Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RL Corps in 2070
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Muskie
Has anyone done any fan sourcebooks concerning RL corps in the 2070s?

In my campaign, Google is now a Subsidiary of Horizon, doing Funky AR stuff for free in exchange for targeted Horizon Ads (Google Earth has Live feeds now nyahnyah.gif)

Anyone else have any idea on what corps of today actually survived to 2070, let alone what they're like now?

Muskie
stevebugge
Some of them are actual Canon entities. Federated Boeing for example is basicly the good old lazy B. Others are referenced as being parts of the Megas, Corporate Shadowfiles and Corporate Download both contain information. Smaller companies can probably be safely incorporated however you need for your game. Again corporated Download and Corporate Shadowfiles reference what sectors each of the Megas have their strengths in. For examle Aztechnology is the leader in foodstuffs, they own the Stuffer Shack chain and numerous food companies. In all likelihood they probably own a chain of more upscale supermarkets, though that is not Canon (because how many Shadowrunners shop at the local market and have time to make a home cooked meal?) you could insert your favorite chain (Kroeger, Whole Foods, Albertsons, Safeway, etc.) in that role as a subsidiary. Of course there are lots of smaller local, regional, national, and international non extraterritorial companies out there too, and these small guys can make interesting players in your world.
bclements
AZT is supposed to own Carrefour's (a supermarket conglomerate over in the EU and in China). Now that I've finally got an in-person group to run, I'm having them own Wal-Mart. Ares owns Kroger.

The players are, well, having fun with this smile.gif
Kremlin KOA
funny
Most professional criminals DO have time to cook for themselves
nick012000
Microsoft renamed itself Microdeck following the first Matrix crash, and became a peripheral company, though I wouldn't be surprised if that was about to change. Afterall, MS invented the tactics the megacorps use today. I think it's time for them to show them that the original is still the best. wink.gif

Sure, it'll never be a AAA, but it could quite possibly become a AA.
Edward
QUOTE ( stevebugge)
because how many Shadowrunners shop at the local market and have time to make a home cooked meal?

I dispute that. Most runners only work one weak every month. Why not cook good food.

Edward
The ubbergeek
In an incomming game where the runers travel unto the 'Green Southern Lands', I am thinking about including local corporations as A, maybe some AA. Like that infamous Globo, the brazilian version of Fox.

If I remember well, Embraer, the local big planes makers who clashed with our Bombardier still exist as a part of Aztechnologies and had to move out (A guy on a Toronto Shadows setting website used Bombardier and another also of our local jewels, thought i don't know if it's canon).
JongWK
In an incomming game where the runers travel unto the 'Green Southern Lands', I am thinking about including local corporations as A, maybe some AA. Like that infamous Globo, the brazilian version of Fox.

You mean GloboTrid. It has already appeared in State of the Art: 2064, in some Amazonian-related stuff. cool.gif
The ubbergeek
Thank you for the info, man. I will look at this.

BTW, are they as controversial in the future as it is now? biggrin.gif
neko128
QUOTE (Edward)
...one weak...

One weak what?
brennanhawkwood
A bunch of today's corps around in some form or another...look at some of the equipment and vehicle names. I expect most of the ones that still have a 'presence' have been folded into one mega's portfolio or another though. I remember Microdek being mentioned (IIRC Gates III was in charge). Wasn't Apple mentioned in the CalFree sourcebook?
SL James
Yes. It's owned by Ares.

QUOTE (nick012000)
Afterall, MS invented the tactics the megacorps use today. I think it's time for them to show them that the original is still the best. wink.gif

HAHAHA

Oooookay...
The ubbergeek
Since we speak of it...

Anyone know the fates in Shadowrun of the grand ol' videogames corporations - Nintendo, Sony, Sega, the holder of Atari's things? I have the idea of a run around 'electronical archeology' of Pre-Crash codding and games in the future (maybe linked to the Amazonia one). Any official hints? smile.gif
stevebugge
QUOTE (The ubbergeek)
Since we speak of it...

Anyone know the fates in Shadowrun of the grand ol' videogames corporations - Nintendo, Sony, Sega, the holder of Atari's things? I have the idea of a run around 'electronical archeology' of Pre-Crash codding and games in the future (maybe linked to the Amazonia one). Any official hints? smile.gif

Lots of those are probably swallowed up by Mitsuhama and Reraku, though you could easily have them operated as subsidiaries retaining the familiar names. I think the new SR4 "On the Run" adventure deals a bit with legacyware, so I think that's viable as a plot point. Besides if you look at the number of video games out today that are pretyy much repacks of older games, it's likely that the industry is looking for "lost" games to repack.
The ubbergeek
Yeah, albeit I was thinking about some weirdo futuristic tech geek and mad collectionor. ^^ But all good.
Firestorm
QUOTE (The ubbergeek)
the holder of Atari's things?

That's Infogrames.

