Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vat-grown organs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Azralon
DocWagon, here we come.

These are technically cultured (cloned) replacement organs. We've previously been able to culture tissue segments successfully, but this is the first full organ mankind has whipped up in a test tube.
Squinky
I'm sure we'll all here about this in a few years when they start growing gigantic "Wangs". At least in our e-mail....

But, that is very awesome.
emo samurai
That is 73|-| 4VV350|\/|3. Why didn't it work before? Because bladders are simple organs?
hobgoblin
its basicly the size, and that a bladder is more then just a bag to hold your liquid waste. it have muscles that need to be in specific places and similar so that it can function properly...

still, compared to say a heart, a bladder is a very simple organ nyahnyah.gif
Azralon
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Apr 4 2006, 01:57 PM)
That is 73|-| 4VV350|\/|3.

<slap>
NightHaunter
QUOTE (Azralon)
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Apr 4 2006, 01:57 PM)
That is 73|-| 4VV350|\/|3.

<slap>

And another from me.
The is not spelt teh.
Jhaiisiin
Some of the patients have now been followed for more than seven years.

So in reality, they actually figured this out 7 years ago, but waited until now to mention anything because they wanted proof it worked? Cool. Makes me wonder what else they've done since then....
Azralon
While I doubt there's some clever geneticist with a secretly homegrown statuesque redhead tucked away, you'd think that replacement livers would be more commonplace. I mean, livers are supposed to be easy.
fool
I heard a report on this from NPR the other night and according to them they figured out that they might be able to do it 7 years ago but only now had any success. Interesting since the bladder is the simplest of the inteernal organs.
nezumi
I thought the dental filling was the simplest of organs...

So how long until we can do the Raelian brain transplant and never die? Or until we no longer need to have sex to reproduce? And how difficult would bioware be with this?
kigmatzomat
Teeth aren't "organs" really; they are extrusions whose function is solely on form.

A bladder is an active structure that responds to commands and serves a purpose. One problem with bladders are if they don't discharge sufficiently they leaving enough fluid behind to foster a septic environment so this is a significant achievement.

I figure we're another 10 years away from the first of the complex organ growths testing out successfully. It will probably be a pancreas as it isn't as particular about the structure as some other organs are and it would be a boon to a huge number of people with diabetes. AFAIK, kidneys require too much plumbing to be an early "clonal" product but they will probably be right after pancreaseseses. (I just couldn't stop....)

I won't be surprised if the first "heart" looks nothing like the real thing and is really two separate pump bladders operating semi-independantly at lower than normal blood pressures. The heart is a pretty complex thing, so complex that even after millions of years of evolution it still doesn't always get put together right. We will probably need a few decades at least to get the process down.

"Bioware," in the sense of replacement organs that function significantly better than completely healthy organs, are at least 50 years away as I expect there to be significant consquences that affect the body as a whole.

For what it's worth, I am neither a doctor nor a biomedical researcher.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (kigmatzomat)
For what it's worth, I am neither a doctor nor a biomedical researcher.

But you did stay at a Holiday Inn Express... wink.gif

I await the day when they can figure out how to make new eyes and to know how to connect the nerve endings to them so that people can replace damaged/lost eyes. Though cyber eyes are just as good as opposed to being blind.

Or until we no longer need to have sex to reproduce? And how difficult would bioware be with this?

Wouldn't that be artificial insemination? That's the equivalent of not needing to have sex. Need more input of what you mean.

I do wonder how far along they are in developing an artificial womb. That's gonna be interesting for those who wish to not have to deal with the whole ordeal of labor and the time/effort of the entire pregnancy thing. I can see the rich/famous/workaholic execs doing this kind of thing once it's viable.
nezumi
I should say, will we no longer need to go through the stress (and stretching) generally required to properly produce offspring? Can we just send our DNA samples off to the baby factory and expect a FedEx delivery in approximately ten months, assuming all our checks clear? Would it come with a return policy?
NightHaunter
Can I place an order for 1 space heart and 1 spare brain.
Grinder
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
I await the day when they can figure out how to make new eyes and to know how to connect the nerve endings to them so that people can replace damaged/lost eyes. Though cyber eyes are just as good as opposed to being blind.

Yeah, I'm waiting for this day too...
ronin3338
QUOTE (NightHaunter)

Oooh, a space heart... can I get one too? biggrin.gif

Personally, put me on the list for a liver and a stomach.
Squinky
Put me on the list for the redhead....
Platinum
You can take mine, only slightly used.
ronin3338
QUOTE (Platinum)
You can take mine, only slightly used.

Your liver or your redhead? biggrin.gif
Azralon
Heh. Well done.

(The one-liner, not the liver or the redhead. Although I suppose a nice Chianti would help either of them go down.)
fool
as far as the next organ to be produced, I kind of doubt it will be the pancreas as the pancreas is responsible for producing large volumes of enxymes and even some hormones (like insulin).
Regrowing nerves in eyes is already at the cutting edge. Nerves regrow amazingly well, but the idea of transplanting them isn;t advanced yet.
ronin3338
QUOTE (Azralon)
Heh. Well done.

(The one-liner, not the liver or the redhead. Although I suppose a nice Chianti would help either of them go down.)

I don't like liver, and I prefer my redhead's al dente. biggrin.gif
James McMurray
With teeth?
Azralon
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Apr 6 2006, 04:56 PM)
With teeth?

Well, admittedly I prefer them with teeth too. Although if they don't know how to manage them during the aforementioned "going down," we'll have a problem.
ronin3338
QUOTE (James McMurray)
With teeth?

"to the tooth" meaning firm and pleasing to the bite love.gif

Teeth on her are optional, although Azralon makes a good case for them being a Flaw rather than an Edge. eek.gif
NightHaunter
QUOTE (ronin3338)
QUOTE (NightHaunter @ Apr 6 2006, 09:59 AM)

Oooh, a space heart... can I get one too? biggrin.gif

Personally, put me on the list for a liver and a stomach.

Yeah a Liver sounds good too.
sandchigger
Vagina dentata?
Azralon
QUOTE (sandchigger)
Vagina dentata?

See, here we were having a pleasantly inappropriate conversation and you had to get all scary on us.
sandchigger
It's not scary if the words bring the song to mind. nyahnyah.gif
ronin3338
There's a song about... well... that? Teeth, down there? eek.gif
b1ffov3rfl0w
"Vagina dentata, what a wonderful phrase"? That one?
Squinky
I'm proud to say I have never heard that one...
Kremlin KOA
anyone got an mp3 link?
sandchigger
That's the one! And it's not in mp3 format, it's in webcomic format...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012