Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New cyberware: MechaShiva.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
emo samurai
How much would a MechaShiva rig cost? You know, like, 8 arms springing from 2 shoulder sockets? And would you need to cyber up pretty much everything else just to accomodate the insane extra weight? And what bonuses would you get from a MechaShiva rig?
GrinderTheTroll
I think you forgot to take your meds this morning.
PBTHHHHT
uhm, emo, could you post these new stuff in the dedicated threads we have for you? Please?
Squinky
I think the closest thing in shadowrun rules regarding extra cyber-limbs were the gun arm dealys you could get for your cybertorso in the last edition, man and machine....Might take a gander at that.
Crusher Bob
Unless you want to houserule a lot, SR does not handle transhumanism well. The simplest opation is to have the extra limbs as drones that happen to be attached to you, rather than 'cyber limbs'.

emo samurai
uhm, emo, could you post these new stuff in the dedicated threads we have for you? Please?

My god, it's like you think of those threads as some sort of cyber-padded cell.

Then again, you probably do.
Azralon
QUOTE (emo samurai)

My god, it's like you think of those threads as some sort of cyber-padded cell.

Then again, you probably do.

See, even crazy people can be insightful. wink.gif
emo samurai
That's okay. Sanity is boring.
Butterblume
It's like we want to know where to look if we're bored, or drunk, or both.

I don't want to read something like that if I'm sober or busy wink.gif.

On topic: the same thing came up in the building-a-drone-from-cyberware-thread (aka the arthritic drone thread)

arthritic drones
Teulisch
theres a couple problems with multi-arms like that. first of all, your going to put a LOT of stress on your shoulder. that means its not just the 'arm' thats cyber, your going to need a cyber-torso as well. then theres the question of learing to use all those arms. if splitting your dice pool between two hands is bad, imagine an 8-way split.

the only advantages to having that many arms, will be in close combat (wrestling holds) and possibly a small recoil reduction for heavy weapons (1 or 2 points at most).

Overall, the idea while creative and cool, is impractical and would not sell well. if it wont sell, the corps wont make it. i doubt anyone would ever see it outside R&D.

a similar idea that may work, would be to have special atachmets to the shoulders of the cyber-torso. these add a simple striker limb, giving one dice to melee combat per pair. have it cost capacity from the torso, give it a legality of F, and now you need customized armor, or conceal them under a trenchcoat.
nezumi
As an aside, remember that Shiva also wore a skirt of human arms around her waist. Given the SR4 rules that you get a bonus to your number of damage boxes per limb, that might explain how Shiva wanders through the middle of raging battles without armor (or even a layer of glistening oil).
emo samurai
Shiva's a dude... But yeah, I realize this is impractical. I actually made this thread knowing it was impractical. I just wanted to type "MechaShiva."
hyzmarca
If I have learned nothing from Spiderman comics it is that genetech is the best and most efficient way to get extra arms.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Shiva's a dude... But yeah, I realize this is impractical. I actually made this thread knowing it was impractical. I just wanted to type "MechaShiva."

Too much Venture Bros. for you emo.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
If I have learned nothing from Spiderman comics it is that genetech is the best and most efficient way to get extra arms.

Awww, but spiderman comics (and the movie) has shown the doc ock approach can work too. Heck and you don't have to do the genetech to mutate your body for more arms.

He never said Shiva wasn't a dude, just that Shiva wore a skirt. Or basically whatever an Indian god wants to wear the long flowing stuff. I could go into an analogy of scots and kilts, but I won't.

One thing I would have problem with the multi-arm is the noticeability, you really can't shadowrun that well in many places with that if you want to blend in crowds.
James McMurray
around her waist.
emo samurai
One thing I would have problem with the multi-arm is the noticeability, you really can't shadowrun that well in many places with that if you want to blend in crowds.

Didn't I just say that it WASN'T practical?
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Apr 4 2006, 04:10 PM)
around her waist.

I stand corrected. Ah, he's probably confusing Shiva with Kali, the consort of Shiva, a lovely, pleasant lass.

Yup, and I still have to say that it isn't that practical. And if the whole point of posting was to say mechashiva, we get it. But we would much rather analyze the device and practicality of it.
James McMurray
Or to be more exact, the impracticality of it.

You do realize how impractical the idea is, don't you?
emo samurai
Nah... that was just my evil twin, who knows my forum password, typing it.
Apathy
The best way to whack on people with multiple limbs at once is to hack your sprites into the medusa down the hall.
Azathfeld
MechaShiva, SchmechaShiva.

Just wanted to say that.
stevebugge
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
around her waist.

I stand corrected. Ah, he's probably confusing Shiva with Kali, the consort of Shiva, a lovely, pleasant lass.

On a complete Hindu Mythos tangent, wasn't Shiva the one who crushed Ignorance (which was represented by a Dwarf IIRC) in the Mahabarata?
Large Mike
It might not be practicle rules-wise or setting-wise, but for transhumanist NPCs at least, it's a fun idea. In fact, I've used it before and I'll use it again. (I'm on a transhumanist SR kick.)
Azralon
QUOTE (Azathfeld)
MechaShiva, SchmechaShiva.

Just wanted to say that.

