUOTE (Deadjester)
Also from what I know of AP rounds, shouldnt any type of AP (APDS) rounds actualy reduce the damage by -1 DV while reducing the AP value? Since they more or less pass right through you without any fragmentation or bounce effects going on within the body?

This depends on what you see as being "standard ammunition", and how far you see bullet design technology as having advanced.

In the military, standard ammunition is usually FMJ, which as a general rule doesn't flatten or fragment when it hits humans -- there are some exceptions to this rule, like the US military M193 and M855 5.56x45mm FMJ rounds, but these are a bit too wonky to simulate within SR rules. Full-caliber armor piercing ammunition will create wound cavities comparable to non-deforming FMJ rounds.

If you allow for FMJ rounds that also fragment once they hit tissue (but not when they hit something more solid, like armor), then it's not a huge leap to assume that armor piercing rounds can do that too. High velocity projectiles can function differently when penetrating thin, rigid layers and deep, soft layers.

If you assume standard ammunition uses some kind of deforming bullet, then, uhh, you'll have all kinds of trouble justifying various ammo types. But then I guess you already do, with such sillyness as flechette and APDS for assault rifles etc.

Whatever standard ammunition is in your games, you can argue for APDS to do less damage, since it usually uses a significantly smaller diameter projectile. Problem is, APDS (or SLAP, saboted light armor piercing) ammunition is very rare for anything smaller than 12.7x99mm, non-existant below .30-caliber rifles, because of how small the projectile ends up as being, inaccuracy/rifling twist rates, case capacity, feed reliability, etc. For anything smaller than that, armor piercing rounds are full caliber as a rule.
Sigfried McWild
Regarding flechette rounds, see other threads like the SHP 1.3 and slivergun ones for arguments about why it is sick.

Given the mods you suggest flechette would be a straight +1DV over normal ammo with a slightly higher chance of being stun damage instead of physical, on average (each point of armour reduces damage by 1/3 on average).
Brahm
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
They could also be more complex designs, like the Mk 211 Mod 0 Multi-Purpose round which combines armor piercing, high explosive and incendiary effects. This would also require some pretty amazing new materials to make feasible for smaller and lower velocity projectiles -- the Mk 211 Mod 0 fires a bullet 3 times as heavy as what "Heavy Pistols" would, and at well over twice the velocity, which is what allows the pyrotechnical initiation of the explosive to work and leaves far more space for the explosive substance than you'd have in, say, any pistol or assault rifle bullet.

The really screwy thing is that ExEx ammo is cheaper than armour piercing. Although if you roll a Glitch with ExEx ammo that is bad because a rounds jams or something and blows up in your face.

My GM did his own ammo number modification, and he refers to them by model numbers. I don't know exactly what the numbers are, I haven't asked because usually my character doesn't shoot things. Maybe I should ask him for them.

I assume they are at least a bit closer to current ammo, since he is ex-military. But then I haven't seen his dischange papers, so maybe he was just a janitor? He looks like a guy that knows his way around a mop. biggrin.gif
Deadjester
Hmm I don't know how I missed some of that logic the first time but I did and has given me food for thought for the second time around.

I am curious now if DV should not be add till AFTER penetration is rolled for. That way AP and DV would be more separated in their applied values.

So it would look like:

Roll to hit and work out result
If target is hit, then see if round penetrates the armor
If round penetrates, then add DV of the round to the DV of what was rolled and work out results.
Sigfried McWild
I like that idea, at the moment +1DV is for all purposes much better than +1 AP, this would balance things a bit (not much though since stun damage at the moment is preferable to physical damage since the stun track is likely to be shorter than the physical one on most characters)
Shrike30
Digging way into the realms of sci-fi here...

My recollection of how the movie Aliens explained pulse rifle ammunition was as "explosive, light armor piercing." You essentially had a jacketed round with a tiny explosive charge in the base and a penetrator at the core. On impact, the charge would detonate, driving the penetrator forwards (which would aid in armor penetration, if the slug had impacted armor) and blowing the jacket apart into fragments (which would aid in wounding, if the slug had impacted a "soft" or unarmored target). The Smartgun round was functionally almost identical (although slightly longer and heavier), except it had the option to be fused on firing, either for immediate detonation on impact (functioning like the standard pulse rifle round), or for a delay (which would allow the round to penetrate lighter armors or surfaces that wouldn't stop it without the charge detonating immediately, reducing it's effectiveness against lightly armored troops or targets behind light cover).

Way too advanced for Shadowrun? Well, we've got nanotech, the Matrix, and cyberwear. It doesn't seem too ludicrous to me, especially when you look at how expensive a single round of explosive (or EXEX) ammunition is.
Austere Emancipator
What you're describing is basically like the multi-purpose round I mentioned earlier. The Mk 211 Mod 0 penetrates, explodes, ignites and fragments when it hits a rigid target, and it's been around for quite some time now. In itself, this is no big feat.

The problem is that if you do the same in an assault rifle projectile, let alone a handgun projectile, there is not nearly enough volume for the explosive and the incendiary substances. The Mk 211 Mod 0 has 0.84 grams of Composition A-4 explosive and 0.85 grams of an incendiary mixture in it -- downscale that into a 7.62x51mm projectile (at less than 1/4th the mass), and you get an insignificant explosive and substandard incendiary effects, as well as reduced penetration compared to a full-caliber tungsten carbide penetrator.

Here is a diagram of the Mk 211 Mod 0 on Raygun's site. Imagine that at 0.6x the diameter and length, and 0.2x the weight. It'd be a substandard armor piercing round, it'd be a completely ineffective incendiary round, the explosive effect would be worthless, and terminal effect against material or personnel targets would not be increased over what you get with a full-caliber AP round like the M993; yet it would be way more expensive than the M993. And the only way to get over this problem would be to invent new kinds of explosives which outperform the current ones by at least a factor of 2 in terms of equivalent volume for impulse output. At the rate at which better explosives have been developed for the last 150 years, that'd take some 350 more years.
Shrike30
The main difference between the two round types (and, theoretically, SR's explosive ammo) is that you're only trying for an explosive effect, no incendiary. Half of the combustibles in the round you're referencing are used for the incendiary effect, which probably doesn't contribute nearly as much power as the A-4 being used.

I'm not trying to argue that this round is feasible today. Obviously, it's not. The main change for Shadowrun is the advance of technology by 65 years. Yes, this is a piece of tech which, while you could BUILD it today, wouldn't be effective. SR3 had handheld laser weapons and "cutter" nanotech straight out of The Diamond Age. Explosives which have doubled their mass-to-power ratio don't seem like nearly as much of a stretch.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Shrike30)
Half of the combustibles in the round you're referencing are used for the incendiary effect, which probably doesn't contribute nearly as much power as the A-4 being used.

Replacing the zirconium mixture with more Comp A-4 would give you a whopping fourth of a gram of explosive, under a third of what's in the Raufoss .50 bullets. That wouldn't help a lot, especially when it's detonating behind a massive 40gr, 0.15" diameter penetrator.

