Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Being blind
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lividicus
Am I understanding the rules right that if you are playing a blind character the only rules that apply in combat are blind fire?

-6dice hmm

is it possible to use auditory enhancements that might reduce this?

one of my players asked me and I told them i would investigate it.
Brahm
It is more than -6 dice. First the PC has to figure out the general location of where to shoot, although that isn't covered as well in the rules. You can try to locate someone by sound only using a Perception check, and there is a spacial recognition enhancement along with general hearing improvements that that helps with that.

The best way around it though is to be awakened with the ability to see on the astral. Then you only take a -2 die penalty.
Lividicus
so your saying the character needs to
1. make a perception test (threshold determined by modifiers and the GM) to find the opposing character
2. role to hit - primary modifer being blindfire

Astral perception was the work around in previous editions but the -2 for split still applies

so what if someone has an image link and ultrasound? operating on the assumption they are blind this method cant be used correct?
BishopMcQ
Ultrasound could help, especially if it can overlay across your "visual" field what is around you. (Think Daredevil...) This would depend on if your blindness was caused by something in your eyes or brain damage and a severed connection in the visual processing center of your brain.

I've seen a blind phys-ad who took 4 PPs worth of imp sense powers. She had some problems with standard gear like GPS or reading datapads, but in combat she was able to keep track of most things.
BishopMcQ
RE: Astral Perception--you could always play a dual-natured person...it has a nasty set of drawbacks in regards to wards, astral combat and the like, but no -2...
Lividicus
one more question about the perception test LOL

would this test be a simple action to observe in detail or just a check?
BishopMcQ
How nice a GM are you? With a lot of enhanced senses, I'd give the player a free action to perceive the obvious. If someone is trying to stealth or the character wants more detail, then it would be a simple action.
emo samurai
How about virtual light goggles?
BishopMcQ
Emo--Expand on your idea so we can comment....are you wanting the goggles to darken or brighten the existing light condition? etc..
mfb
he means, i think, the goggles from the book Virtual Light. these would not help. they're just AR goggles.
Lividicus
seems like it rests on me to decide. I like the idea of a basic perception check and a simple action in detail role as a simple action.

I guess the type of blindness determines the kind of alternatives available to the character for enhancements.

another question relating to blindness is if a character is blind and uses ultrasound would they be able to identify changes in a room. ie placement of an item has been moved.

I assume so if they make a logic test or have photographic memory.

sorry i know this is probably a lame question but still working it out in my head.
mdynna
Also, the rules mention (somewhere) that "blind fire" attacks use Intuition instead of Agility as their linked attribute.
BishopMcQ
QUOTE (mfb)
he means, i think, the goggles from the book Virtual Light. these would not help. they're just AR goggles.

I remember the listing stating that they can darken the ambient lighting through filters but not lighten it without addons such as Low Light. However, I didn't know if EMo had come up with another creative way of looking at the world we take for granted.
Brahm
QUOTE (Lividicus @ Feb 23 2006, 04:22 PM)
one more question about the perception test LOL

would this test be a simple action to observe in detail or just a check?

My opinion?

I'd be inclined to require them to take the Simple Action. But if they have had an opportunity to take a Simple Action beforehand and sort out where things are then I'd likely just go with a check for them to track one opponent moving around. More than one opponent if they have Select Sound Filter enhancements. If they fail that check though I'd likely require they spend another Simple Action to reaquire a lock.

If they just want to shoot at anything making a sound, or they are getting audio info via commlink or voice about location from another team member I might let them get away with just a check but at a penalty.

Team members might want to try avoid walking between the blind guy and opponents, because if the blind guy isn't tracking them and they don't let the blind guy know they are there they might catch a little friendly fire. cyber.gif

What mdynna said too. So they are likely going to want to emphasize Intuition in their character build. smile.gif

Post Script

How blind are they thinking? See absolutely nothing blind? Or one of the degrees of legally blind where you might detect the difference between light and dark, or even see very fuzzy shapes and colors?
Lividicus
okay how about applying the select sound filter to ultrasound? do things like white noise generators or ultrasound emitter become nullified or modify the role.

am i digging to deep into this? its probably alot simpler than i am making it
Brahm
QUOTE (Lividicus @ Feb 23 2006, 05:01 PM)
okay how about applying the select sound filter to ultrasound?  do things like white noise generators or ultrasound emitter become nullified or modify the role.