As as far as I know, despite being holder of the Atari brand it's no way as big as Nintendo or Sega.
Demonseed Elite
Infogrames is sort of mid-sized in the scheme of game publishing companies and is itself in big financial trouble lately. The big players in gaming right now are Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, and Electronic Arts. Sega lost a lot of ground but still makes games and is now owned by Sega Sammy Holdings, a company that brought together Sega's assets with a Japanese pachinko parlor company.

By 2070, I imagine most of the original gaming assets have been bought and absorbed into newer companies (much like Atari was bought by Infogrames). We do know that Microsoft still sorta exists as MicroDeck, but they are a much paler version of the old MS and likely don't do a whole lot in the gaming business anymore. Sony still exists too and likely still controls its gaming assets.

In my games, I had Sega taken over by MCT and now used primarily as a front for electronic gambling (especially Yakuza-run operations in Japan). I had Nintendo bought out by a young Inazo Aneki in his early acquisition days and it still remains part of Renraku and part of the gaming biz. I haven't given much thought to EA's fate before now, but they make a great candidate for absorption into Horizon.
Butterblume
I think Blizzard must be mentioned... i don't know what their profit is, but with literally millions of gamers paying a monthly fee, the turnover must be really big, especially compared to other computer gaming companies.
Demonseed Elite
Blizzard is a studio and doesn't do its own publishing. Vivendi Universal Games publishes Blizzard's games, and they are a mid-sized publisher based in Los Angeles, which itself is a 99%-owned subsidiary in the big France-based Vivendi Universal S.A. conglomerate. The success of World of Warcraft made Vivendi pretty much the only gaming publisher to post a profit this year, but it's still small compared to the other companies I posted.

What becomes of Vivendi in SR is anyone's guess. Possibly Lofwyr snatched them up, maybe they formed a foundation of what is now Hermes Eurocom, or maybe they just fell apart in the Crash. As for Blizzard, it's equally fuzzy. Developer/Publisher relationships can change; there's no saying Vivendi will still be publishing Blizzard's games five years from now, no less decades in the future.
Butterblume
I stand corrected.

I doubt they will go down before the first Matrix crash wink.gif.
Demonseed Elite
And actually, I have to correct myself here. nyahnyah.gif

Blizzard isn't just having its games published by Vivendi, it's actually a subsidiary of Vivendi. So the developer/publisher relationship won't change unless Vivendi sells them.

In 1994, the company briefly changed its name to Chaos Studios, before finally settling on Blizzard Entertainment after it was discovered that another company with the Chaos name already existed. That same year, they were acquired by distributor Davidson & Associates for under $10 million. Shortly thereafter, Blizzard shipped their breakthrough hit Warcraft.

Blizzard has changed hands several times since then: Davidson was acquired by a timeshare company called CUC International in 1996; CUC then merged with a hotel, real-estate, and car-rental franchiser called HFS Corporation to form Cendant Software, in 1997. In 1998 it became apparent that CUC had engaged in accounting fraud for years before the merger; Cendant's stock lost 80% of its value over the next six months in the ensuing widely discussed accounting scandal. The company sold its consumer software operations, including Blizzard, to French publisher Havas in 1998, the same year Havas was purchased by Vivendi. Blizzard is now part of the VU Games group of Vivendi Universal.
stevebugge
French Company Vivendi, perhaps in the holdings of a certain France based brother and rival of Lofwyr.........
Perssek
QUOTE (JongWK)

Globo, a version of Fox? I donīt know Fox enough to say that, but Globo is powerful enough to elect and drop presidents at the tip of a hat. They are THE original open TV definition here in Amaz... I mean, Brazil.

Of course, they have a great staff, produce excellent news and entertainment shows, span over the WHOLE country, and virtually every big city (including capitals) has one of their franchised office. Is Fox like that? I REALLY donīt know.

Some of my SR games are set in Braz... Amazonia, so I use them all the time for news references, but didnīt new that Globo Trid bit (mostly because until recently - when I bought 4th ed., I only played 2nd edition).
The ubbergeek
Fox is very big and influencal also, and known (infamous) for it's decidedly rightist, neocon bias. I remember hearing similar vibes from Globo, who blasted Lula. But you know more than me on that...
Nath
Ares Global Entertainment, the third most important AAA holdings in the media sector (after Horizon and MCT), is headquartered in Paris, France. The place probably weights a little bit more in the videogame industry than in the TV/Trid, music (and simsense I guess). I can perfectly imagine Ares marketing "the only Knight Errant-sanctionned FPS".

Also, the three major channels in SR are CBC, NBS and ABS (got the pattern ?), respectively owned by MCT, Ares and S-K. IRL, NBC entered a partnership with Vivendi to refund the TV/movie branch, taking a 20% stake.
MK Ultra
QUOTE (bclements @ Apr 3 2006, 07:20 PM)
I'm having them own Wal-Mart.

Somewere in SR canon "Kong-Wal Mart" was mentioned repeatedly, though I canīt remember where, might even have been with the subsideries in CD.