QUOTE (Shrike30)
SR3 had handheld laser weapons and "cutter" nanotech straight out of The Diamond Age. Explosives which have doubled their mass-to-power ratio don't seem like nearly as much of a stretch.

A handheld laser weapon is much more likely to come out in 75 years than überexplosives. Since TNT and dynamite were invented in the 1860s, impulse output per volume in high explosives has not increased by more than some 30% (C-4 has a 1.19 TNT equivalent weight for impulse and about 10% higher density). Of course, a sudden 100% increase is always possible, but it would require an immense breakthrough in this area -- and it would have a huge effect on all kinds of weapon systems, such as grenade launchers and artillery.
Deadjester
Ok after reading some forums, I have come up with something I want to play test using some house rules I have been talking over with Razorback.

The idea behind them is based off of several factors, logic, what I call the Heroic system and just plane flavor which is very important.

I have made several changes that I hope stay within the system enough it will not have sever effects down the road in other places.

The changes for play test 1 are as follows:

Pistols were changed so that they look like Light 4 DV, Med 5 DV, Hvy 6 DV.
Resist is now a flat 6, Damage boxes are 10 + body
DV from Ammo and various types of burst fire are added after penetration has been established for damage purposes.
Ammo that will be used will be Regular since that is considered standard for balance purpoes.
Armor has been changed in the way that after penitration has been established, a flat automatic resist rate based on half the armors value will be used.
Resist check is no longer based on the body but a factor of 6 ( rolled ) for resistance to be combined with the flat armor auto resist. (This being based on that the sheer of idea of resist being based upon body, is, well lunacy and very limiting in nature. In a earlier version of SR, we had a Troll with a bigger body then a whale in the creatures books. I feel the armor idea of how they do penitration combined with a flat 10 + body opens up the field for man and machine in gaming.

Now how it looks all broken down.

I will try it in three modes with two types of armor.

In first set it will be a avg joe in skills wearing a Armor Vest 6/4 using a Med pistol and Reg Ammo.

Then I will scale them up as above avg joe and then kick ass joe in skills.

Then start over again using a Armored Jacket 8/6.

Combat will look like:

Avg joe vs avg joe up till the point its avg joe vs kick ass joe.

Combat:

Attack check: Agil + Skill vs Reaction
Armor pen check
If armor is pen, damage will be 5 DV + staging from check + DV from ammo or other factors
Resist damage will be flat 3 if Armor Vest, flat 4 if Armored Jacket ( half the armors value ) + roll a resist of 6 for standard flesh forms (humans, meta humans, animals etc)
After a flat 3 or 4 is added to the rolled resist check of 6 is done, minus it from the DV of the attack and if any is left over apply it to the damage of the victim (max damage able to be taken is 10 + body with with the condition mod now being in box sets of 4 since the damage able to be taken is now bigger)

The idea behind this is two fold, we fell that using body as a resist mod was a weakness in the old system held over to this system and limits it greatly.

Also, from a few play tests of the SR4s system we has seen some results from damage take that we feel can adversly effect the Flavor of combat.

Damage taken in a single round can be tiny to splatter, while realistic could still be harmful to the flavor depending on view.

Damage taken is not just how good the attacker rolls but also how badly the defender rolls and combined, a char that took a few hrs to make could be wiped in meer moments.

By adding a flat resist check from the armor and a various rolled resist of a static 6, the idea is to somwhat even even out the damage so that while it might get nasty, hopefully there will be few splatter effects unless sombody is using a BFG then you just SOL

And if it doesn't work, well time for revision and play test 2 biggrin.gif

But the idea behind it is hopefully logic combined with flavor to reach a happy medium.

Deadjester
Shrike30
A handheld laser weapon is much more likely to come out in 75 years than überexplosives.

Isn't that kind of dependent upon battery technology making amazing leaps forwards, way beyond what most people expect to be feasible in the next 65 years?

Or nano-paste disguises... are these things really going to be so common and so advanced in the next few decades that you're going to be able to buy a *jar* of it in costume shops?

Then there's things like the Matrix, t-birds in private hands, megacorporations having extraterritorial rights within government borders, simsense, augmented reality being an everyday thing...

It seems a little odd to accept a world where all these things have happened, and take issue with explosives being a little more potent than you'd like them to be.

I'm curious... my understanding of some of the theory behind explosives development is that something like C4 wouldn't necessarily have to be extremely potent by mass/volume, due to the fact that a lot of it's uses involve someone carrying it somewhere and placing it, while more advanced explosives (and theoretically more powerful) would be developed for putting into things like missiles, where every cubic centimeter of space and every gram of weight is at a premium. I'm curious... what is the "TNT Equivalent" of some of these more advanced explosives?
Brahm
The fundemantal problem is that you get about 30:1 conversion of a solid to a gas. This doesn't really change much. The best you can do is get more energy out of the material, and we know fairly well the theoretical limits in chemical bonds. So all we are doing is trying to squeeze a little extra bit out while keeping the explosive material stable until we want it to go boom.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Shrike30)
Isn't that kind of dependent upon battery technology making amazing leaps forwards, way beyond what most people expect to be feasible in the next 65 years?

Would you care to compare the development of battery capacity per volume and mass in the last 180 years to the figures I mentioned above about equivalent volume for impulse?

QUOTE (Shrike30)
Or nano-paste disguises... are these things really going to be so common and so advanced in the next few decades that you're going to be able to buy a *jar* of it in costume shops?

Miraculous nanotechnology (like cyber- and biotechnology) is kind of central to the whole Shadowrun world. Plus there is at least some credibility to nanomaterials becoming more common -- though this particular example (which I am unfamiliar with) might indeed be ridiculous.

QUOTE (Shrike30)
Then there's things like the Matrix, t-birds in private hands, megacorporations having extraterritorial rights within government borders, simsense, augmented reality being an everyday thing...

Again, these are central to Shadowrun (apart from t-birds, which really are silly and unrealistic), some of them to the cyberpunk genre in general. Basically, the megacorps, the matrix and augmented reality don't need to make any more sense than magic -- it's central to the whole world, so it has to be there no matter how ridiculous.

Überexplosives don't. Which is not to say they can't be, just that they are very unlikely, and would have implications far beyond just explosive ammunition for handguns.

QUOTE (Shrike30)
I'm curious... my understanding of some of the theory behind explosives development is that something like C4 wouldn't necessarily have to be extremely potent by mass/volume, due to the fact that a lot of it's uses involve someone carrying it somewhere and placing it, while more advanced explosives (and theoretically more powerful) would be developed for putting into things like missiles, where every cubic centimeter of space and every gram of weight is at a premium. I'm curious... what is the "TNT Equivalent" of some of these more advanced explosives?

