Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Character - Looking for a review
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ludomastro
Hello all,

This is my first face character and I was wondering if everyone would take a look for me. I'm not trying for the fully tricked-out pheromone kid, so keep that in mind.

BASIC INFO:
Current Fake ID: Alex Marshall
Alternate Fake ID: Michael Smith
Street Name: Zero
Race: Elf

BIO:
[ Spoiler ]

STATS:
[ Spoiler ]

QUALITIES:
[ Spoiler ]

SKILLS:
[ Spoiler ]

CONTACTS:
[ Spoiler ]

GEAR:
[ Spoiler ]

Well, throw it at me! biggrin.gif

Edited by Alex on 19-MAR-2006 to reflect the recommendations of Ophis and FrankTrollman.
Ophis
two things on qualities. First why has he got exep att cha at start and not used it? a 7 in cha is doable as an elf with out, waste of 20 points as is. Second he has 40 points of neg qualities when he normally should only have 35.

I would have also gone for the influence skill group rather than seperate skills (though neg 6 is nice). I think leadership is a skill is cool, its all about getting people to do what you want because you look important/sound reasonable.
FrankTrollman
I agree with Ophis. Take an Influence Group at 4 (save 16 points), buy your Perception up to 6 (lose 8 points), and bring Charisma up to 8 (cost 10 points). Then unpimp your ride down to a VW Golf (save 2 points).

Also, if he has family from Seattle, he probably speaks something other than Sperethiel as a native language. As is, your English skill isn't even high enough to use your Negotiations of 6, which is problematic.

And yes, you have an illegal number of negative qualities. I'd suggest swapping the Sensitive System for Low Pain Tolerance.

-Frank
Ravor
Why not buy the Influence Skill Group to R4 and then 'improve' Negotiation up to R6? (One of the Sample Characters does it, so it should be considered Legal in most groups.)
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Ravor)
Why not buy the Influence Skill Group to R4 and then 'improve' Negotiation up to R6? (One of the Sample Characters does it, so it should be considered Legal in most groups.)

Which one does it?
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
QUOTE (Ravor @ Mar 19 2006, 11:12 AM)

Which one does it?

The Gunslinger Adept, even after errata, has an Improved Ability power on a skill that's inside a Group.

So it's really clear that you can get single skill enhancements on skills that are inside groups at or after character generation without breaking the group. That means that purchasing specializations or Reflex Recorders on individual grouped skills is totally kosher.

But, there's actually nothing to say either way whether you can start with a character that has a grouped skill and then breaks the group by purchasing up one of them. It's such a bad deal in the long run that I certainly have no problem with it, but the rules for breaking skill groups exist only on page 264 (which is part of the spending Karma between adventures rules), and 106 (where the rule itself is ommitted but demonstrated in an example that uses Karma costs). The rules never say you can't purchase skill groups apart with BPs, but then the rules for splitting and reintegrating skill groups don't exist - they are implied by an example only.

So it's gamemaster call until this gets settled by either a sample character spending BPs that way or an explicit clarification that BPs can't be spent that way.

-Frank
ludomastro
@ Orphis and FrankTrollman

Thanks for the suggestions. I was debating over the influence skill group versus individual skills for a while. I completely spaced the 35 BP limit. Somehow I had gotten it into my head that it was a net 35 BP one way or the other for the limit.

I fixed the following:

Language: English is native with Sperethiel at 4. (Fixed bio as well.)
Low Pain Tolerance in place of Sensitive System (This necessitated a few other changes.)
Charisma is at 8
Pistols is back down to a 1 without the specialization
The limo was unpimped to a Honda Spirit
Samuel (contact) now has loyalty of 3 (up from 2)
Influnce Skill Group at 4
Perception at 6

Thanks for the help! cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012