Full Version: The tisoz Shadowrun Fiction Contest
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
tisoz
The tisoz Shadowrun Fiction Contest

Submission guidelines:
* SR setting - not the impossible by SR rules
* Pre 2065
* Length - long enough to tell the story, short enough to withstand ADD.
* Please Title the submission.
* Indicate which contest you are entering your submission. A Specific Topic contest (and which) or the general topic contest. It would be nice to have "Contest - Title" in Message Title box. It helps keep them easily organized.
* Edits will be accepted until contest is concluded. (The earlier you get them, the better chance people will understand you.)
* Personal Message submissions to me. Include the Story title in the submission (or as the message header.) The Personal Message Function can be quickly reached by clicking on the new messages button at the top of the page. One of the features is automatically saving a copy for yourself when you send the PM (I suggest doing this.) I should be able to use the quote function to easily cut and paste without having to go through and format things like paragraph breaks and italics.
* Multiple Submissions for the same contest accepted.

* General Topic Contest - Fiction on any SR topic you want to write. When 10 Submissions are received, the entries will be posted. The next General Fiction Contest starts, awaiting the next 10 submissions. I'll post to this thread when authors submit a story so others can feel the pressure of meeting this floating deadline see how the contest is progressing. It will also keep the thread current.

Specific Topic Contest and proposed deadlines:
The Rigger's POV - Lots of stories about other types of characters, but few that show why some say the rigger should rule.
- October 1
The Typical Datasteal - Simple team pulling the simple data steal, like Physical from Harlequin.
- December 1

A word of advice: I would like to see fresh fiction. If it was posted somewhere already there is a chance I saw it, which may hurt your prospects for winning.

The prizes. I'll be letting the winner(s) choose from a group of older SR RPG books. Hopefully the quality of the submissions will induce me to include some rare titles in the pool. The Winner(s) will be responsible for shipping costs. (This way I won't limit contestants to the US.) Just actual shipping cost, not handling or packaging fees. This has been running $4.55 with delivery confirmation. If the book is less than 13 oz, 1st class postage becomes an option.

The First tisoz Shadowrun Fiction Contest
Stuffer Shack Stocking Stuffers
Where Were You On the Night of Rage?
Initiation
Suggested Topics
tisoz's Second Shadowrun Fiction Contest
The Third Periodic tisoz Shadowrun Fiction Contest
tisoz's April '08 Shadowrun Fiction Contest
tisoz
Feel free to keep suggesting topics on the Suggested Topics thread.

I am also considering setting the deadlines a bit closer, 5 short stories by December does not seem like too many, especially if you are not entering every contest.

Also, feel free to link the contest on other appropriate sites. The more, the merrier.

Thoughts?
Aku
Well, consider, it's a minimum of 5 contests, if you have a glutney of general entries though, you could easily do more than that.
tisoz
The first submission is in for the general fiction contest.
tisoz
Another Submission is in for the general fiction contest.
Wounded Ronin
You know, I might just write some fiction since there's no gaming to be had where I am. Esp. if these deadlines are falling in the summer or later. In the unlikely event that I win something, can I just award it to someone else? (Since there's no gaming where I'll be for the next 2 years.)

EDIT:

So, to clarify. If I want to write for the specific topic contest can I just write one story on one topic, or do I have to write a story for each topic?
Arkelias
This is a wonderful idea! I'll definitely be submitting, and I can't wait to read the other entries. What a cool way to get more Shadowrun fiction written! I've long since read all the novels and have been fiending for new material to read...
SL James
QUOTE (tisoz)
The Rigger's POV - Lots of stories about other types of characters, but few that show why some say the rigger should rule.
- October 1

OMFG... Do I dare wait until October 1 to submit my rigger story, or should I submit it to the General?

Oooh... Tough one.
tisoz
2 more submissions entered for the first general fiction contest (deadline of when I get 10 or more.

The Official Shadowrun site is also soliciting short stories. I thought the submission guidelines sounded very similar to these, right down to the award of a SR book. One big difference, I am not taking all rights to the winning story.

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
If I want to write for the specific topic contest can I just write one story on one topic, or do I have to write a story for each topic?

(This would be a diabolical plan to get more fiction, or probably none at all.)

No, each contest is an individual contest with individual prize awarded. Participate in as many or as few as you wish. The specific topics were to help overcome writers block and for fans to make suggestions they want to read.

Topics are still open for suggestion, as I have many books I can put up for prizes. If it looks like I'll run out, I'll get some more. If other people want to help sponsor prizes, I'm sure we can work it out. Maybe even award some second place prizes if there are some really outstanding entries and/or lots of entries.