Ultrasound is an active sensor system. It makes a sound at a frequency above the normal human hearing range and waits for the sound to bounce back, and uses the time it took to travel to calculate a distance. It does this several times sweeping across the field of "vision" to build up a spacial model. Basically an air version of SONAR. A Select Sound Filter would serve no purpose for it.

White Noise generators might screw with an ultrasound system a bit if they were modified to work in the similar frequency range. A White Noise generator would definately screw with the blind guy's Perception checks. frown.gif

am i digging to deep into this?  its probably alot simpler than i am making it

Maybe. smile.gif
Lividicus
Okay Brahm, I'll leave this alone seems like you provided me with alot of info thanks much!!
Brahm
QUOTE (Lividicus)
Okay Brahm, I'll leave this alone seems like you provided me with alot of info thanks much!!

Don't get me wrong. I think you asked a lot of good questions, and questions are good things. But you likely have enough to go on now.
Adarael
Let me go out on a limb here and suggest that if you are making a blind character who:
1) Is not dual-natured or has access to Astral Perception;
2) Is not a rigger with lots of sensory drones;
3) Is not a stay-at-home decker;

you are probably making a very, very bad decision.

In any game I've ever ran, you would probably die very, very fast.
hyzmarca
In SR being blind means that the parts of your brain that interperate visual data simply arn't functional for some reason. Anything less is easily repaired with basic medical cloning or 'ware.

You can't 'see' anything either real or simsense. If you're a decker you have to find replacements for all those nice visual metaphors that everyone else uses. Ultrasound vision doesn't work because it is a form of vision. A computer transforms the ultrasound data into visual data. Astral perception works because it isn't a form of vision. You don't even need a brain to use astral perception.

The best set up for a blind shadowrunner that doesn't rely on the cheese that is Astral Perception is several cameras with all the bells and whistles and an AR overlay that provides audio replacements for visual data. When your range finder shows that you are about to walk into something it sounds a virtual tone. When you point your helmet camera at a street sign your AR system reads it for you. When you point your gun at someone's face your smartlink tells you who you are geeking.

Yeah, with AR a blind character should be able to shoot better than a blind character can hack.
Brahm
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Feb 23 2006, 05:45 PM)
In SR being blind means that the parts of your brain that interperate visual data simply arn't functional for some reason. Anything less is easily repaired with basic medical cloning or 'ware.

That bit of wierdness was true of the Blind Flaw in SR3, in a doomed attempt to thwart the the munchkin hordes at the gate. But SR4 purged most of the worst of the munchkin holdouts from Flaws. So this is more a roleplaying thing I think, which doesn't have to have those sort of limitations. Although without it I guess you could question why the character doesn't just get cybereyes or even just a camera bolted to the front of their hat and wire that into their brains. smile.gif

Or maybe they are porting a SR3 character or the player is trying make up their own Negative Quality? Lividicus?
Lividicus
QUOTE (Brahm)
Or maybe they are porting a SR3 character or the player is trying make up their own Negative Quality? Lividicus?

Well at the point where I tried giving up this string wasnt going to give any Quality points for it. However you guys opened up a whole can of worms. This particular hypothetical question was for mere character developement. I just wanted a mechanical reason for using those sets of rules which Brahm had done very well in his explanations earlier.

To answer directly I guess its a matter of roleplay value. With some game mechanics.....

not importing from sr3 and not making up a negative quality....although i guess for some of the disadvantages I should be fare.

Personally I think my Player is smoking something because i dont get what he trying to accomplish besides confusing me LOL
Brahm
QUOTE (Lividicus)
Personally I think my Player is smoking something because i dont get what he trying to accomplish besides confusing me LOL

I find players will do that. Smoke something and confuse you. smile.gif
Lividicus
True my IQ is on the low end of the scale so all i have to do is try to read something and looky mission accomplished Confusion! However thanks Brahm and everyone else all your suggestions and insights were great.

I wonder if one of those spells from sr3 where you could see through others eyes is going to be transfered over to 4th hmmmm wish i had my book with me now LOL

please dont answer that i am just trying to cause problems now:P
Squinky
QUOTE (mdynna @ Feb 23 2006, 04:37 PM)
Also, the rules mention (somewhere) that "blind fire" attacks use Intuition instead of Agility as their linked attribute.

