Rooks
Men +1 str +1 body/bone density but still does stun damage
Women +1 agility +1 charisma

both could be gender stat maxiums as well

questions comments concerns?
hobgoblin
thats one nasty make troll!
Gretik
Female and male bodies are not much less durable than one another.

Women are not that much more agile naturally either - the only difference is that on average men have more upper body strength.
Ravor
Although I'm hesitant to go down this road, not because of political correctness, but simply because I'm not sure that on a 1-6 Scale there really is enough of an average difference to warrant any modifers, if I were going to do such a thing I think I'd use one of these two systems.

System (1)

Men:
(Strength +1)

Women
(Body +1)

System (2)

Men:
(Strength +1 Body -1 Logic +1 Intuition -1)

Women:
(Body +1 Strength -1 Intuition +1 Logic -1)

Either way, the important thing is to keep the 'value' of the Stat Mods more or less balanced, which you haven't done, because contrary to the various trolls on the internet, despite the differences between the two sexes, they are equal.
Gretik
Um... Where the heck are those figures coming from?

I think it is overall a bad idea to try this.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Ravor)
because contrary to the various trolls on the internet, despite the differences between the two sexes, they are equal.

oh there is some recent research that suggest our brains do things diffrently. but bodily we are about similar (if you disregard those extra fleshy bits on her chest, and the facial hair on him).

something about men learning better when under short but intense stress or something like that. dont recall the text verbatim at the moment...

still, that could be conditioning from being in the army or something for all i know wink.gif
Gretik
Averagely i do not think it makes much of a difference, not enough to unbalance what is already a simplistic system. (Kind of anyway.)
Cray74
I'm not sure if the game actually has enough "resolution" in its attributes to catch the difference between men and women.
Rooks
and now time to open up pandoras box
so its just a coincidense that olympics are still gender segregated most world records are held by men their bones weigh more and are tougher

meanwhile women on average speak lot more words a day than males and have an easier time socially with members of both genders and a generally more flexable
MK Ultra
There are some gender differences in both physical and mental performance, which are well researched and statistically significant.
Still, while these differences are not insignificant, they are in most properties probably not big enough, to warrent a modifire on a 1-6 scale.
Another problem is to locat these advantages in the gamemechanics. I.e. women are superior in manual dexterity (agil), have a better memory for real objects (logic) and can speak more fluently (charisma, logic, language skills?), among other things, while men are stronger, faster, have better reaction and endurence, allso, they are better with complex math, among other things.

I mostly handel it by "soft" rp-ing modifires, insted of hard mechanical effects. I.e. while a St 5 or 6 male is allready big and uncommon, a woman with St 6 will be verry rare and an obvious hulking chunk of muscles compared to other females, which is probably often mistaken as a man in dim light, from far away and sometimes on plain sight. Same goes for a man with St 1. I probably won´t allow a female character with exceptional St without a very special storry. Bod is a similar storry. There won´t be many females with Ch 1 either.
The other stats incorporate to many things, that are not as easily quantifiable and allso often adress traits that are more prevelent in one gender, as well as traits, where the other gender is superior (i.e. Logic, see above, or agility (see above but men are better with throwing and shooting)).

So I think SR simply has too little resolution in stats, to have many gender based hard mechanics.
hyzmarca
Males STR and BOD maximums +1

Females gain a power called "flash" which costs a simple action and forces any male character to to spend his next combat turn gawking if he fails a threshold 12 willpower test.
MK Ultra
*FLASHHHHHHH* eek.gif

rotfl.gif
MK Ultra
rotfl.gif

"dumdumdumdumdumdumdumdum FLASHHHH, UHUUUUU, saivioroftheunivers dumdumdumdumdumdumdumdum He saved everyoneofus ..."

spin.gif

EDIT: OMG, I better get some sleap..

BTW: every female character gets one smugling compartment/skin pocket extra

OMGOMGOMG, I really better go to bed now, I´m sorry, g´n8.
Ravor
Gretik

Um... Where the heck are those figures coming from?

Thin air, you know, pretty much the same place any of the so-called "Gender Stats" are pulled. silly.gif (Actually, I'm taking the debunked stereo-types of men being stronger and better with 'left brain' activities and women being in better health and 'right brain'.)

