Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bioware Grades Confusion
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Churl Beck
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
No need to invent any rule:
QUOTE (SR4 @  p. 303)
Cyberware and bioware is available in four grades: standard, alphaware, betaware, and deltaware.

"Cars are available in four colors: red, green, blue, and white." Does that means that they don't come in black, yellow, purple, etc.? Well, that depends on if you give it a strong reading or a weak reading. In either case, the wording is ambiguous and fails to clarify the matter.

Let me also point out that this passage is referring specifically to both cyberware AND bioware. Within that understanding, the statement is perfectly true. It is no different than page 64, which says that there are "grades of cyberware AND bioware known as alphaware, betaware, and deltaware." It then goes on to describe an "additional" grade (cultured) which applies only to bioware (but not also cyberware).

QUOTE (Churl Beck)
To which you counter "that's just a leftover, they must not have mean to put that in."

Not really - I reminded you that it ma either be a leftover, or a hint on rules to come on that matter... if you would have paid more attention, you would even have realized that even the rules you cited do not exclude the possibility of bioware grades, but list cultured as an addition to that system.

If you would have paid more attention, you would have realized that I never said they excluded anything. What I did say is that "cultured" is described under the heading "Implant Grades," that it is explicitly called a "grade of bioware" (in addition to alpha, beta, and delta), that cost and Essence adjustments are not applied to cultured bioware, and that all of this is consistent with the precedent set by previous editions. In the absence of a definitive rule saying otherwise, this is enough information to come to an informed interpretation.

QUOTE (Churl Beck)
Let me rephrase the sentence in the negative: "Do not apply Essence Cost and Cost adjustments when purchasing standard and cultured implants."

Which, in fact, is still right - as soon as you purchase higher grades, it's alpha/beta/delta bioware.

Yep, I knew that you would find a way to take that out of context. Again, the book essentially says that the prices for cultured bioware are "not standard." By "standard" it means "not upgraded"--whether by alphaware, betaware, deltaware, or otherwise. IOW, cultured = upgraded. You do not dispute this, you just dispute the nature of the upgrade. The question is, does "upgraded" mean one thing when discussing standard bioware and another thing when discussing cultured bioware? I say no. What does Occam's razor say?
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE ("Churl Beck")
"Cars are available in four colors: red, green, blue, and white." Does that means that they don't come in black, yellow, purple, etc.?

With the use of 'available', they usually don't. With the use of 'come', they usually could.
But either guarantees that there are cars in red, green, blue, and white - which you are trying to dispute... ohplease.gif

QUOTE ("Churl Beck")
If you would have paid more attention, you would have realized that I never said they excluded anything.

Yes you do:

QUOTE ("Churl Beck")
What I did say is that "cultured" is described under the heading "Implant Grades," that it is explicitly called a "grade of bioware" (in addition to alpha, beta, and delta), that cost and Essence adjustments are not applied to cultured bioware, and that all of this is consistent with the precedent set by previous editions.

So you say it excludes the game effects of those terms... just, those terms are game terms, thus carrying the effect.
Yet, Cultured does not carry any specified game effect.

QUOTE ("Churl Beck")
IOW, cultured = upgraded. You do not dispute this, you just dispute the nature of the upgrade.

Indeed I do - as you are mixing terms.

QUOTE ("Churl Beck")
The question is, does "upgraded" mean one thing when discussing standard bioware and another thing when discussing cultured bioware? I say no. What does Occam's razor say?

Occams razor says - make the least assumptions.
You assume replacement varibles you are assigning to totally different terms.
If you don't, the theory of the least assumption simply is that every bioware is graded four-times first, then two-folded into categories.
Azralon
Guys, it's just not explicit enough to say for sure. It's barely implicit enough to guess at.

House rule it for now, and despair.
Cain
It is no different than page 64, which says that there are "grades of cyberware AND bioware known as alphaware, betaware, and deltaware." It then goes on to describe an "additional" grade (cultured) which applies only to bioware (but not also cyberware).

If you read further into that paragraph, you'll see that while cultured is listed as a "higher" grade, it's only higher in comparison to standard bioware, and not alpha/beta/delta. In fact, the entire section you're referring to simply states that higher grades are merely better than standard. So, the assumption you made that cultured is somehow higher than delta is erroneous; at best, it's higher than standard.

Now, page 303 says that the modifiers are applied "When purchasing implants of other grades". You're making the assumption that cultured isn't "another grade" here, due to the fact that the preceding paragraph says that cultured costs are nonstandard. That is flawed; it is equally likely that the statement is just an editing problem, especially since on the page referenced there are no cost modifers listed. Also, the sentence in question only refers to cost, and makes no statement about essence, which would presumably be part of the bonus if cultured was a "higher grade".

Since there are no modifiers listed anywhere for cultured bioware, it cannot actually be a "higher grade" in anything but name-- if there are no mechanical benefits, then it's just a bit of descriptive fluff. With that in mind, since there are no mechanical differences between cultured and standard bioware, there's no mechanical harm in applying the alpha/beta/delta modifiers to it.

Now, you're making the assumption that the modifiers are already factored into the costs listed. However, if you look back at previous editions, you'll see that all neural bioware had to be cultured; and so, regardless of rather or not it was factored into the price, it all amounted to the same thing. It doesn't matter if it was modified to have a bio index of 0.5, or simply written that way; you would end up paying the exact same cost.

Since all the cultured SR$ bio is neural, and no modifiers are listed, we cannot tell if culturing is a requirement or just a bonus. However, since the cultured bioware can't be bought as anything other than cultured, it doesn't matter if modifers have been added or not. And since it doesn't matter, and there are no mechanical differences, there's no mechanical reason to not treat them the exact same way.

In conclusion, cultured bioware simply appears to be a confusing name, which happens to match a lot of what happened in SR4. There were a lot of pointless name changes made, and some names stayed the same while their entire concepts changed. The bottom line is, don't assume anything about things in SR4 based on their name alone: you have to examine the mechanical effects in detail.
hobgoblin
how is this for a silly interpetation:

some bioware have to come as cultured, and cultured cant be done in any other grade then standard?
Rotbart van Dainig
That's exactly what this thread is all about. wink.gif
Churl Beck
QUOTE ("Churl Beck")
"Cars are available in four colors: red, green, blue, and white." Does that means that they don't come in black, yellow, purple, etc.?

With the use of 'available', they usually don't. With the use of 'come', they usually could.

You are simply relying on your own connotations for these terms, which are peculiar if not subjective.

But either guarantees that there are cars in red, green, blue, and white - which you are trying to dispute... ohplease.gif

I don't think you know what I'm saying. But to continue the analogy: I say that "cultured" is a color of car, you say that "cultured" is a type of car. I say that there is one type of car and that it comes in five different colors. You say that there are two types of cars, and that they each come in four different colors (for a total of eight car-color combinations). However, you also stipulate that car #2 is identical to car #1, so effectively there are only four car-color combinations.