I have not heard of any "more advanced explosives" for use in missiles or other ranged weaponry. For example, Tritonal, used in several new smart bombs and missiles as a more powerful explosive filler, is just TNT mixed with powdered aluminum and has a lower TNT equivalent volume for impulse than C-4 -- in fact, it generates 4% less impulse per unit of mass than TNT. It has 1.08x the density of TNT, about 1.07 TNT equivalent weight for pressure (C-4 has 1.37) and a lower detonation velocity than TNT, much lower than C-4 (6.5km/s vs 7km/s and ~8km/s, respectively).

I'm not trying to mislead you here. I was pretty surprised myself that after some math C-4 came out on top of the impulse per volume list, beating all the RDX, TNT, PETN and other explosive mixtures I could find these values for. There are a few explosive substances for which I couldn't track down all the relevant attributes which might come close or surpass C-4 -- Composition H-6, for example, has a higher TNT equivalent weight for pressure than C-4 (1.38 vs. 1.37), but it has a worse equivalent weight for impulse and I couldn't find its density anywhere.

In case you're wondering, I'm using impulse as the key here because this kind of explosive round would mostly use the explosion to increase penetration (thus requiring a very fast detonation velocity to push the penetrator) and to cause fragmentation of the projectile (which also requires a very fast detonation). Equivalent volume for pressure output would be more important if we were looking for damage to personnel, material or structures through overpressure or related effects, but that doesn't seem important for a small arms projectile.

You might conflicting values floating around the net. For the record, my values for TNT equivalent weights come from Conrath, E.,J., Krauthammer, T., Marchand, K.A., and Mlakar, P.F., Structural Design for Physical Security, ASCE, 1999.
Galmorez
The ammo, armor penetration, and final DV rules for SR4 are particularly wonky.

BaseDamage + Ammo modifiers + Hits VS Body + modified Armor

Increasing the DV is always preferable to AP, because it takes a lot more dice to negate DV. It takes about 4 dice to knock off one DV; taking off 2 dice of armor is only equivalent to half a DV. So, EX ammo is better than APDS in SR4, because to cancel it's effects it takes many more dice. APDS is less effective, because losing a little more armor is less of a problem than resisting a high final damage value. Flechette is much more effective than it used to be, because the bonus dice to damage far outweigh the bonus dice to armor.

The underlying problem is scale. A Ruger Super Warhawk Dirty Harry gun has a base damage and AP of 6P, -2. Put EXEX in there, and you have 8P, -4 without even rolling dice yet. This is very close to a Panther assault cannon, which is 10P, -5AP, and it can't take any fancy ammunition. So, in terms of scale and relating back to "realistic physics", the problem stems from putting super duper nuclear high explosive bullets in a 44 magnum and it does nearly the damage of a 20mm (?) recoiless rifle. So, that right there is the first part of the problem.

The second part of the problem is using dice hits to create a linear modifier to the final DV. Because of DV spiraling up so easily, you can have a streetsam do more damage with a light pistol as an unskilled shmuck with a panther cannon.

So, according to the physics of SR4:
1. A weapon, no matter how tiny, is a death machine in the right hands.
2. Ammuntion that enhances a weapon "in the right hands" is usually more desireable than a more powerful weapon.

So, now what we're left with is a system that is conducive to story telling than to "realistic" combat. When a streetsam shoots a dragon in the eye with his fancy gun, with its fancy ammo: it is very cinematic and cool. When game masters realize this same design is also something they can use too, it becomes significantly less cool... for players at least. Major vililans that can do stuff the players can do is pretty interesting.

We've generally stuck with house ruling the armor penetration check *before* adding dice hits to determine the final DV. Otherwise, the idiot savant with the Red Rider BB gun could get enough hits to blow up police cars and vape spirits with one shot. There are supposed to be some things in shadowrun that the mundane just shouldn't do anything but avoid... An "uber" streetsam player character should not be able to look over a great dragon and think, "I can take him." Our solution to the invincible Red Rider has been to make armor worth a damn. Not perfect, but it's working well enough.
Space Ghost
There doesn't really need to be a lot of pow inside a EX round. The focus could be on how the remains of the bullet get dispersed by the explosive. A technological leap in this field doesn't seem implausible after 60 or so more years of violence and war. Let's face it, the necessity to excel in war is not going to stop being relevant. In SR, they even had corporate-sponsored wars for the sole purpose of testing their prototype gear.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Space Ghost)
The focus could be on how the remains of the bullet get dispersed by the explosive.

Either such technology would make standard deforming ammunition equally better, thus not making explosive ammunition for small arms any better relative to other types of ammunition, or I have no idea what you mean.
Galmorez
Double post! nyahnyah.gif

I also am pretty sure that some of the super-duper armor piercing ammunition in SR will be entirely common by 2070.

Here's a hypothetical design for APDS pistol ammo:
1. Take a standard pistol bullet, but cut it into a quarter the size.
2. Make that 1/4 size bullet a dart penetrator, but make it out of Osmium or some other massive metal (depleted uranium?). Now it is 1/4th the size, but 1/2 the weight.
3. Put a sabot on your tiny half-weight round so that it fits in a standard cartridge.
4. Propel the projectile with electrothermal technology instead of a cordite chemical explosion. I seem to remember from somewhere, that electrothermal propulsion resulted in much higher velocities than traditional ammunition.

The principle is that you put alcohol or some other liquid in the cartridge with a fairly low vaporization energy. Then, you expose that to a strong electrical discharge similar to a taser. This results in much more energetic and complete vaporization of the propellant, and thus the projectile is inclined to leave at significantly higher velocities. Viola! Teeny little penetrator for piercing armor, and wounding capability is preserved because of hydroshock.

Whatayathink?

(PS, don't use that underwater.)
Shrike30
Would you care to compare the development of battery capacity per volume and mass in the last 180 years to the figures I mentioned above about equivalent volume for impulse?

I don't know enough of the science of battery technology to go into it in any great depth. Mostly, I'm drawing from watching the anti-laser arguments on these boards for the last few years, where people much more versed in the science than I have mostly agreed that it's not going to happen. I mostly brought it up to make the point that all sorts of tech seem to have advanced way beyond what we think of as reasonable/feasible now.

Miraculous nanotechnology (like cyber- and biotechnology) is kind of central to the whole Shadowrun world. Plus there is at least some credibility to nanomaterials becoming more common -- though this particular example (which I am unfamiliar with) might indeed be ridiculous.

Granted. Nanopaste disguises are one of the cool espionage gear devices that made it into SR4. Personally, i think they're bizarre, but I'm willing to accept the premise.

Again, these are central to Shadowrun (apart from t-birds, which really are silly and unrealistic), some of them to the cyberpunk genre in general. Basically, the megacorps, the matrix and augmented reality don't need to make any more sense than magic -- it's central to the whole world, so it has to be there no matter how ridiculous.

Überexplosives don't. Which is not to say they can't be, just that they are very unlikely, and would have implications far beyond just explosive ammunition for handguns.

