Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Skinlink?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Bercilak
Could someone explain to me how a skinlink for a comm works? (p. 318 SR4) The rules say that

With skinlink, a device is adapted to send and receive data transmitted through the electtical field on the surface of metahuman skin. Though limited to touch, skinlink communication has the advantage of being protected from signal interception or jamming.

I'm having a hard time understanding how such a device would work. Does it only allow communication with other items in skin contact? (i.e. your gun, but not regular AR)?

How protected is such a link? Would a Hacker have to touch the character to hack the commlink?

Why would a character want or not want to have this cheap (50 nuyen) mod on their link?

Thanks in advance.
Dashifen
The skinlink on your commlink would allow you to communicate with any other electronic device that has a skinlink and is touching skin (some GM's allow gloves/clothing in between the device and the skin, YMMV). Thus, a skinlinked commlink could talk to a skinlinked set of glasses (glasses touch skin at the nose and by the ears) to display AR but if your skinlinked commlink wanted to communicate with, say, you're teammate's commlink you'd need to rely on the normal wireless capabilities of your commlink and not the skinlink --- unless, of course, your buddy's commlink is skinlinked and he/she's touching you.

Such a link is almost completely protected in that the communicates could only be intercepted within your PAN if the hacker is touching you and also has a skinlink. However, remember that if the commlink itself is hacked, which it can be if it's wireless signal is active, then your devices are still vulnerable. However, skinlinks remove the possibility of intercepting the wireless device traffic and spoofing commands via Electronic Warefare. Also, don't forget the jamming part of the RAW quoted by the original-poster. If an area jammer is thrown into the middle of a gun battle, smartlink bonuses may just fizzle if the communication of your wireless smartlink is jammed. My PC's hated that one vegm.gif

Why would a character not want it? Because they're not tech-savy or short on cash. Or, if you're GM is a stickler for the rules and argues that wearing clothing breaks the skinlink then it might be better to use a non-skinlinked commlink and wireless communication and wear normal disguise pieces like gloves and masks.

Lastly, for combat scenarios I've run, the hackers have never been able to actually intercept the wireless traffic nor have they been able to hack commlinks before the rest of the team kills the person they're trying to hack. The only time someone did successfully hack another person's commlink in combat was only because she made the rest of the team promise not to kill the guy she was hacking until last so that she could hack him at all. Thus, skinlink is, primarily, a flavor-based paranoia thing and, in my games, has not been a useful addition to commlinks and devices.

As always, YMMV.
Geekkake
Dashifen's response was about as good as you can get. I second it across the board.
fool
One idea I had for hacking into someone's skinlink was to hack it and then start rapidly fluctuating the temperature that they felt making them go 75C to -20C in a flash. I'll admit that I haven't tried to hack a commlink yet... I'm a mage afterall and that is what chaotic world is for.
Azralon
QUOTE (fool)
One idea I had for hacking into someone's skinlink was to hack it and then start rapidly fluctuating the temperature that they felt making them go 75C to -20C in a flash. I'll admit that I haven't tried to hack a commlink yet... I'm a mage afterall and that is what chaotic world is for.

I do not think it means what you think it means.
Mr. Unpronounceable
Unless they also have a touchlink, that isn't likely to work - skinlinks don't override perceptions of reality - they're merely replacements for cables.
stevebugge
Ok here's an odd question:

If a character with a skinlink is hit with a shock baton or shock hand, would that fry all of the skinlinked devices?

More fun:

If you have a skinlink and shock hands, would the shock hands have to be shielded to keep from frying your own skinlink?
kigmatzomat
You're confusing touchlink with skinlink.

Skinlink is simply a way of transmitting data across human skin. If you've ever had a physics class where you make a human chain with the person at one end holding the live wire on a power source and the person at the other end holding a flourescent tube, the human body is capable of harmlessly conducting a couple of watts of (specifically tuned) electricity. Skinlink uses that ability to transmit data to other devices in contact with the host's body.

Touchlink is the sim-sense tech that lets you get physical sensations from AR or BTL. Not a common bit of tech, really. How often do you need to feel the temperature of a volcano or the skin of a snake from an Indiana Jones vid?