At any rate, if counting the number of car-color combinations was your original impulse for invoking Occam's razor, then it is highly misguided. Occam's razor is about premises, not conclusions. And if you tell me that each "grade" is a premise, then you are simply begging the question.

QUOTE ("Churl Beck")
If you would have paid more attention, you would have realized that I never said they excluded anything.

Yes you do:

QUOTE ("Churl Beck")
What I did say is that "cultured" is described under the heading "Implant Grades," that it is explicitly called a "grade of bioware" (in addition to alpha, beta, and delta), that cost and Essence adjustments are not applied to cultured bioware, and that all of this is consistent with the precedent set by previous editions.

So you say it excludes the game effects of those terms... just, those terms are game terms, thus carrying the effect.
Yet, Cultured does not carry any specified game effect.

I was simply saying that there is nothing that excludes your interpretation of the rules. I don't believe I have ever denied that your interpretation is possible, I just don't think that it is likely.

QUOTE ("Churl Beck")
IOW, cultured = upgraded. You do not dispute this, you just dispute the nature of the upgrade.

Indeed I do - as you are mixing terms.

The terms are already mixed, if your interpretation is correct. You say that the meaning of the word "grade" changes drastically from one sentence to the next on page 64. (Incidentally, this unparsimoniousness of terms is one of the things that Occam's razor is meant to guard against.)

Occams razor says - make the least assumptions.

...that are required to explain all of the known data. If Theory A requires two assumptions and it explains four facts, and Theory B requires one assumption but it only explains three of those same facts (and the fourth is considered an anomaly), then the preference still goes to A.
Churl Beck
QUOTE (Cain)
If you read further into that paragraph, you'll see that while cultured is listed as a "higher" grade, it's only higher in comparison to standard bioware, and not alpha/beta/delta.  In fact, the entire section you're referring to simply states that higher grades are merely better than standard.  So, the assumption you made that cultured is somehow higher than delta is erroneous; at best, it's higher than standard. 

It isn't "only" higher in comparison to standard, but it is certainly at least higher than standard. The statement is inconclusive because it doesn't say what it is lower than (if anything).

But even conceding the point, I don't think that one can draw your conclusion from it. As I have continually pointed out, cultured bioware is treated side-by-side with alpha-, beta-, and deltaware as "Implant Grades" (pg. 64). Therefore, there is good reason to suppose that they are related conceptually. I don't think that one can read "grade w, x, y" as meaning one thing, and then read "grade z" (one paragraph later) as being totally different. That is to say, even though rules for cultured bioware are missing in the BBB, it is still a "grade" in the full sense of the term. Grades do not stack (there is no rule that establishes this, however no one has disputed it). Ergo, one cannot delta-grade cultured bioware any more than one can delta-grade alphaware.

However, for the sake of argument I will even concede that point, and assume that "cultured bioware" is simply a descriptive category of bioware. In that case, it is still only mentioned after and apart from the discussion of the bioware grades. So by that reading, the text says "Standard bioware can be upgraded to alpha-, beta-, or delta-. However, there is also another category of bioware." It does not then say or imply that this second category of bioware can be upgraded just like the first. One is not obliged to assume that the two cateogies should be treated identically, especially since the BBB is being sensitive to distinguish between them.

Now, page 303 says that the modifiers are applied "When purchasing implants of other grades".  You're making the assumption that cultured isn't "another grade" here, due to the fact that the preceding paragraph says that cultured costs are nonstandard.  That is flawed; it is equally likely that the statement is just an editing problem, especially since on the page referenced there are no cost modifers listed.  Also, the sentence in question only refers to cost, and makes no statement about essence, which would presumably be part of the bonus if cultured was a "higher grade".

I disagree. There is no reason to expect cost modifiers to be listed on page 339 if, as I maintain, the cost modifiers are already factored into the bioware. Same with Essence.

Since there are no modifiers listed anywhere for cultured bioware, it cannot actually be a "higher grade" in anything but name-- if there are no mechanical benefits, then it's just a bit of descriptive fluff.  With that in mind, since there are no mechanical differences between cultured and standard bioware, there's no mechanical harm in applying the alpha/beta/delta modifiers to it. 

Either way you look at it, you run into trouble. Either cultured bioware is the highest grade, in which case there is an error of omission, or cultured bioware is simply a descriptive category, in which case there is an error of inclusion--an "editing problem." So this line of argument is deadlocked. Do you have criteria to decide the matter, or is it just a matter of personal choice? I suggested looking for precedent in earlier rulebooks, but that was met with violent opposition.

Since all the cultured SR$ bio is neural, and no modifiers are listed, we cannot tell if culturing is a requirement or just a bonus.  However, since the cultured bioware can't be bought as anything other than cultured, it doesn't matter if modifers have been added or not.  And since it doesn't matter, and there are no mechanical differences, there's no mechanical reason to not treat them the exact same way. 

This is false. The mechanical differences are that (1) cultured bioware either can or cannot be bought at character creation, and (2) cultured bioware either can or cannot be upgraded.

In conclusion, cultured bioware simply appears to be a confusing name, which happens to match a lot of what happened in SR4.  There were a lot of pointless name changes made, and some names stayed the same while their entire concepts changed.  The bottom line is, don't assume anything about things in SR4 based on their name alone: you have to examine the mechanical effects in detail.

Out of your four arguments, I would characterize two of them as inconclusive, and two of them as mistaken. Again, I invite anyone to propose independent criteria by which to decide the issue, but so far I'm the only one who has even tried.
Cain
However, for the sake of argument I will even concede that point, and assume that "cultured bioware" is simply a descriptive category of bioware. In that case, it is still only mentioned after and apart from the discussion of the bioware grades. So by that reading, the text says "Standard bioware can be upgraded to alpha-, beta-, or delta-. However, there is also another category of bioware." It does not then say or imply that this second category of bioware can be upgraded just like the first. One is not obliged to assume that the two cateogies should be treated identically, especially since the BBB is being sensitive to distinguish between them.

That's fine, we can play the Socratic method on this one. The important point here is to realize that even if cultured is a "higher grade", that doesn't mean it's better than anything but standard-grade. You originally posited an S-A-B-D-C scale, which can be shown to be just an assumption-- a S-C-A-B-D scale fits the description just as well.

I disagree. There is no reason to expect cost modifiers to be listed on page 339 if, as I maintain, the cost modifiers are already factored into the bioware. Same with Essence.

That doesn't matter in the slightest, with cultured-only bioware. It doesn't matter if it was written with a cost of 45,000 nuyen.gif or was modified to reach that point due to some invisible formula. The mechanical effect is that you can't get it at any other price, which is identical to what happens with standard bioware. Since the effect is identical, the effect of further modifers is also identical.

Either cultured bioware is the highest grade, in which case there is an error of omission, or cultured bioware is simply a descriptive category, in which case there is an error of inclusion--an "editing problem."