Honestly, I hadn't thought much of the implications beyond ammunition. What kind of things are we talking about?

a fairly detailed study of a variety of explosives

I guess this raises the question of "Why use anything but C4?" since it seems to outperform most other explosive types? Admittedly, I don't know enough about explosives to know why, if you're trying to destroy something, you'd want a slower detonation velocity, but that's a pretty interesting discrepancy.

QUOTE (Space Ghost)
The focus could be on how the remains of the bullet get dispersed by the explosive

DIKOTE HOLLOWPOINTS. lick.gif nyahnyah.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Galmorez)
4. Propel the projectile with electrothermal technology instead of a cordite chemical explosion. I seem to remember from somewhere, that electrothermal propulsion resulted in much higher velocities than traditional ammunition.

Is there any mention of such projectile propulsion for small arms in any SR literature?

Raygun can give the full story on why APDS for handguns and most shoulder arms is pointless, but here are a few clues: propellant volume problems with long and deep-seated penetrators, worse terminal effect, worse accuracy, loading problems in automatic firearms.

Tungsten carbide is a "massive metal" at 15.7g/cm^3 -- DU stands at 19.1g/cm^3. It is widely used in modern armor piercing ammunition. It does not solve any of the problems mentioned. DU, let alone osmium, is not optimal for small arms ammunition for obvious reasons.

For reference, the smallest successful APDS ammunition design, the .50 BMG M903 SLAP, fires a 7.7mm, 355gr tungsten carbide penetrator at 4000fps -- that's 0.6x the diameter, about the same length, and about half the weight. Reduced terminal effectiveness against personnel is not a serious problem for this round, because you've got so much effectiveness to start with. wink.gif The US military discarded the idea of smaller APDS rounds ages ago, finding the same principle in 7.62x51mm platforms completely pointless.

QUOTE (Galmorez)
Teeny little penetrator for piercing armor, and wounding capability is preserved because of hydroshock.

What do you mean by "hydroschock"? I hope you don't mean "hydrostatic shock"... If you do, I suggest you read this.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Shrike30)
I guess this raises the question of "Why use anything but C4?" since it seems to outperform most other explosive types? Admittedly, I don't know enough about explosives to know why, if you're trying to destroy something, you'd want a slower detonation velocity, but that's a pretty interesting discrepancy.

I know just enough about explosives to realize I don't really understand them. AFAICT different applications of high explosives demand different attributes from the explosive: Sometimes you want more stability, sometimes you want less. Sometimes you need a higher peak pressure, sometimes you want a lower pressure range for a longer duration. And so on. What are the exact attributes weapons designers look for for missile vs demolition charge fillers, I haven't a clue.

QUOTE (Shrike30)
I don't know enough of the science of battery technology to go into it in any great depth. Mostly, I'm drawing from watching the anti-laser arguments on these boards for the last few years, where people much more versed in the science than I have mostly agreed that it's not going to happen.

I'd do it myself if I were just a bit more OCD, even though I realize it would contribute nothing to the thread. You may be right, I don't know anything about the field either, and if Cray74 has said something about the matter then I wouldn't dare try to contradict him.

QUOTE (Shrike30)
What kind of things are we talking about?

If we made a high explosive projectile feasible at 1/4th the scale it is now, then we'd be making all high explosive applications at the same scale 4 times as effective. 40mm grenade launchers could penetrate armor as well as LAWs, hand grenades could use thermobaric payloads with massive casualty causing radii, LAWs could use demolition warheads capable of bringing down large concrete buildings, and along with smart airbursting submunitions artillery would just be insanely effective. That sort of thing.
Brahm
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Jan 31 2006, 08:25 PM)
DU, let alone osmium, is not optimal for small arms ammunition for obvious reasons.

You mean for toxicity issues? Sure just a tiny bit of osmium tetroxide if the osmium gets air born will cause oxidizer burns and eventually lung cancer, so there are short and long term effects if it becomes air borne. And DU has some nasty effects too. Both being heavy metals makes them toxic in that way, and there are radiation problems. I'm not sure about osmium, but DU tends to start burning on impact with other hard substances so exposure in close combat is nearly enevitable.

Cost is a bit of an issue too. Pure osmium is insanely expensive, and DU would be too if you could go buy. smile.gif These also tend to be very hard metals, so the weapon barrel would need to be constructed to stand up to that.

But if you have money to burn, literally, and walk around combat in an environmental suit? It would be the solid gold toilet on your private jet ammunition. Doesn't really help the turds go down, but what style! love.gif
Brahm
If you replaced the core of the slug with DU, or better yet osmium, you could greatly increase the mass for a given caliber without increasing the slug length. So say a 180gr .308 slug would come in around 250 or 260gr. If you have the powder to push it and the firearm to manage that extra push I don't see why penetration of body armour and light vehicle armour wouldn't improve.

At the very least this sort of round could help give even better performance to subsonic rounds.
hyzmarca
The enviromental problems are minor compared to the ballistic problems. Exotic heavy metal slugs have poor rage and accuracy compared to standard amunition.

There are potentially ways t make an explosive-cored handgun bullet far more damaging that a similar deforming handgun bullet athough they would certainly be dificult to implement.

Consider, for example, a bullets that a rolled from a single sheet instead of molded around a slow-burning explosive core. Upon penetration, the explosive causes the rolled bullet to unfurl, dramatically increasing wound diameter. Yes, I know it is an insane idea with will probably be show unfeasable by experimental data. Untill I see such data I'm sticking with the idea.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Brahm)
These also tend to be very hard metals, so the weapon barrel would need to be constructed to stand up to that.

Nope. DU has a Mohs hardness of 6, osmium has 7, tungsten carbide has 9. The steel which non-tungsten small arms armor piercing ammunition uses is harder than either DU or osmium. Projectile jackets FTW.

QUOTE (Brahm)
You mean for toxicity issues?

That would be one important reason. With osmium it's not an "if", it will get airborne whenever it hits something hard, and as you know osmium tetroxide is highly toxic -- enough so that nobody would ever make ammunition out of it because it lacks any redeeming qualities apart from density. With DU there is both the toxicity and the incendiary effect you mentioned which make it less than optimal for small arms. Osmium is also very expensive, at $100 per gram, which alone is enough to guarantee that small arms ammunition using it would be several hundred $ per cartridge.

Another good clue is that nobody has ever even bothered to try it. There are some apocryphal stories of .50 BMG rounds, but (unsurprisingly) these can only be found on sites for organizations which vehemently oppose the use of DU and include lots of other bullshit "facts" about the material.

QUOTE (Brahm)
If you have the powder to push it and the firearm to manage that extra push I don't see why penetration of body armour and light vehicle armour wouldn't improve.

In small arms, armor piercing ammunition is usually (there are exceptions) made lighter than FMJ ammunition to increase velocity. Having much heavier projectiles for an AP rounds would not make sense -- you'd lose velocity, which means you lose a lot of range and accuracy, and probably also penetration. When using heavier metals, like tungsten carbide, for armor piercing small arms projectiles, the penetrator generally does not fill the jacket completely. You can see the size of the penetrator inside 5.56x45mm and 7.62x51mm M995 and M993 armor piercing rounds on this page. This allows for similar external ballistics as with standard ammunition. The M993 has a 13.3% lighter projectile than standard 7.62x51mm FMJ rounds, the M995 has 16.1% lighter projectile than standard 5.56x45mm FMJ rounds.