And just a reminder, because it keeps getting omitted, Title your story and include it with your submission.
Frackula
I'm sending one entry to both contests, and you can't stop me!
tisoz
QUOTE (Frackula)

There are currently 6 contests with deadlines, and I don't see any from you in my messages, so I can just block you. nyahnyah.gif
Frackula
QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (Frackula)

There are currently 6 contests with deadlines, and I don't see any from you in my messages, so I can just block you. nyahnyah.gif

Those 6 are yours. I was talking about you and the official contest. If there are four more people running contests, I must have missed them.
tisoz
Hey, I already fogot about that other contest. (I've slept since that post.)

Are you entering the same story in both contests? If so and you win both, do I send the book to Fanpro because they are the owner of the work and then they send it to you as their payment? wink.gif

[ Spoiler ]
SL James
Theirs is fourth edition, contingent on a significant number of false setting assumptions, shows a marked preference for established authors, requires you to go through a two-step submission process, and has this particular "Do:"

Use our set of core characters. This helps build their personalities and gives them depth. Writers whose story ideas are under consideration can be sent some basic information to work with, if need be.

*groans*

No thanks. I prefer my own "set of core characters."

Oh, and it's pretty much never going to happen where someone wins both because if E or someone else at Fanpro found out about the dual submission they'd probably shitcan it and save themselves any potential trouble. I can't send a letter to the editor of multiple papers without someone getting their nipple twisted, and this is for a prize.
Synner
QUOTE (tisoz @ Mar 4 2006, 04:57 PM)
Sorry, but their contest seems like a rip.  I guess that's part of being a money grubbing for profit venture. ;)

For the record, FanPro is not holding a contest - what has been posted on the official website are "submission guidelines for website fiction". As such there is no competition nor are there any "winners", only submissions that are accepted and those that are rejected.

The guidelines provided are in many respects similar to the normal freelancer submission guidelines and reflect the normal weeding process developers have to go through on SR books: first you submit an outline/synopsis for review and then, if it's approved, you are asked to write up the full story. Submissions picked up by FanPro are to be compensated with complementary book(s) as payment (rather than as a prize) and published on the official website (becoming the property of FanPro LLC).

Open website fiction submissions were something that was planned long before SR4 came out (in fact something similar was in the works for SR3 when SR4 was announced) and were put on a backburner given the need to first establish the 2070's setting and provide potential writers with some foundations to build on.

Unsaid is the fact that these open submissions allow FanPro to sound out potential talents as to their grip and understanding of the setting, its themes and style as FanPro sees it. So those of you interested in getting your toe in the door towards freelancing on Shadowrun books in the future, this provides an ideal opportunity to showcase your work.

Regarding the references to core characters, this simply goes to the fact that SR4 will be addressing some of the problems inherent to the old Shadowland format (such as the proliferation of one-post shadowtalkers, the open-access nature of the posting system and lack of character identification this led too) by focusing on a core group of runners and developing these characters in relevant fiction as well as the setting. This does not mean that these will be the sole protagonists or even the main ones, but hopefully they will become the kind of signature characters people fondly remember from the days of SR1.
tisoz
(A response to my sarcastic one line comment in a spoiler. Can we say over reaction, kids?)

QUOTE (Synner @ Mar 5 2006, 10:52 AM)
For the record, FanPro is not holding a contest - what has been posted on the official website are "submission guidelines for website fiction". As such there is no competition nor are there any "winners", only submissions that are accepted and those that are rejected.

Ok, so the difference is I am publishing all submissions here on Dumpshock and FanPro is only showing the ones they are buying with complimentary product. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it may be a duck. wink.gif

The guidelines provided are in many respects similar to the normal freelancer submission guidelines <yadda yadda>

I think I mentioned this part, you ignore how it differs from the norm and how, IMO, it looked familiar to the guidelines for my (non)contest. (Yes, I think I'm going to call this something other than a contest since it is getting "published" online. Then all the submissions can claim a writing credit, too.

Submissions picked up by FanPro are to be compensated with complementary book(s) as payment (rather than as a prize) and published on the official website (becoming the property of FanPro LLC).

So the stories I feel are acceptable are now going to be compensated with complimentary book(s) as payment (rather than prize) [quack, quack wink.gif], published on Dumpshock, and perhaps some of the other websites that have queried, but the author will retain all rights.