Brahm
QUOTE (stevebugge)

If a character with a skinlink is hit with a shock baton or shock hand, would that fry all of the skinlinked devices?

It might cause a check for them the same as a vehicle gets for being 'stunned'.

If you have a skinlink and shock hands, would the shock hands have to be shielded to keep from frying your own skinlink?

Shock Gloves you mean? They already come with insulation built in.
stevebugge
QUOTE (Brahm @ Mar 15 2006, 02:32 PM)
QUOTE (stevebugge @ Mar 15 2006, 05:22 PM)

It might cause a check for them the same as a vehicle gets for being 'stunned'.

No I meant the cyber-implant Shock Hands, or the shock feature on cyber replacement hands
Brahm
QUOTE (stevebugge)
QUOTE (Brahm)
QUOTE (stevebugge)

No I meant the cyber-implant Shock Hands, or the shock feature on cyber replacement hands

Same deal. Do they shock the person they are built into? They'll have insulation built into them as well to issolate the contact area from the rest of the person.
Rotbart van Dainig
Skinlink is using modulation of the EM field of the human body to transmit data.
The rules require touch range, not nececarily skin contact, too, so basically,gitting elektrocuted may cause 'noise', but usually won't kill the devices.
stevebugge
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Skinlink is using modulation of the EM field of the human body to transmit data.
The rules require touch range, not nececarily skin contact, too, so basically,gitting elektrocuted may cause 'noise', but usually won't kill the devices.

So a Taser dart may temporarily disable a skinlinked smartlink then? Or at least distort it's signal enough to make it useless for an action or two?
Brahm
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Mar 15 2006, 06:47 PM)

However the electricity from a shock weapon has to pass the skin first to get into muscle/nervous system where it does it's thing. Even with taser darts they are going to have the potential [pun alert wink.gif] to have a current passing through the skin which might flow into the Skinlinked device via it's antenea. I'd be inclined to have one random device make the check based on damage after resisting roll is made.

But I would also understand ruling that it does not interfere in a significant way.
TonkaTuff
QUOTE (stevebugge)
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Mar 15 2006, 03:47 PM)

So a Taser dart may temporarily disable a skinlinked smartlink then? Or at least distort it's signal enough to make it useless for an action or two?

Perhaps - but it's possible (if not probable, depending on the weapon) that the owner of that smartlink has also been temporarily disabled by that same taser shot, so having the hardware offline for a couple of passes would probably be a bit of a moot point.
Glayvin34
I find the Skinlink to be useful for my Technomancer. It allows silent and non-detectable communication through the Living Persona and gives a node to store data on, compile sprites, or whatever else. Otherwise a Technomancer has to transmit a wireless signal or use trodes, even to local devices, which sucks if you're sneaking in somewhere or anyone nearby is good at EW.
Which brings up my point again that Resonance shouldn't decrease with essence. Then a technomancer can just get a freakin' datajack like everyone else and doesn't have to deal with skinlinks.
Rotbart van Dainig
Hrm, actually, Skinlink isn't that great for TMs - they only have a natural WiFi link...
Vaevictis
QUOTE (stevebugge @ Mar 15 2006, 07:08 PM)
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Mar 15 2006, 03:47 PM)

Possibly, but probably not. You can be sure that the skinlink receiver will have a fairly sharp and narrow bandpass filter which will nullify any noise that isn't at (or very near) the frequency of interest. The taser dart would have to be emitting electricity at the very nearly the same frequency as the skinlink is on to interfere, which I think is unlikely.
Shrike30
Hrm, actually, Skinlink isn't that great for TMs - they only have a natural WiFi link...

If a TM were to implant a commlink, he could DNI the comm and use it for skinlink comms with everything else he was packing. Admittedly, he takes a Resonance hit there, but a little bit of cyber can make anyone's life a lot easier...
Glayvin34

My GM and I assumed that Technomancers have a natural skinlink in addition to WiFi. They have skinlink technology nowadays in early phases. The information is conducted through the TM's body through simple em-based induction, and we didn't see how that was different from the TM resonating with a distant tranceiver.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012