This is a classic either-or fallacy. To demonstrate the fallacy, all I have to do is show that there are other possibilites that fit the facts. In this case, cultured bioware might not be the "highest" grade-- it could be just marginally better than standard grade. If that's the case, then cultured might be better in such miniscule terms as to have no game effect whatsoever.

So, we cannot assume that cultured is a significantly superior grade of 'ware, in absence of supporting details. We can, however, assume that descriptive details aren't always reflected in the rules-- this is common enough in RPGs as to be axiomatic. So, there may not be an "error of inclusion", since this sort of thing happens all the time. As the saying goes, if it's documented, it's not a bug-- it's a standard feature. cool.gif

Based on that, your first statement relies on there being an error made in the rules. The remaining statements do not.

This is false. The mechanical differences are that (1) cultured bioware either can or cannot be bought at character creation, and (2) cultured bioware either can or cannot be upgraded.

Incorrect. First, character creation limitations =! game mechanics. Just because starting gear ratings are capped at 6, that does not mean that higher ratings don't exist. What you're describing is a restriction to control starting power levels, and not something inherent to the rules. A mechanical limitation would prohibit it from going any higher, like the modified attribute caps.

Second, after quickly rereading the gear chapter, I can't see anything indicating that any form of cyber or bio can be upgraded. According to the RAW, once it's implanted, that's all she wrote. The question of upgrading has nothing to do with rather or not higher grades exist.

At any event, the criterion I always use is game mechanics and effects. If something is treated a certain way as something else in the rules, and acts in a certain way, it is effectively the same thing, regardless of description. Now, we see that despite several hints the direction of specialness, cultured bioware is treated exactly the same as standard in the RAW. There are *no* explicit mechanical differences listed anywhere in the BBB, according to all the arguments mentioned; only descriptive ones. Because it is treated the same, and acts the same, it effectively is the same, regardless of description. Since it is effectively the same, it can thus be modified in the same way, without damaging the game system.
Churl Beck

That's fine, we can play the Socratic method on this one.  The important point here is to realize that even if cultured is a "higher grade", that doesn't mean it's better than anything but standard-grade.  You originally posited an S-A-B-D-C scale, which can be shown to be just an assumption-- a S-C-A-B-D scale fits the description just as well. 

Conceded, however it is not relevant. The argument is over whether or not "cultured" is a grade of bioware or merely a descriptive category. Where it fits in relation to other grades of bioware doesn't matter, since whether it's lower than alpha or higher than delta, I still say that it should be treated as a "grade," and therefore it does not stack with other grades.

That doesn't matter in the slightest, with cultured-only bioware.  It doesn't matter if it was written with a cost of 45,000 nuyen.gif  or was modified to reach that point due to some invisible formula.  The mechanical effect is that you can't get it at any other price, which is identical to what happens with standard bioware.  Since the effect is identical, the effect of further modifers is also identical.

It most certainly does matter. If cultured bioware is already modified, then it cannot be modified again. Standard bioware is unmodified, so it can be upgraded.

This is a classic either-or fallacy.  To demonstrate the fallacy, all I have to do is show that there are other possibilites that fit the facts.  In this case, cultured bioware might not be the "highest" grade-- it could be just marginally better than standard grade.  If that's the case, then cultured might be better in such miniscule terms as to have no game effect whatsoever. 

No, it is simply a "me vs. you" argument. My interpretation commits one to assume an error of omission. Your interpretation commits one to assume an error of inclusion.

So, we cannot assume that cultured is a significantly superior grade of 'ware, in absence of supporting details.

I have already given my reasons for believing it to be a higher grade--it is described as being tailor-made--and in my understanding, tailor-made is nearer to the high end of quality rather than the low end. But again, where it fits qualitatively on a scale is still beside the point of what it is substantially.

We can, however, assume that descriptive details aren't always reflected in the rules-- this is common enough in RPGs as to be axiomatic.  So, there may not be an "error of inclusion", since this sort of thing happens all the time.  As the saying goes, if it's documented, it's not a bug-- it's a standard feature.  cool.gif

Based on that, your first statement relies on there being an error made in the rules.  The remaining statements do not. 

Whether you believe that it was accidentally copy-and-pasted, or you believe that it was intentionally put there as flavor text, or somethign else, doesn't much matter from my perspective. In the former case, the text should never have been put there. In the latter case, the text just didn't need to be put there. But my argument is that the text needed to be put there, because it is a rule, not a flavorful description. To avoid confusion, you would probably pare down the text; I would probably supplement it.

Incorrect. First, character creation limitations =! game mechanics. Just because starting gear ratings are capped at 6, that does not mean that higher ratings don't exist. What you're describing is a restriction to control starting power levels, and not something inherent to the rules. A mechanical limitation would prohibit it from going any higher, like the modified attribute caps.

I don't see your point. All I was saying is that one's interpretation of the rules will have an impact on how the game is conducted, and I listed two specific examples. This was in response to your claim that "there's no mechanical reason to not treat them [cultured and standard] the exact same way." The truth of your claim is dependent on how one interprets page 64. But you are begging the question. You argue that we should interpret it your way (in which case the text has no mechanical effect), and that therefore (since it has no mechanical effect) we should interpret it your way.

Second, after quickly rereading the gear chapter, I can't see anything indicating that any form of cyber or bio can be upgraded.  According to the RAW, once it's implanted, that's all she wrote.  The question of upgrading has nothing to do with rather or not higher grades exist. 

I'm using "upgraded" as shorthand for "alpha-graded," "beta-graded," "delta-graded," and sometimes "cultured." I was not suggesting that one can upgrade an already-installed piece of ware.

At any event, the criterion I always use is game mechanics and effects.  If something is treated a certain way as something else in the rules, and acts in a certain way, it is effectively the same thing, regardless of description.

Again, you are begging the question. If one assumes that the paragraph on page 64 is just a "description," then of course it will have no mechanical game effect. But if one assumes (as in my case) that the paragraph on page 64 is a "rule," then it will most certainly have mechanical game effects. I have listed two already.

What I'm asking for is criteria by which to decide if the paragraph on page 64 is a description or a rule. I tried telepathy, but I was unable to penetrate the minds of the authors. So my second option was to consult previous SR editions. Little did I know, my second option would prove to be more controversial than my first. I guess everyone here is a mind-reader except for me.
Cain
Try it this way: If something is a rule, it will have an explicitly listed effect on the game mechanics. For example, we *know* what it means to have alpha-grade ware, and we know exactly what stat modifiers Cram imparts. Thus, we define rules as an objective standard.

If something has no listed game effect, it is a description. It does nothing but add flavor. Cram, for example, lists a bunch of symptoms a user "may" have, but none of that means anything in game terms. Twitchiness tests are gone from the system, so the rest is up to roleplay.

In the case of cultured bioware, there are no explicit rules anywhere saying what the effects and restrictions are. So, it cannot be a rule that cultured bioware cannot be alpha-plus. The descriptions *suggest* that there might be an effect, but there aren't any actual rules listed. And without mechanical effects, they become merely descriptive.