This rights thing kind of pisses me off. Yeah, it is a good way to get your foot in the door to write for low pay. But, what if your story is great, turns out to be the premise for The Shadowrun Movie, that spawns the whole series of Movies, comic books, and TV spinoffs? (Far Fetched, but maybe not so.) You get nada, not a friggin' dime more than that complimentary book. If FanPro wanted to be ethical, like an actual magazine publisher of short story fiction, the rights would be for first run of the material, or limited to the media it was published. This is where the moneygrubbing slight comes in. Sure, as a negotiator, I would want as much as possible for as little as possible (which FanPro's deal has in spades, it would be hard to get a worse deal), but they are structuring this deal like all their other submissions and it should be structured differently.

Open website fiction submissions were something that was planned long before SR4 came out (in fact something similar was in the works for SR3 when SR4 was announced) and were put on a backburner given the need to first establish the 2070's setting and provide potential writers with some foundations to build on.

FanPro has open submissions for everything! It must. All the work is done by freelancers. All the work is done by one full time person and a majority of work by freelancers. Thanks for the selective history for the uninitiated.

Unsaid is the fact that these open submissions allow FanPro to sound out potential talents as to their grip and understanding of the setting, its themes and style as FanPro sees it. So those of you interested in getting your toe in the door towards freelancing on Shadowrun books in the future, this provides an ideal opportunity to showcase your work.

Agreed, it is the main incentive for tolerating exploitation. Established writers may enter stories they have already written, or write on going after a credit (that looks good on a submission for work that actually pays), but if they do it for the compensation being offered, they value their labor on par with contest entrants. (quack, quack)

Regarding the references to core characters, this simply goes to the fact that SR4 will be addressing some of the problems inherent to the old Shadowland format (such as the proliferation of one-post shadowtalkers, the open-access nature of the posting system and lack of character identification this led too) by focusing on a core group of runners and developing these characters in relevant fiction as well as the setting. This does not mean that these will be the sole protagonists or even the main ones, but hopefully they will become the kind of signature characters people fondly remember from the days of SR1

Winterhawk11, Robyn, explained this in the other thread. Labeling them core characters is misleading, and until explained, totally confusing the matter. If 2 or 3 people can not brain storm a better term, I would not want them to be the guiding creative force behind my product.

Thanks for posting, Synner. I am glad you cleared things up, especially how the official FanPro short story submissions is far superior to my little, two bit fiction contests. I doubt anyone associated with FanPro, or looking for writers would ever waste their time actually reading any of the submissions to my contest, after all, they are all about abandoned product. But I have a feeling they are...

[ Spoiler ]
Adam
tisoz, I generally like your posts and your efforts to do things as opposed to just talking about them, so I'm disappointed that you're thinking this is some sort of us vs. them situation, when it's really, really not.

This rights thing kind of pisses me off. Yeah, it is a good way to get your foot in the door to write for low pay. But, what if your story is great, turns out to be the premise for The Shadowrun Movie, that spawns the whole series of Movies, comic books, and TV spinoffs? (Far Fetched, but maybe not so.) You get nada, not a friggin' dime more than that complimentary book. If FanPro wanted to be ethical, like an actual magazine publisher of short story fiction, the rights would be for first run of the material, or limited to the media it was published. This is where the moneygrubbing slight comes in. Sure, as a negotiator, I would want as much as possible for as little as possible (which FanPro's deal has in spades, it would be hard to get a worse deal), but they are structuring this deal like all their other submissions and it should be structured differently.

Please remember that FanPro doesn't own the rights to Shadowrun, and that rights ownership issues are not dictated by FanPro.
tisoz
QUOTE (Adam)
tisoz, I generally like your posts and your efforts to do things as opposed to just talking about them, so I'm disappointed that you're thinking this is some sort of us vs. them situation, when it's really, really not.

<omitted my bitching quote for brevity>

Please remember that FanPro doesn't own the rights to Shadowrun, and that rights ownership issues are not dictated by FanPro.

I hope I said, I find the whole thing humorous, and I like the possibility of more fiction, especially essentially free fiction.

I don't think it is us versus them, or a competition. And my post was in general just good natured bitching, if that is possible, and complaining. I was trying to point out some semantics and just plain antics. (Also, it seems like a lopsided deal, as I hear the entire RPG freelancer industry is.) If it causes FanPro (or whomever) to rethink their policy, or writers to negotiate the rights they are selling, I have succeeded. As it is, I think FanPro or WizKids or whoever owns/controls them will just tell the writer to not bother submitting. One of the submissions I got, I told the writer he would not win, as it didn't conform to my guidelines. It is still going to be entered though, to be enjoyed by everyone.

