Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Modern-day, six-shot revolver grenade launcher
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Platinum
http://www.gizmag.com/go/5371/
stevebugge
Sounds like a different take on the good old MGL-6 from Fields of Fire smile.gif
Lindt
Yep, its an MGL 6, or close enough. Though this isnt exactly easy to hide, and the MGL-6 is like the size of a bloody pistol...

Marines carry six-pack attack

I agree with the last guy though.
Kyoto Kid
gee....

KK would really like this one.

And she has some extra Karma from the last mission yet to spend.

alright pardner...Draw!
Eddie Furious
Heh, Rooimech has been marketing that bloody thing since the 80's. The Marines finally decided to pick it up a few years back for the Urban Warfare detail. Not small, but it certainly is effective. I saw a demo by the Rooimech reps back in the early 90's where they unloaded 6 40mm HE grenades in about 8 seconds on an old car on a target range... quite impressive.

Looks like they finally got them. They also look a bit different from the ones I saw at the demo.
SL James
I like the one in the second link: Retractable stock, modular rail mount, scope... Very neat.

But, yeah, when I saw the title my first thought was, "you mean the one Arnold used in T2?"
Fix-it
omg. DRACO rounds= Fuel-Air Explosive 40MM grenades...

Tasty. biggrin.gif

of course it looks quite a bit different than the original, the front has 4 piticanny rails on it, I'm not quite sure what for though. I can't imagine why or how a taclight or laser sight would be usefull on a grenade launcher.

oh well, I suppose they could put 40mm to 12 gauge adapters in it for close combat.
Lindt
close combat... with an MGL... what is this world comming to.

But DRACO = the king of chunky salsa... ouchies
Chance359
One of the side Piticanny rails would probably be used for an IR laser designator, and the top for the old flip-up leaf sight as a stand by in case the optic is malfunctioning.
ShadowDragon8685
Here's what I want to know....

What's the availability of a thermobaric 40mm round? smile.gif
Fix-it
yeah I wanna know as well. those things would be golden for booby traps.
Shrike30
QUOTE (Fix-it)
oh well, I suppose they could put 40mm to 12 gauge adapters in it for close combat.

Why bother? Just load one of the 40mm canister rounds I've read about being issued in Vietnam. That's a hell of a lot more buckshot going downrange then you'll get out of a 12 gauge shell...
Austere Emancipator
50% more shot (27 vs. 18 pellets of 00 buck) at 2/3rds - 3/4ths the velocity. More effective anti-personnel rounds might have come out since.

This trend for kewl acronyms in the defense industry is really getting out of hand. I simply cannot take some of the new 40mm ammunition seriously. "High Order Unbelievable Nasty Destructive Series (HELLHOUND)"? Stupidest fucking product name I've ever heard. Since they also say that their HEDP rounds fire molten metal jets, I'm not going to believe in their claims of dual purpose shaped charge & thermobaric grenade either.
Arethusa
What's the big deal about this thing? Revolving cylinder grenade launchers have been around for a while. They'll never get as small as the MGL-6 because we don't live in a world where idiocy and ignorance are valid engineering approaches.
stevebugge
QUOTE (Arethusa)
What's the big deal about this thing? Revolving cylinder grenade launchers have been around for a while. They'll never get as small as the MGL-6 because we don't live in a world where idiocy and ignorance are valid engineering approaches. [EDIT MIne]Unless you happen to work for the Washington State department of transportation.

Yeah the MGL 12 & 6 joined the Monowhip on the SR-Weapons you kind of have to wonder about list pretty early on, especially with the MGL-6's concealability rating.

"ARES Arms: producing ridiculous weapons with the firepower of a Howitzer that you can fit in the palm of your hand since 2054"

Canceled Marketing Slogan - ARES Marketing Intern's office

Lindt
That and the fact that a 40mm gernade is infact, 40mm...

I can buy the DRACO, but the HellHOUND sounds a bit... fictitius?

Either way, not something to be screwing around with if your on the business end.

And Steve, dont forget the AVS...
Austere Emancipator
The design of the HOUND at least is simply an improved version of a standard HEDP grenade launcher projectile: a more efficiently designed shell and warhead for greater fragmentation and blast effect.