Some people may choose to back up descriptions with interpretations; this is what's known as a "house rule". Which is fine and dandy, and a necessary part of RPG's. However, the rules as written treats cultured bioware exactly the same way it treats standard grade. Since nowhere is there an explicit mechanical difference, the implication is that there isn't one. You're free to house rule it differently in your games, of course; but by the rules, there isn't a difference between cultured and standard bioware.
Churl Beck
QUOTE (Cain)
Try it this way:  If something is a rule, it will have an explicitly listed effect on the game mechanics.  For example, we *know* what it means to have alpha-grade ware, and we know exactly what stat modifiers Cram imparts.  Thus, we define rules as an objective standard.

This is very sensible, but still problematic.

If something has no listed game effect, it is a description. It does nothing but add flavor. Cram, for example, lists a bunch of symptoms a user "may" have, but none of that means anything in game terms. Twitchiness tests are gone from the system, so the rest is up to roleplay.

This example demonstrates that every rule doesn't need to be accompanied by a chart or a dice modifier: not all rules are quantitative. (In any case, "may" is not an imperative.)

Another example: if you look at the "Spirit Affinity," "Spirit Bane," and "Ork Posers" Qualities, you won't find anything resembling dice pool modifiers or quantitative game mechanics. But who in their right mind would say that therefore they have no effect on the game?

More to the point, sometimes just describing a thing is all that is necessary. The description for the Shiawase Kanmushi says "This quad-leg micro-drone 'bug' crawler is ideal for penetrating closely confined areas and is capable of crawling on walls and ceilings." What about this is fluff? Is it that it's capable of crawling on walls and ceilings? No. That it's small? No. That it has four legs? No, since that is necessary in case someone has the Quadruped specialization of Pilot Anthroform. The point is simple enough: how a thing is described largely determines how it will be treated and what rules are applicable to it.

I say that if something is explicitly called a "grade," then it should be treated like one. Just because the rules for taking a random piece of bioware and culture-grading it are missing, that doesn't mean that one should reject the whole idea of a grade called "cultured." It doesn't have to be all or nothing. (Speaking of an "either-or" fallacy...)

Some people may choose to back up descriptions with interpretations; this is what's known as a "house rule". Which is fine and dandy, and a necessary part of RPG's.

It is necessary precisely because the line between a rule and a description is ambiguous. When it comes right down to it, even a description has to be implemented in-game.

However, the rules as written treats cultured bioware exactly the same way it treats standard grade. Since nowhere is there an explicit mechanical difference, the implication is that there isn't one.

Obviously I disagree, for reasons already cited. In fact the rules don't say anything at all about how cultured bioware is to be treated. What it says is that higher grades can be purchased for cyberware and bioware. The section on cultured bioware--which is handled in a separate paragraph--makes no mention of those grades at all. This indicates a difference in their treatment, not a similarity.
Johnnycache
I took it to mean that cultured bioware required trips to the clinic and medical profiles and such and couldn't simply be bought off the shelf in a box. For me the implication is "It has to be grown in a lab - you can't hurry the process" and I would make it harder for players to get fast.

What does it matter? If you're going to let your players have delta, you're going to let them have delta, why pidge and moan over it? I mean "OK you can have deltaware but NOT THAT PIECE"? Why bother. Say you don't let them have it - they can still load up on bioware and take delta wired for 1.25, right? I mean it all comes down to what you want to allow in your game.

As for availibility and the black market, have you seen Lord of War? It has some problems as a flick, but I loved how much sheer work that dude had to do to get access to certain things: He had to buy entire chunks of infrastructure and it was a pain in the be-hind. To me, that's where the cost inflation for buying things goes - you have to grease the wheels inbetween the item and you.

Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Churl Beck)
Obviously I disagree, for reasons already cited.

If, with 'reasons' you mean whining 'it's always been that way', yeah.

QUOTE (Churl Beck)
In fact the rules don't say anything at all about how cultured bioware is to be treated.

Really? Let's see what you are saying yourself:
QUOTE (Churl Beck)
What it says is that higher grades can be purchased for cyberware and bioware.

Ah, here it is.

Unlucky for you, the set 'cultured bioware' is a partial set of the set 'bioware', thus inheriting the basic capabilities of it.
So, the rules in fact do say how cultured bioware is to be treated.
(that' a part of logic, too, don't miss it.) wink.gif

So, coming from both common sense and logic - trying to dispute a major rule change away is a bit absurd... just house rule it if you don't like it.
Cain
Another example: if you look at the "Spirit Affinity," "Spirit Bane," and "Ork Posers" Qualities, you won't find anything resembling dice pool modifiers or quantitative game mechanics. But who in their right mind would say that therefore they have no effect on the game?

Actually, Spirit Bane and Ork Poser have an explicit game effect listed; just take a look under the Noteriety rules. Spirit Affinity, however, is worthless if it depends on GM fiat-- in one game, it might be the be-all and end-all; in another, it might be worse than wasted points. It affects roleplay, but it doesn't actually mean anything. Similarily, the 5-pont SINner flaw isn't actually a flaw at all-- it's a roleplay device, since there's no in-game difference between a real SIN and an unnoticed fake.

More to the point, sometimes just describing a thing is all that is necessary. The description for the Shiawase Kanmushi says "This quad-leg micro-drone 'bug' crawler is ideal for penetrating closely confined areas and is capable of crawling on walls and ceilings." What about this is fluff? Is it that it's capable of crawling on walls and ceilings? No. That it's small? No. That it has four legs? No, since that is necessary in case someone has the Quadruped specialization of Pilot Anthroform. The point is simple enough: how a thing is described largely determines how it will be treated and what rules are applicable to it.

Most of the things you mention have direct in-game mechanical effects, backed up in the hard descriptions. For example, the size of a drone is reflected in its Body. However, saying that it's "ideal for penetrating closely confied areas" is fluff-- what makes it "ideal"? More "ideal" than what? Would you give it a bonus over an IBall, simply because the description says the Kanmushi is "ideal" and the IBall doesn't?
In fact the rules don't say anything at all about how cultured bioware is to be treated. What it says is that higher grades can be purchased for cyberware and bioware. The section on cultured bioware--which is handled in a separate paragraph--makes no mention of those grades at all. This indicates a difference in their treatment, not a similarity.

If you carefully read the preceeding paragraph, you'll note that the Alphaware description only applies to cyberware. The Cultured description is otherwise identical to it. So, it appears that alpha and cultured are the same thing. That means that the cultured-only bioware can indeed be raised to beta and delta level; it's just that cultured-only can't be bought at anything less than alpha-equivalent.
Cray74
QUOTE (Cain)
That means that the cultured-only bioware can indeed be raised to beta and delta level; it's just that cultured-only can't be bought at anything less than alpha-equivalent.

Um...has anyone just asked FanPro for a ruling on this?

