Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Amish?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Comrade Ogilvy
I was thinking up names for a shadowrunner I'd like to play as, and for some reason I thought of the surname "Yoder." This immediately got me thinking of the Amish. I thought it would be a fun and unique endeavor to play an Amish girl who UGE'd into an elf during Rumspringa and decided not to return to the community for whatever reason.

Which got me to wondering; do the Amish exist anymore in 2070? I mean, they're barely hanging on now as it is, but when the different governments took their slices of the United States and chopped it up into the UCAS, with all the wild social revolution that took place during the Awakening, and a corporate agenda to spread out and conquer, could the Amish even exist anymore?

Regardless of the merits of my idea, I'm simply curious as to the possibilities of this inquiry. Are the Amish extinct in Shadowrun?
Trax
edit: Brainfart
Comrade Ogilvy
I believe that would be the Ute Indians, because that was their turf in the first place.

I think you're confusing the Amish with the Mormons though; the Amish's two biggest settlements are in Ohio (Holmes County) and Pennsylvania (Lancaster County) respectively. They both shun most all technology, but they don't have any of the sophisticated resources (or will to use them) that the NAN had. Both settlements are on UCAS territory.
mfb
i'd have the Amish bought out by Ares. it'd be a combination of direct purchase of their land, corporate subsidizing of their quaint, authentic ways, and convincing the UCAS gummint to claim their land and award it to Ares for development. Ares would then turn around and turn Holmes and Lancaster Counties (maybe just one of them) into a nature preserve/theme park, where hordes of gawking tourists could trample the privacy and dignity of the few real Amish with the strength of will to cling to their principles in the face of being made into cultural whores. as the Amish population dwindled, it would of course be supplemented with Ares employees who live the Amish way from 9-5.
hyzmarca
It is a great idea but there is one small problem, people don't goblinize into elves. You're either born an elf or you'll never be one. She could have goblinized into an ork or a troll. If she was already an elf she could have SURGEd into a bizarre elf metatype.

Night ones are a popular metatype choice because they're sort of like dark elves and they have munchy stat bonuses. I think dyrads would be better because no one plays Dyrads and they aren't nearly as munchy. Plus, all dyrads are female which gives you an excuse to be a lesbian elf. You could even have an Amish elf boy SURGE into a female dyrad, making things very wierd.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Trax)
Who has what used to be Utah?

If you're referring to Salt Lake and all that , the mormons have it. IIRC, they helped Daniel Howling Coyote while he and his were "on the lam", and in return, got to keep their lands. So now all of SLC is like BYU campus. Meaning that girls have to wear skirts of certain length, no caffiene, no kissing in public, no smoking. That sort of thing. Check out SoNA
nick012000
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
It is a great idea but there is one small problem, people don't goblinize into elves. You're either born an elf or you'll never be one. She could have goblinized into an ork or a troll. If she was already an elf she could have SURGEd into a bizarre elf metatype.

Night ones are a popular metatype choice because they're sort of like dark elves and they have munchy stat bonuses. I think dyrads would be better because no one plays Dyrads and they aren't nearly as munchy. Plus, all dyrads are female which gives you an excuse to be a lesbian elf. You could even have an Ahash elf boy SURGE into a female dyrad, making things very wierd.
Drace
Actually, isn't there a mention of amish under the flaw uneducated, I dont have my copy or SR4 to check though.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Drace)
Actually, isn't there a mention of amish under the flaw uneducated, I dont have my copy or SR4 to check though.

Praise be, the writers weren't complete idiots. It references Luddites, not Amish.

The question's been answered, but out of interest what's the relevance?

~J
Zolhex
Well just to put the obvious answer up here because it is late and tis the best your gonna get outta me right now.

Remember it is your game you want to have the amish still around then go for it same with any social order and/or religion.

As to what the game designers have or have not said is around I sadly haven't a clue but I am sure someone who has read it will chime in and if not writen in yet wait for a designer to give his/her 2 nuyen worth lol.
Aku
Having lived in the lancaster county area for 12 years, i think i ca say with some certainity that the Amish would still be around, horse poop and all. What better proof that their way of life is the right way of life than magic, SURGE, UGE and everything else in SR.

as an aside, i dont think they would LET anyone that expresses in any fashion in the community, or would shun them if it happened while "on the homestead"
nick012000
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Drace @ Feb 16 2006, 01:39 AM)

Praise be, the writers weren't complete idiots. It references Luddites, not Amish.

The question's been answered, but out of interest what's the relevance?

~J

The Mormons live in Utah.
Kagetenshi
Yeah, I get that. Also, many practitioners of Shinto live in Japan. That doesn't make either of them at all relevant to the Amish.