I can just see all the hermeitic mage adept blind gunfighter builds sprouting out of this.
Frackula
Would you gain dice bonuses from cyberears or improved senses other than sight, since they're helping you locate the target?
Darkness
IMHO only for locating the target, not for firing at it.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Brahm)
Although without it I guess you could question why the character doesn't just get cybereyes or even just a camera bolted to the front of their hat and wire that into their brains. smile.gif

Hey, if a player wants to buy off a flaw, fine. Either make them wait until they've bought it off to get the cybereyes, or just put them into karma-debt. (I've done that before) Or, if you don't want them getting away with that for a few sessions, then when their karma debt is paid off then their physical therapy is over and their brain has relearned how to interpret visual data. In the meantime, the shiny new cyber eyes don't work.
It seems logical to me that there would be a difference between scooping out somebody's working eyes and trying to get cybereyes to work in someone who's been blind for years. The brain does reallocate unused neurons after a time.
Brahm
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
QUOTE (Brahm @ Feb 23 2006, 05:53 PM)
Although without it I guess you could question why the character doesn't just get cybereyes or even just a camera bolted to the front of their hat and wire that into their brains. smile.gif

Hey, if a player wants to buy off a flaw, fine. Either make them wait until they've bought it off to get the cybereyes, or just put them into karma-debt. (I've done that before) Or, if you don't want them getting away with that for a few sessions, then when their karma debt is paid off then their physical therapy is over and their brain has relearned how to interpret visual data. In the meantime, the shiny new cyber eyes don't work.
It seems logical to me that there would be a difference between scooping out somebody's working eyes and trying to get cybereyes to work in someone who's been blind for years. The brain does reallocate unused neurons after a time.

If it was a Flaw or a Negative Quality, sure. But in this case it isn't. It is more backstory.

I can just see all the hermeitic mage adept blind gunfighter builds sprouting out of this.

No on a couple of fronts. It would have to be a different tradition than Hermetic, because they use Logic. Unless you just mean the huge number of Knowledge skill points during chargen?

If you are thinking of the bonus of Intuition while avoiding the -6 die penalty by going astral then no again. That would switch them back to Agility.
Squinky
Heh, got mixed up. To clarify: I can see special traditions that use Intuition for drain playing blind characters, but then again, that would really be pointless now wouldn't it?
Lividicus
this string has gone on way to long LOL being blind isnt useful at all. Shadowrunners shouldnt be blind imo its self defeating....almost regret posting this LOL
Frackula
Okay, then on a different note, suppose I shot at a physically invisible character, and I had cybereyes with vision mags and a laser sight or smartlink. Would I get my bonuses?
Squinky
Two words: Blind Fury.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
You don't even need a brain to use astral perception.

say what?
Mr. Unpronounceable
QUOTE (Frackula)
Okay, then on a different note, suppose I shot at a physically invisible character, and I had cybereyes with vision mags and a laser sight or smartlink. Would I get my bonuses?

Hmm...well, at the very least you would still lower or negate any vision penalties as normal (i.e. poor lighting, smoke, glare, range etc.) due to the vision mods.

Lasersights and smartlinks don't stack (especially since a lasersight is integral to the smartlink anyway) but should you get the bonus?

I don't really see why not...after all, I don't see anything that would even forbid taking a called shot on an invisible target in the RAW.

Of course the final decision is going to be the GM's - so you should really run it past him/her before trying it.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Squinky @ Feb 24 2006, 02:27 PM)
Two words: Blind Fury.

Zatoichi did it first. Zatoichi did it better.

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
say what?

Astral Perception is a sense that is completely contined within the Astral Body. You don't need a brain to process the sensory data and can Astraly Percieve just fine if you leave your brain along with the rest of your meatbod.
Shrike30
You know the other way players end up playing blind characters? One of their teammates decides to "help out" in a gunfight in a steam tunnel by putting his shotgun over the (now blind) character's shoulder and getting his two cents (or two nuyen, given ammo costs) into the conversation.

That's also a good way to end up playing a deaf character, at least on that side.

These are, of course, repairable. But they'll definitely get your attention.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
say what?

Astral Perception is a sense that is completely contined within the Astral Body. You don't need a brain to process the sensory data and can Astraly Percieve just fine if you leave your brain along with the rest of your meatbod.

oops, that that brain=mind connection, my bad...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012