Or was that stated elsewhere in this oversized thread and I missed?
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Cray74)

But if we got that, then we'd have to stop beating the dead horse. And that horse deserves everything it gets. Stupid horse.
Brahm
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
QUOTE (Cray74 @ Feb 28 2006, 08:27 AM)

But if we got that, then we'd have to stop beating the dead horse. And that horse deserves everything it gets. Stupid horse.

Speaking of which, how does everyone like their steak? Hate to see all that go to waste.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Cain)
If you carefully read the preceeding paragraph, you'll note that the Alphaware description only applies to cyberware.

Problem is - previously, Alphaware is declared available for bioware. wink.gif
That enables both Alpha Basic Bioware and Alpha Cultured Bioware.

QUOTE (Cain)
So, it appears that alpha and cultured are the same thing.

Aside from it still doesn't beside C&P wording, that would open up the nice can of worms called reverse calculation when purchasing cultured ware of beta/delta... given the setup of SR4, this seems highly unlikely.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Brahm)
Speaking of which, how does everyone like their steak?  Hate to see all that go to waste.

Since the flesh now must be so soft it should collapse... no, thanks. dead.gif
Churl Beck
Ignoring your petty insults and moving on...

Unlucky for you, the set 'cultured bioware' is a partial set of the set 'bioware', thus inheriting the basic capabilities of it.
So, the rules in fact do say how cultured bioware is to be treated.

That's one interpretation. Another interpretation is that "cultured bioware" is a subset of bioware in the same sense that "alpha-graded cyberware" is a subset of cyberware. To sum up page 64:

"Alphaware is more Essence friendly and more costly."
"Betaware is more Essence friendly and more costly."
"Deltaware is more Essence friendly and more costly."
"Cultured bioware is more Essence friendly and more costly."

But hey, if the rules for grading literally apply to all cyberware and bioware, then that must mean that alphaware can be delta-graded, right?

On the other hand, if Fanpro wanted to exempt cultured bioware from the grading rules (thereby restricting the scope of the first paragraph), then one option is to add a second paragraph stipulating the exception. Which, from my perspective, is what they did. It's not that different from someone who says "I like all music, except for country." You can't just ignore the second half of the statement in order to insist that "it logically follows" that the person likes country music.

(that' a part of logic, too, don't miss it.) wink.gif

To you it is the only logical possibility merely because you are blind to other logical possibilities.

So, coming from both common sense and logic - trying to dispute a major rule change away is a bit absurd... just house rule it if you don't like it.

Straw man. I'm perfectly fine with leaving the rule as it is. I'm also perfectly fine with the fact that that annoys you to no end.

Aside from it still doesn't beside C&P wording, that would open up the nice can of worms called reverse calculation when purchasing cultured ware of beta/delta... given the setup of SR4, this seems highly unlikely.

It only "opens up a nice can of worms" if one assumes that cultured bioware can be upgraded.
Cain
Problem is - previously, Alphaware is declared available for bioware.
That enables both Alpha Basic Bioware and Alpha Cultured Bioware.

Or it could be a legacy issue, where they wanted different names for the same thing, and never got around to fixing it. Given the number of pointless name changes in SR4, I think this is entirely possible. However, in the actual RAW, you're right-- there's nothing hard saying anything either way.

Out of curiosity, why? The setup of SR4 seems to be loaded with cans of worms and easily-abused loopholes. The whole system hasn't given more than lip service to simplicity.

On the other hand, if Fanpro wanted to exempt cultured bioware from the grading rules (thereby restricting the scope of the first paragraph), then one option is to add a second paragraph stipulating the exception. Which, from my perspective, is what they did. It's not that different from someone who says "I like all music, except for country." You can't just ignore the second half of the statement in order to insist that "it logically follows" that the person likes country music.

Except that's not what it says at all. The way you're describing things, alphaware must be excluded from the bioware grading rules, since it's said to only apply to cyberware. All we have is that, possibly, cultured and alpha describe the exact same mechanic, only for different applications. This sort of name-changed cut-and-paste job is also prevalent in SR4; just compare the Magic and Technomancer rules.

It only "opens up a nice can of worms" if one assumes that cultured bioware can be upgraded.

As you pointed out, alphaware can't be upgraded either. However, you can buy the exact same thing in a higher grade. Since, by your arguments, cultured must be effectively the same thing as alphaware, there's nothing preventing a character from having a delta synaptic accellerator; the computations are just a bit more complicated.
Churl Beck
QUOTE (Cain)

Actually, Spirit Bane and Ork Poser have an explicit game effect listed; just take a look under the Noteriety rules.  Spirit Affinity, however, is worthless if it depends on GM fiat-- in one game, it might be the be-all and end-all; in another, it might be worse than wasted points.  It affects roleplay, but it doesn't actually mean anything.  Similarily, the 5-pont SINner flaw isn't actually a flaw at all-- it's a roleplay device, since there's no in-game difference between a real SIN and an unnoticed fake. 

The point is that the difference between a "rule" and a "description" is not clear-cut. Another example: the rules for composure tests (page 130). A character rolls Willpower + Charisma. A failed roll means the character "temporarily freezes with shock, or trembles and pisses herself." It doesn't say anything about dice modifiers, or tables to consult, etc. And although there is leeway in how the situation is roleplayed, that doesn't mean that there are no rules for it.

Most of the things you mention have direct in-game mechanical effects, backed up in the hard descriptions.  For example, the size of a drone is reflected in its Body.

That's kind of my point. If a piece of equipment is described as a "gun," then that means the rules for ranged combat apply to it. You can't simply say that there is a hard-and-fast line between descriptions and rules, because they effect each other.

At the very least the rules are supposed to reflect the descriptions. Sometimes (e.g., ammunition types) they clearly don't. That violates the sensibilities of a lot of people, prompting them to rewrite the rules in favor of the descriptions, rather than the other way around. Of course, I am not advocating that any rules be re-written in the case of 'ware grades, I'm just saying that the description provides a paradigm for understanding how the rules are in fact implemented.

However, saying that it's "ideal for penetrating closely confied areas" is fluff-- what makes it "ideal"?  More "ideal" than what?  Would you give it a bonus over an IBall, simply because the description says the Kanmushi is "ideal" and the IBall doesn't? 

I would say that the word "ideal" is a flourish, of course, however it communicates the point that the drone is small and limber, which is necessary information for the GM and players alike.

If you carefully read the preceeding paragraph, you'll note that the Alphaware description only applies to cyberware.  The Cultured description is otherwise identical to it.  So, it appears that alpha and cultured are the same thing.  That means that the cultured-only bioware can indeed be raised to beta and delta level; it's just that cultured-only can't be bought at anything less than alpha-equivalent.

I suppose that view could be defended. However, I consider it even more speculative than the current discussion. Nevertheless, you seem to be conceding that cultured bioware is a "grade" just like the others. Confirm?
Churl Beck
QUOTE (Cain)
As you pointed out, alphaware can't be upgraded either. However, you can buy the exact same thing in a higher grade. Since, by your arguments, cultured must be effectively the same thing as alphaware, there's nothing preventing a character from having a delta synaptic accellerator; the computations are just a bit more complicated.