~J
Dog
Sounds to me like Amish lifestyle would fall under what a lot of people are calling "pinkskin."
Tanka
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Yeah, I get that. Also, many practitioners of Shinto live in Japan. That doesn't make either of them at all relevant to the Amish.

~J

That was just Trax getting confused.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

I think the whole mormon thing was a simple case of mixing up words. I may be wrong.
PBTHHHHT
Recently I read an article of quite a few Amish selling their lands for a good price in Lancaster area and moving to places like South Dakota (or was it North? I forget). Thing is, while they might be 'uneducated' in the form of formal education, that does not mean they are not shrewd in business. If they do get bought out by a megacorp for their land in places like Penn, they'll probably move out further in some remote areas for farming, etc... They'll still be around. The main question I would have is what is their stance of magic?

Gawd, I remember driving through Lancaster and watching the traffic back up because of the horse and buggy on the main street. Wheeee.
Tanka
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
Gawd, I remember driving through Lancaster and watching the traffic back up because of the horse and buggy on the main street. Wheeee.

This is why, when driving from my home to anywhere that could pass Lancaster, I either give myself an extra two hours, or I find a way around Lancaster.
stevebugge
I kind of like the idea of planting runners in an Amish Community. Imagine a a decker or technomancer trying to fit in in a place with no matrix, or even electricity, where everyone is expected to do physical labor. It seems like it would present a situation with a lot potential for some light humorous roleplay. Likewise the Amish background character moving to the big Sprawl could be interesting to play. Maybe Incompetence in electronics but having some obscure but useful artisan skills or a hidden aptitude they only discover after leaving the Amish Community.
blakkie
Yes, Ares sponsered and promoted Amish Rake Fights!
Trax
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Feb 16 2006, 09:53 AM)

~J

I think the whole mormon thing was a simple case of mixing up words. I may be wrong.

Yeah, I knew it was the Mormons in Utah, but I had a brainfart and for some reason mixed them with the Amish.
Kagetenshi
It happens. Just so long as at the end of the discussion they're unconfused, all's well smile.gif

~J
Aku
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
They'll still be around. The main question I would have is what is their stance of magic?

Like i said, i dont think ANYTHING outside of their normal, accepted Homo Sapiens would be allowed to remain in the community. They havent accepted ELECTRICITY yet, what makes you think that they'd accept an elf, or an orc, or magic?
Trax
They would probably burn people who can do magic at the stake.
PBTHHHHT
But what if magic are actually miracles and such given by God (in their view)? The spirits that are summoned taking form of angels and such. Hmmmm?
DestroyYouAlot
Here in New England, we have the Mennonites and the Quakers. We fraggin' rule in the Radical Reformation Anabaptist sect contest!

QUOTE (AKU)
Like i said, i dont think ANYTHING outside of their normal, accepted Homo Sapiens would be allowed to remain in the community. They havent accepted ELECTRICITY yet, what makes you think that they'd accept an elf, or an orc, or magic?

Actually, from what I know of the Amish, they'd simply accept the meta as the same member of the community they were in the first place - God made them that way, right? In the real world, the Amish have an extremely high rate of "genetic expression," in the form of hereditary genetic disorders. After all, almost the entire population is descended from a few hundred people three hundred years ago. (That's not the healthiest gene pool going!) But they accept these disorders as "Gottes Wille" (god's will), so I don't imagine they'd even bat an eye if Isaac Jr. was born with tusks.

QUOTE (Trax)

Again, the Amish don't believe in capital punishment - only god has the right to take a life, in their tradition. A Wizard would, however, probably get shunned until they left the community.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Aku)

Y'mean aside from the fact that they have?

The Amish are not monolithic. Some communities allow electricity, but stipulate that it must be generated by the community and used only for proper functions (most things you can do with a twelve-volt battery, recharging said batteries, milk churning equipment, and a few other specific things I've forgotten) rather than on simple conveniences like lightbulbs, etc. Gas-powered tilling machines are sometimes allowed if pulled by humans or horses. Chemical pesticides are sometimes used. It's a remarkable few that haven't accepted anything of the kind. The primary concern here is not technology per se, but the effect that it will have on the community and on the work ethic of the individuals that comprise it.

In summary, with all due respect you don't know what you're talking about.

~J
Moon-Hawk
So then, what would more proactive Amish communities be accepting by the 2070s? Maybe they allow computers, but not matrix connection or games. (not even solitaire)
They probably mostly allow electricity in most forms, and cars.
Maybe they even allow video TV, provided it's only news and weather. (not trid, though)
No Simsense, I'm betting.

Thoughts?
Aku
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Aku @ Feb 16 2006, 03:00 PM)

Y'mean aside from the fact that they have?