Ooh. Golfclap, golfclap.
emo samurai
Hmmm... yes...
Kanada Ten
Bah, they have these in Shadows of Asia. SURGE: Extra Limb twice and then get a couple of cyberarms. Presto: Mechashiva.
HMHVV Hunter
"And how does it feel to be...A LIAR?! A liar, with pants constantly on fire?!"

Just had to contribute when I saw the thread title smile.gif
Voran
Go team venture!
Kremlin KOA
hmm mechashiva rig with all extra arms having pilot 6, and targeting blades 6 and whatever other autosofts fit

I get friends in melee bonuses by myself
Dranem
QUOTE (emo samurai)

Knowing that this was impractical, but being stupid enough to post it anyway is the one reason why they created the 'emo's latest idiot idea' section... just for you...

Quit spamming the board with idiotic drabble topics.
nezumi
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
around her waist.

Yes, Kali, sorry. Shiva isn't nearly as battle-oriented and there's a temple of Kali down the street from me, so that's where my mind was.
neko128
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)

Kid Stealth, anyone?
neko128
QUOTE (Dranem)
Knowing that this was impractical, but being stupid enough to post it anyway is the one reason why they created the 'emo's latest idiot idea' section... just for you...

On the other hand, if a few of the posters could bear the abject horror of serious comments on the topic, some of us would be very interested to hear reasoned opinions. For example, is there anything in the rules that precludes adding extra limbs via cyberware? Gun turrets and cyber-tails would indicate otherwise to me, though adding a few spare arms would certainly work better with a cybertorso (for reinforcement purposes)...
stevebugge
There was something in Shadowtech or Cybertechnology about penalties for adding extra limbs if you didn't do so in pairs, it screwed up your balance somehow. My books are home and I'm at the office, I'll check when I'm home and get a chance.
Azralon
I think it was Cybertechnology that had the extra limb options; it's been a while since SR3 and I were on speaking terms so my memory will be fuzzy.

Speaking of fuzzy, the cybertails were pretty neat as they gave a pretty beefy bonus to balance checks (which included resistance to knockdowns).
neko128
QUOTE (Azralon)
I think it was Cybertechnology that had the extra limb options; it's been a while since SR3 and I were on speaking terms so my memory will be fuzzy.

Speaking of fuzzy, the cybertails were pretty neat as they gave a pretty beefy bonus to balance checks (which included resistance to knockdowns).

Cybertech happens to be one of the very few SR3 books I have left. I should check it when I get home... Hmmm... I could adapt it a bit and create a six-armed tailed melee-monster NPC to annoy my PCs.

See, this is why I love this board: The horrible cruelty it encourages me to inflict on my players...
emo samurai

And yet they still come.
hyzmarca
There is only one real problem with a mechaShiva rig, it may make the real Shiva angry. The real Shiva is, of course, in the guise of an uncybered mundane guy with a teeshirt, chinos, unsually think wrists, and a mullet.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (emo samurai)

And yet they still come.

Because it's like gathering around the scene of a car crash and gossiping to each other about what happened and how terrible of a scene it is.
emo samurai
Who said I didn't intend it to be this way? MUHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!

You take the matter of MechaShiva way too seriously.
stevebugge
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Apr 5 2006, 08:56 AM)
There is only one real problem with a mechaShiva rig, it may make the real Shiva angry. The real Shiva is, of course, in the guise of an uncybered mundane guy with a teeshirt, chinos, unsually think wrists, and a mullet.

You mean that the Real Shiva is actually.............Chuck Norris!

Wait does that mean that Chuck Norris crushes Dwarves under his foot?
emo samurai
No, just ignorance.
nezumi
Are there any rules for installing large pieces of metal in your body that don't actually do anything? I know that cyberlimbs have space for random equipment, but is there a reason you couldn't actually install a drone into your own body? It seems like the only essence cost would be a VCR. Then you have a custom built drone installed around your ribs (or maybe just worn like a jacket). You give it a command to always attack what you're attacking and leave it be (or perhaps the VCR isn't even required, let the rigger reprogram it and you wear it). Then you have eight arms working independently for little essence loss, running on its own initiative.

Just make sure you never hit yourself.
James McMurray

You kniow, if I were emo, statements like this would make me go out of my way to find idotic drabble to spam the boards with. But I'm just that type of guy. Something about pompous asses thinking they own the world annoy me.
emo samurai
No, I do enough of this just being myself. It's less trouble that way.

But yeah, I wish that this board would put people on probation for trolling as stringently as they did on Something Awful.

That would, of course, leave us with no one to talk to, but sometimes, that looks like a good idea.
JonathanC
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
around her waist.

Yup, and I still have to say that it isn't that practical. And if the whole point of posting was to say mechashiva, we get it. But we would much rather analyze the device and practicality of it.

Actually, Kali is a goddess of death/destruction, not a peasant, and technically an aspect of Parvathi. Kali supposedly kills Shiva at some point. Cultists devoted to her worship are commonly known as "thuggees", who you may remember from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.
stevebugge
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Apr 5 2006, 01:22 PM)

Actually, Kali is a goddess of death/destruction, not a peasant, and technically an aspect of Parvathi. Kali supposedly kills Shiva at some point. Cultists devoted to her worship are commonly known as "thuggees", who you may remember from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

And also the root of the word 'Thug'
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012