The DRACO, on the other hand, claims to be a thermobaric weapon with a shaped charge for penetration, which requires two separate warheads in a projectile weighing about 1lb. Good luck with that.
warrior_allanon
funny you know, i've always thought that the MGL series was using the 20mm grenades that they were developing for the XM8 that would allow for easier concealment
Raygun
Argh...
Lindt
A penetrating Thermobaric gernade. I dont see how that could get though much more then a few sheets of drywall. From what I know (which Ill admit isnt much) those dont have the most 'UHMMF' as far as KE.

Its making Raygun go Argh? Thats never a good sign.
Eddie Furious
QUOTE (Raygun)
Argh...

Just ignore them... They're gamers, not soldiers.
Lindt
Hey, Ill freely admit that 3/4 of what I know about weaponry is thanks to dumpshock.

*waves Hi to the homeland securty people*
Arethusa
QUOTE (Eddie Furious)
QUOTE (Raygun @ Mar 17 2006, 09:25 PM)
Argh...

Just ignore them... They're gamers, not soldiers.

He's been here a year. He should have known better.
Austere Emancipator
Lindt: They're saying it'll have a shaped charge warhead, one of those hollow cone-shaped, copper-lined ones that anti-tank missiles use. The problem is that such a warhead requires a significant amount of space, and quite a bit of conventional explosives. In a more usual High Explosive Dual Purpose (having both a conventional High Explosive effect and a shaped charge for penetration) warhead, the amount of explosive in the shaped charge is simply increased and designed such that part of it's blast effect is directed outwards to spread the fragmentation from the shell of the warhead. However, if you wish to have a thermobaric effect in addition to the shaped charge the warheads have to be separate, since the thermobaric explosive filler cannot be used in the shaped charge.

You can see a cut-away of an M433 HEDP grenade here. Imagine cutting off the grey (explosive-filled) area a bit behind the rear end of the cone. The room that'd leave for the thermobaric warhead is a cylinder less than 40mm wide and about 20mm long. I have serious doubts that would make for an effective anti-personnel weapon.
ShadowDragon8685
Depends on just how volitale a fuel they use.

And I don't think they meant penetrating as in "armor penetrating", I think they meant penetrating as in "Made to go through a glass window and THEN go boom."
Foreigner
Actually, this sort of thing is not a new idea. smile.gif

The revolving-cylinder-type repeating grenade launcher has been around since before World War II.

The Manville company made two such weapons--the Rotary Launcher, an 18-shot 27mm weapon, was introduced in 1936. I'm not entirely certain of what sort of ammunition it was intended to use; however, my guess would be high-explosive, smoke, tear gas, and possibly buckshot or canister.

Those of you who may have seen the film adaptation of Frederick Forsyth's The Dogs of War (1981) would probably recognize it, as one of them--in the hands of actor Christoper Walken ("Jamie Shannon")--played a prominent supporting role in the film.

The same company also built a 12-gauge model, known as the Manville Gas Gun because of its intended purpose of firing tear gas cartridges for riot and crowd control, with a 20-shot revolving magazine.

You can find pictures of both weapons here: Security Arms

--Foreigner
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Depends on just how volitale a fuel they use.

What does? The effectiveness of thermobaric warhead weighing less than half a pound as an anti-personnel weapon?

Let's put it this way: If such a minuscule thermobaric warhead would make for an extremely effective weapon, why does the 4.6lb, 93mm diameter third-generation thermobaric warhead of an RPO-A Shmel only have a lethal radius of 4 meters in the open? Are we to believe that the explosives used in this miracle 40mm round are 10 times more efficient? If so, why aren't we seeing new thermobaric SMAW rounds that can demolish a 60ft square concrete building?

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
And I don't think they meant penetrating as in "armor penetrating", I think they meant penetrating as in "Made to go through a glass window and THEN go boom."

The only reason to use a shaped charge in such a projectile is to penetrate armor or heavy cover. Whether the grenade would use a delayed or particularly stiff fuze that would allow it to go through a light barrier like a window and detonate on the other side is a completely separate issue, and there it makes little difference what kind(s) of warhead(s) the projectile has.
Lindt
Oh my... they think they can cram enough boom in there to clean out cave systems? Im not sure that would clean out my living room. So from the sounds of it, this is someone trying to make one round do everyting (peirce armor, and create massive Anti personal damage) at once. So much for it working. But hey, at least the 6 gun launcher is a good idea.

Foreigner, so THATS what those where. Very cool.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012