Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yakuza
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Thanos007
Just looking for flavor here. Any one know if there are any names associated with rank in the Yakuza other than Oyabun, Wakagashira? What does kobun meen? I think it just meens soldier but am courious any way.

Thanks

Thanos
DV8
Gumi: Yakuza Syndicate
Rengo: Alliance of Gumi
Oyabun: Clan or Syndicate Head
Wakagashira: Second in Command
Wakagashira-hosa: Assistant to the Wakagashira
Kumi-in: Made men
Komon: Advisors
Shingiin: Counselors
Hisho: Secretaries
Kaikei: Accountants

Kobun, as any Google would've revealed, is soldier.
Thanos007
Thanks. Next question are these just the standard japanese words for these positions or are they "slang"
Abstruse
Those are more or less the terms I've seen used in every bit of fiction I've ever read about the yakuza (including a few manga from Japan), so I'd guess those are what they're called. I believe the Underworld Sourcebook (not to be confused with Shadows of the Underworld) has a detailed breakdown of the yakuza's system of ranks including a tree.

The Abstruse One
DV8
I took the names and translations from the Underworld Sourcebook.
Large Mike

Also, an Oyabun is not necessarily the boss, and a kobun not necessarily the foot soldier. In actuality, each member, when they become Yakuza, get an Oyabun- someone who is in charge of them and their training, making sure they do well. The position is much like that of a big brother or father in the organization. The kobun is kobun to that oyabun for life. There are stories (real world) of leaders of gumi or rengo (used not quite, but almost interchangably) doing petty chores or errands for their oyabun, who at that point is usually either retired or still leading a gumi or rengo of their own. But in either case, they are usually something like 60 and 80, respectivly. So, unfortunatly, it's not really an indication of rank when one calls another 'oyabun'.

Yes, I'm a Great Big Dork, but I'm a Great Big Dork that has a section of his shelf dedicated to books on the Yakuza.
Abstruse
If you know anything about Japanese culture, this idea is previlent outside the Yakuza in Japanese society in general, but not the "for life" part. Instead of "kobun" and "oyaban", it's "kohai" and "sempai". The film and book Rising Sun by Michael Crighton does a good job of describing it but a horrible job of showing it. Basically the sempai is expected to guide and aide the kohai and the kohai is expected to help the sempai and show him/her respect.

The Abstruse One
DV8
Read The Enigma of Japanese Power by Karel van Wolferen on power, and the way it is excercised in Japanese society. It's a tough read, but very insightful for westerners.
otomik
don't forget the un-made men, the Chinpira or "little pricks"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012