Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The tisoz Shadowrun Fiction Contest
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
SL James
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Aku - good stories rarely write themselves. You really need to log consistient hours to produce one.

I take it that that's why a great many "creative" types get all defensive when people rip their works apart.

That and ginormous egos.
Kagetenshi
Indeed. Ego is critical to the creative process, or at least that's what we claim to get away with our oversized examples.

~J
coolgrafix
So what's the scoop, tisoz? Let me know if there's a status thread or external web site I'm missing.
John Campbell
Ego is a tool that must be used wisely. You've gotta be pretty arrogant to believe that you can write something that's worth the writing, but if you overdo it, you end up ranting about how everyone is too stupid for their pathetic little minds to grasp your sublime artistic vision and not allowing anyone to edit your work because it's clearly already perfect, having burst fully-formed from your infallible keyboard. And then the Brain Eater gets you. I won't name names, but I'm sure everyone can think of some best-selling authors this has happened to.
tisoz
QUOTE (coolgrafix)
So what's the scoop, tisoz?  Let me know if there's a status thread or external web site I'm missing.

This is the status thread, as it stands. Sorry, I have been busy lately and not visiting DS.

A few months ago, I had a computer problem and lost several of my most accessed files. Since then, I have tried to keep things backed up in several locations. This is why I have asked for submissions via PM, with the Contest and title in the subject heading. Then I can leave the submission in the PM folder without worrying about losing it and also easily identify the submissions as the folder gets more and more cluttered.

The General Contest with the deadline of 10 submissions, currently stands at 4 submissions. They are: The Samaritan (which is disqualified from winning); Better Run, Runner; Another Night in Poland; and Jungle Fever: Epilogue. If you have submitted a story not listed here, please resubmit it.

I also have a single entry for each of the following specific topic contests: A Typical Datasteal, Back to School Special, and Initiation.

[ Spoiler ]
tisoz
I have a 5th submission for the General Fiction contest, Number One with a Bullet.
Wounded Ronin
Number One With A Bullet? Isn't that, like, from the SR Genesis video game or something? It's a line of text that Heartbane says when she meets you, or something. Either that it was Freyja. I think...
SL James
Less than a week for the Initiation stories deadline, too.
Wounded Ronin
Well, looks like it's time for Initiation.
SL James
Damn. That was fast. Meh.
mfb
so. any movement?
mfb
a'ight. gonna give this another week, then post mine on the boards. and by "week" i mean "as-of-yet undetermined amount of time before i get tired of waiting, which period shall be no more than seven days".
mfb
it's been a week!
SL James
A dog's week.
Critias
So, right. Still taking submissions for the General one, then, unless I misunderstood something. If I can get outta Warmachine mode, I might toss something together.
mfb
if it gets moving again, i'll submit another.
Critias
Now, that said, Warmachine mode's got me pretty good right now, with Gencon just around the corner. Also, about 13,000 views on my WM fiction thread (which is sort of motivating, y'know?).

Hrm...General Shadowrun Stuff...story, story...hmm...
SL James
There is that whole week between November 5th and 11th that we timejumped.
tisoz
QUOTE (mfb @ Jul 26 2006, 12:26 AM)
a'ight. gonna give this another week, then post mine on the boards. and by "week" i mean "as-of-yet undetermined amount of time before i get tired of waiting, which period shall be no more than seven days".

It looks like you desire instant gratification as much as I. wink.gif Too bad this is the first time I checked in since 7-23-06.

In answer to your question, I have eight seven general fiction submissions and no current specific topic submissions.
[ Spoiler ]

If I get only ONE specific topic submission, I am grouping it with the general topics and posting those submissions. It has been months since I have gotten any general submissions and I think authors would like to see the stories posted as well as readers having something to enjoy.

It will also help me cut ties to this place that little bit sooner.
mfb
heh. figures. well, if you don't mind waiting another day or two, i've got another story almost finished.
tisoz
QUOTE (mfb)
heh. figures. well, if you don't mind waiting another day or two, i've got another story almost finished.

That sounds great, and thanks for not biting my head off about the instant gratification remark. I read your post and times and did not realize it concerned a story you submitted months ago.
mfb
haha, you shouldn't have said anything, i thought it was sarcasm.
tisoz
QUOTE (mfb)
haha, you shouldn't have said anything, i thought it was sarcasm.

Uhm...yeah, that's what it was...
tisoz
Back up to 8 submissions for the general fiction contest!
Critias
PM sent.
tisoz
9 submissions for the general contest. 0 for the topic ending tomorrow.

If I get only 1 submission for tomorrows topic, I'll throw it in with the 9 and post all of them.
mfb
brain is marmosets. fiction is submitted. eleven straight hours of plotting, writing, and editing. my teeth all have teeth.

they all have teeth.
Witness
Ew. Now that's a story idea / title right there. wink.gif
SL James
I think I saw that picture in MitS.
tisoz
There will be fiction posted tomorrow!
SL James
Will we ever see the fiction?
Critias
I like fiction!
Critias
Yeah, yeah, it's a double post, sorry. But I wanted to bump it so Tisoz could see, and hopefully reply (while he's on).

Just how much does the poll thing really matter? Is it a "vote here, and whoever gets the most votes wins the book" sort of thing? Or is the poll there just to, like, make people feel good, and you (Tisoz) still just picks his favorite out of the batch? Just wonderin'.
tisoz
Historically, the poll results have resembled my own preferences. The poll and the accompanying discussions have had an influence on my decisions. If I like a story much better than the poll winner, there would be multiple winners. In this most recent contest, I am inclined to make more than one award.
Critias
Got'cha. I missed a few of the contests, so I wasn't sure what the dealie was. Thanks for the explanation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012