With DU the self-sharpening property of the matter would likely improve the overall armor penetration capability over steel armor piercing ammunition. Whether it fares better than tungsten carbide in small arms applications, I don't know -- the self-sharpening ability is very important in penetrating thick, rigid vehicle armor with long rod flechettes, but it's much less useful when penetrating the kinds of thin ceramic or metal plates rifle rounds are likely to encounter.

Again, though, you'd actually have to convince someone (ie. the military) to actually make/order such rounds. Since nobody ever has, and tungsten carbide has so completely taken over this application, I'm not exactly holding my breath.

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Upon penetration, the explosive causes the rolled bullet to unfurl, dramatically increasing wound diameter.

If you allow for such tricks with explosive projectiles, then the same will be possible with conventional deforming projectiles. It is much simpler to create ballistic point ammunition that is designed to deform to an optimal shape and diameter for the best possible penetration of tissue vs. size of wound cavity than it is to make a round such as you described.
nick012000
QUOTE (Shrike30)
What kind of things are we talking about?

If we made a high explosive projectile feasible at 1/4th the scale it is now, then we'd be making all high explosive applications at the same scale 4 times as effective. 40mm grenade launchers could penetrate armor as well as LAWs, hand grenades could use thermobaric payloads with massive casualty causing radii, LAWs could use demolition warheads capable of bringing down large concrete buildings, and along with smart airbursting submunitions artillery would just be insanely effective. That sort of thing.

Actually, I'm pretty sure most of these are supported by the rules. A missile launcher loaded with fragmentation ammo can take out the better part of a brick house, 20mm minigrenades are as effective as hand grenades, and HE grenades have the same AP as HE rockets.
PH3NOmenon
Not that the "realism" discussion sin't interesting, but don't any of you people rule these things looking at game balance?

It's clear to just about anyone that the current ammo rules are no good:
Normal Ex-rounds are cheaper, more readily available, and just as good in all respects as APDS. ExEx-rounds is a better armor piercing tool than APDS.
Flechette rounds are ALWAYS better than regular rounds (which isn't too bad a tradeoff imo, they cost a bunch more)

When comparing the diffrent values of ammo, keep in mind that 1DV equals -3AP (on avarage, three dies generate one hit, right?)

With this in mind has anyone drawn up some balanced ammo rules for me to use?
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (nick012000)
[...] 20mm minigrenades are as effective as hand grenades, and HE grenades have the same AP as HE rockets.

That just shows the designers are lazy and not interested in logic. Regardless of how effective explosive substances become, if one explosive device is less than 1/5th the volume and mass of another, it is less powerful. Whether you fill the 20mm grenade launcher rounds and hand grenades with gunpowder, dynamite, C-4, thermobaric explosives, or fictional überexplosives, the much more massive hand grenade will always be more powerful.

I meant these fictional über-40mm grenades penetrating armor as well as current real-world LAWs.

QUOTE (nick012000)
A missile launcher loaded with fragmentation ammo can take out the better part of a brick house [...]

Assuming something like a TBG-7V thermobaric rocket for the RPG-7 except 4 times more powerful, it should be capable of demolishing two-story concrete housing and have a lethal radius (regardless of most forms of body armor) of about 15-20 meters in the open.
Deadjester
Ok from what I am reading it is pretty obvious that we have some pretty intelligent and knowledgeable people on this subject.

So I have something to propose while I am working on the house rules I posted above and checking their results.

I would like to see a proposed Ammo guide from those who are willing to do it based on that AP and DV are calculated separately. (AP is rolled first and if successful, then DV is applied from Ammo)

Also availability and prices are also important in the SR4 universe so please add you thoughts in on this, has great RP value.

Feel free to add in Hallow Points, FMJs, Diakote or anything else you come up with to the present Ammo that is in SR4, but I would like to see it under the guidelines above.

I understand that in RL they maybe one in the same but for game purpose for the house rules I am working on I would be interested to see the results from people who seem to be well versed on Ammo and Weapons.

Looking foward to seeing your ideas.

Deadjester
Serbitar
QUOTE (PH3NOmenon)
Azralon
QUOTE (Galmorez @ Jan 31 2006, 08:47 PM)
So, according to the physics of SR4:
1. A weapon, no matter how tiny, is a death machine in the right hands.

This was even more true in previous editions, when a shuriken could easily produce a Deadly wound (or more, depending if you used the "overdamage" optional rules) with only modest skill behind it.

And yeah, an adept with... what was it called, Throwing Mastery or something?... could easily pull a Bullseye and kill people with peanuts and paperclips. But hey, he paid for the abilities, so I'm willing to give him that.

I'm okay with highly-skilled shadowrunners slaying dragons by shooting them in one eye and out the other; it's standard (super)hero fare. SR4 actually curbed some of that down to more realistic levels.

Note I didn't say "realistic." I said "more realistic." smile.gif
Brahm
QUOTE (Serbitar @ Feb 1 2006, 08:37 AM)
QUOTE (PH3NOmenon)

Isn't AP -5 over the top? By pushing up the power of this special ammunition you start running into the PAC and even rockets and missles.

I would recommend bringing the APDS back down to -4 and either removing the double explosive rounds or something else. A full doubling of impact armour for flechette/buckshot seems a bit over the top too.

Normal Ex-rounds are cheaper, more readily available, and just as good in all respects as APDS. ExEx-rounds is a better armor piercing tool than APDS.

No and no. The lack of risk of a Glitch exploding them in your face is worth something. What exactly is a hard number to assess, but it is there. If you are just worried about being able to penatrate armour APDS is still better than Explosive, and the equal of ExEx. ExEx does more damage, but it also does more damage if you Glitch.

I have personally rolled a Glitch with 12 dice. I had already included Edge in the roll so I couldn't undo the Glitch. Fortunately I did roll a single hit so it wasn't a Critical Glitch, and I wasn't shooting. But if I had been shooting Ex or ExEx that would have hurt, especially since the character already had 4 boxes of Physical and a low body.
Brahm
@Serbitars House-rule Package

If you want me to use that, which I am not going to for various reasons, why do you have all that justification text cluttering it up? Joe Friday said it best, "All we want are the facts, ma'am".
Serbitar
QUOTE (Brahm @ Feb 1 2006, 11:30 AM)
QUOTE (PH3NOmenon)

Isn't AP -5 over the top? By pushing up the power of this special ammunition you start running into the PAC and even rockets and missles.

I would recommend bringing the APDS back down to -4 and either removing the double explosive rounds or something else. A full doubling of impact armour for flechette/buckshot seems a bit over the top too.

