Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electric guitar physad powers (SR3)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
I think not. Tommy Vercetti has a gigantic 80s style cell phone. And you still fire M60 machineguns from helicopters and *not* miniguns. That's pretty 80s if you ask me.

Yeah, you're right; they had a boombox in there, too. I must have been thinking San Andreas... When was GTA:III set? Vice City was 80s, San Andreas was early 90s, and Liberty City looks like late 90s... It looks like SR is following the GTA model. SR1 was early to mid 80s, SR2 was mid to late 80s, SR3 was late 80s to mid 90s, and SR4 is mid 90s to present...
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ May 7 2006, 04:28 PM)
I think not.  Tommy Vercetti has a gigantic 80s style cell phone.  And you still fire M60 machineguns from helicopters and *not* miniguns.  That's pretty 80s if you ask me.

Yeah, you're right; they had a boombox in there, too. I must have been thinking San Andreas... When was GTA:III set? Vice City was 80s, San Andreas was early 90s, and Liberty City looks like late 90s... It looks like SR is following the GTA model. SR1 was early to mid 80s, SR2 was mid to late 80s, SR3 was late 80s to mid 90s, and SR4 is mid 90s to present...

I think that GTA III was a generic "present day" setting. IIRC the GTA games didn't place themselves chronologically until Vice City.
Fresno Bob
QUOTE (James McMurray @ May 4 2006, 03:06 PM)
A game requires sales to prosper. Trying to sell the 80s in today's market is a bad idea. We all saw what happened to the That 70's Show spinoff That 80's Show: it died a horrible death, despite being written in a time when more of the target audience had been born in the 80's instead of the 90's.

I liked that show. Chyler Leigh was hot as the punk chick.

Anyway, GTA1 was set in modern times, the expansion, GTA London: 1969 was obviously set in 1969, GTA2 was set in the near future I think, 3 was set in modern times, Vice City was set in '86, and San Andreas was set in... '92 or '93, I think. I don't think they ever actually specify beyond "The early 90's"
Nidhogg
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
And who says the 80s are worth a laugh and only a laugh and that's it?  I have a deep reverence for someone who jumps out from behind a corner with permed hair and a fashionable uzi and pumps me up with 25 rounds of 9x19 parabellum FMJ, which was what the 80s were all about.

The point wasn't that the 80's were a joke, but rather that portraying the future like the 1980's is riddiculous, because we've already progressed passed that era in modern society. Basing the 'future' off of past society and (in some cases) technology would only serve to shatter one's suspension of disbelief, and make it harder to roleplay a gritty, cyberpunk future, when the big ganger that you have to geek is sporting a beehive and listening to glamrock.

I don't really understand how you're supposed to "take the game seriously" because it now has wireless when the game in the first place has things like magic.  I mean, I don't take D&D seriously when I play it; how can you take a fat man in plate mail who screams FLAME PILLAR and sets you on fire seriously?

I find not taking the game seriously to be disrespectful to the narrative and the setting that the GM has constructed for you to play in, regardless of what game system we are using. As long as the game is consistant with its own canon, then fostering a suspension of disbelief (or at least shooing away the demon of the metagamer) should be easy. Besides, how many D&D players make thier characters fat?

In short, I don't take SR seriously in the first place because it already has magic.  Since it's not a super-serious game in the first place I think you only rob it of cultural significance and fun when you try to take out the outdated 80s schlock.  If your cell phone dosen't have a gigantic 80s antenna sticking out if it, it's not really a SR cell phone.

But magic is still in line with SR canon, and is used more-or-less consistently within the game sources, so I don't believe any major fracture of believability has occured. Besides, I think that with the 80s gone and dead, the cyberpunk genre on the whole needs to (and has, for the most part) moved past the era, so why not Shadowrun?
James McMurray
QUOTE (Nidhogg)
I find not taking the game seriously to be disrespectful to the narrative and the setting that the GM has constructed for you to play in, regardless of what game system we are using.

Even Toon and Paranoia? wink.gif
Kremlin KOA
Only Commies laugh during Paranoia sessions
James McMurray
* Blows Kremlin KOA up for having a commie name *

The computer is your friend!
Ophis
*Blows James away*

You were not cleared to kill that orange clearence troubleshooter, troubleshooter.
nezumi
*Blows self up*

You were not cleared to think about troubleshooting THAT troubleshooter.
James McMurray
Clone walks in: Hey guys, what'd I miss?

* Self destruct mechanism activates *

Computer's voice: That is an unauthorized question
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Nidhogg @ May 9 2006, 12:11 AM)

I find not taking the game seriously to be disrespectful to the narrative and the setting that the GM has constructed for you to play in, regardless of what game system we are using. As long as the game is consistant with its own canon, then fostering a suspension of disbelief (or at least shooing away the demon of the metagamer) should be easy. Besides, how many D&D players make thier characters fat?

I guess that means that whenever I GMed in the past and pelted the PCs with ninjas I was actually TROLLING MY OWN GAME! How avant garde of me. Clearly, I could not have just been trying to have fun.

Anyway, I'm glad that the GM DEMANDS SERIOUSNESS AND RESPECT AT ALL TIMES! Stupid uppity players, questioning the settings and believability. The GM needs only OBEDIENCE!!!!!!

Incidentally, in SR in the past I've played a fat, gluttonous, revolting man who went around in a black trenchcoat and wanted to be Max Payne. Seriously.

But magic is still in line with SR canon, and is used more-or-less consistently within the game sources, so I don't believe any major fracture of believability has occured. Besides, I think that with the 80s gone and dead, the cyberpunk genre on the whole needs to (and has, for the most part) moved past the era, so why not Shadowrun?

The 80s aren't gone and dead. There's a resurgence of interest in 80s pop culture and music, as I pointed out before; see 80s music radio stations and Vice City.

And the cyberpunk genre "needs" to move past the era? Or else what? It will kill us all? That statement dosen't make any sense because genres don't "need" to do anything.
hyzmarca
Don't forget remakes of He-Man and Transformers. Most people who buy Transformers toys today, including the $70 limited edition G1 Optimus Prime, are nostalgic young adults.
The ubbergeek
I think some peoples here forget an important cultural bit about cyberpunky worlds - the state of art and consomation/mode thing. The 80s surely died a LONG time ago in Shadowrun, even quicker than here. In Shadowrun, things evolve FAST.

It's all about SOTA and passé. It just took a different way from our world, and already two decades passed...
James McMurray
I haven't seen all of the Transformers remakes, but Micromachines is about as far from the 80s as you can get, unless you consider Pokemon the 80s.
nezumi
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Incidentally, in SR in the past I've played a fat, gluttonous, revolting man who went around in a black trenchcoat and wanted to be Max Payne. Seriously.

Funny, my fat, revolting man in the black trenchcoat was an elf poser who actually had the cyberware fangs and a katana he had 0 skill for.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012