Well, if there was a small table of "alphaware" in the book, I probably would think that being alpha was a fixed property of those wares, not that it could be upgraded to beta or delta (although that is debatable).
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Churl Beck)

Then what? How much?
Where does it says Cultured Bioware is the equivalent of Alphaware?

QUOTE (Churl Beck)
That's one interpretation. Another interpretation is that "cultured bioware" is a subset of bioware in the same sense that "alpha-graded cyberware" is a subset of cyberware.

Which, indeed, both they are... well, not in the same sense, but they are both subsets:
The one is a defined grade specified with rules, yet the other is an undefined grade without any further rules... then used as a category.

QUOTE (Churl Beck)
To you it is the only logical possibility merely because you are blind to other logical possibilities.

No. Read again. wink.gif

QUOTE (Churl Beck)
But hey, if the rules for grading literally apply to all cyberware and bioware, then that must mean that alphaware can be delta-graded, right?

You are right, it isn't specified additionally that the four grades are mutually exclusive.
Just, to pick up you colored cars example/straw man again - under normal language usage, that is deemed unneccessary.

QUOTE (Churl Beck)
I'm perfectly fine with leaving the rule as it is.

Thanks - that you finally accept that all theories on that matter have to bow the initial rule "Cyberware and bioware is available in four grades: standard, alphaware, betaware, and deltaware."

QUOTE (Churl Beck)
I'm also perfectly fine with the fact that this annoys you to no end.

It certainly is annoying that it took you so long.

QUOTE (Churl Beck)

That's no assumption, thats the word of the rules:
"Cyberware and bioware is available in four grades: standard, alphaware, betaware, and deltaware."
As Bioware is two-folded into Basic and Cultured, that makes any listed Bioware the equivalent of standard grade... while leaving open the possibility for upcoming rules allowing to upgrade Basic to Cultured.

QUOTE (Cain)
Or it could be a legacy issue, where they wanted different names for the same thing, and never got around to fixing it.

Well, it certainly looks like a legacy issue.

QUOTE (Cain)
Out of curiosity, why? The setup of SR4 seems to be loaded with cans of worms and easily-abused loopholes.

Hm, mostly for the hassle of computing the exact essence cost - there isn't much abuse possibility in it.
Churl Beck

QUOTE (Churl Beck)

Then what? How much?

That is a separate issue. If I said that "red" was a color, but I was unable to tell you its wavelengths, that does not prove that red isn't a color. For showing that cultured bioware is a "color," the following pattern, taken from page 64, is quite meaningful:

"Alphaware is a grade that is more Essence friendly and more costly."
"Betaware is a grade that is more Essence friendly and more costly."
"Deltaware is a grade that is more Essence friendly and more costly."
"Cultured bioware is a grade that is more Essence friendly and more costly."

Where does it says Cultured Bioware is the equivalent of Alphaware?

Never said that it was. I said that it was a grade, just like alphaware and the others.

QUOTE (Churl Beck)
That's one interpretation. Another interpretation is that "cultured bioware" is a subset of bioware in the same sense that "alpha-graded cyberware" is a subset of cyberware.

Which, indeed, both they are.
Just the one is a defined grade specified with rules, yet the other is an undefined grade without any further rules... then used as a category.

Correct. But at no point in that journey has it ceased to be a grade.

QUOTE (Churl Beck)

You are right, it isn't specified additionally that the four grades are mutually exclusive.
Just, to pick up you colored cars example/straw man again - under normal language usage, that is assumed unneccesary.

I never said it was necessary. It is implicit. And therefore it is implicit that cultured bioware cannot be delta-graded, being that both of them are grades.

QUOTE (Churl Beck)
I'm perfectly fine with leaving the rule as it is.

Thanks - that you finally accept that all theories on that matter have to bow the initial rule "Cyberware and bioware is available in four grades: standard, alphaware, betaware, and deltaware."

I hope that you are just joking and that this is not actually a reflection of your reading comprehension.

QUOTE (Churl Beck)
I'm also perfectly fine with the fact that this annoys you to no end.

It certainly is annoying that it took you so long.

As far as I can tell, you've been annoyed all along.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Churl Beck)
That is a separate issue.

Since you are trying to prove it has a relevant game effect (the exclusion of other game effects) - no.

So, back on topic:
Higher then what? How much costlier?

Unless you can name that, there is no base for your assumptions.
Even then, you would have to prove that those two grade systems are mutually exclusive.

QUOTE (Churl Beck)
If I said that "red" was a color, but I was unable to tell you its wavelengths, that does not prove that red isn't a color.

If claiming that 'red' is a color, you have to show a color that you can name 'red'.

QUOTE (Churl Beck)
Correct. But at no point in that journey has it ceased to be a grade.

And still isn't interfering with the defined greek grade system, since the term 'grade' isn't capitalized and can be used twice...

I never said it was necessary. It is implicit. And therefore it is implicit that cultured bioware cannot be delta-graded, being that both of them are grades.

Sorry, that's a different level of implication and thus, a straw man and a slippery slope in one: wink.gif
The first is something implicit by usage, the second implicit only when using a reverse.
Azralon
We do not know if "Cultured" is or is not intended to be its own grade classification.

The RAW simply does not contain enough data to divine this either way without resorting to some sort of guesswork. There is blatantly conflicting information, so the RAW itself is suspect and cannot be used to argue either side to a logical conclusion.

So, as I've said, make your own individual assumptions and prepare for the possibility of being wrong when a developer makes an official declaration.
Churl Beck

QUOTE (Churl Beck)
That is a separate issue.

Since you are trying to prove it has a relevant game effect (the exclusion of other game effects) - no.

So, back on topic:
Higher then what? How much costlier?

Fortunately, I am not claiming that we need to have this information, because I am not introducing rules for taking a random piece of bioware and culture-grading it.

Unless you can name that, there is no base for your assumptions.
Even then, you would have to prove that those two grade systems are mutually exclusive.

Only if you also have to prove that alphaware and deltaware are mutually exclusive.

QUOTE (Churl Beck)
If I said that "red" was a color, but I was unable to tell you its wavelengths, that does not prove that red isn't a color.

If claiming that 'red' is a color, you have to show a color that you can name 'red'.

"Green is a color that has a higher wavelength."
"Yellow is a color that has a higher wavelength."
"Orange is a color that has a higher wavelength."
"Red is a color that has a higher wavelength."

And your argument is simply that "red" isn't further explicated in the book, and since "color" isn't capitalized, therefore you can assign any meaning you like to it.

Sorry, that's a different level of implication and thus, a straw man and a slippery slope in one. wink.gif

A straw man is when one opposes a position by mischaracterizing it. A slippery slope is when one opposes something by claiming that it inevitably leads to something worse. The sentence you quoted is a proposition; it is not opposing anything. But I am not surprised that you continue to misappropriate well-defined logical terms.