Do the math. -5AP is worse than +2DV.
Doubling the impact armour ONLY then brings the flechette back in line, when you also use the physical to stun conversion rules. If you dont do this, you should even triple the impact armor.

Just do the calculations and you will see. I guarante you that from a mathematical point of view, everything is very well balanced with my changes.

Furthermore: Exex is a better amour piercing tool than APDS in every situation. Do the math.
Second: The chance to roll a critical glitch with 8 dice (about the number of dice a standard runner will roll) is less than 0.4% With 12 dice it gets less than 0.001%.Chances are negligable. In addition a critical glitch will normal ammo will bring you in comparable trouble.

I dont want you to use it. Why should I?
And btw, you can see that I should even give more "justifications" in your inital post.
Brahm
QUOTE (Serbitar @ Feb 1 2006, 01:16 PM)
QUOTE (Brahm @ Feb 1 2006, 11:30 AM)
QUOTE (PH3NOmenon)

Do the math. -5AP is worse than +2DV.

Huh? Please reread my post. I suggested getting rid of the +2DV ExEx entirely.

Flechette is another problem entirely, but you keeping the +2DV there doesn't make much sense at all. The real world problem with flechette ammunition is it doesn't do as much damage.

EDIT Flechettes real world advantage is that it penetrates light personal armour very well. You set up the exact opposite.

Handling fragmentation and buckshot the same as flechette also is a braindead holdover from previous versions.

Doubling the impact armour ONLY then brings the flechette back in line, when you also use the physical to stun conversion rules. If you dont do this, you should even triple the impact armor.

Just do the calculations and you will see. I guarante you that from a mathematical point of view, everything is very well balanced with my changes.

Another problem, you are changing so many things around including things I see little need to for my uses. Still I don't see anywhere that you changed how PAC or rockets work, except for the fragmentation rockets.

Please don't ask me to do math if you don't first read.
Serbitar
You are even proposing more changes than I do. (Removing ExEX, severey changing flechette . . .).
But the question of importance is: Is my ammo system balanced against itself? And the answer is "mathematically yes". If you dont like it as a whole, dont use ist.
If you have a better overall system, post it. If you have suggestions how to alter mine, post them. If you have only negative criticism with no ideas how to fix the weak points, better keep to yourself.
Brahm
QUOTE (Serbitar @ Feb 1 2006, 01:40 PM)
You are even proposing more changes than I do. (Removing ExEX, severey changing flechette . . .).

That is a more general comment. Like changing karma costs for Attributes and Skills. Doing that means that allowing karma built characters I have to change other parts of my game too, which makes BP characters incompatable? BeCKs didn't do that.

But the question of importance is: Is my ammo system balanced against itself? And the answer is "mathematically yes". If you dont like it as a whole, dont use ist.

Just within the ammo modifications you make, maybe. But you are exaspertating a problem that is already there by pushing up the AP on the APDS.

Same thing with flechette. You are taking the wierdness that is there and exasperating it. Why not at least drop it to +1DV? That is not such a huge change? A better change yet though is 0/+2AP, and extra die to hit. That way it works better against unarmoured targets, and it does what flechette and buckshot is ment to do. Increase the chance to hit.

Give fragmentation grenades, rockets, and missles +1DV and +2AP or +3AP. Once again better against no armour, similar against lightly armoured, and much poorer against hard armour.
Serbitar
How do gel rounds and ExEx fit in this? How does this fit to the "flechette is devestating against unarmored but useless against armored targets" description?

You cant just change one ammo type. If you do, you have to balance all the existing ammo types (regular, flechette, explosive, exexplosive, gel, stichnshock, apds).

Why is +1DV/+3AP poorer against heavily armored targets? +1DV/+3AP cancels out in the standard rules. Its armor independant.
Brahm
QUOTE (Serbitar @ Feb 1 2006, 02:19 PM)
How do gel rounds and ExEx fit in this?

ExEx is innane, as has been covered in this thread extensively. Gone.

Gel I didn't do yet. I'll think about it a bit and get back to you.

How does this fit to the "flechette is devestating against unarmored but useless against armored targets" description?

It still does work better against unarmoured opponents. It does do poorer against armoured opponents unless you have a really crappy chance of hitting them to start with. It fits fine, as long as you don't let your imagination run wild while reading that line.

Of course taking a hit within a few meters from a fully choked shotgun is a horrific thing. But that goes back more to the weapon damage.

You cant just change one ammo type. If you do, you have to balance all the existing ammo types (regular, flechette, explosive, exexplosive, gel, stichnshock, apds).

Why is +1DV/+3AP poorer against heavily armored targets? +1DV/+3AP cancels out in the standard rules. Its armor independant.

Against hardened armour it is decidedly poorer.

I didn't mention heavy armour. But since you mention it, against personal armour +3AP is poorer if they use Edge. They likely aren't going to roll Edge with their Amour unless they have lots of dice, meaning that unless they have a huge Body they aren't going to see the benefit until they are wearing fairly heavy armour. Funny, I didn't intend that.
Brahm
If you really feel the need to include ExEx, just make it +1DV/0AP. Still worse than APDS except against light armor.
Brahm
Another good move is to drop the APDS moniker and just make it AP (Armor Piercing). As covered well by Austere Emancipator discarding sabot doesn't really work in small caliber weapons.

You could then have a couple of grades, -3 AP and -4 AP. They are going to eventually come out with some funky new ammunition in the supplement that also makes little sense. So you might as well get ready for it now. smile.gif

A grade of -2 AP would have its uses too. It would be more like a premium grade of commercial ammunition instead of full on military/law enforcement.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Shrike30)
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Jan 30 2006, 04:23 PM)
A handheld laser weapon is much more likely to come out in 75 years than überexplosives.

The Matrix is in wide use today, but without the silly 3D metaphores (except in games, of course). Augmented reality is commerically available today, albiet rare and expensive. Simsense is commercially available today, albiet in a limited form that requires primitive cyberware. There is already a company making flying cars for private use. FAA restrictions and fuel efficiency problems keep them off the ground. These still havn't been fixed with T-birds. DNI computing isn't commercially avilable but you can do it yourself if you happen to be a neurosurgeon. It doesn't work well but it does work.
Extraterritoriality is the only silly part and that is a result of judicial activism on the US Supreme Court. Judicial Activism is discouraged but it does happen. When it is the Supreme Court making the political revisions there isn't really anything anyone else can do.
Brahm
Projectile jackets FTW.

That is where I was going with using it in normal slugs. They are still harder than copper jacketing, however I didn't realise they were that much softer than tungsten carbide. Thanks for the info.

Again, though, you'd actually have to convince someone (ie. the military) to actually make/order such rounds. Since nobody ever has, and tungsten carbide has so completely taken over this application, I'm not exactly holding my breath.

Cost is going to be an issue inconvincing someone to put in a large order for general use. A single slug with 100 grain of pure osmium in it would cost about $500 just for the metal. smile.gif

The self sharpening quality of DU you mention could be useful in very specialized ammunition. Cost and toxicity are going to keep it from general use, but with improvements and wider availability of personal armor by SR time there might be very elite squads, say bodyguards for AAA executives, that have it special made. Definately not something you would pick up at the Stuffer Shack or mail order in a gross of boxes.

