Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR4 Art
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
mdynna
Has anyone else found SR art in general disappointing? I find that it is generally too cartoony and bears not much resemblance to descriptions. Or it is too abstract (what is that supposed to be?).
FrankTrollman
You should probably have an extra couple of categories there. I liked the art in Man and Machine much more than I like the art in SR4. But there are still some good pictures now and again. So while I am able to categorically say that SR4 art is "worse", I wouldn't go as far as putting an exclamation mark after expressing my hatred.

-Frank
Azralon
Ah, how I long for the days of Tim Bradstreet's gritty and realistic style.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (mdynna @ Jan 30 2006, 11:41 PM)
Or it is too abstract (what is that supposed to be?).

Hardly - the proportions and anatomy of some pictures are simply off.
Brahm
Ya, not all artists take pictures and then run them through digital filters and touch them up.

At least that was my understanding of how Bradstreet does some of his work. Not to say that it the result isn't nice, because it definately is. Or to imply he is a no talent bum. But keep in mind that not all styles are intended to be photorealistic.

I find the SR4 art a mixed bag by my tastes. Some good, some bad, a lot of ok. Unfortunately I don't really think I can point to one particular piece and say it rocks my world. That is usually what I judge art in a book by. It can be mostly blah, but if there is one piece that I really like then it makes the book.
mdynna
For some unknown reason, I find the art in the books that Steven Kenson had a big hand in to be the best. Perhaps he picks different artists?
Space Ghost
My main gripe is with the cover art. The color work is good, but i think the original concept wasn't. Meaning, the things depicted were well drawn, but i don't like those things to begin with. Like the sammie's handblade. Or his coat for that matter. Does it look like wicker to anybody else? The whole scene looks kind of relaxed, too. Like these guys are yawning through a milk run or something.

A lot of the art inside the book is good though.
Tanka
The only good art was stuff that was drawn for previous editions, most notably that from Cybertechnology, a book in 2nd Ed. Anything new was shit. Pure and total shit. (For reference: Page 68. What the hell is that?!)
Squinky
I did prefer the feel of previous editions with the likes of Bradstreet, Prescott, and the great Laubenstien, but I dig most of the art in the new book.

That page 68 one is okay to me, 133 and 136 are examples of pictures that I don't quite appreciate. One thing to keep in mind though is the pictures do convey the the message they are meant to convey, even if you don't like the art.
nick012000
QUOTE (tanka)
The only good art was stuff that was drawn for previous editions, most notably that from Cybertechnology, a book in 2nd Ed. Anything new was shit. Pure and total shit. (For reference: Page 68. What the hell is that?!)

p. 68 is an illustration depicting the player using the Hand of God.
Brahm
QUOTE (nick012000)
QUOTE (tanka @ Jan 30 2006, 09:12 PM)
The only good art was stuff that was drawn for previous editions, most notably that from Cybertechnology, a book in 2nd Ed.  Anything new was shit.  Pure and total shit.  (For reference: Page 68.  What the hell is that?!)

rotfl.gif

Ah, it is all making sense now. Yes, I can make out the crucifix in the background midpicture.

Ya, I'm ok with that picture.
Ophis
I really like the chapter start pictures (except the equipment chapter)
There is some excellent art and some utter shit, but then again that is par for the course in a book. Since Fanpro have taken over the art quality has dropped a little in general but the really good piccies have got better.
MK Ultra
Wow, You know, I have waited forthis thread ever since SR4 came out... (only had too much univerity-stuff to do, to put it on my selfe, so I did only bitch about SR4-Art whenever the topic came about as a sideline).

I realy HATE most of the artwork!!! Very little is good (some of the archetypes are actually quiet cool, I think, others -like the ganger- are rather bad though), some is ok (mostly stuff from old books IIRC), most is quiet bad and not that little is realy shitty IMHO (p. 65, 112 and 260 are probably my most hated, but thats hard to decide with such a large pile of crap frown.gif ).

I could surely do better than most of the disprportional pictures, but that doesnīt matter, even if I couldnīt, cuz Iīm not payed for it! Iīd actually have payed extrabucks for an "unspecial" edition with most of the artworke removed, even without replacement.

Many of the illustrations look like fanwork, and bad fanwork compared to other stuff Iīve seen!

I am really disappointed about the artwork, though I like the rules and the layout. Problem is, that Iīm really visual, so bad art detracts horrendously from my rpg-experiance and I probably have more of a problem to get the mood of SR4, than I would have had without this craptacular junk sarcastic.gif

I know this is much about personal experiances, but there are some objective criteria, like bodyproportions of Norms, that are not correct in many cases.