EDIT:
"Socrates is a man." If it is implicit that all men are mortal, then it is implict that "Socrates is mortal." But you just called this line of reasoning a slippery slope, so perhaps trying to convince you with logical arguments is a mistake.
Cain
For showing that cultured bioware is a "color," the following pattern, taken from page 64, is quite meaningful:

"Alphaware is a grade that is more Essence friendly and more costly."
"Betaware is a grade that is more Essence friendly and more costly."
"Deltaware is a grade that is more Essence friendly and more costly."
"Cultured bioware is a grade that is more Essence friendly and more costly."

Once again, you've made an unwarranted assumption in the prioritizing. Alphaware states that it's more Essence-friendly and more costly than standard cyberware. Betaware and Deltaware state that they're even more essence friendly and costly than Alpha. Cultured, however, only states that it's more Essence Friendly and costly than standard bioware.

You're assuming the chart must go like this: S---A---B---D---C
However, the problem is that there are an infinite number of other possibilities. Let's convert the grades to intergers, for an example. In this case, we'll set S=0, A=1, etc. Now, we have something that looks like this:

0---1---2---3

Now, the formula we have for determining the value of C is that C>S. In other words, C>0. So, C could be equal to 0.00000000001; which thanks to a little convention called Significant Figures, means that it's effectively the same as 0.

The point is that the difference between a "rule" and a "description" is not clear-cut. Another example: the rules for composure tests (page 130). A character rolls Willpower + Charisma. A failed roll means the character "temporarily freezes with shock, or trembles and pisses herself." It doesn't say anything about dice modifiers, or tables to consult, etc. And although there is leeway in how the situation is roleplayed, that doesn't mean that there are no rules for it.

Well, there *are* rules for composure tests; but in that section, there is only a description of what happens if you fail. Because of that, you can't fairly implement a penalty on a character who fails a composure test. Compare that to the Fear power, which lists specific in-game effects. The results of a failed Fear tests are rules, while the results of a failed composure test are roleplay guidelines.

That's kind of my point. If a piece of equipment is described as a "gun," then that means the rules for ranged combat apply to it.

Under the ranged combat section, it specifically mentions "guns". The rules don't apply because a descriptor is applied; the descriptor instead refers to a specific rule.

I would say that the word "ideal" is a flourish, of course, however it communicates the point that the drone is small and limber, which is necessary information for the GM and players alike.

Why? "Small" is already covered under Body, so what difference does "limber" make when calculating bonuses or penalties? Would you give the Kanmushi a bonus over an IBall, just because the IBall's description *doesn't* list it as being limber?

If there's a game effect to being "limber", it'd already be reflected in the Handling rating.

I suppose that view could be defended. However, I consider it even more speculative than the current discussion.

Why? Your argument hinges on the assumption that cultured bioware has a bonus above standard, and entirely relies on the fact that the cultured description specifically excludes cyberware. By your own standards, the same thing must apply to alphaware. If we assume that the terms "alpha" and "cultured" are interchangeable, like the sprite/spirit rules, then we see that there can easily be delta-grade reflex recorders.

Well, it certainly looks like a legacy issue.

Yeah, I get the feeling that they wanted to have three different kinds of advanced bioware, which would be equivalent to the alpha/beta/delta cyber ratings. Somebody probably politicked it to try and get the names standardized late in the game, but it was missed in the last few editing runs.

Hm, mostly for the hassle of computing the exact essence cost - there isn't much abuse possibility in it.

Considering that my last character attempt took me over four days to complete, I don't think ease-of-calculation fits anywhere in the SR4 mindview.

Churl Beck
QUOTE (Azralon)
We do not know if "Cultured" is or is not intended to be its own grade classification.

The RAW simply does not contain enough data to divine this either way without resorting to some sort of guesswork. There is blatantly conflicting information, so the RAW itself is suspect and cannot be used to argue either side to a logical conclusion.

I agree with you. However, Rotbart doesn't see why my interpretation is at least as likely as his, so the argument is likely to continue.
Cain
And I can't let this one go...

Only if you also have to prove that alphaware and deltaware are mutually exclusive.

They don't have to be. The rules very clearly state that higher grades of bioware and cyber exist. Just because something exists as alphaware doesn't mean that it can't also exist as deltaware. Does the fact that alpha wired reflexes are possible automatically mean that you can't have delta-wired?
Churl Beck
QUOTE (Cain)
And I can't let this one go...

They don't have to be. The rules very clearly state that higher grades of bioware and cyber exist. Just because something exists as alphaware doesn't mean that it can't also exist as deltaware. Does the fact that alpha wired reflexes are possible automatically mean that you can't have delta-wired?

Not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that they don't stack. So you can't have a single piece of cyberware that is both alphaware AND deltaware.
Azralon
QUOTE (Churl Beck)
However, Rotbart doesn't see why my interpretation is at least as likely as his, so the argument is likely to continue.

Ah; well, carry on then.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Churl Beck)
Fortunately, I am not claiming that we need to have this information, because I am not introducing rules for taking a random piece of bioware and culture-grading it.

Yet you are trying to claim that 'cultured' means 'higher than anything'.
Proof, please.

QUOTE (SR @ p. 64, Implant Grades)
Higher grades of cyberware and bioware known as alphaware, betaware, and deltaware are available. Alphaware is more Essence friendly than standard cyberware, but is more costly as well. Betaware and deltaware are even more Essencefriendly and expensive, but are also harder to acquire and are not available to starting characters.
Additionally, there is a higher grade of bioware that has been grown from the recipient’s own cloned cells, known as cultured bioware. Cultured bioware is more Essence friendly than standard bioware, but is  core costly as well.

QUOTE (SR @ p. 303, CYBERWARE AND BIOWARE GRADES)
Cyberware and bioware is available in four grades: standard, alphaware, betaware, and deltaware.

Now, please explain how you are computing a strong exclusion out of 'additionally'. wink.gif

The theory of least assumptions still is four major grades first, then two additional grades for bioware.

QUOTE (Churl Beck)

I would, if trying to convince someone that he can't have two delta delta reflex boosters - the book doesn't exclude that possibility strongly.

QUOTE (Churl Beck)
And your argument is simply that "red" isn't further explicated in the book, and since "color" isn't capitalized, therefore you can assign any meaning you like to it.

Now that's a straw man. grinbig.gif
'grade' describes the fact of setting a range, 'color' describes the range itself.

A straw man is when one opposes a position by mischaracterizing it.
A slippery slope is when one opposes something by claiming that it inevitably leads to something worse.

Which, no matter what you claim, you did. wink.gif
Trying to opose something is intrinsic for arguments in a dispute.

QUOTE (Churl Beck)
"Socrates is a man." If it is implicit that all men are mortal, then it is implict that "Socrates is mortal." But you just called this line of reasoning a slippery slope, so perhaps trying to convince you with logical arguments is a mistake.