The fiction ownership issue I'm sure is more boilerplate. I could substitute WizKids for FanPro, but then I might still be wrong and it should be whatever company owns them. Sorry for perpetuating the fallicy, but I think readers understood the writer was giving up ownership to a business entity for little compensation. In fact, I haven't thoroughly read all the Dumpshock fine print to see if my posting the submissions here gives ownership of the stories to Dumpshock. Please notify me if this is the case!

Damn, I keep wanting to keep these short and simple, because it is not a big deal to me as I know how I will deal with the issue, but I am not sure if others see the ramifications I try to point out. It's all good, but maybe not as good as it seems. (My 2 bit contest included.)
Adam
In fact, I haven't thoroughly read all the Dumpshock fine print to see if my posting the submissions here gives ownership of the stories to Dumpshock. Please notify me if this is the case!

Certainly not the case.
Synner
QUOTE (tisoz @ Mar 5 2006, 07:04 PM)
QUOTE (Synner @ Mar 5 2006, 10:52 AM)

Ok, so the difference is I am publishing all submissions here on Dumpshock and FanPro is only showing the ones they are buying with complimentary product. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it may not be a duck. wink.gif

Nope, the difference is that a contest by definition is a competition, where there is a winner or winners (those that get the prizes) and there are runners up (who might get some prizes) and there are those that lose (and don't get prizes).
Normally someone gets to judge submissions to whatever standards and pick the best of the lot, I had assumed that would be the case with your fiction contest. From all I've read of this and your previous thread I had been lead to believe this was what was intended, that you were (laudably) promoting a fiction writing contest (and even more laudably were giving out prizes from your own pocket). I apologize if I misunderstood your intent.

I attempted to clarify the distinction. FanPro has made an open call for submissions for website fiction. There is no competition involved (nor as far as I can see any conflict with what you're doing). Any submission that follows the guidelines will be accepted and reviewed. If it is then green-lighted, it gets published, and the author gets a complementary copy of a book instead of monetary compensation. As Robyn explained elsewhere, potentially all submissions that meet the guidelines could eventually be published (if they're good enough) - as such there is no competition involved. FanPro is specifically looking for fiction to complement the SR4 setting and writers who seem to have a handle on the new style and feel (which is why this is a condition of the guidelines).

As for the low pay and rights, I'm pretty sure you'd be in for an even greater shock if you actually ever submitted for a book. Nobody writes for RPGs for the money.
tisoz
I see the distinction and apologized for calling it a contest. Frackula put the term in my mind.

I am wondering why you, or some of the other freelancers are not submitting. Surely you have old unshared stories where the market went the way of SR3. If you feel like people would resent your entry we could set up a separate category.

Is anyone planning a Night of Rage submission? It's like 3 weeks, folks.
SL James
I was thinking about it. We'll see. The stuff I write either comes to me and is written in less than 24 hours, or it doesn't.
Synner
QUOTE (tisoz @ Mar 6 2006, 05:05 AM)
I am wondering why you, or some of the other freelancers are not submitting.  Surely you have old unshared stories where the market went the way of SR3.  If you feel like people would resent your entry we could set up a separate category.

I have a number of unfinished short stories in my folders, but the vast majority of unfinished drafts I have lying round are bits and pieces of setting material. However, that's not what is really keeping me from submitting - I simply don't have the time at this point to polish any of those into shape - otherwise I would have submitted. Though if I did, you can be sure it wouldn't be for the prize or recognition.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (tisoz)

Is anyone planning a Night of Rage submission? It's like 3 weeks, folks.

No. When all I have to go on is the little timeline blub that I vaguely remember from the beginning of SR3 it dosen't exactly inspire me to write a story.

Besides, I'm planning to write one for "initiation" instead.
tisoz
Alamos 20,000 makes their debut in 2036, napalm firebombing a town in Ohio and killing 20 people in the process.  Hate crimes escalated for several years.

It all came to a head on February 7, 2039, otherwise known as the Night of Rage.  As if there had been some worldwide conspiracy (and there may have been), riots sprang up around the world and targeted metahumans, along with their friends, families, and wannabes.  Hundreds to thousands died; many were rounded up for their own "safety" and detained under armed guard.

In Seattle, hands of Five terrorists attacked warehouses and docks where metahumans were held.  Many were set on fire, people panicked, and the Metroplex Guard did nothing.

