Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do you like about SR4 and what changes?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Azralon
QUOTE (Dissonance @ Mar 30 2006, 05:17 PM)
I think you guys just like to argue.  Which is totally fine.

It's not fine, and I'm guilty of thinking that maybe if I say just one more thing to the resident brick walls then maybe they'll see reason.

I love academic discussions, but yelling at the people who disrupt them doesn't help get anything back on track. So my apologies for my outbursts along those lines.

I'm keeping my signature as it is, though. View it as a parting shot if you like, but goddamn if it isn't common sense.
mfb
QUOTE (Dissonance)
Well, I suppose that's the glorious thing about closed games. The only ones that really need to be concerned with unanimous/majority consent are the ones that take place at cons, for, like, Missions and so forth.

*shrug* i just prefer a game that doesn't require you to ignore problems.
James McMurray
Then you can't really play many games, can you?
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (mfb)
i just prefer a game that doesn't require you to ignore problems.

Ew. That is something I wouldn't dream of concerning Shadowrun in general.
SL James
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Dissonance)
Well, I suppose that's the glorious thing about closed games. The only ones that really need to be concerned with unanimous/majority consent are the ones that take place at cons, for, like, Missions and so forth.

*shrug* i just prefer a game that doesn't require you to ignore problems.

But that's what life's all about! Ignoring things that could even remotely disturb your narrow world view!
mfb
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Then you can't really play many games, can you?

cute, but as i've already said, it's a matter of how often i have to ignore problems.

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Ew. That is something I wouldn't dream of concerning Shadowrun in general.

agreed.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (SL James)
But that's what life's all about! Ignoring things that could even remotely disturb your narrow world view!

Indeed. The point it get's ugly is when proclaiming a crusade to fight those.
James McMurray
MFB: (and I wonder what the "mf" stands for): Obviously your idea of what constitutes a problem and mine is completely different. You feel likeSR4 has so many problems in it hat it's unplayable. I disagree.

Again, if you don't play SR4, and you don't play SR3 (or at least think it sucks), why are you on an SR board? Other than the obvious "because I like to troll" answer of course.
mfb
haha. you're calling me a troll in the same post where you call me a motherfucker? wow.

i'm here because i like SR. i've given this question more extensive answers in the past; if you're really interested, go find them.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (mfb)
i'm here because i like SR.

That's a pretty short way for saying 'I'm here because I like my idea of what SR should be.'
mfb
i do indeed like my idea of what SR should be. but i also like SR.
James McMurray
"Go find them" you seem to be mistaking me for someone who cares enough to put forth some effort. You, and other internet personas like you, just aren't worth that much effort. I'm only putting forth this much effort because I'm bored. Eventually I'll grow bored of your predictable sillinesses and move on, much like I recently did with Cain. But in the meantime, you must love abuse or you wouldn't have hung around here so long.

I never called you a motherfucker. I wondered what MF stood for. If you personal opinion is that the most likely answer is "motherfucker" then I pity you.

I also never called you a troll. I said that "because I like to troll" is an obvious answer to that question. It's one I've heard quite a few times, from people who were honest about why it is they do the things they do.
mfb
right. you 'just wondered'. what are you, in fifth grade? at any rate, unless there's any more actual discussion going on, hasta.
Azralon
Hooray!

So, anyway, what I particularly like about SR4 are the static target numbers and the lack of dice pools. It makes each individual die's worth much more consistent and therefore easier to eyeball a character's expected performance level. I find that useful as a GM when creating the opposition and useful as a player to gauge what I'm supposed to be able to do reliably.
James McMurray
Woohoo! And to think, all along all I had to do was inquire about his moniker. smile.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (mfb)
i do indeed like my idea of what SR should be.

Not that I said that this is a bad thing. wink.gif

QUOTE (mfb)
but i also like SR.

I don't.
As there are some aspects in SR1, SR2, SR3 and SR4 I don't like (to a varying degree), I certainly can't like SR as a whole.
mfb
QUOTE (Azralon)
It makes each individual die's worth much more consistent and therefore easier to eyeball a character's expected performance level.

that is a good point. i personally feel that it takes away from the games ability to portray realistic events, however. for instance, it's been my experience that it's much, much harder to hit a target that is both behind cover and hidden by darkness than it is to hit a target that is only protected by one of those factors. in other words, i feel that combining factors should have a synergistic effect, where the total effect is larger than the sum of its parts. i suppose you could achieve that in a fixed TN system by adding a -1 die modifer for each additional modifier beyond the first, but i'm not sure how well that would work in play.