The Amish are not monolithic. Some communities allow electricity, but stipulate that it must be generated by the community and used only for proper functions (most things you can do with a twelve-volt battery, recharging said batteries, milk churning equipment, and a few other specific things I've forgotten) rather than on simple conveniences like lightbulbs, etc. Gas-powered tilling machines are sometimes allowed if pulled by humans or horses. Chemical pesticides are sometimes used. It's a remarkable few that haven't accepted anything of the kind. The primary concern here is not technology per se, but the effect that it will have on the community and on the work ethic of the individuals that comprise it.

In summary, with all due respect you don't know what you're talking about.

~J

all of my experience comes from the lancaster county Amish, and, while it's been a few years since i've been in the area, i've never had any experience with any of them doing ANYTHING electrical. The farms all had the men with two horses pulling the tine plows, EVERYTHING was done by hand. In general, in lancaster, atleast, there is a second group that behaves much like amish, however, have adopted some of the "comforts" that we know. Those being the Menonites, they drive and use electronic devices, but they arent Amish.
DestroyYouAlot
QUOTE (Aku)
all of my experience comes from the lancaster county Amish, and, while it's been a few years since i've been in the area, i've never had any experience with any of them doing ANYTHING electrical. The farms all had the men with two horses pulling the tine plows, EVERYTHING was done by hand. In general, in lancaster, atleast, there is a second group that behaves much like amish, however, have adopted some of the "comforts" that we know. Those being the Menonites, they drive and use electronic devices, but they arent Amish.

There actually are groups of "Black Bumper Amish" who drive cars (no chrome allowed) and use electricity - but, needless to say, many other communities don't consider them Amish, anymore.
Nyxll
There are some really large communities of Amish just outside of Kitcher/Waterloo. Some of my cousins have worked with them, and the information that I had relayed to me, was that for work, they were allowed machinery, but not at home. There is a great deal of Amish furniture sold around here, and the pieces are definitely crafted with power tools, but not huge machinery. All of the information I have is heresy, but the same stories repeated by several different people.
ShadowDragon8685
By 2070, they'd have been wiped out. Lancaster County is, after all, prime farming real-estate, and it's got to have a fairly positive background count, given all the years of hard Amish labor and wide-eyed tourists flocking to the railroad museum.

Which means that some corporation that wanted the land would have funded a "Racial hatred" gang that targeted the Amish, and wiped them out. Then stepped in at the last minute with a bunch of HTR teams, wiped out their dirty-work-doers, too bad, so sad, not in time to save the innovent folks who lived there. But we feel really sorry about the mess, and we'll buy the land from the government for a lot of money, and then farm it.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
By 2070, they'd have been wiped out. Lancaster County is, after all, prime farming real-estate, and it's got to have a fairly positive background count, given all the years of hard Amish labor and wide-eyed tourists flocking to the railroad museum.

Which means that some corporation that wanted the land would have funded a "Racial hatred" gang that targeted the Amish, and wiped them out. Then stepped in at the last minute with a bunch of HTR teams, wiped out their dirty-work-doers, too bad, so sad, not in time to save the innovent folks who lived there. But we feel really sorry about the mess, and we'll buy the land from the government for a lot of money, and then farm it.

Probably not, I'd see the corporations offering them nuyen for the land and many of them accepting it and heading off to wherever. I can't find the freaking article, but I read it within the past few years about the new tensions arising in North or South Dakota between the locales and their new amish neighbors, many of whom had sold their lands in Lancaster for a nice profit and moving to the new state to get cheap land.

It's cheaper than the round about way you're talking about and less bodies too, less effort to work on the pr about all these dead amish folks and such. No, the corp will first offer for the land.

Racial hatred group against the Amish..? ok...
DestroyYouAlot
QUOTE (Nyxll)
All of the information I have is heresy, but the same stories repeated by several different people.

I'm sure that plenty of the information you have would be heresy, in the right place (and an Amish community just might fit the bill), but I'm guessing that you mean hearsay. twirl.gif
mfb
there are lots of quasi-Amish communities around, some of which call themselves different things and some of which call themselves Amish. some of them only keep the dress codes; in my hometown (Franklin co) i see lots of women in bonnets and ankle-length dresses driving cars around town.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Feb 16 2006, 03:27 PM)
So then, what would more proactive Amish communities be accepting by the 2070s?  Maybe they allow computers, but not matrix connection or games. (not even solitaire)
They probably mostly allow electricity in most forms, and cars.
Maybe they even allow video TV, provided it's only news and weather.  (not trid, though)
No Simsense, I'm betting.

Thoughts?

