Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lasers in SR4
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Perssek
I just got my 4th edition copy and noticed that among the weapons (of course, it´s only the BBB, but it should display the most common and/or useful stuff) wasn´t any laser. I remember the Ares Laser MP (and his Fields of Fire cheaper version), and somebody told me that that was something called a Shiawase Redline (is it right).

Anyway, while I know that lasers guns and cyberpunk aren´t exactly compatible with each other, why there isn´t any in the 4th ed. (although there´s a microwave "pain inducer")?

And while you´re on the subject, what should be the stats for a laser gun in SR 4?
Lindt
Because its the core book. There wernt lasers in the sr3 core book. Or the Sr2 book. Deal with it.
Platinum
Just take the damage level of a sniper rifle. use 8P till the book comes out.
rozark69
Lindt I think you are a little bit of a prick 'deal with it'? he was asking a simple question in plain english and you got to be a dork? wow you must be one of those billy no mates characters. I dont have 2nd ed and I sure as hell didnt know 3rd ed didnt have lasers in it either just because you snort the text dont be a cocky dick. I know that may be against nature but hey. To all I apologise for the use of language here but some people just get me so wound up. sorry to anyone it may offend......except Lindt that is.
DocMortand
....and yet another honest thread gets hijacked.
Lindt
Sweet, I de-lurked someone.

First off, hes in the wrong part of the board. Sr4 has its own special home.
Second, yes, I am a prick.
Third, Its generally considered bad form to launch straight into person insults before devolping your arguement.
Fourth, Im not offended.
eidolon
ohplease.gif
hyzmarca
A SR4 "laser" should probably have an extreme AP value, at least -10, because its a "laser".
Teulisch
actualy, a laser does its damage via heat. as such, i would expect it to count as an elemental attack, versus half armor and reduced by 'shiney' armor mods.
Adam
QUOTE (Lindt)
Sweet, I de-lurked someone.

First off, hes in the wrong part of the board. Sr4 has its own special home.
Second, yes, I am a prick.
Third, Its generally considered bad form to launch straight into person insults before devolping your arguement.
Fourth, Im not offended.

Fifth, telling him to "deal with it" in such a manner was completely unecessary when he was asking an honest question.

rozark, if you feel you have to apologize for a post, please don't make that post in the future.

[this post has been 100% Administrator Content.]
Cain
Lasers don't necessarily do their damage through heat. Here's a link to a site on LASIK surgery that briefly goes over "cool" lasers, which don't generate heat but can destroy tissue.
eidolon
QUOTE (Teulisch)
actualy, a laser does its damage via heat. as such, i would expect it to count as an elemental attack, versus half armor and reduced by 'shiney' armor mods.

Rifts addresses this in a pretty nifty manner. Try hitting that Glitterboy with your Wilk's Pulse Rifle. biggrin.gif
Pendaric
It will proabliy be in the cannon comp equivelent, so its a wait and see..no sweat sir
Ironfish
They have, in past editions been presented with other advanced rules in future supplements. I would imagine that we will see lasers along with miniguns and other Wiz toys in the weapons supplement. It was supposed to be called arsenal I think.

On a side note, I am getting ready to run a 4th ed game and 3 of my players expressed relief that lasers and miniguns were left out of the core rules. Yeah. Surprised me too.

ronin3338
QUOTE (Teulisch)

I half agree. The damage is because of the high energy transfer to the target, generally as heat, but I don't think I would 1/2 armor. The laser still has to burn through, so I would go wtih Hyz's high AP value instead, and use the "shiney" mods for anything reflective.

(Security armor may not have a mirror finish, but I bet that visor does) biggrin.gif
jervinator
In many other games, lasers are great at penetrating and maintaining accuracy (though not always power) at long range, but their total damage capacity is somewhat limited. Earlier SR versions gave the laser a high power and moderate damage level; I assume that this was to put a smallish hole (Moderate damage) through heavy armor (power levels in the teens).
I would imagine that the SR4 version will be low damage but high AP; somewhere between 3P/-8 and 5P/-12 as a guess.
rozark69
Well the apology was boarderline sarcastic actually but hey. so theres a sr4 section I didnt know that guess I will have to deal with it.
IAmMarauder
QUOTE (ronin3338)
QUOTE (Teulisch @ Apr 1 2006, 12:15 AM)

I half agree. The damage is because of the high energy transfer to the target, generally as heat, but I don't think I would 1/2 armor.

According to the BBB, lasers are defended against using impact armour, and the value is halved as well.

QUOTE ("From the BBB (Page 149)")
Impact Armor
    Impact armor protects against projectiles with lesser kinetic transfer: blunt projectile weapons, explosives, melee weapons, and stun ammunition.
    To a lesser extent, Impact also protects against falling, fire, laser weapons, electrical attacks, and Indirect Combat spells—apply half of the Impact armor rating (round up) to such damage, unless otherwise specifically noted.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012