Three days later, Alamos 20,000 blows the Sears Tower in Chicago.

Really, what more do you need to know to write a story taking place that night? Create a character and put them in the situation. I even gave hints for different types of characters. I thought this would be one of the easier topics to write, so put it first.
Wounded Ronin
Well, I am really excited about my idea for initiation. Maybe if I finish initiation before the Night of Rage deadline I'll throw together a NoR thingie.
Platinum
Here is an article I came across that will hopefully encourage some budding/established writers.

http://www.lifetimetv.com/reallife/health/...s/creative.html
warrior_allanon
working on it tiz, will probably be right on the wire
SL James
Don't forget that metas were originally blamed for the IBM (to whom it was sold) Tower bombing, and if history has taught us anything, it's that there will continue to remain for a great long time a number of people who still believe it.
Wounded Ronin
I'm really getting into this fictional writing thing. Now I'm working on the datasteal piece. Too bad it will be many moons before people tell me my writing is poorly constructed, sick, and should never be read.
SL James
I decided not to enter because I see no point in banging my head against the fact that there are people here who can't wrap their heads around the idea that good people can be racist.
tisoz
QUOTE (SL James)
I decided not to enter because I see no point in banging my head against the fact that there are people here who can't wrap their heads around the idea that good people can be racist.

A well written piece demonstrating such characteristics of humanity is when mere fiction transforms itself into literature.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (SL James)

What courage and artistic integrity. Voltaire would be proud.
SL James
QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (SL James @ Mar 12 2006, 06:35 PM)

A well written piece demonstrating such characteristics of humanity is when mere fiction transforms itself into literature.

Even more reason not to. I'd just fuck it up.
tisoz
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (tisoz @ Mar 13 2006, 12:04 AM)
QUOTE (SL James @ Mar 12 2006, 06:35 PM)

Even more reason not to. I'd just fuck it up.

Well, that is a better reason.
tisoz
About 10 days left for Where were you on the Night of Rage? One submission for it so far.

3 submissions for the General Fiction contest, and at least one for all the specific topics except Rigger POV.

Please include the contest and title in the Message Title box of the PM.

Example: Gen Sub - Milk Run Struck by Orbital Cows

I am going to try to leave the entries in my PM folder, so being able to find the submission by contest will help keep it organized. Story title in Message title is nice but not needed. But remember to include a title!

Thanks
Wounded Ronin
Sweet, the contest is almost upon us.

I'd like to write something for Rigger's POV, but man, if that's not a hard topic to write about.

Maybe I should write something for the general fiction contest instead since this seems to have hung up with less than 10 entries.
tisoz
Just a few days left and only 1 entry. A default win? Don't wait until the last minute and then remember you need to watch Final Four action the last night. wink.gif
warrior_allanon
i dont watch basketball and will have it in by midnight central time so there will at least be a little competition
tisoz
QUOTE (warrior_allanon)
i dont watch basketball and will have it in by midnight central time so there will at least be a little competition

What if you meet your dream date tonight and they want to watch it with you? wink.gif

Thanks for relieving some worry about a total flop of a contest. smile.gif
SL James
*sigh*

I did start on that story, btw. I just couldn't lock it up, and then had a horrible dry spell/writer's block. Oh, well.
warrior_allanon
not likely being that i'm not going out. have to postpone about 18 hours so it will be there by 6pm central time on april first, damn job kept me late tonight.
coolgrafix
How goes the contest, chummers?
Wounded Ronin
Look for the thread about the first theme story.
coolgrafix
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Look for the thread about the first theme story.

My real question here is how many General submissions have there been? =) I submitted one and was curious if there was some sort of cut-off for submissions. The post mentioned that once 10 were received they would be posted, so I'm curious how many have been submitted.

Inquiring minds want to know. =)
Wounded Ronin
I think that it's only been like 3 or 4. Collectively, we clearly suck.
Aku
i know, individually, i suck, i was realyl psyched up for my submissionw hen i started, and then it went downhill real fast from there.
SL James
Apparently Hooked on Phonics didn't work for Aku.
Wounded Ronin
Aku - good stories rarely write themselves. You really need to log consistient hours to produce one.

I take it that that's why a great many "creative" types get all defensive when people rip their works apart.
coolgrafix
It's so incredibly difficult just to face the emtpy page at all that frankly anyone who submits at least an attempt at fiction should be applauded for effort alone. Every writer, even a bad one, gets better the more they write and receive pier review. The only way to improve is to actually DO. So hats off to everyone involved. =)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012