I doubt any of those save the electricity will make it in. They'll probably have the latest tech in modified crops, etc., but if I'm understanding the "style" of the tech that does make it in (in the communities where it does become accepted, of course) I don't think those would fit. For example, how is a computer going to help you perform proper physical labour the way a powered tilling machine moved by hand/horse will? Etc.
it's got to have a fairly positive background count, given all the years of hard Amish labor and wide-eyed tourists flocking to the railroad museum.

I doubt there will be an aspected background count, probably the straight-up kind. I'd imagine especially around tightly-knit communities the count might get pretty messy—maybe even 3-range.

Remember, love and happy fluffy emotions pollute the astral just as badly as suffering and hate. The only difference is that it takes a little longer and looks prettier—when you try to cast a spell, it doesn't hurt you any less.

~J
Aku
i thought "happy" background counts helped magic? or am i confusing that with aspected?
Tanka
You're confusing with aspected.
Aristotle
I think it's pretty easy to misunderstand the amish, to think them unable to keep up due to their odd view of technology, and so on... I grew up in PA, and my grandparents were brethren so I've had some exposure to the culture. It's more complex than most folks give it credit for. I don't know that their is an official answer as to whether the amish still exist or not, but it's pretty easy to do the research and decide for your own campaign.

Wikipedia article on Mennonites makes for a great place to start, as the amish split from the mennonites originally.

...have come to be recognized for the practice of accepting technology selectively - for instance, many sects accept battery-powered cellphones but strictly limit wired telephones and power line electricity

Interesting... I wonder if in 2070 they may have finally accepted wired networks to distance themselves from the wireless.
DigitalSoul
QUOTE (Aristotle)
Interesting... I wonder if in 2070 they may have finally accepted wired networks to distance themselves from the wireless.

Heh, I can just see the possibilities of having a runner team acting on bad information to mistakenly do very nasty things to an amish community that they thought was a base for a Winternight cell pre-crash.
JongWK
"Clip-clop clip-clop clip-clop *BANG* clip-clop clip-clop clip-clop..."

-- Amish drive-by

Sorry, had to get that one out of my system. silly.gif
bladepoet
Well,

one thing is clear out of most of the reponses so far, most of us seem to have read the wikipedia article wink.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish

I think one thing which hasn't been highlighted is why the Amish don't like wired phones, powerline electricity etc, and that is because they do not want to be dependant on the outside world.

They don't use machinery so that no man becomes greedy and wants more land then he can till himself.

Personally, I'd say some form of amish would survive into 2070, especially as they are geographically well disparsed in the USA. Alot of their reasoning seems to be similar to alot of native american and even elven attitudes, i.e. back to basics, non-reliance on tech.

bladepoet

stevebugge
Based on those beliefs they would probably be welcomed in some of the NAN Nations. They aren't tribal but the work hard and don't pollute much, and are probably pretty unobtrusive in a large sparsely populated territory.
Starfurie
QUOTE (Trax)

No, they wouldn't. Amish are total pacifics. They will not fight even to defend themselves. And they don't just live in those two counties, those are the highest concentrations. They're all through out northeast Ohio and western Penn.

Their native language is German. "We" are The English.
blakkie
Out this way, western Canada, the Radical Reformist representitives are the Hutterites. They live in large communial farming colonies, have fairly set dress code, and largely are bilingual speaking both English and their dialect of German (they originated in Austria several hundred years ago), which gives them a fairly recognizable accent. They tend to be hands-on working folk, however they definately use modern conviences like large farm equipment, automated livestock feeding systems, cell phones, and such.

Many colonies also supplement their income with any of a number of crafting industries such as goose down quilts, processed foods, and knitting. Alcohol consumption, mainly homemade wines, also is prevalent on some of the colonies and if you want in-person tutoring on swearing in German they can be an excellent local source. smile.gif

Coffee is ok, but smoking is usually forbidden. For many of the individuals though that means just don't get caught. I once came upon and gave a ride to a fellow that looked about 16. He had be walking from the colony to a neighbour's place to trade homemade wine for cigarettes. The notable thing? He was dressed in a light jacket and his traditional cap that doesn't cover his ears. He didn't even have any mitts on, he just had his hands in his pants pockets. It was -25C and a nasty wind. This was bald flat praire, and he was about 1 1/2 miles into a 3 mile walk. Next time you whine about having to step outside for a couple minutes at work to smoke think about that guy.

I would expect them to survive the 6th World well because they have shown that they will use pragmatism to adapt, and flurish, in a changing world. Many colonies have shown strength in communal orginization and decent business skills. Even those many of their teens and some adults have gone AWOL, the colonies themselves tend to continue to prosper and grow.

P.S. It is interesting to note that there are 3 different branches of Hutterites colonies, and there is friction and some theological disagreements between the different branches. But many outsiders that do not deal with them do not know about this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012