As there are some aspects in SR1, SR2, SR3 and SR4 I don't like (to a varying degree), I certainly can't like SR as a whole.

throwing the baby out with the bathwater is a valid choice, i suppose. but it's not the choice i prefer.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (mfb)
but it's not the choice i prefer.

And that would be?
mfb
not throwing the baby out.
Rotbart van Dainig
Well, that leaves your statement watered down. rotfl.gif
mfb
untrue, for i have thrown out the bathwater and am even now towelling the baby!

wow, this metaphor has careened wildly out of control.
James McMurray
So you love SR but don't play it?
mfb
i play SR3 in lieu of a better system. if/when that better system is completed, i'll play that.
James McMurray
Good luck.
Rotbart van Dainig
'Toweling' is a strange term for performing invasive surgery. grinbig.gif

And so the circle closes.
mfb
thank-you.
James McMurray
You're welcome.
Cain
I don't have to. My players are what I like to call "mature" gamers.

How "mature" are they, when you report using GM railroading tactics at every opportunity? I'm quite confused. In my experience, mature gamers don't ever need to be handed GM fiat.
Right. I'm asking you to explain why your favorite system is better than SR4. I'm not asking you to do a rundown comparison, I'm asking specific questions with specific answers in mind.

eek.gif Where did I say that Shadowrun 3rd was my favorite system? It's one of my favorites, yes, but not the only one. The mechanics are good, but there are better systems out there. I like the Savage Worlds mechanics more for certain types of games-- it lends itself to pulpy, over-the-top settings. Shadowrun is best saved for the main Shadowrun world; just take a look at Harlequins Back for an example of this.
I don't agree with you. The desire to not make the biggest, baddest motherfucker in all of motherfuckerdom isn't purely a roleplaying decision.

If you start off as the aforementioned BBMFIAOMFD, you've given yourself a much more limited growth path. In order to increased your niche, you're spending an exponential amount of karma to get a minimal return.

Roleplay is entirely in the hands of the player. I can hand the most munched-out character possible to a good player, and everyone will have a good time. I can take the most "balanced" character and hand it to a bad player, and have the game collapse. In general, I've discovered that it's the characters with extremes that tend to bring out the best roleplay, in both good and bad players.

Honestly, I don't know what the major arguing point is, anymore. I think you guys just like to argue. Which is totally fine.

Guilty as charged. cool.gif
As for the edge thing? I think it's entirely reasonable to have freak occurances of luck when using edge. After all, it's a freak occurance on one action or one extended action. It can certainly turn the tide of a scene, or even an entire run, but that's kind of fun, too.

If Edge only helped with freak occurances of luck, that would be fine. It goes deeper than that, though-- it pushes things into the ludicrous category. I don't mind some of the other uses for edge at all, and I think some of them are actually pretty clever. It's the way it combines with Longshot tests, as part of the core mechanical principles, that I have the most issues with.
So, anyway, what I particularly like about SR4 are the static target numbers and the lack of dice pools. It makes each individual die's worth much more consistent and therefore easier to eyeball a character's expected performance level. I find that useful as a GM when creating the opposition and useful as a player to gauge what I'm supposed to be able to do reliably

That's also part of what I don't like. The reverse also becomes true, where the players can more accurately anticipate what the opposition is like. It becomes harder to alter things on the fly; if the guards are getting mowed down too easily, it's a bit obvious if their body suddenly jumps from 3 to 5. A linear predictability curve makes it too hard to scare the players at the low end, and too easy to scare them at the high end.
James McMurray
How can I be reporting GM Fiat? I haven't run the game yet. I'm reporting what I'd do if I had to, but luckily for me (as I've said before) I don't have to. Nice try though.
Cain
How can I be reporting GM Fiat? I haven't run the game yet. I'm reporting what I'd do if I had to, but luckily for me (as I've said before) I don't have to.

You said that if someone came up to you and proposed a powerful tactic, you'll say "great, now go away while the rest of us play Shadowrun." No discussion with the player, no reiteration of the goals of the game, just "go away". I hate to break it to you, but gaming isn't about only accepting the rules we like and discarding the rest, If you're constantly having to GM fiat to stop powerful tactics in the rules, most likely your skills as a GM are low or the system needs work. I'm assuming that your GM skills are at least decent, so that leaves the system as the likely culprit. Was I mistaken in that assumption? Would you put the blame more on your own skills, rather than the system? I really didn't think that was the case, so a clarification would be nice.
Azralon
QUOTE (Cain)
It becomes harder to alter things on the fly; if the guards are getting mowed down too easily, it's a bit obvious if their body suddenly jumps from 3 to 5.