I think it is overall a bad idea to try this.

Oh I quite agree, but I figure that if the OP is actually going to try to enforce his prejudices then I figure at the very least he should be introduced to some prejudices that end up better balanced between the sexes. wink.gif

Rooks

and now time to open up pandoras box
so its just a coincidense that olympics are still gender segregated most world records are held by men their bones weigh more and are tougher

meanwhile women on average speak lot more words a day than males and have an easier time socially with members of both genders and a generally more flexable

Aye , however something to keep in mind is that you are dealing with a system that is rated 1-6, as I said in my first post and several other people have also stated likewise, the differences aren't large enough to warrent even a +1 in Shadowrun's system.

Glyph
I think gender differences are too subtle to convey in a system like SR4, which is designed to be abstract and relatively simple.

Plus, Rook's proposed modifications would definitely favor females - an Agility and Charisma bonus, versus a Strength bonus and an extra damage resistance die? Even for a sammie, being a woman would be more effective (since Agility is the uber-stat for combat), not to mention a face or shaman. And combining the bonuses for female with the bonuses for elf... yikes! love.gif
MK Ultra
probably the only hard rules mod I would consider (but don´t really, because it´s a minor mechanical diference anyway), is giving male characters a small discount on the exceptional strength quality and let femal pc/npc pay the same amount less on the exceptional charisma quality. No more then 5 bp discount, though. Or better (as not to lower the everage bp spent in chargen), make it a mod for one gender (doesn´t metter which, but I´d chose women, since female characters are less frequent in my gaming group then male ones) give the proposed discount and make the other quality 5 bp more costly, i.e. for females pay -5 for ex.ch and +5 for ex.st, for males use the standard rules.
This way, the mod would only effect extrem characters, were the statistical diferences are biger, and it would not be a totally unbalancing automatic bonus. Allso, I would not adress other attributes then st & ch, see my previous post.
Apathy
This topic's already been beaten to death.

Ultimately, I would suggest that it's counter-productive to do this, because:
  • it'll encourage even more power-gaming.
  • it's likely to offend somebody out there (and therefore fails the 'fun' rule).
  • it could just as easily be covered with good roleplaying.
  • The stats are not granular enough to cover the specific items that show an appreciable difference between genders. (A bonus to Charisma would apply equally to intimidation skills as to negotiation.)
  • There's no universal agreement on how much of the difference between male and female stats is influenced by biological differences and how much is just cultural/social influences.
hyzmarca
The only rules mod I'd consider is the one MK Ultra suggested. Men get one free smuggling compartment. Women get two free smuggling compartments.
Kyoto Kid
...oops, er... wrong room.

[sound of door closing]
Shrike30
You know, people... you could always just set your character's stats to reflect the character... not just gender, but size, strength, level of physical activity, how well they deal with people, how smart they are, etc, without thinking "Boy, it'd be so much easier for my character to think straight if they were female." You know... just have the stats reflect your image of the character.

Or is that too simple a solution?
MK Ultra
Exactly what I meant to propose in my first post IIRC. But since this is a rules thread, I tried to serve the topic.

hyzmarca
All your bad influence you female, lesbian, elven, surge-cat player nyahnyah.gif

EDIT: "FLASH UAAAAHH dumdumdumdum ..."
hobgoblin
elven? night one damn it!
MK Ultra
Oh, did I mixe up something? If so, I´m sorry. Nightones are much more munchkinese in any way, so if it was a regular elf, it should better be converted (allso consider making her an albino on top of it).
Johnnycache
Why is this needed? You get the stats you pay for in points, and if you want them to be somehow consistent with a roleplaying weakness of your character, don't max them out.

hobgoblin
QUOTE (MK Ultra)
Oh, did I mixe up something? If so, I´m sorry. Nightones are much more munchkinese in any way, so if it was a regular elf, it should better be converted (allso consider making her an albino on top of it).

sorry, the post should have had a silly.gif at the end of it wink.gif
Azralon
QUOTE (Shrike30)

Bah, they're not interested in Occam's Razor unless it's a dikoted monofilament weapon focus playing host to a Machine sprite.
hobgoblin
hmm, can a technomancer have sex with a machine sprite?
Azralon
Virtual Person. That's all I'm saying.
Azathfeld
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

In a drone, sure. I'd suggest that that Doberman be heavily modified first.
hobgoblin
quite the mental image i must say...