EDIT Useful for penetrating thicker armor and environmental obstacles, like engine blocks, traffic light posts, schools, etc. smile.gif
Austere Emancipator
Apart from schools, penetrating which is obviously a matter of caliber and not of projectile type, tungsten carbide can already do all that. There is no body armor available today (or being developed that I know of) which can reliably stop the M993 round at close range. NIJ level IV, the highest ballistic protection rating commonly used, is only rated to defeat steel core AP rounds, like the venerable .30-06 M2 AP. And, again, I wouldn't be so sure that DU would actually penetrate body armor any better.

If this elite squad is facing a probable threat of heavily armored vehicles while only armed with small arms (up to and including shoulder arms in 12.7x99mm and similar calibers), then going for DU wouldn't be completely insane. Just highly unlikely.
Brahm
Highly unlikely is about the best your can hope for in Shadowrun. So that sounds like a winner!

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif
Shrike30
The Matrix is in wide use today, but without the silly 3D metaphores (except in games, of course).

The next time a game pipes it's silly 3d metaphors into my brain, and trying to log into the wrong part of a corporate site results in a biofeedback loop that tries to kill me, I'll let you know. I'm aware of the Internet (otherwise, I probably wouldn't be posting here).

Augmented reality is commerically available today, albiet rare and expensive.

The closest i've seen to AR is some of the technical tools you can get for mechanics work and the like, which is basically a HUD on an eyepiece that lets you call up things like technical specs. I'm still waiting to play Dream Park.

Simsense is commercially available today, albiet in a limited form that requires primitive cyberware.

Define "limited"... i don't see emotive tracks piping into my brain for entertainment, or Strange Days style recording gear floating around.

There is already a company making flying cars for private use. FAA restrictions and fuel efficiency problems keep them off the ground. These still havn't been fixed with T-birds.

Flying cars are based on two commonly available pieces of tech... namely, cars and planes. Vectored-thrust fly-by-wire armored bricks in the sky are a little further out there.

DNI computing isn't commercially avilable but you can do it yourself if you happen to be a neurosurgeon. It doesn't work well but it does work.

Are you talking about some of the experiments into using brainwaves to try and operate a simple flight sim or run a speech device, or "It'd be faster for me to just think up this Word document than try and type it" DNI, because that's not even getting into the whole consensual-hallucination-Matrix deal, and we don't have it yet.

Extraterritoriality is the only silly part and that is a result of judicial activism on the US Supreme Court. Judicial Activism is discouraged but it does happen. When it is the Supreme Court making the political revisions there isn't really anything anyone else can do.

Yeah, that doesn't seem all that sane to me, either.

Saying we've got the basis of some of the tech seen in shadowrun is like saying the horse and buggy was the basis for hybrid cars. There's some truth in it, and the changeover did only take a little over a century, but a lot of stuff happened in between.
Angelstandings
Normal Rounds..: +0 DV (vs. ballistic)
Gell....................: +0 DV, Stun damage (vs. impact)
Flechette...........: +2 DV. Double impact armor (vs. impact)
Armor piercing...: +0 DV, Halve ballistic armor then subtract 2, to a minimum of 0 (vs. ballistic).
*Explosive...........: +0 DV (vs. impact).
*EX-Explosive......: +1 DV (vs. impact).
Stick-n-Shock.....: 5S(e) damage, Halve impact armor (vs. impact).

* Critical glitches are bad with these. Check the BBB for more details.

This is what I came up with after a few hours of number crunching. Check it out. It keeps in theme with what the ammo was intended to do (i.e. each ammo type has it's own niche to fill). I came up with the above values by first determining what the goal of each ammo type was, then making the math fit it.

Normal rounds: Yeah, you know what it is already. Pros: It's cheap. Cons: Not as good as any as the other ammo.
Gell: Less lethal rounds.
Flechette: The best ammo choice effective against unarmored and lightly armored targets. Actually ends up doing less damage than even normal rounds against heavilly armored targets.
Armor Piercing: The round punches through armor. It's effectiveness increases relative to all other types of ammunition as the target's armor increases. It's the best ammo choice against moderately to heavilly armored targets.
Explosive: Generally slightly more effective than regular ammo. This doesn't really shine, but it's still kinda cheap.
EX-Explosive: Generally slightly more effective than explosive ammo. It's always the 2nd best ammo choice for any situation.
Stick-n-Shock: Turn your gun into a taser.

EDIT: After checking out the prices, I think the only change that needs to be made is flechette dropping to 70 nuyen per ten rounds.

And here's some examples of ammo types vs. various armors using my modified values for the ammo types... I didn't include Gel, explosive, and stick-n-shock for simplicity's sake:

CODE
                      Defender's Resist Adj = relative to baseline (normal ammo)  assuming 1 DV is equivalent to 3 dice

T is Types of ammo:
- = normal ammo
F = Flechette
X = Ex-Explosive
A = Armor Piercing

vs defender's 4/0 armor:
T DV Armor   (DV*3)-Armor    Base Adj *-1    Defender's Resist Adjustment
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- +0   4  --> (0 * 3) - 4  = (-4   +4)*-1 =   0 baseline
F +2   0  --> (2 * 3) - 0  = (+6   +4)*-1 = -10 dice
X +1   0  --> (1 * 3) - 0  = (+3   +3)*-1 =  -6 dice
A +0   0  --> (0 * 3) - 0  = (+0   +4)*-1 =  -4 dice

vs. defender's 8/6 armor
T DV Armor   (DV*3)-Armor    Base Adj *-1     Defender's Resist Adjustment
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- +0   8  --> (0 * 3) - 8  = (-8   +8)*-1 =   0 baseline
F +2  12  --> (2 * 3) - 12 = (-6   +8)*-1 =  -2 dice
X +1   6  --> (1 * 3) - 6  = (-3   +8)*-1 =  -5 dice
A +0   2  --> (0 * 3) - 2  = (-2   +8)*-1 =  -6 dice

vs. defender's 11/10 armor
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- +0   11 --> (0 * 3) - 11 = (-11 +11)*-1 =   0 baseline
F +2   2o --> (2 * 3) - 20 = (-14 +11)*-1 =  +3 dice
X +1   10 --> (1 * 3) - 10 = (-7  +11)*-1 =  -4 dice
A +0    4 --> (0 * 3) -  4 = (-4  +11)*-1 =  -7 dice

vs. defender's 17/14 armor
- +0   17 --> (0 * 3) - 17 = (-17 +17)*-1 =   0 baseline
F +2   28 --> (2 * 3) - 28 = (-22 +17)*-1 =  +5  dice
X +1   14 --> (1 * 3) - 14 = (-11 +17)*-1 =  -6 dice
A +0    7 --> (0 * 3) -  7 = (-7  +17)*-1 = -10 dice

EDIT: If it looks confusing at first, just read the values from left to right, there's four for each ammo type... ignore the math part.  For example: against a target with 17/14 armor, with the attacker using Armor Piercing ammo, the defender get's armor is reduced to 7 for purposes of penetration, and he rolls 10 less dice on the resist test than he would have if attacked with normal ammo (the baseline).