"Alter things on the fly" = "GM cheating." Something I do not do.
mfb
what are your thoughts on the necessity in SR4 of the GM adjudicating thresholds on the fly, then?
Rotbart van Dainig
Necessity?
mfb
absolutely. that was the answer i recieved when i asked about shooting a stationary target at long range--if the modifiers don't reflect how difficult the shot should be, the GM needs to raise the threshold. you don't need a threshold against a living target, because they get a chance to dodge. but with stationary targets, you have to raise the threshold. or, at least, that's what everybody told me. moreover, that's exactly what the text of the Threshold section in SR4 says.
Rotbart van Dainig
Oh, I see.
You are confusing fixed estimations with changes on the fly.

As a sidenote, no, you don't usually change threshold in ranged combat, that's what dice pool modifiers are for. It was one of your biggest gripes.
mfb
they're not fixed. that's the whole point. if the GM has a perfect memory, they might be, i suppose. but the reality is that players are going to face different thresholds at different times, while performing the same actions in the same circumstances.

As a sidenote, no, you don't usually change threshold in ranged combat, that's what dice pool modifiers are for. It was one of your biggest gripes.

maybe you can get Brahm to understand that. i couldn't.
Rotbart van Dainig
That's a pretty moot point, as that is always the case in any gaming system using a 'difficulty' table for estimations.

On the long run, those estimations tend to fixed values, too, as that's how the learning works - even if situations are not the same, just similar.
Of course, in the beginning, there may be some variation, but this is mostly unintentional, opposed to changing things on the fly.
mfb
except that in most games, you don't use the difficulty table for common tasks (shooting, for instance)--you use the specific difficulties and modifiers that the game provides for those tasks. in SR4, you are supposed to use GM discretion to determine much of the difficulty of common tasks. at least, that's what everyone tells me when i point out how easy it is for high-end characters to perform very difficult tasks. if you, personally, don't do that, then you are the first SR4 player i've talked to who doesn't, and i have some questions for you regarding sniping in the dark.
Azralon
QUOTE (mfb @ Mar 31 2006, 02:32 PM)
what are your thoughts on the necessity in SR4 of the GM adjudicating thresholds on the fly, then?

Spontaneously altering an NPC's stats and determining an appropriate threshold difficulty are two entirely different things.

The first demonstrates an ill-prepared GM trying to cover his butt. The second is a standard component of gamemaster responsibilities. Don't mistake the two.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (mfb)
except that in most games, you don't use the difficulty table for common tasks (shooting, for instance)--you use the specific difficulties and modifiers that the game provides for those tasks. in SR4, you are supposed to use GM discretion to determine much of the difficulty of common tasks.

There are some suggestions for alternative ways to handle such common situations, but the rules are pretty well defined and don't call for much use of the difficulty table.

QUOTE (mfb)
at least, that's what everyone tells me when i point out how easy it is for high-end characters to perform very difficult tasks.

They lied to you.

QUOTE (mfb)
if you, personally, don't do that, then you are the first SR4 player i've talked to who doesn't, and i have some questions for you regarding sniping in the dark.

You mean like a guy sitting down at the rifle range at night and flipping some of the chicken-sized metal targets with a handgun?
The only real problem is whether you want a game that allows living legends to be larger than life.
James McMurray
"Gaming isn't about only accepting the rules we like and discarding the rest." Incorret. Every game out there will have rules my group likes and rules we don't. It's called "house rules" and it's an integral part of every gaming experience outside of tournaments, and even those generally have a few tournament rulings or bannings thrown in.

"Would you put the blame more on your own skills, rather than the system? " When did I ever say the system was perfect? When did I ever say it had to be? For that matter when did I ever say there was nothing wrong with my gaming / GMing skills? When did I ever say there had to be.

Tard.

---

On the side topic: I freely admit to changing things on the fly if needbe. I won't do it to make sure pet NPCs survive," or "prevent the group fro accomplishing task X," but if I drop down some stats wth the assumption the the guy is a threat and it turns out he isn't, I'll change those stats. Lofwyr shouldn't become a pussy because I had a brain fart.
mfb
There are some suggestions for alternative ways to handle such common situations, but the rules are pretty well defined and don't call for much use of the difficulty table.

well, then, i posit that difficult tasks are not difficult enough in SR4, at least for high-end characters. however, i'm not going to waste time defending this statement any more than i already have. the arguments set against it when i made the same statement previously boiled down to "the GM has to use thresholds to fix that". if that's not what's supposed to happen, then my statement is correct.