I allways had Aztech own Nestlé, Jacobs-Kraft-Suchard, Coca-Cola Company (and I believe Pepsi, too, but Iīm not sure).

EDIT: Basically, I gave them allmost all the well known consumer gients and made new ones up for other megacorps with consumer interests.
fistandantilus4.0
IIRC , as of SoE, Sony is owned by SK. I know they purchased Siemens too.
Dranem
Some of the big players are still around, but not mentioned.
Like that nice little Sony logo on the cyber-wrist gyromount wink.gif Nice to see that Sony is still dabbling with multiple technologies.
I can imagine that companies like Mitsumi and Toshiba are either their own megas or were bought up by outfits like Renraku, Mitsuhama and whatnot.

[edit]
Or did I miss Sony somewhere... need to find what I did with my copy of Corporate Download...
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Apr 7 2006, 01:00 AM)
IIRC , as of SoE, Sony is owned by SK. I know they purchased Siemens too.

No, Sony is its own corporation, at least as of 2064. It's possible SK purchased a part of it, but you'd have to find me a reference for this, because I'm not aware of it off-hand.
fistandantilus4.0
I was thinking of a listing in SoE, and double checked it, and your right as far as I can tell. It was probably Phillips (pg 24) I was thinking of. Thanks DE, wouldn't want to lead anyone astray. I'll double check because I had though there was a reference somewhere, but for now , it wasn't the one I was thinking of at least.

stevebugge
Also I can't remember which of the Japanacorps it was, but I do recall one of them being described as having grown out of Matsushita Electric, who you may better know as Panasonic.
Firestorm
QUOTE (stevebugge)
French Company Vivendi, perhaps in the holdings of a certain France based brother and rival of Lofwyr.........

Vivendi is a bit "special" even for a French company.

they are major shareholder in a mobile phone operator ( SFR, with Vodafone as minor Shareholder ), they are also holding Canal+ which is the 4th TV Channel in France ( and is a pay one ), through Canal+ they are still holding the Paris Saint Germain Football ( Soccer for those on the other side of the pond ) Team..... and about 10 years ago, the only thing they were doing ( before Vivendi was called Vivendi ) was selling water. ( public service stuff )

What a change.... Even more radical than Nokia that came from making paper to building mobile phones.
Nath
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
I was thinking of a listing in SoE, and double checked it, and your right as far as I can tell. It was probably Phillips (pg 24) I was thinking of. Thanks DE, wouldn't want to lead anyone astray. I'll double check because I had though there was a reference somewhere, but for now , it wasn't the one I was thinking of at least.

If my handle had achieved enough notoriety, I could just say "I don't remember anything like that" and make the point.

But.. ok, I wrote the corporate chapters of both SoE and SoA -the later features an entry for Sony- and compiled a corporate index through 95% of SR sourcebooks (I'm a bit thin with adventures on the other hand) for use by SR authors. And, I don't remember anything like an indication of any sort about any of Sony shareholders wink.gif
fistandantilus4.0
I looked it up in SoA last night when I got home to see if I was talking out my ass. I was. biggrin.gif Apparently Sony is alive and well and independent, and even has a biotech division.

Seriously though, thanks for checking up on me. That's why I make sure to say "IIRC". Hate to lead people astray. Nice work BTW Nath. I especially liked the shadowtalk bits in those sections.
CountZero
In my own campaign, M&M/Mars is still in existance, still independant, still trying to dominate in food-stuffs (going up against Aztechnology). Oh, and any employees who leave Mars for Aztechnology, funny thing - there seems to be a hit contracted on those employees not long afterwards.

(I've said it before, and I'll say it again, "Emporarors (sp) of Chocolate" is a must-read for Shadowrun GMs.)
Ophis
Cadbury's should also survive, being as they were the first company to build and run a town for their employees back in the 1800's. Though they could be part of Proteus now. They started the ideas that lead to Arcologies, so it would make some sense.
Muskie
Damn. Didn't think I'd get this many replies. thanks for the ideas. nyahnyah.gif
Kremlin KOA
you bastards, I am going to be the one sufferinf for your helpfulness nyahnyah.gif
Aku
Hershey's did it as well, i dont know the dates tho
Nikoli
Ford also did, the old fogies in near the town where I grew up in Alabama still curse his name for backing out of a deal that would have had Muscle Shoals owned wholly by the Ford Car Company. The even have an official day about it. It's wierd, in the run up to the deal, the town spent a huge amount of money making the place ready (in the hopes of sealign the deal I'd imagine. There are old cotton fields with sidewalks running into them for no apparant reason and things like that.
Grinder
Same in East Germany biggrin.gif
After 1990 so much money flew into the new federal states that they didn't know what do with it. Huge industrial parks had been built, even if there was not a single company willing to settle there. Small villages got their own huge indoor pools etc pp.
It would be funny, if we don't have to pay for maintenance now and if not all states in east germany (west as well) are collapsing sooner or later due to financial problems.
Muskie
I always thought Mitsuhama began with a Mitsubishi-Yamaha merger..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012