Yet again, a straw man.
What you present is a conclusion through forward implication, your basic theory I criticise was a conclusion by reverse implication.

Sorry, but the one clearly lacking logical abilities is you. wink.gif

QUOTE (Churl Beck)
Not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that they don't stack. So you can't have a single piece of cyberware that is both alphaware AND deltaware.

Where does it say that?
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Azralon)

By parsing the RAW it is - additionally after the fist four grades, yet undefined in game terms, which would be necessary converting basic into cultured.

QUOTE (Azralon)
The RAW simply does not contain enough data to divine this either way without resorting to some sort of guesswork.

No guesswork up until now. wink.gif
Azralon
Wow, you were dead on about that, Churl.
Rotbart van Dainig
Hush, there still is horse left. twirl.gif
hyzmarca
QUOTE (TinkerGnome @ Feb 28 2006, 08:45 AM)
QUOTE (Cray74 @ Feb 28 2006, 08:27 AM)

We could always buy copies of the Spawn of Fashan and start argueing about that. Its slightly less confusing than SR4 but it still has plenty of goodness. Why, with its open-endedness we could even make an SR4-era Destiny Table for it.

Logica; analysis doesn't work here and shouldn't even be attempted. Logic has plenty of flaws and should be thrown out when it doesn''t work. Why, if Newton stuck to logic we still wouldn't understand gravity since logic says that you can't divide by zero. The Federation HQ isn't on Vulcan for a very good reason.
Dissonance
Seriously. Who needs drugs when you can just read discussions about magic or cyber? I remember a discussion about... I think it was either Improved Invis or possibly Physical Mask back in SR3 that positively blew my mind.
Churl Beck
Yet you are trying to claim that 'cultured' means 'higher than anything'.
Proof, please.

No, I am claiming that "cultured" is a type of "grade"--just like alpha-, beta-, and delta-grades--regardless of where it fits on that spectrum.

Now, please explain how you are computing a strong exclusion out of 'additionally'. wink.gif

See below. Specifically, see what you call "reverse implication."

A straw man is when one opposes a position by mischaracterizing it.
A slippery slope is when one opposes something by claiming that it inevitably leads to something worse.

Which, no matter what you claim, you did. wink.gif
Trying to opose something is intrinsic for arguments in a dispute.

"The sky is blue" is a proposition. Just because someone might disagree doesn't mean that it is in any way a characterization of their belief.

Yet again, a straw man.
What you present is a conclusion through forward implication, your basic theory I criticise was a conclusion by reverse implication.

Sorry, but the one clearly lacking logical abilities is you. wink.gif

"Socrates is a man." If it is implicit that all men are mortal, then it is implict that "Socrates is mortal."

"Cultured bioware is a grade." If it is implicit that grades do not stack, then it is implicit that "Cultured bioware does not stack."

I guess it's "forward implication" only when you happen to agree with the conclusion.

QUOTE (Churl Beck)

Where does it say that?

It doesn't. If you want to claim that a single piece of ware can be both alpha- and delta-graded, then be my guest. I don't think you'll get much support for that view (and you've already confessed that it's implicit in any case), but at least it's consistent. It also has the advantage of putting an end to our disagreement.
eidolon
I love a good debate over silly, meaningless nonsense that doesn't get anyone anywhere as much as the next Dumpshocker wink.gif

But just from my cursory glance through the black pit of the SR4 book, I see that the bioware consists of two "groupings". Some stuff that can be "off-the-rack", and some stuff that has to be cultured.

This leads me to automatically conclude that:
1. Both standard and cultured bioware can exist at any grade
2. "Cultured" is not a grade of bioware.

1, because it makes it very clear in the gear section that the reason cultured exists at all is because certain bio can only be implanted in one's body if it has been grown specifically for you. This is given as the separation between standard and cultured, and therefore it is only logical to assume that both exist at "grades".

2, because of that same division. If "cultured" were a grade, then there wouldn't be 'ware that you could only get as cultured. Is there any cyber that you can only get if you buy it at Delta?

Of course, this is only so cut and dry a case if you're ignoring the SR3 convention that although some things had to be cultured, basic could be cultured, granting reduced loss for a higher price. However, given the copious amounts of pre-determined conventions that were ignored in SR4, this isn't much of a leap.

Based solely on the SR4 book as it stands alone, it doesn't actually seem that there's much of a question, really.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Churl Beck)
"Cultured bioware is a grade."

True - a grade.

QUOTE (Churl Beck)
If it is implicit that grades do not stack, then it is implicit that

There is the reverse:
It is only implicit that the normal four grades don't stack (as those are listed as choice.)
Your reverse is that 'grade' inherits that restriction, even if used out of that specific context.

QUOTE (Churl Beck)
"Cultured bioware does not stack."

So, that isn't a flawless conclusion.

QUOTE (Churl Beck)
I guess it's "forward implication" only when you happen to agree with the conclusion.

Let's see.
"Bioware is available in four grades."
"Cultured Bioware is Bioware."
->
"Cultured Bioware is available in four grades."
Not implications, no reverse, directly true. wink.gif

But, while it has been fun...
QUOTE (Re: Shadowrun Website Question)
Hiya,

in SR4, it possible to purchase bioware in alpha/beta/delta grades.
    Does this include cultured bioware?

Yes, to all of the above.

:: Rob Boyle ::

Shadowrun Developer for FanPro LLC
Thanee
Thanks Rotbart, for digging that out (or having it answered, if the question came from you). Certainly clears up the confusion about bioware grades. It's what I had expected, but it wasn't entirely clear how it was meant to be. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Azralon
Um.

Does this include cultured bioware?

The usage of the pronoun "this" keeps things in the fuzzy, angry place.

Rob could be confirming either:

"It is possible to purchase bioware in alpha/beta/delta (including cultured) grades."

- or -

"It is possible to purchase bioware (including cultured) in alpha/beta/delta grades."

.... It's almost funny.
Brahm
That is all the time we have this week folks! Be sure to join us next week when we discuss the meaning of Is.
wobble.gif sleepy.gif dead.gif
Azralon
QUOTE (Brahm)
That is all the time we have this week folks!

But that's definitely funny. smile.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
Harrr.

Never underestimate the power of the horse. twirl.gif
FrankTrollman
Ugh. The meaning of "this" indeed. :rolleyes:

What would it take for people to just calm down and let people buy cultured bioware in Betagrade? If Augementation said something like:

Cultured bioware need not be made Alpha-, Beta-, or Delta-grade, though it certainly can be.

Would you guys find that sufficiently explicit? Or would you need something with even less wiggle room? Maybe a squad of angels glowing in the sky sending telepathic impetus in every language demanding that characters be allowed to purchase Alpha-grade Damage Compensators if they can afford it?

-Frank
stevebugge
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Maybe a squad of angels glowing in the sky sending telepathic impetus in every language demanding that characters be allowed to purchase Alpha-grade Damage Compensators if they can afford it?

-Frank

I don't need that, but you have to admit it would be prett cool if it happened.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012