For comparison I added a table containing examples using the current rules for ammo in the SR4 book (below). As you can see, EX-Explosive ammo greatly outshines all others, always, and flechette ammo is a close second. APDS is only slightly better than normal ammo. The whole thing makes no sense when compared to the fluff for the damage types. Having EX-Explosive ammo be the best for everything, and Flechette better at high armor targets than APDS goes against the concept's for the ammo types. Also, APDS rounds are innefective for damaging hardened armor (i.e. high force spirits).

CODE
[B]Rules as Written for ammo types:[/B]

vs defender's 4/0 armor
- +0   4 --> (0 * 3) - 4  = (-4   +4)*-1 =   0 baseline
F +2   2 --> (2 * 3) - 2  = (+4   +4)*-1 =  -8 dice
X +2   2 --> (2 * 3) - 2  = (+4   +4)*-1 =  -8 dice
A +0   0 --> (0 * 3) - 0  = (+0   +4)*-1 =  -4 dice

vs. defender's 8/6 armor
- +0   8 --> (0 * 3) - 8  = (-8   +8)*-1 =   0 baseline
F +2   8 --> (2 * 3) - 8  = (-2   +8)*-1 =  -6 dice
X +2   6 --> (2 * 3) - 6  = (+0   +8)*-1 =  -8 dice
A +0   4 --> (0 * 3) - 4  = (-4   +8)*-1 =  -4 dice

- +0  11 --> (0 * 3) - 11 = (-11 +11)*-1 =   0 baseline
F +2  12 --> (2 * 3) - 12 = (-6  +11)*-1 =  -5 dice
X +2   9 --> (2 * 3) -  9 = (-3  +11)*-1 =  -7 dice
A +0   7 --> (0 * 3) -  7 = (-7  +11)*-1 =  -4 dice

- +0  17 --> (0 * 3) - 17 = (-17 +17)*-1 =   0 baseline
F +2  16 --> (2 * 3) - 16 = (-10 +17)*-1 =  -7 dice
X +2  15 --> (2 * 3) - 15 = (-9  +17)*-1 =  -8 dice
A +0  13 --> (0 * 3) - 13 = (-13 +17)*-1 =  -4 dice

Here's Serbitor's ammo values plugged into my chart:

CODE
[B]Serbitor's Rules for ammo types:[/B]

(F)lechette......: +2DV (vs. 2x impact)
E(X)-Explosive: +2DV +1AP (vs. ballistic)
(A)PDS...........: -5AP (vs. ballistic)

vs defender's 4/0 armor
- +0   4 --> (0 * 3) - 4  = (-4   +4)*-1 =   0 baseline
F +2   0 --> (2 * 3) - 0  = (+6   +4)*-1 =  -10 dice
X +2   5 --> (2 * 3) - 5  = (+1   +4)*-1 =  -5 dice
A +0   0 --> (0 * 3) - 0  = (+0   +4)*-1 =  -4 dice

vs. defender's 8/6 armor
- +0   8 --> (0 * 3) - 8  = (-8   +8)*-1 =   0 baseline
F +2  12 --> (2 * 3) - 12  = (-6   +8)*-1 =  -2 dice
X +2   9 --> (2 * 3) - 9  = (+0   +8)*-1 =  -5 dice
A +0   3 --> (0 * 3) - 3  = (-4   +8)*-1 =  -3 dice

- +0  11 --> (0 * 3) - 11 = (-11 +11)*-1 =   0 baseline
F +2  20 --> (2 * 3) - 20 = (-14  +11)*-1 =  +3 dice
X +2  12 --> (2 * 3) - 12 = (-6  +11)*-1 =  -5 dice
A +0   6 --> (0 * 3) -  6 = (-6  +11)*-1 =  -5 dice

- +0  17 --> (0 * 3) - 17 = (-17 +17)*-1 =   0 baseline
F +2  28 --> (2 * 3) - 28 = (-22 +17)*-1 =  +5 dice
X +2  18 --> (2 * 3) - 15 = (-9  +17)*-1 =  -8 dice
A +0  12 --> (0 * 3) - 12 = (-12 +17)*-1 =  -5 dice

*Damage converted from physical to stun, due to high armor, is resisted with the modified standard armor rating (depending on the attack), pluss the full impact rating.

Eddie Furious
QUOTE (Brahm)
The really screwy thing is that ExEx ammo is cheaper than armour piercing.  Although if you roll a Glitch with ExEx ammo that is bad because a rounds jams or something and blows up in your face.

I want to know exactly how "Ex-Ex" ammo works anyway. How does the round know when to detonate which charge, also, how do they isolate the charges to create a "Duplexing" effect?

QUOTE (Brahm)

My GM did his own ammo number modification, and he refers to them by model numbers.  I don't know exactly what the numbers are, I haven't asked because usually my character doesn't shoot things. Maybe I should ask him for them.

I refer to them by who-what now? I just broke down cost and availability according to categories.

Pistols/SMGs
Carbines/Assault Rifles/LMGs
GPMGs/Sniper Rifles/Rifles
HMGs/Anti-Material Rifles
Grenade Launchers
Rocket & Missile Launchers
Payload Delivery Rifle Systems

QUOTE (Brahm)

I assume they are at least a bit closer to current ammo, since he is ex-military. But then I haven't seen his dischange papers, so maybe he was just a janitor? He looks like a guy that knows his way around a mop.  biggrin.gif

I know you weren't in the military for sure now. You don't get through Basic without learning your way around a bloody mop.
nyahnyah.gif
Angelstandings
Yeah, if you want to learn how to clean stuff, join the Marines.

EDIT: Umm... is anyone noticing my balanced ammo chart?
mfb
QUOTE (Eddie Furious)
I want to know exactly how "Ex-Ex" ammo works anyway. How does the round know when to detonate which charge, also, how do they isolate the charges to create a "Duplexing" effect?

i've always pretended that explosive ammo isn't actually explosive. remember that 'blended metal ammo' crap that made the rounds a few years back? how it supposedly retained its integrity if it hit something that tried to deform it (like kevlar), but broke into chunks when it hit something soft (like flesh)? that way, you'd get the penetration of FMJ with the salsafying effect of a frangible round. it sounded like crazy bullshit to me... but it fits pretty well with the effects of EX and EX-EX ammo in SR. EX and EX-EX both penetrate armor better, and both do more damage (or, rather, make the damage harder to soak, which is the same thing). EX is the cheap stuff, and EX-EX is the good stuff.

edit: er, well, shit. the explanation fit in SR3. i'd have to check the SR4 stats to see if it fits there... and i don't wanna.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012