Oh, man I really canīt tell how dissapointed I am, withoug being rude, but the length of my post probably says enough.

Guess what I voted for sleepy.gif

Edit: I allso agre with Ophis
Grinder
There are some awesome pics in the BBB, but way too much crappy ones )like the race examples).
MK Ultra
QUOTE (Grinder)
There are some awesome pics in the BBB, but way too much crappy ones )like the race examples).

You name it, I was utterly shocked, when they were first presented on the web eek.gif
runefire32
I would have voted but there wasn't a choice for 'I liked some of it, but some of it was god awful horrible...'
Tanka
QUOTE (nick012000)
QUOTE (tanka @ Jan 30 2006, 09:12 PM)
The only good art was stuff that was drawn for previous editions, most notably that from Cybertechnology, a book in 2nd Ed.  Anything new was shit.  Pure and total shit.  (For reference: Page 68.  What the hell is that?!)

I'm not saying "What does it represent?" More like "Who the hell calls that good art?"
mdynna
On a positive note, although I consider Shadowrun art sub-par at best, Shadowrun fiction has been excellent. In my opinion, the exceptional fiction that is ever-present in Shadowrun books counter-balances the exceedingly disappointing artwork. The whole idea of writing entire sourcebooks in-character is nothing short of brilliant, in my mind.
Azralon
I'm comfortable with different art styles getting used, and actually like the variety.

The Tir Tairngire sourcebook had some great black-and-white art over a whole range of styles. Even the cartoony stuff served its purpose (such as the customs officer firing a full burst while quietly saying "Stop.").

I gotta say that Jeff Laubenstein never did anything for me (except make me sick of seeing people with little swirls tattooed on their faces).
Kyoto Kid
Still think the art in SR3 looked more finished. Too much of the interior art in 4 (save for the sample characters and two realy good street scenes) looks like pencil roughs or first drafts.

Favourite art of all time:

Theres a picture from Cannon Companion (pg 60 or 80 I think). The one with the soldier in the tank looking down at the rocket about to impact on the turret. The expression on his face says it all. Priceless
Adam
QUOTE (mdynna)
For some unknown reason, I find the art in the books that Steven Kenson had a big hand in to be the best. Perhaps he picks different artists?

Authors generally have no say in which artists work on any particular book.
warrior_allanon
some was good most was horrible, i mean, come on, all you have to see is the troll that looks like a klingon with horns, and that rastafarian ork and say "Ugh"
P.P.Lemonade
I just wish the art styles were more consistent. Have the same artist do all of the critter pictures. Same for contacts and such.
JongWK
QUOTE (warrior_allanon)
some was good most was horrible, i mean, come on, all you have to see is the troll that looks like a klingon with horns, and that rastafarian ork and say "Ugh"

I thought the ork was out of a Battlefield: Earth remake. nyahnyah.gif
Brahm
QUOTE (P.P.Lemonade)
I just wish the art styles were more consistent. Have the same artist do all of the critter pictures. Same for contacts and such.

They had all the sample characters done in the same style.

I think anyone that does not see those sample pictures as good or at least fair is coming in with unreasonable expectations. If you can't get past your taste in style to see the workmanship you aren't judging quality at all.
Tanka
QUOTE (JongWK)
QUOTE (warrior_allanon @ Jan 31 2006, 09:36 PM)

I thought the ork was out of a Battlefield: Earth remake. nyahnyah.gif

Haha! Now that you mention it, the Ork does quite look like it...
BookWyrm
I'd like to know where to get those cool looking tribal-designs done by Nigel Sade (like the dragon-like one on p. 111, behind the Skills And Linked Attributes table).
winterhawk11
QUOTE (BookWyrm)
I'd like to know where to get those cool looking tribal-designs done by Nigel Sade (like the dragon-like one on p. 111, behind the Skills And Linked Attributes table).
Churl Beck
I really liked Karl Waller's illustrations--interesting perspectives, good proportion, and a great movement of line. My least favorite picture in SR4 is on page 334. It seems to have nothing to do with the content of the page (or Shadowrun for that matter). Maybe it's supposed to illustrate cosmetic modification, maybe not. Maybe it's supposed to be an elf, maybe not. I'm thinking about making all of my NPC's look exactly like that, just as a joke.
BookWyrm
QUOTE (Churl Beck)
I really liked Karl Waller's illustrations--interesting perspectives, good proportion, and a great movement of line. My least favorite picture in SR4 is on page 334. It seems to have nothing to do with the content of the page (or Shadowrun for that matter). Maybe it's supposed to illustrate cosmetic modification, maybe not. Maybe it's supposed to be an elf, maybe not. I'm thinking about making all of my NPC's look exactly like that, just as a joke.