"looking forward" to the sourcebook with rules for humanoid drones...
Brahm
QUOTE (Azathfeld)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Mar 14 2006, 02:42 PM)

In what way? Adding wool for the velco chaps to stick to?
Johnnycache
QUOTE (Azralon)
QUOTE (Shrike30 @ Mar 13 2006, 08:56 PM)

Bah, they're not interested in Occam's Razor unless it's a dikoted monofilament weapon focus playing host to a Machine sprite.

And....sigged.
Azathfeld
QUOTE (Brahm)
QUOTE (Azathfeld @ Mar 14 2006, 03:26 PM)

Wool? What are you, a furry?
Azralon
QUOTE (Johnnycache)
QUOTE (Azralon @ Mar 14 2006, 01:33 PM)

And....sigged.

Aw, shucks. cool.gif
Brahm
QUOTE (Azathfeld)
QUOTE (Brahm @ Mar 14 2006, 03:46 PM)
QUOTE (Azathfeld @ Mar 14 2006, 03:26 PM)

Wool? What are you, a furry?

Hey, I'm not the one suggesting roughriding a mechanical dog! nyahnyah.gif
Brahm
Hey, I'm not the one suggesting roughriding a mechanical dog! nyahnyah.gif Just asking the obvious questions. wink.gif
hobgoblin
err, there is a edit function...
Waltermandias
I hope that drone has a real good "pilot" rating.
Dissonance
Snerk. All of a sudden, I'm reminded of the Aibo with the underbarrel cybersquirt/dartgun with a DMSO/Gamma Scop payload and a penchant for lovin' legs.
Rooks
QUOTE (Azralon)

how I sorry didn't know that a man will to walk 2 days straight for help after being straned for a week in a middle of nowhere in snow is "insiginifigant"
Dissonance
... What?
Azralon
I'm not sure, Dis, but I think Rooks just failed the Turing test.
Dissonance
SmarterChild, is that you?
Rooks
wtf is a turing test?
Fresno Bob
I think he's saying "I'm sorry, but I didn't know that a man's will to walk two days straight for help, after being stranded in snow in the middle of nowhere, is 'insignificant'."
Fresno Bob
Oh. The Turing Test was a test devised by Alan Turing to see if a computer could pass as a human.
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (MK Ultra)

hyzmarca
All your bad influence you female, lesbian, elven, surge-cat player nyahnyah.gif

SO what are the stat mods for lesbianism?
Thyme Lost
QUOTE (Voorhees)
Oh. The Turing Test was a test devised by Alan Turing to see if a computer could pass as a human.

When the turing test first can out, a computer could pass for human if it could "act" more like a lady than ladies wobble.gif

Sure... that is the really SHORT way to say what the first turing test was like...

Thyme...
hyzmarca
Ironicly, I think that statement also failed the Reverse Turing Test. The one where a human tries to pretend to be a machine.

It also makes no sense since women can do the same (although they would probably ask for directions and thus avoid bcoming lost in the snow in the first place).

Stats mods for lesbians?

In addition to the Flash power that all women get they obtain the Hot Girl-on-Girl Action power. Any two (or more) lesbians, a lesbian and a bisexual/bicurious female, or a lesbian and a hetrosexual female who is too drunk to care can initiate the HGoGA power using a complex action. While using this power no hetrosexual male in LOS can take an action or make a perception test since they'll all be too busy staring at the lesbian makeout session. Sustaining this power costs a complex action for both participants per IP and is broken if either takes another action.

Homosexual males get a similar power (Hot Guy-on-Guy Action) which has the same effect on hetrosexual females.

In addition, all lesbians get a bonus IP (because they get so much done in a day) and automaticly get all other lesbians as free loyality 1 contacts (Go Team).
Fresno Bob
The Homosexual Males' power only works on heterosexual females if said females are fans of anime, the the Lesbians' power only works on frat boys.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012