The only real problem is whether you want a game that allows living legends to be larger than life.

the real problem is whether or not the game mechanics reflect the setting that the game is attempting to portray. SR4 was intended to be more 'street level' and 'gritty'. maybe it's just me, but living legends who are larger than life (holy alliteration, batman!) simply don't evoke that.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (mfb)
SR4 was intended to be more 'street level' and 'gritty'.

Was, perhaps, indeed.
I've yet to find a strong stament of that 'setting' in SR4.
James McMurray
Of course, if you're looking to play a street level and gritty SR4, you probably won't squeeze every last die out of the system to craft your living legend. Luckily for us SR4 let's you start as a gimp or a god. Go team!
Cain
QUOTE (Azralon)
QUOTE (Cain @ Mar 30 2006, 09:39 PM)
It becomes harder to alter things on the fly; if the guards are getting mowed down too easily, it's a bit obvious if their body suddenly jumps from 3 to 5.

"Alter things on the fly" = "GM cheating." Something I do not do.

That's one of the reasons I liked allocateable dice pools. You could simply have the guards change out their combat pool usage to either be more defensive and retreat, or become more agressive and lethal. I had a lot more flex in the lethality of a combat, just by having a backup option.
"Gaming isn't about only accepting the rules we like and discarding the rest." Incorret. Every game out there will have rules my group likes and rules we don't. It's called "house rules" and it's an integral part of every gaming experience outside of tournaments, and even those generally have a few tournament rulings or bannings thrown in.

And how far does that go? If you're having to house rule everything down to the core die mechanics, at what point does it stop being the same game? I've seen conversions for Shadowrun to GURPS, and even a few stabs at D20. Would you consider those to be the same game? I wouldn't.
"Would you put the blame more on your own skills, rather than the system? " When did I ever say the system was perfect? When did I ever say it had to be? For that matter when did I ever say there was nothing wrong with my gaming / GMing skills?

Yes you report that you find it necessary to hand down GM fiat on many things. No system is perfect, but many can avoid needing total GM smackdown at character creation. Generally, the problem tends to come from a system that encourages abuse (and doesn't reward saner characters) or an inexperienced GM who's uncertain about how to appropriately share storytelling goals with his players. I've been assuming the former, but if you think it's the latter, that doesn't mean there's anything *wrong* with your GMing skills. They could just use some improvement, which can be said for all of us.

Basically, if you think the system is why you have to hand down GM fiats, then you're proving my point about how easily broked SR4 is. If you think it's all in your own skills, then I'm wrong.
Azralon
QUOTE (mfb)
i posit that difficult tasks are not difficult enough in SR4, at least for high-end characters.

Those are precisely the people who are supposed to be capable of performing them.

QUOTE (mfb)
SR4 was intended to be more 'street level' and 'gritty'. maybe it's just me, but living legends who are larger than life (holy alliteration, batman!) simply don't evoke that.

You're correct; living legends are not low-end characters. Not a particularly profound or useful point to make, but it's at least correct.

You are, however, incorrect in assuming (or at least, apparently asserting) that all SR4 characters are inherently living legends.

QUOTE (SR4 p72)
For example, if a group is interested in a low-level street campaign, the GM may only allow 300 BP to build starting characters. On the other hand, if the group likes high-powered, elite-operative campaigns, they may need 500 BP for starting characters.

You want street? Then play street. You want legend? Then play legend.

Don't call the things on the buffet table inedible just because you can't figure out how to work your plate.
mfb
QUOTE (Azralon)
Those are precisely the people who are supposed to be capable of performing them.

not with the frequency with which they are able to perform them. a guy with uber skill and stat, with no bonuses (cyber, magic, edge) can perform feats regularly that the listed real-life counterparts would find incredibly difficult.

it's not about what i want. it's about what the setting is intended to evoke. all the material says that the game is supposed to be more gritty and street. the rules themselves, however, do not support this. if i came to the table for a Mexican buffet, i don't want to see half the table filled with escargot.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (mfb)
all the material says that the game is supposed to be more gritty and street.

Uh, where?
Azralon
QUOTE (mfb @ Mar 31 2006, 04:41 PM)
it's not about what i want. it's about what the setting is intended to evoke.

No, actually, it is about what you want. FanPro specifically made the game scalable to multiple playstyles and power levels so as to satisfy as many people as they could.

It's utterly ridiculous to condemn them for offering that flexibility.

"Would you like a small, medium, or large soda, sir?"
"Large?! What the hell are you trying to pull? I came here because I liked small drinks, and here you are offering me a large!!! I'm never coming here again!"
"Yes sir, thank you. There's the door."

Hooray for more food analogies.
Azralon
QUOTE (mfb)
all the material says that the game is supposed to be more gritty and street.

Uh, where?

Yeah, what he said.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012