I think that's a reprint form a previous SR book, I remember seeing it. It's an illustration of a Cyberarm Gyromount.
BookWyrm
QUOTE (winterhawk11)
QUOTE (BookWyrm)

Thanks, looking now.
Churl Beck
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Feb 3 2006, 12:06 AM)
QUOTE (Churl Beck @ Feb 3 2006, 04:34 AM)
I really liked Karl Waller's illustrations--interesting perspectives, good proportion, and a great movement of line.  My least favorite picture in SR4 is on page 334.  It seems to have nothing to do with the content of the page (or Shadowrun for that matter).  Maybe it's supposed to illustrate cosmetic modification, maybe not.  Maybe it's supposed to be an elf, maybe not.  I'm thinking about making all of my NPC's look exactly like that, just as a joke.

I think that's a reprint form a previous SR book, I remember seeing it. It's an illustration of a Cyberarm Gyromount.

In my copy that picture is on 336. I was referring to the portrait two pages before it that looks like it could have been someone's assignment for a pencil drawing class.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (winterhawk11)
QUOTE (BookWyrm)

thanks, just put one of those up on my desktop back ground.

MK, there was a thread about this, as soon as they posted the art for SR4. It was... pretty heated.

Personally my least favorite is the guy at the shooting range. I just dislike the style. A lot. I very much preferred the SR3, which was, IMO, at least competent with only one or two exceptions near the end there. I'm hoping for more from the next books.
Brahm
*puts down the crack pipe and goes to bed*
BookWyrm
QUOTE (Churl Beck)
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Feb 3 2006, 12:06 AM)
QUOTE (Churl Beck @ Feb 3 2006, 04:34 AM)
I really liked Karl Waller's illustrations--interesting perspectives, good proportion, and a great movement of line.  My least favorite picture in SR4 is on page 334.  It seems to have nothing to do with the content of the page (or Shadowrun for that matter).  Maybe it's supposed to illustrate cosmetic modification, maybe not.  Maybe it's supposed to be an elf, maybe not.  I'm thinking about making all of my NPC's look exactly like that, just as a joke.

In my copy that picture is on 336. I was referring to the portrait two pages before it that looks like it could have been someone's assignment for a pencil drawing class.

Ah, yes, I see it. Yes, it does lok a tad crude, doesn't it?
Brahm
I took that to be demal plating, which is listed in the table on that page and the end of its description is right under the picture. So wouldn't the grotesque deformation be correct?
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (BookWyrm)

Nothing compares to 299.
Churl Beck
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (BookWyrm)

Nothing compares to 299.

I will always be more tolerant of any picture that illustrates something about the Shadowrun universe (unlike page 334). 299 also succeeds in being mildly humorous, which is a plus. "All eyes sold in pairs."
MK Ultra
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
MK, there was a thread about this, as soon as they posted the art for SR4. It was... pretty heated.

Personally my least favorite is the guy at the shooting range. I just dislike the style. A lot. I very much preferred the SR3, which was, IMO, at least competent with only one or two exceptions near the end there. I'm hoping for more from the next books.

Iīm only on this forum since X-Mass or so. Maby getter, or I might have been suspendet for two weeks after excessive cursing.

I also find this pic very disgusting, btw are you sure itīs to depict a guy not a gal?

QUOTE (Brahm)
I took that to be demal plating, which is listed in the table on that page and the end of its description is right under the picture. So wouldn't the grotesque deformation be correct?

Also thought so, but if dp is suposed to look like this, it wonīt see much use in my game-world. I found the image from the Spinrad Advert in Shadowtech detracting enough for most charakters (especially females) even though it looks pretty cool there.
Eugene
Art I loved:
(pretty much all the stuff by Fergus Duggan)
pp. 5, 23, 37, 41, 44, 48, 53, 82, 87, 171, 207, 234, 257, 262, 270, most of the creatures and contacts

The stuff I didn't like was mostly because it looked unfinished and/or too soft (like p. 15, 18, or 165) or didn't get the tone right (p. 68, 112, 156).

Kudos to Adam for making the layout clean, sharp, and modern!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012